Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 16:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: My Santro Xing: Now crossed 78000 kms

Thanks Mayank. In my earlier M800 I had never bothered to change the transmission oil. I bought it with around 22K on the odo and ran up about 60K on my own, the transmission was still running good. That's why the query.

Have already filled the brake oil in parts as I got the front discs and rear cylinders replaced within a space of a few weeks. Haven't bled the system and refilled completely. Same goes for coolant. Haven't really emptied and refilled it. Actually I haven't poured a drop of coolant into the car in the last three years. Never needed.

So next time I visit the workshop I shall ask about the transmission oil. Will post here the experience.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:54   #62
Senior - BHPian

Update on the FE: refilled the car at exactly 69000 on the odo. The FE worked out to be 15+. The major change was I checked and filled air in the tyres, so maybe I need to check it more often.

Workshop visit planned tomorrow.
Old 4th April 2011, 20:40   #63
Senior - BHPian

Workshop visit didn't occur for many reasons. However I got a flat last night. It must have been a slow leak because the right front tyre did seem more deflated than the others. Finally it gave up last night.

Got around to changing the tyre a couple of hours back and after struggling with an obscenely small tommy I put the spare up and drove to the tyre shop. The valve was leaking. It was duly replaced and the tyre put back on and the spare back in the boot. Out of curiousity I checked the prices for new tyres with the owner. He inspected the current tyres I have (which are close to five years old now) and said they still had about 10k life left in them.

Then he gave me a different approach to buying the tyres. I had originally thought of changing at least two tyres which had worn out more than the other two. He said the remaining life of my existing tyres would be around 10-12% of their total useful life. Buying new tyres now, instead of after the present set wears out completely, means I would be consuming about 12% of their value earlier than I had planned. On the other hand if I replace the tyres now, I can get a few bucks for the old ones (which I won't get once they have worn out). So his logic is if I can make up that 10-12% of a new tyre's price by selling my old one, I can safely go for new tyres right away.

Price of a new tyre is Rs. 3250/- as of today. He did warn me prices are climbing up and up, but I shall cross that bridge when I come to it.

So effectively if I can get about Rs. 350/- or thereabouts for each of my old tyres, I shall be covering the approximately 12% value that I shall be consuming earlier.

However my running being quite extensive, I am thinking of keeping my existing set as long as it goes, and change the tyres (probably just two, but will take a call at the time) just before monsoon. This way the existing tyres can be used up to their fullest.

Any other thoughts?
Old 4th April 2011, 20:50   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

Price of a new tyre is Rs. 3250/- as of today. He did warn me prices are climbing up and up, but I shall cross that bridge when I come to it.
what???
I changed my santro's tyres, all 5, last year beginning for 10k.
3250?
i paid 3300 for nct5's on the fiesta, each tyre!!
without exchange, both cases(made swings out of 'em in my sisters play school )
and this was just about 5-6 weeks back!
Is there such a difference in tyres too in delhi?

tell you what, ill ask my tyre guy how much he's putting 'em out for now.
Old 4th April 2011, 21:52   #65
Senior - BHPian

I am based in a Mumbai suburb, so I doubt if I shall be able to get tyres from your source Thanks anyways for the price. I shall try and check around near my office and a few other shops.
Old 14th April 2011, 00:13   #66
Senior - BHPian

Changed transmission oil and spark plugs today. As an afterthought also replaced the air filter. Odo is close to 70k now. It's also near the refilling now. So the effect of the gear oil change and spark plug change will only be noticeable at the next pump visit. Last few times I have barely managed 14+. Hope to bump it up by at least a couple of notches now.

Also learnt that the AC gas is leaking and will have to take the car back for a thorough inspection and fixing of the cooling woes.
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

Latest update: The FE is now 14.9, a little better than the last few times. The oil change is nearing, so over the next few weeks I shall be able to see how much I am able to extract from this old mill.

I am also thinking of replacing two of the tyres which are now showing signs of wear and tear. Should I stick to Michelin, as the other two are Michelin, or go for some other brands? Cost of a single tyre was quoted at Rs. 3250/- at Dombivli. Would it be cheaper within Mumbai?

Last edited by honeybee : 22nd April 2011 at 11:42.
Old 20th September 2011, 12:19   #68
Senior - BHPian

Update: There was a severe water leakage issue which was diagnosed to a rusted and therefore leaking firewall section, just behind the steering wheel. The driver side window wasn't operating well, and so I gave the car for repairs to Mega services, which is a Maruti ASC and has been servicing my earlier M800 for about three years.

Along with the above two items, I also requested overhauling the braking system and injector cleaning.

However, this time I was in for a crude shock. Rust proofing was done (though it took two weeks instead of the promised one), driver side window winder was changed and injector cleaning done. The SA informed me he had got all the other three windows serviced.

Items which were disturbed:
1. Wipers changed (this wasn't ordered for)
2. Co-driver window now hard to operate
3. Remote locking malfunction (the locking mechanism doesn't work, however the unlocking works! So when I switch off the engine now, all the doors unlock, and I have to manually lock them!)
4. Too much play in both the clutch and the accelerator
5. Battery mounting bracket and screws not in place (the battery was simply left to rest on the board, without the surrounding plastic bracket or screws)
6. Battery cable not connected properly (read below for more on this)
7. Remote locking light (under the steering wheel) damaged, the lid was removed and left in the side compartment
8. Steering column not fitted back properly (last night I tried inserting the key into the wide gap between the lock cylinder and the steering column)
9. I had stuck a deity's moorthy on the dashboard, which is broken
10. The driver side window which now has a new winder, cannot be rolled all the way up smoothly. By the time it goes from zero to 75%, it plays foul with the channel (lining through which the window slides up/down) and gets stuck about a centimetre from the top ALL THE TIME. The only way to avoid this is to hold it pressed against the channel as you slide it up all the way.
The SA was in a big hurry to hand over the car and wash his hands off the whole affair. I was too dazed to pursue the matter further as every morning I was being delayed for office. I finally decided never to visit the workshop for any work.

The battery cable started giving trouble two days into collecting the car. The car would refuse to start, but I could see the dashboard lights coming on. Finally I got down, opened the bonnet and checked the terminals. This led to the contact being restored and the car finally started. I took care not to switch off the engine.

While driving back I got stuck in heavy traffic in Thane (the engine ran for almost 45 minutes while the car progressed just a few feet). I then crossed into Kalwa and decided to take the Mumbra route (a mistake as well as a blessing), fearing the traffic jam under the Vitawa bridge. I had forgotten in all this anxiety that it was the last day of Id.

As I entered Mumbra, I met a slow moving traffic and a rush of people who had come out to celebrate the Id. The roadsides were full of stalls selling merchandise and the streets were full of people. I managed to creep along quite a distance (all the while the engine running), but finally I missed it in the slow moving traffic and the car stalled. I tried to start it, no crank. I rushed out and opened the bonnet, only to find that the thin plate of metal connecting the cable to the battery terminal had corroded and given up. As I touched it to check it, it snapped and the screw holding it all together went down the engine bay onto the road. It was past 11pm, the street was semi dark and crowded, and a TMT bus and other vehicles had started piling up behind me. I signalled the car had broken down. To his credit the bus driver was waiting patiently.

I appealed to a few passers by for help and a few of them helped me push the car to a side so the traffic could resume. I rolled up the windows and locked the car and started searching for a mechanic.

Flagging down a rickshaw I climbed in and asked him to take me to the only petrol pump in Mumbra, where I hoped to find some help. The car was left abandoned on the street side. After visiting at least three shops, either closed or only dealing with two wheelers, I finally found a mechanic called Salman who would be available even at that time of night to work on it.

It so happens that the father of this mechanic owns a hair-cutting saloon bang opposite the petrol pump, and has a house above the shop. The mechanic, Salman, was at the time having dinner and I waited downstairs for him to come. After about twenty minutes he came down and asked about the status of the car. Then he fetched a few things and we both started walking back to the car.

After reaching the car I was relieved to see nobody had touched it (I was more afraid of someone getting funny ideas seeing an abandoned car on a crowded and dark roadside). Bonnet opened and Salman checked the battery terminal. He checked if the battery still had charge, and then asked me to crank it as he held the wire to the terminal. The charge wasn't enough to start the engine.

He asked if I had water in the car. I opened the boot and found an old plastic bottle full. I handed it over to him. He poured a little on the battery terminals and turning back to me he said, "This ain't water!" I realized to my utter surprise it was actually a bottle of soda. So much the better for the battery.

He then connected the wire to the terminal and then helped me start the engine by pushing hte car. I dropped him off at his place, wishing him Id Mubarak. The guy charged me 150, saying, "I charge the same rate day or night. I have also left word around with other mechanics in case there's an emergency like this, to call me or direct the person to me". What a lucky coincidence.

I drove the car home, making sure the engine was running all the time. After reaching home, waited for a full minute before switching off. Switched on and the engine started. The battery had fully charged.

Next morning I switched to the Ikon and drove it for two weeks, before finally switching back to the Santro.

Because of this battery episode, I lost precious time as well as the FE went for a toss. However I won't be visiting that place again, that's for sure.

Now, the injector cleaning seems to have freed up the engine a little, and specially after switching from the Ikon to the Santro, the car suddenly feel very light and agile on its feet. I am loving throwing it around the traffic overtaking the slow moving vehicles and shaving off a few minutes in my office - home run.

I have refilled the tank today, so by the next tankfull I shall know the FE again.

Last edited by honeybee : 20th September 2011 at 12:21.
Old 25th September 2011, 22:01   #69
Senior - BHPian

Update:
Completed a week of driving, around 180kms covered and the fuel indicator shows about a quarter tank less.

Saturday gave it a thorough wash (including underbody) and then took it to the workshop to get some issues resolved. The rear right door was jammed, and the window winder didn't work (the handle just rotated, without working the mechanism). The winder was faulty and was replaced (something the Maruti ASC service advisor had failed to notice). The AC cooling hasn't been good at all and got the gas refilled. Will now be checking the cooling over the next few days to see if there's any drop again.

Noticed a couple of scratches on the left hand rear panel. I don't remember nicking anything while driving, so it's surprising. The paint has been clean scraped off.

Posting a few pics:
Attached Thumbnails
My Santro Xing: Now crossed 78000 kms-image_080_edited.jpg  

My Santro Xing: Now crossed 78000 kms-image_082.jpg  

My Santro Xing: Now crossed 78000 kms-image_084.jpg  

My Santro Xing: Now crossed 78000 kms-image_085.jpg  

My Santro Xing: Now crossed 78000 kms-image_086.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by honeybee : 25th September 2011 at 22:03.
Old 31st October 2011, 12:12   #70
Senior - BHPian

Refuelled last week, and the FE figure turned out to be 14+! Now that's an achievement. The most worrying part is I don't know what I did to achieve this. I did drive it a tad sedately at times, but this was totally unexpected. As usual I am also going to factor in the possibility that this is a one-off instance, and will keep checking for the next refills and post it here.

The floor mat was taken off during the bodywork at the garage, and now the monsoon is over I think I shall get it fitted back. I suspect the suspension is due for a replacement, and so I shall have to manage the finances carefully. The Santro also is due for a tyre replacement, but I have been postponing it as much as possible. Still not sure if I should go for Michelins or the MRFs. The more I drive my Ikon, the more I am tilting towards MRFs.
Old 5th January 2012, 11:43   #71
Senior - BHPian

Refuelled today morning, and the FE has crossed 15+

This is probably the first time in my ownership of the car that I am getting to see this figure. Again I am stumped as to what has pushed the FE up.

The two significant changes in the past month or two have been the car has been lying idle for days, at times a couple of weeks or so. And I have switched to a different route which allows me to maintain a better average speed.

The driving pattern, the timings, the petrol being filled up all remain more or less similar. The tyre pressure cannot be the reason because I suspect one (probably both) of my front tyres is leaking air. The last oil change was a few months ago and I have been running semi-synthetic oil for more than a year now.

Oh, one more thing: The climate has been cooler than earlier. But still from an average FE of around 13+ would it go up to 15+ ?
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:14   #72
Senior - BHPian

Refilled again today, and the car took in 31.37 litres of petrol. The distance travelled since the last refill was 490.8 on the tripmeter. This works out to 15+ kmpl.

The tyre pressure for all the tyres was set to 32 last week, however I am suspecting the cold weather has a big hand in the drastic improvement in the FE.
Old 17th April 2012, 12:51   #73
Senior - BHPian

Latest update:

Changed all four tyres to Michelin XM1, same brand as was fitted already. The tyre change was caused by a puncture the earlier night and on examining the punctured tyre we found the sidewall had a minor cut. After thinking for a few seconds I ordered a replacement of all four tyres. Thankfully the Michelin dealer (SV Tyres) accepts credit cards, which went in his favour as against the MRF dealer. The three other tyres were purchased by a used tyre dealer for Rs. 750/- So the four new tyres effectively cost around 13k.

Last Saturday the car took in about 28.xx litres of petrol and the tripmeter showed a distance of 502.x kms. A pessimistic calculation of 500kms / 30 ltres shows the FE to be 16.66, while taking in the actual figures the FE comes to 17+ ! Now the winter is long gone and I am driving in blistering heat, I suspect the reason for the drastic increase in the FE is I don't have to face traffic jams anymore. Till last July I had to face the horrible traffic jams at the entire JVLR route in the evenings.

The car has crossed 78k and still running strong. I have a mind to keep it post its 1L mark, as the increased FE makes it even dearer!

Last edited by honeybee : 17th April 2012 at 12:54.
Old 17th April 2012, 14:01   #74
BHPian

Re: My Santro Xing: Now crossed 78000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Latest update:

Changed all four tyres to Michelin XM1,

I suspect the reason for the drastic increase in the FE is I don't have to face traffic jams anymore. Till last July I had to face the horrible traffic jams at the entire JVLR route in the evenings.

The car has crossed 78k and still running strong. I have a mind to keep it post its 1L mark, as the increased FE makes it even dearer!
did you consider at Michelin XM2 as an option?

your observation about JVLR traffic jam is true, FE on my OHC went up by 1.5 KMPL after the additional lanes were opened.

get the suspension work done and there is no reason you shall not keep this car post 100,000 mark.
Old 17th April 2012, 20:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Santro Xing: Now crossed 78000 kms

The mechanic has informed me the suspension is good. After the tyre change the steering too has become much more responsive. There's a bit of rusting on the floor board, so maybe I shall just leave it at the workshop to get a coat or two of paint on the rusted area.

I can't yet believe the traffic jams could have pushed the FE down by about 4-5kpl.

And no, I didn't consider any other options. Since it already rode on the XM1s, I decided to go for the same.

Last edited by honeybee : 17th April 2012 at 20:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks