Team-BHP - Long Term Ownership Report: Swift VdI- 2 lakh kms, Cost of ownership on Pg 3
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Long Term Ownership Report: Swift VdI- 2 lakh kms, Cost of ownership on Pg 3 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/74632-long-term-ownership-report-swift-vdi-2-lakh-kms-cost-ownership-pg-3-a-3.html)

Boi !! 2lacs in 3 years.....:Shockked:
Now thats what u call a " LONG TERM" report.

Very well put down and it clearly shows that a diesel car with high mileage faces less issues than a car with less mileage.

How frequently did u change the fuel filter ?

Wow that is one long term ownership review in a short time!!!! Thats the way to go...makes the image of the Swift D even better.

Took a while to read through the thread, but hey this is one excellent LONG KM's update! Very frankly you have put lot of longevity doubts to rest for many of us.

cheers
Jaggu

hey guys
thanks for all the feedbacks and everything.
forgot to mention that the steering rack bush on the left wheel develops a play and the bush is not available as a seperate part but the service center guys will advise a full rack replacement.
if you are friends with your service advisor, ask him to dismantle the rack and remove the bush and take it to a decent machine shop. a teflon round bar machined for a tight fit will do the job in about a 100 bucks odd which otherwise would take 23000 rupees to be replaced plus labor.
i did mine up that way.
symptoms are a rumble from the left wheel well which wont go away even if the lower links, ball joints and everything else is put in brand new.
another clatter not to be mistaken for is the noise from the caliper pins which work themselves loose as they are not very tight fits. the noise can be taken care of either by greasing the pins which is a desi way to do things and a slightly sofisticated desi way in which teflon tape is wrapped around the pin and its put back.
if you have the time and a good machinist, about 300 bucks will see that you have a set of tight fitting bushes installed which will make the noise go away for ever.
hope this helps too.
thanks for listening

Superb review epicenterR.!
You really used this car the way its meant to be.

Quote:

He pondered and offered 3.55 lacs for it
Wow ,goes to show that the car is still in great demand.!

In these 2 Lakh kilometers, can you please tell us the amount your had to pay in services etc. and if you are happy with it?

great review,
Can you explain what exactly ie EGR valve cleaning, how long does it take (time wise) & how much cost, because MASS here dont have the faintest idea about EGR valve cleaning.
BTW my SWift VDI has crossed 70,000kms in 15 months.

Yes, as Jaggu said, your review puts a lot of doubting thomas's to rest

@ abhipuru, here is the total cost of ownership excelsheet for your reference...let me know if i have missed out on anything. the costs are approximations which may vary by a maximum of 5%
Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSMINC (Post 1719586)
great review,
Can you explain what exactly ie EGR valve cleaning, how long does it take (time wise) & how much cost, because MASS here dont have the faintest idea about EGR valve cleaning.
BTW my SWift VDI has crossed 70,000kms in 15 months.

Yes, as Jaggu said, your review puts a lot of doubting thomas's to rest

HI GSMINC,
thanx for going through the post.
The exhaust gas recirculator valve runs on the following principle:
(Taken from another Site)

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve is an important part of the exhaust circulation system of a vehicle. EGR valves have been in use in the United States since the 1960s, when car companies were seeking ways to increase the efficiency of vehicles while also decreasing pollution. When the EGR valve is clogged or malfunctioning, it can cause irregularities in engine performance such as rough idling or valve knock, indicating that the EGR valve should be inspected. The EGR valve works by routing a small amount of exhaust back into the combustion chamber. When the temperature in the combustion chamber is too high, nitrogen oxides are produced, which combine with elements in the atmosphere to form smog. Introducing a small amount of exhaust into the system reduces the temperature in the combustion chamber, reducing the amount of nitrogen oxides produced.
Many EGR valves are mechanical, and simply have a small valve which opens to allow exhaust into the combustion chamber and closes when it is not necessary, and to keep the air mixture optimal for combustion. Some mechanical versions will not open until there is sufficient back pressure, ensuring that the valve will not be open when the engine is idle or warming up and needs a higher concentration of oxygen for combustion. Electronic EGR valves are also available, and use electronics to regulate the valve.
If the EGR valve is stuck open, it will essentially cause a vacuum leak, leading to inefficient combustion, rough idling, hesitation, and sometimes stalling in extreme cases. This is because the car cannot combust on carbon dioxide from the tailpipe — it needs atmospheric oxygen. If the combustion chamber is flooded with exhaust from an open EGR valve, it will not function properly. To check and see if the EGR valve is stuck open, have someone idle a parked vehicle with the brake on while you examine the plunger shaft to see if it is stuck open. If the EGR valve is stuck closed, emissions of nitrogen oxides will rise, and the car may start to knock. Spark knock happens when the fuel mixture in the combustion chamber ignites before it has been reached by the explosion in the cylinder, resulting in a disruption of the engine timing. In this instance, the engine should be warmed up and revved to see if the EGR valve will move.
In both cases, simple repairs are possible. The EGR valve can be clogged, and a simple cleaning of a mechanical EGR valve may solve the problem. In the case of an electrically controlled EGR valve or a more complex mechanical problem, replacement of the valve may be needed. The EGR valve is an expensive motor vehicle component, and care should be taken to ensure that it needs to be replaced rather than repaired. A reputable mechanic should advise you appropriately.

For the swift diesel, the car becomes sluggish and when you try to accelerate, it emits black smoke. the idling also becomes erratic and the car sounds rough and unrefined.

The valve cleaning can be done in about half a day where the valve is removed from the car, serviced and then fit back. in some cases, the engine check light may come on and hence the diagnostic tool has to be connected and the error codes removed.

The totat cost of the job is around 1500 bucks and it takes roughly 4 to 5 hours to do it up.

What i have seen, going through the posts on this forum, a lot of guys advise cleaning the egr valve every 30000 kilometers. i will not contradict anyone, but in my opinion, its a precision and a performance related part of the car engine. it should only be opened and serviced in case it causes problems and otherwise not.

These are just my views.
Hope they help

Great car it is. No wonder it is still so much in demand. The average running cost of Rs 2.5 per km is simply 'Maruti' stuff, especially when the figure comes from a car that has run 2L kms. Wow wow wow.... And I am sure you would have taken care of her pretty well. Good going.

Nice review, man!

200 000 kms is no joke, you really used your diesel machine! :)

The thread keeps on getting better with the little new details :)

Keep it up. How is it going with the new Punto?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sn1p3r (Post 1721446)
The thread keeps on getting better with the little new details :)

Keep it up. How is it going with the new Punto?

The punto is doing good...although not as fast and well appointed as the swift but its still a magnificient handler.
The petes box, k&n and if available the remus exhaust will do the needful i suppose...
may also shift over to yokohama 205s from the current 195 goodyears if i get a good price for these :D
just getting the feel of the car as of now.

^^ we eagerly await your review of the Punto :)

After reading your post I was for first time convinced to not use the authorized service center and got my first service done from a known mechanic.

I saved 2k ;) just on the oils and replacements and then minimum 1k on the labor.

Do you plan to put mods after the initial free services or do you put these on during the initial period?

Cheers!

epicenter,
I spoke to the guys from Ecotech Fuelmag Diesel conditioner, Kochi, they are qouting Rs.4000(kerala) & Rs.4500(rest of india),
Is it really worth it, I know it is a simple fix it job like installing a Pete's tuning box,
But if you are carefull in filling diesel only from COCO & reputed bunks, do we really need this Made in New Zealand stuff.