Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2010, 14:04   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
I am also one of the proud owner of an automatic city for the past six months, i ride only using the D mode & hardly touch the the S mode under which you are supposed to use the paddlle shift one of the main reason i restrain from using the paddle is after used to the automatic mode for quite some time you may forget to use the paddle shift properly whenever its required and this leads to the engine overriding your shifting pattern which will again lead you to confusion so in my opinion the best gear option in our worst traffic scenorio is to go for the D drive which is the automatic leave the rest with the car and rest in peace by the way Right hand side paddle is + , left hand one is - .
Thanks for the info! And congrats for the car as well! Does using the paddle shift change FE compared to in D mode?
Old 11th February 2010, 09:05   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Thanks for the info! And congrats for the car as well! Does using the paddle shift change FE compared to in D mode?

Yes, definetly i have experienced it in the highways where the mileage increases by a margin of 1.5 to 2.5 Kmpl and IMO the paddleshift is quite easy to use in the highway where you don't use it very often and it also helps a lot at the time of overtaking.
Old 11th February 2010, 18:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Karizma, what is the tyre/wheel size you have gone for during the upgrade?
Old 11th February 2010, 19:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, definetly i have experienced it in the highways where the mileage increases by a margin of 1.5 to 2.5 Kmpl and IMO the paddleshift is quite easy to use in the highway where you don't use it very often and it also helps a lot at the time of overtaking.
Not really. Paddles give you manual override. You can either hold gears, rip and burn more fuel, or shift early, sedate and save fuel. Its useful on highways and city drive as well.

When I use paddles to rip to redline, FE indicator drops by 1 - 1.5kmpl. Last tank, I tried to save fuel and the indicator showed 9.8kmpl over 200km of Bangalore city drive in Civic AT.

In D or S(no-paddles), it tends to kick down very easily. This is mainly due to slush-boxes being a little slow to respond and we end up pressing the pedal a little more causing the ECU to trigger a kick-down and burn more fuel; more so in slow moving traffic.
Old 11th February 2010, 20:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

I'm a fuel burning moron and it doesn't kick down enough for me.

Sport mode saves the day!
Old 12th February 2010, 12:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Not really. Paddles give you manual override. You can either hold gears, rip and burn more fuel, or shift early, sedate and save fuel. Its useful on highways and city drive as well.

When I use paddles to rip to redline, FE indicator drops by 1 - 1.5kmpl. Last tank, I tried to save fuel and the indicator showed 9.8kmpl over 200km of Bangalore city drive in Civic AT.

In D or S(no-paddles), it tends to kick down very easily. This is mainly due to slush-boxes being a little slow to respond and we end up pressing the pedal a little more causing the ECU to trigger a kick-down and burn more fuel; more so in slow moving traffic.

I don't understand what the fun in buying an AT and then using the paddle to change the gears instead you can better buy an manual which is cheap & u may get better fuel and better acceleration .

Using a automatic for the past six months after using a manual one for nearly 16 years is like Gods gift to me in the present traffic condition further people who are more intrested in mileage and acceleration can buy a manual instead IMO the paddle in our city's neck to neck traffic is of no use other than using a manual, only in Highways its easy to use bcz of these things 1. overtaking 2. better mileage 3. better acceleration 4.nonfrequent use
Old 12th February 2010, 18:46   #52
BHPian

Using paddles(in an AT) is like midway between manual and fully-auto transmission in terms of ease of use. Even in city traffic, changing gears using paddles is just a tap, unlike MT. To me its like having the comfort of AT(no clutch) and control of MT (to some extent). MT is in a different league altogether. Overall, using paddles does not really mean headache in city traffic, not to me atleast. I use a mix of full-auto-mode and paddles-mode in city though.
Old 12th February 2010, 19:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand what the fun in buying an AT and then using the paddle to change the gears instead you can better buy an manual which is cheap & u may get better fuel and better acceleration .
Well, unfortunately, they don't sell cars with both auto and manual in one car. I bought an AT because it's a daily driver in a busy city. I want the convenience. That doesn't mean I'm a Sunday driver. I want the performance as well. Or I would've bought a Corolla AT and yawned to and from work everyday.

I don't want better fuel economy either. If I can afford a certain car, then I expect me to afford the fuel for it too. Cars are not tools for some of us.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:43   #54
BHPian

I also bought an automatic honda city a couple of months ago. To be honest, i'm not to happy with the car.. It feels too light and there's that annoying fan noise all the time. I had it checked up with the dealer and he said its there in all the cars - they basically reduced the sound dampening to cut costs! I dont know what everyone's raving about so much here.. give me an altis anyday!
Old 11th March 2010, 14:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. I didn't know you could buy an Altis for ANHC prices. Wow, I've been living under a rock.
Old 29th December 2010, 19:23   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All New Honda City Black Auto Transmission - 8000kms Ownership Experience Report

^^ LOL ImmortalZ.

Altis AT is ridiculously overpriced (in Pune OTR it is more than 6 lac more expensive than the Vento AT) and the car isn't exciting at all. If you can shell out that kind of money, Laura diesel DSG (2 lit 140 BHP 320 Nm engine woo hoo!) or the dashing Cruze LTZ AT are a much better bet.

The reason I didn't opt for the ANHC AT (went for Vento instead) is that the interiors are just a complete turnoff for me. That big red hazards button and the weird cream and grey central console didn't do it for me at all! I ish they'd plonked in what they used for teh Jazz instead- it's so much more refined.

Having said that, the paddles are fun to play with and the front grille that the OP has installed does give it a certain classy air. Congrats!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks