Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 11:23   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Biju, I too had the same issue and at times, I had to park the car by the side as I was unable to see the road ahead. Then, thanks to my friend,who was with me once when we went to Mysore,who saw me struggle with the mist, asked me to put on the temperature knob to the mid position and direct the air on to the windshield.Within no time, could see that the entire mist got cleared.
Hope this helps.
Joe, Could you give me precise info on these points below. I would like to know your exact settings:

(1) Is your A/C set to produce 'Cold' or 'Hot' air into the wind shield ? What is the mid position as you have written above ? Is is neither hot nor cold kind of a set up ?
(2) Are you taking in fresh air or re-circulating the existing air inside the cabin ? There is a slide control for this in ANHC
(3) What is the blower speed ? Is it set to max or min or mid ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Cubes View Post
Do no blow the cold air directly to the windshield as it cools the glass and causes condensation outside.
To clear the mist do following and you will not have this problem.
1) Keep AC on with internal air re-circulation
2) Keep the air flow to front and/or lower leg area vents. The mist will still go away within a minute.
3) If it gets too cold you can periodically switch off the AC or set AC to lower level of cooling using AC controls.
Thanks 427Cubes. I tried to clean the windshield from inside but it was of no use. As you said, the condensation is happening outside.

Because of condensation, if I switch off the A/C the whole windshield will become misty in a very short time and I had often panicked two or three times in the recent past. It is very scary as you cannot see anything at all

Last edited by Stratos : 2nd March 2011 at 16:46.
Old 14th September 2010, 11:38   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Thanks 427Cubes. I tried to clean the windshield from inside but it was of no use. As you said, the condensation is happening outside.

Because of condensation, if I switch off the A/C the whole windshield will become misty in a very short time and I had often panicked two or three times in the recent past. It is very scary as you cannot see anything at all
Yes, it gets scary specially with the kind of traffic we drive in. No worries now as what I said works for me always and I am sure will work for you too. Enjoy the drive.
Old 14th September 2010, 12:04   #243
BHPian

Google Maps and turn-by-turn navigation in India

If anybody is interested in a gadget like GPS, I can share some news of interest for you.

I bought an Android mobile phone (Operating system from Google). Google is supporting turn by turn navigation in select countries like US and UK as of now. However it is blocked in countries like India, Australia etc.

There is an Android application which you can download and install in your phone to enable turn-by-turn navigation in India. It is in URL: Droid Den - App Guide: Add Turn by Turn Navigation To Android Phones - Droid Den

I have a MayMyIndia GPS navigator already. The map in installed and the routing software runs in the same GPS unit. So you have to buy the GPS unit and map. Also you have to update the maps from the company once a while as new roads would have come or one-ways would have changed, over a period of time.

In case of Google maps, all the information is maintained in Google servers and cloud computing is used wherein the location info (latitiude and longitude) from each mobile is sent to the servers at Google, to get the real time path updates. In this case, you don't have to buy maps or invest in upgrades but it will cost you in air time as your mobile downloads data from the cellular service provider.

I have a prepaid SIM and with the data connection enabled, I drove from Sarjapur road to IIM in Bannarghatta road. Rs 10 was deducted as data charge by Airtel towards that. May be if you have a fixed rate data plan, Google maps would work out cheaper.

Last edited by B103 : 14th September 2010 at 12:11.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2010, 22:37   #244
BHPian

Travelogue of Bangalore-Wayanad trip:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2134746
Old 2nd March 2011, 16:29   #245
BHPian

re: Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!

Finished fourth paid service 2 weeks back. Car had put up around 9500 km by this time.

I am relying on service advisor Manjunath KV of Whitefield Honda at KR puram in Bangalore. Had not handed over my car to anybody other than him after the unhappy incidence with synthetic vs mineral oil earlier. The low beam of one of the Osram bulbs which I had replaced earlier is not working. Had to change it and similar Philips bulb was used for replacement. Bill came close to Rs 3,200 including the pair of bulb. Wheel alignment was not done. Oil change was.

A fellow TBhp-ian called up and asked me to check Honda website to find if my car falls under the list whose 'lost motion spring' had to be replaced.

Honda website indicates that it is applicable for cars whose manufacturing date is from November 2008 to December 2009. Mine is manufactured in Jan 2010. When I input the chasis no in their web site, I was intimated that the part has to be replaced in my car as well.

I did the procedure last monday. Dropped the car at Whitefield Honda in the morning on the way to work and picked it up in the evening. No charges apply to customers. So far so good. I got a free wash and a tissue box.

Note from Mod: Please use the "Edit" button to add to your existing post, if under the 20 minutes limit.

Last edited by Stratos : 2nd March 2011 at 16:49.
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:17   #246
BHPian

It is December 2, 2011 and the car had done 14,130 kms. I was thinking about upsizing the tyres since couple of weeks. Existing City tyre profile is 175/65 R15 (tubeless). I had learnt from multiple sources that an upgrade would help a lot towards increasing drive-ability.

Called up Michelin in Whitefield and Reliance Auto zone in HSR layout. Understood that the price is standard everywhere. Finally, I ended up going to 'Tyre Empire' in HSR because of proximity to home. They are a Michelin franchisee as I understood from talking to them. It is in the same road as Amba Bajaj showroom and ICICI bank in HSR layout.

Existing Michelin tyres had done 14,130 kms. A measly figure of 500/- per tyre was offered as the buy back price for each old tyre. This offer was made after consulting somebody over phone. I checked with 2 stores to find out that the 175/65 R15 sized tyres are not available in both these places. That was quoted as the reason for the low buy back price offered!!

The manager in Tyre Empire was cordial and advised me to drive another 15,000 more kms, before disposing off the current tyres -- considering the low price quoted. He guesstimated that used Michelin tyres at this km range, usually fetches somewhere between 2000 to 2500 rupees.

I was in double mind but eventually made it up to go for the upgrade. Again, the manager advised me to go for 195/60 R15 but I had 195/65 R15 in my mind. Finally, we decided to put one tyre on in the front to test and see. We took the car forward and reverse couple of turns with the full turn of the steering, to check if the tyre indeed scrapes the adjacent areas near the mud guard. It did not. Once again, the manager called up his tyre adviser and returned with the advice to stick to 195/60 R15. I was told that they cannot guarantee that 195/65 R15 is the right upgrade, though it may work in all probability!!

I was emboldened with the experiment of fitting one 195/65 R15. Again, I could remember reading in team-bhp about other people upgrading to 195/65 R15. Decided to go with it finally. I got 4 Michelin Primacy LC 195/65 R15 tyres, each costing 5, 750 (including tax) in Bangalore. Wheel alignment, wheel balancing and nitrogen filling was done. Finally collected 2000 rupees back (500 per old tyre), a Samsung Guru mobile phone as free gift from Michelin, couple of pens and cups as compliment -- from Tyre Empire.

The initial impression is very very positive. I felt the car is much more stable now at speeds above 60. Ground clearance has increased albeit marginally. Braking is very crisp and potholes are way milder than earlier. I assume, that a 120+ drive on an open highway would be a pleasure now. Let me see when can I make it....

Last edited by B103 : 2nd December 2011 at 23:47.
Old 3rd December 2011, 20:38   #247
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...addressed.html

This thread was quite useful as I saw this information, the very next day of tyre upgrade. Here the owner experimented with 5 people sit in the car before turning the steering wheel to either ends, to make sure that wheels don't touch anywhere.

Thread also quantifies that there is a 13mm increase in ground clearance by going for 195/65 R15 profile tyres!! I am not fully convinced. Posted a question in the same thread for the owner to clarify how his calculation relates to the spec (160 mm ground clearance) which Honda had given in http://www.hondacarindia.com/City/specifications.aspx

Last edited by B103 : 3rd December 2011 at 20:52.
Old 4th December 2011, 20:06   #248
BHPian

Tyre upgrade and headlight

Drove a couple of kms today in Outer ring road, Bangalore. Condition of the road is very bad in the stretch between Sarjapur rd junction and Marathalli, because of the ongoing construction work.

Ground clearance has increased significantly and the tyre really cushions out the potholes. I felt that the pickup and breaking experiences had improved as well. Good that I went for the 195/65 R15 upgrade itself. There is marked difference in the driving experience now. For sure, the stock tyres are too insufficient for this car.

I am attaching a pic of the right headlight. See the deformation inside the red circle. Those of you, who had followed this thread would have read that I have upgraded the stock bulbs to Philips. I noticed this deformation after a long drive to Ooty. This does not seem to be an external scratch made by a biker or some similar object. It is kind of a bulge in the plastic which I could not feel much with fingers. I am assuming this was made by the excessive heat emitted from the new bulb, though I cannot vouch for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-headlight.jpg  

Last edited by B103 : 4th December 2011 at 20:33.
Old 5th December 2011, 07:54   #249
BHPian

I took a tape and did some measurements on a couple of cars parked in the basement of my apartment. There is my tyre upgraded Honda City, another City with stock tyres and a SX4 in the basement.

Measured the distance from the level ground to the jack attachment point. This was done for all the cars on the driver's side and where the front door ends and before back door starts.

This is what my tape showed:
City with 195/65 R 15 tyre: 25 cms
City with stock tyre: 23 cm
SX4: 27 cm

For sure, there is an improvement in ground clearance as per the measurement. You can feel the same while driving on the road as well.

Honda website tells me that the ground clearance for a City is 160mm which is 16 cm. This is less than what I saw in the City with stock tyres. May be, Honda is calculating the ground clearance differently -- like the distance to the bottom edge of mud guard or to some part under the chassis!! The two points which usually scrapes are -- the mud guard and the jack attach point.

Last edited by B103 : 5th December 2011 at 08:05.
Old 16th January 2012, 01:05   #250
BHPian

@B103,

Thanks for the very informative account of the tyre upgrade.

Did you find the rear seat comfort better now? Bobbing action reduced?

How has it affected your mileage?

Did you consider Yokos?
Old 16th January 2012, 22:06   #251
BHPian

Tyre upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@B103,

Thanks for the very informative account of the tyre upgrade.

Did you find the rear seat comfort better now? Bobbing action reduced?

How has it affected your mileage?

Did you consider Yokos?
Charthom, Rear seat was always comfortable in the Honda City. Never had any issues and did not bother to check out. Any particular reasons for asking?

Wavy feeling esp at speeds is primarily because of the soft rear suspension and not the tyres. It still persists.

I am more or less getting the same fuel efficiency. The Michelin tyre which I upgraded to, has a higher percentage of soft compounds and induces smooth rolling motion and reduced friction. I did not consider Yokos though I have heard that they are good tyres.

Attaching a pic from an educational pamphlet from TATA-AIG insurance company. Interesting to read what they mentioned about tyres. May be, it is nothing new but still caught my attention because of the way it is presented:
Attached Thumbnails
Dream comes true -- Silver Honda City AT, now 10 years up!-dsc_0004.jpg  

Last edited by B103 : 16th January 2012 at 22:09.
Old 17th January 2012, 00:15   #252
BHPian

Re: Tyre upgrade

Quote:
Any particular reasons for asking?
Thanks for the info mate. Pl read my thread"Does anyone buy a ...." the answer is there.

Quote:
Wavy feeling esp at speeds is primarily because of the soft rear suspension and not the tyres. It still persists.
This is the point I was anxious about.I hoped may be the tyres may contribute a bit.

Quote:
I am more or less getting the same fuel efficiency.
Nice to note this.

Attaching a pic from an educational pamphlet from TATA-AIG insurance
Quote:
company.
Very interesting.Thanks for sharing.
Old 17th January 2012, 20:31   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info mate. Pl read my thread"Does anyone buy a ...." the answer is there.

This is the point I was anxious about.I hoped may be the tyres may contribute a bit.

Nice to note this.

Attaching a pic from an educational pamphlet from TATA-AIG insurance

Very interesting.Thanks for sharing.
There is a cost-effective albeit unsophisticated solution available for simulating a firmed up rear suspension. Check out this thread from GTO:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html

May not be an easy decision though!!

Last edited by B103 : 17th January 2012 at 20:39.
Old 19th January 2012, 00:46   #254
BHPian

Quote:
There is a cost-effective albeit unsophisticated solution available for simulating a firmed up rear suspension. Check out this thread from GTO:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html

May not be an easy decision though!!
Thanks for this info B103. will definitely check out this product.
Old 19th January 2012, 09:14   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this info B103. will definitely check out this product.
Though a cost-effective solution, seems that GTO was not very happy with the way the car performed in the highway. He did not feel any difference. Wobbling irritates you the most when you take the car on highways, isn't?

Alternatively, you can go for a new set of performance suspension at the rear. Some details are present in the same thread from GTO. It may cost close to 40K. May be, you can send a message to GTO asking for the details and the place to buy it reliable.

Last edited by B103 : 19th January 2012 at 09:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks