Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 06:35   #106
Senior - BHPian

I went to attend some niggling rattles which were not rectified during the second service.
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:34   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blue beauty! Carib. Blue Alto LXi

Car is now 18 months old. Last service (third free service) was done in June'10, when the oil and filter were replaced. Distance covered since that service is exactly 2000 KM. The next service as per the manual is the fourth paid service and falls due in June'11.

Should I do an interim paid service now? They have services called 7 point check / 21 point check etc. Will it serve any purpose or can I straight away go for the fourth service in June? Given my current usage, I may do another 3000 KM or so in the meantime. Suggestions are welcome!
Old 13th May 2012, 14:05   #108
Senior - BHPian

Took the car to MSM for a water wash this morning. Bad idea. While taking the car inside to the wash area, a stupid SA named Senthilnathan hit a four feet high, 3" iron pipe fixed in the floor. I mean the kind which are fixed at regular intervals and linked by a chain, to prevent access to certain areas.

The pipe was uprooted and the base went under the car. The bumper is bent and broken, right in front of the driver's seat. When the car was lifted up and examined, there were scratches under the sump but no damage. There are scratches on the tie rod but no visible bend. There is a visible bend in the horizontal section immediately behind the bumper, though no damage to the radiator or any other parts. There is a dent on the bottom inner portion of the part where the front wheel is attached to the chassis.

I have authorized due repairs under my insurance and instructed them to replace whatever parts need replacement, no compromises. Since I am under their platinum scheme, I need not bear any depreciation loss either. They offered to foot the entire bill but I did not want it for two reasons; one was that the entire cost will be recovered from the individual's salary. Though he fully deserves the punishment, my heart says no. The second reason being, they may go for compromises and repair certain parts. The insurance is due for renewal next month and I will lose Rs 1165.00 towards NCB. They assured that the careless SA will make good this loss, which is fine with me. He should not go Scot free.

I hope the car is delivered back in perfect condition. I have asked them to touch up the anti rust coating wherever it is damaged and to test the car on the suspension/side slip/ brake tester after the job, in my presence.

However careful we are with our rides, our peace of mind is lost due to the carelessness of the workshop people. It really sucks.
Old 13th May 2012, 19:31   #109
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Gansan,

I am sorry to hear about the plight of your Alto. It does make one's blood boil when the car is damaged for no fault of ours. The steering components are sensitive to external forces and if there have been scratches on the tie rods, lower arms or the stabilizer bar (the horizontal part behind the bumper you refer to) you can bet top dollar that the steering geometry will have been affected. Make sure you keep a hawk's eye on them when they check this. Also has there been any damage to any body panels, a/c components?

Can you post some pics of the damage for us to get a better idea?

I think it is a big gesture (and a good one) on your part NOT to ask them to do the repairs on their own and have it deducted from the errant service tech's salary. Also tell them about this forum and tell them that everything will be detailed here in writing. I did this with an errant Hyundai A.S.S a few years and within a few hours of posting the info on a dedicated thread, the Works Manager called me and apologized and set right my problem.

I do hope the car is delivered to you in original condition. Sometimes, these things happen and there is not much you can do, so you have to take it with a pinch of salt.

Regards,
gpa
Old 13th May 2012, 21:04   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Gansan,

The steering components are sensitive to external forces and if there have been scratches on the tie rods, lower arms or the stabilizer bar (the horizontal part behind the bumper you refer to) you can bet top dollar that the steering geometry will have been affected. Make sure you keep a hawk's eye on them when they check this. Also has there been any damage to any body panels, a/c components?

Can you post some pics of the damage for us to get a better idea?
I checked up the part names you mentioned on the web! The stabilizer bar is the one that is having scratches, not the tie-rods. They said straight away it has to be replaced. The part that is bent is a horizontal member above this stabilizer bar (forms part of the body panel behind the bumper), and supports the mountings for the radiator etc. I was told it would have to be pulled straight using a puller device or cut away entirely, and a new one welded in to place. When I expressed concern about the structural integrity, I was told this is merely a supportive frame for ac and cooling system parts and not part of the monocoque body frame.

There is no damage to any ac components or body panels. But there is a dent in a rigid part (flange?) where the right side front wheel is mounted, which they say can be repaired without any ill effects. This seems to form part of the chassis itself and is a vertical, hollow rectangle in appearance. I will find out the name tomorrow.

I did not have my camera mobile with me today. Even if I did, the pictures would not have been very clear, given the light inside the workshop.

I am assured there will be no difference in the steering or handling. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 16th May 2012, 07:27   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the stabilizer bar (the horizontal part behind the bumper you refer to)
I went to the body shop yesterday and learned the part I referred to is called the "cross member". The replacement of this part and it's painting was complete, and the front bumper/grille was about to be replaced. The car will be taken to the test bed for checking suspension/steering components today, prior to replacing whatever is necessary.
Old 16th May 2012, 08:09   #112
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I went to the body shop yesterday and learned the part I referred to is called the "cross member".
Great to know there has been progress. The stabilizer bar is bolted on to the area just under the cross member so do check that as well.
Old 16th May 2012, 21:39   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great to know there has been progress. The stabilizer bar is bolted on to the area just under the cross member so do check that as well.
Took delivery of the car this evening. Car seems to be quite OK. Did not notice any issues while driving back home. Will know for sure when I take it to Pondy and beyond in a couple of weeks. They have promised that issues if any, that come to light in the coming days, will be attended pronto.

The following parts have been replaced; Complete front lower cross member, Hood lock brace, and full front bumper/bumper cover/bumper grille/bumper grille garnish/chrome emblem. There was a dent in the lower arm mounting, which has been straightened out with a puller. A coat of anti-rust paint applied on this spot as well as the sump, which had minor scratches. Cost of repairs; parts Rs 3585.29, labour Rs 4440.99, Total Rs 8026.00. Completely covered under cashless Maruti insurance under MSM's platinum scheme, I did not pay even a rupee. I will go there on Sunday to renew the insurance, when they will make good the loss of my NCB amount of Rs 1260.00, which the errant SA will bear.

They say there are no issues with any other steering/suspension parts, so none have been replaced.

They have straightened out and fixed the damaged number plate, which I did not like. They have promised to procure one for me from outside.

Last edited by Gansan : 16th May 2012 at 21:47.
Old 18th June 2012, 14:03   #114
Senior - BHPian

After filling the fuel tank of the Alto last time, I have done nearly 200 KM and the fuel gauge is still showing almost full level. What could be the reason for this? A struck fuel float?

Normally it will be just above the half way mark by now.
Old 18th June 2012, 14:18   #115
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After filling the fuel tank of the Alto last time, I have done nearly 200 KM and the fuel gauge is still showing almost full level. What could be the reason for this? A struck fuel float?
It is unlikely that the float will be stuck. It could be the fact that the float is moving, but the reading/change in levels is not being registered by the gauge. Check with MASS and see if this can be fixed, else they will ask you to replace the fuel level indicator/float system in the tank.
Old 5th June 2015, 15:05   #116
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up this thread after almost three years. Any updates on you blue beauty, Gansan My Alto just crossed the 70,000 kms mark last evening and I will be posting a LTO update over this weekend.
Old 5th June 2015, 21:21   #117
Senior - BHPian

My car has just done 24k. I replaced the fuel tank sending unit and the steering box a year back. Car is running fine. Some of my periodic updates have gone in to the Maruti service is cheap (myth?) thread. So I have not reproduced them here!
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 20:44   #118
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car has just done 24k. I replaced the fuel tank sending unit and the steering box a year back. Car is running fine. Some of my periodic updates have gone in to the Maruti service is cheap (myth?) thread. So I have not reproduced them here!
Hi Gansan,
Bumping up this thread (again) after two years. How is your Alto now? I'm compiling a long-term report on my Alto and that will be up in a few days.

Cheers,
gpa

Last edited by gpa : 1st September 2017 at 20:56.
Old 5th September 2017, 21:39   #119
Senior - BHPian

Hi, car is fine. Just crossed 28k on the odo, it is used only during the weekends and for out of town trips. I do just one annual service with oil/filter/air filter change. And change the Gear oil, coolant every two years, unmindful of the low running. And there are no issues.

Completed the 8th year service a couple of months ago. All the above mentioned items, plus spark plug and fuel filter were also changed. Clutch had become hard so they recommended change of clutch plate, though said I could drive some more time if I wish. I told them to change it. I don't want any nasty surprises in traffic.

Battery (second one) is four years old, but was found to be alright when tested. The MRF tyres are 8 years old now. They look good with plenty of tread and no cracks. I thought of changing them to be on the safe side but the SA told me to wait for some more time, and to get from outside as their prices will be MRP. He recommended to be careful during highway drives though. A friend (employee of Michelin) has promised to get me 20% discount.

I am considering a mid life upgrade, may be I will get alloys for the car.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 23:04   #120
Senior - BHPian

So Gansan sir how is the Alto doing? Did she cross 40k on the odo ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks