Team-BHP - Long Term Ownership Report: Swift VdI- 2 lakh kms, Cost of ownership on Pg 3
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Long Term Ownership Report: Swift VdI- 2 lakh kms, Cost of ownership on Pg 3 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/74632-long-term-ownership-report-swift-vdi-2-lakh-kms-cost-ownership-pg-3-a.html)

So the car hit the two hundred thousand kilometer mark today and i sold it off. The replacement will be a punto being delivered tomorrow.
Bought it in Feb 2007 when the car had just hit the market and i was driving a petrol swift. Mine was the second swift diesel in south gujarat.

The journeys taken in the car have all been wonderful. Essentially bought as an A to B car to commute to the office which is around 86 kilometers from home.

Except from normal services, there hasnt been any problem with the car except one. The synchroniser rings for the first and the second gear went to hell every 35000 kilometers or so. The first couple of times they were replaced under warranty but when they went the third time, i raised a stink and called the maruti bigshots. Nobody could find a clue to how it kept happening again and again and i demanded a new gearbox but they assured me that if it happened again, they would replace it free of cost if and when and no matter whenever it happened. Got it from them on paper and since the day i bought the car i've replaced the set almost 5 times, the last time about 10000 kilometers ago. Just to let everyone know, if the job is being done at your expense the rings would be around 6500 bucks plus gearbox overhaul labour which is around 850 bucks and oil charges. Takes about a day to fix.

The suspension and the clutchplates were stock till about 168000 kilometers when both the things started acting up and had to be replaced. The original shock absorbers on the diesel are delphis and were replaced by monroes which are now available in the market for a little under 7000 bucks for the full set (two front including springs and two rear dampers). All the other parts were MGP and so was the clutch plate and pressure plate set which cost me around 3600 odd bucks for the complete set. The clutch release bearing was also gone so had to get that replaced too which cost me around 2400 bucks.

The engine was decarbonised and a k&n and a petes box was installed at the same time. The performance increased dramatically and i've had a fun filled time driving the peted swift for the last 32000 kilometers.

Oh yeah, one more nagging issue came when the egr valve stuck and had to be cleaned at about 80000 kilometers. The engine check lights came on and the egr was diagnosed as stuck. Got it cleaned, took a day and 1500 bucks to do it but nothing after that. The battery lasted upto 165000 kilometers. The starts had become longer and the engine check lights and water seperator lights would come and go according to their own whims and fancies. A local mechanic said it would be fuel pump troubles or maybe the injectors. A wireman just changed the battery to check and that was the problem. Considering an average of 4 cranks everyday, 365 days a year, the battery lasted about 4300 cranks which is not bad at all. Changed it to exide maintenance free which cost me around 6500 bucks and came with a warranty of 5 years. Never had a problem after that.

I'd shifted over to 130/100 halogens with ceramic holders and a mechanical relay the day i got the car. Only had to change the left headlight bulb once. Even the fog lamps didnt blow out ever. Changed the wiper blades a couple of times to the stock ones and then got wise and shifted over to the bosch ones which are still going strong. Had installed a fuel mag in the car for better fuel conditioning and the car ran smoother than normal cars.

The car got a bit water logged this year in the rains and when i wanted to start it to move it over to a drier place, it wouldnt. Fearing water entry into the engine through the silencer, called the towing service to take the car to the authorised service center. Fault diagnosed was that the wiring harness leading from the fuel transfer pump to the main loom had been gnawed by a rat which may have been seeking shelter from the rains and was hungry. 424 rupees fixed it and all the thoughts of selling off the car because it was gonna cost a bomb to repair vanished with the rains. It was during this time that the fuel tank was removed to check if there was water inside the fuel when the benefits of the fuel mag were felt. The tank was absolutely sludge free.

The original tires that came with the car went kaput at around 36000 kilometers. Switched over to hankook blackbird vs and they lasted an amazing hundred thousand kilometers when they were again changed at 137000 to continental premium contacts. These tires are still going strong and will last another 20000 kilometers according to the condition they are in right now. Oh yeah, the rims are stock, not even a kink or a bend on them. Balanced and aligned the tires every 20000 kilometers or so. Had to change a couple of stripped studs on the hubs a couple of times, but from what the mechanics tell me its usual.

Did Valsad Jaipur which is exactly 1100 kilometers in 13 hours non stop in this car. Also did Valsad Delhi which is about 1350 kilometers in 18 hours non stop. Ahmedabad has been done about once a month and same is mumbai and pune. Average mileage has been around 23 to a liter with the best being 24.5 and the worst being about 21. After the petes box and k&n, the mileage has been a steady 24 without any issues. i dont drive at 80kph and i am a trigger happy guy doing 3 digits most of the time and ready to floor it whenever i can.

Owning the car has been a happy experience overall. The ride quality has been good and so has been the fuel economy and the maintenance costs. The average running cost was around 2.3 rupees a kilometer and with three of us traveling in the car most of the times it adds up to not more than 1 rupee per person which is the least to say absolutely affordable.

With marutis, the squeaks and rattles start early and not all can be eliminated as they always believe in building a light car. This one has had its own share of noises but most of them were fixed as soon as they were detected. we stopped bothering about the ones that werent.

had been wanting to buy the punto ever since it was launched, but just waited to see nagging issues if any to be ironed out by tata. a friend was looking for a swift diesel last week and when i offered mine for whatever he was quoting, he said he'd think over it and let me know. He was at my place the next morning with a mechanic whom i didnt know and after checking the car and taking a 30 kilometer drive, he came back and asked me what i wanted for the car. i said it was his offer and if it was within my expectations i'd say yes, if it wasnt, i wouldnt have a problem and could drive it around for a couple of more years and put some more kilometers on it.

He pondered and offered 3.55 lacs for it. i sold it off on the spot with a condition that i'd remove the petes box, and let him have everything else which included the k&n, a blaupunkt modena mp54, a pair of blaupunkt front speakers, a set of very nice sounding pioneer 6975 3 ways, a velocity series tube woofer with a gt mark 4 amp, a hydraulic jack and all other tidbits. He agreed and paid 5000 upfront and promised to be back with rest of the money the next day. i requested whether i could keep the car till i had the new one. Again, he agreed. So the punto comes in tomorrow and the swift just logged in 200000 today when i gave it away.

Wel thats all i've experienced with the swift. what i've seen is that its a very forgiving car. you dont need to change oils every 5000 kilometers and you dont need to look under the bonnet or anywhere else for that matter very often. a little care and this car will go a long way. even with so many kilometers on the odo, the car has managed to hold to 160 on expressways without any problems. the performance has always been sparkling and i've enjoyed every kilometer i've done in this car.

Again, even with so many kilometers on the speedo i havent seen the oil levels drop or the car smoking while accelerating. Oh yeah, the disk brake pads were changed once at 75000 kilometers and once at 168000 when the rear brake liners were also changed.

All in all a good car to own. If my car at so many kilometers can get me three and a half lacs, just think of the demand this car still has in the market.

Thats my two bits for now. Will be putting up the punto stuff up too as soon as i have the car and start driving it.

Have fun you all and drive safe. Dont forget to wear the seat belt. I never do.

Great to hear that the Swift served you so well, I wish you that you be treated the same way by the Punto too. 2L km in 3years is some driving and I'm sure you would have encountered many a surprises at high speeds, how did the Swift handled them all? What's the reason of not buying a Swft again and a Punto instead?

Hi Epic,

You are great as well as your Swift. It did served great to you. Fine what was the price you got for your sincere swift on re sale after 2l kms.

what your experience tell us is Fiat's master stroke under the hood. By the way 3.55 lakhs is an awesome resale price for a car which had done 2 lakh kms.

That's a nice write-up. 2L km in 3 yrs is close to 6000 km a month on an average ! That surely is the longest ownership report of the vdi.

Hope the Punto serves you well, waiting to hear more on it soon.

Congrats on a 2L milestone and I'm very happy to know that you had a trouble free 200,000...cos I own a Swift D too that I hope to do something close to what you have done!!

Stripped lug nuts have been a bane for me though. 1 lac kms for those Hankooks is simply awesome and so is the mileage!! Hats off.

Drive on,
Shibu.

A very detailed and informative ownership report from you. Wonder, where were you on this forum? You should have started this thread long time back like Jaggu's.

I am really surprised to see the data (kilometers, costs etc.) which you have shared above.

Anyways wish you good luck for your Punto. May you cover the same in your punto without any issues as you did with Swift VDI.

Cheers,
Irish

@ Epic

That is one EPIC of a review.
Two lakh Km on the odo and still trouble free, this is what makes maruti a favorite among the masses. One just can't stop marveling at the success of swift. 5+ years and still going strong. All I can say is kuddos to MSIL, they truly deserve a round of applause.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CliffHanger (Post 1708788)
Great to hear that the Swift served you so well, I wish you that you be treated the same way by the Punto too. 2L km in 3years is some driving and I'm sure you would have encountered many a surprises at high speeds, how did the Swift handled them all? What's the reason of not buying a Swft again and a Punto instead?

a swift again was actually discussed in the family...but the punto looked a better option..change is good :thumbs up

thanks guys for all the replies. just forgot to mention, if the egr valve had gone, it would cost around 7000 bucks to replace.
anyone looking out for part prices and such stuff get in touch and i'll be more than happy to let you know.
this is how we help each other

3.55L for a swift run 2L kms! :Shockked:

The one of the best resale prices i have heard! :thumbs up

Congrats on your new Punto.

Praa

Fod Ditta. Superb in your style - could imagine you writing it :)

Why'd you keep the tuning box - does it fit the Punto?

@cliffhanger: Surpises were few but the swift handled them with its usual no nonsense nitty gritty ways on the road. no hair raisers except for once when the car vaulted over a dead buffalo in the middle of the road at 120 kph at 2 in the morning. it just shrugged a bit and kept on going. inspected it at a petrol pump and the only thing that was damaged was the felt windbreaker under the front bumper.

@navan49: yeah the price was really good. just goes on to show the demand for this diesel hatch.

@extreme_torque: yup. this definitely is the fiat master stroke.

@sap 1975: Thanks buddy. yeah the average run is actually around 6000 kms/month

@shibujp: yeah, the hankooks were actually good tires. wanted to go for them again but the continentals were simply irresistible.

@irish: i was busy driving around notching up the miles. the car is really a wonderful peice of engineering.

@sachinj12: thanks man. thats what makes the maruti an all time hit anywhere in india.

@crazy_driver: its the best resale even for me. my swift petrol had a tad under 70000 kilometers on the odo in the 9 months that i owned it prior to buying the diesel. it netted me somewhere around 360000 and i had to shell out a lot of money for this one.

@phamily man: sir, thank you very much. yes the box fits the punto. same engine, same connectors. just need a k&n and a remus to boot. will be putting up all the details of this one on the board.

Hi Epicenter,

Great to know that you have run Swift VDI for 200000 kms in just under 3 years. I have a VDI which was also bought in Feb 2007 but I have done on 53000 kms so far. So far I haven't had any major issues.

It would be nice if you can answer some questions that come to my mind -

1. How often did you service your car (Every 10000 kms?)
2. How often did you change fluids other than engine oil (Gear Oil, Clutch /Brake Oil/ Radiator fluid).
3. How often did you do wheel Alignment and Balancing?
3. Did you do any specific work on the Brakes in the normal 10 K kms services?
4. Did you do any upgrades to your tyres? Did you go for alloy wheels?
5. What are the symptoms of Synchronization rings wear?
6. Did you carry out any engine decarb or engine flushing ? If yes How often?
7.What % of 2L kms was on good highways?

Hi Diesel Fan,
My reply as under:

1. How often did you service your car (Every 10000 kms?)
The First 3 services were as per the service schedule. After that every 20000 kilometers.
2. How often did you change fluids other than engine oil (Gear Oil, Clutch /Brake Oil/ Radiator fluid).
Gear Oil with every engine oil change. clutch oil only once when the release bearing was changed. radiator fluid every 50000 kilometers. topped up the brake oil. never changed it.
3. How often did you do wheel Alignment and Balancing?
every 20000 kilometers or so.
3. Did you do any specific work on the Brakes in the normal 10 K kms services?
changed the brake pads for the front disks twice. surface ground the discs the second time the pads were changed. the rear brake liners were changed only once at 1.68 lacs.
4. Did you do any upgrades to your tyres? Did you go for alloy wheels?
check the review. stock rims as on date.
5. What are the symptoms of Synchronization rings wear?
never found out. as far as i was getting them for free from maruti it didnt matter :D
6. Did you carry out any engine decarb or engine flushing ? If yes How often?
decarbonised it only once at 168000. cost 3500 bucks.
7.What % of 2L kms was on good highways?
atleast 50 %

Hope this helps.
Thanks.