Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 08:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

That's a lovely beast with wonderful presence!
Old 26th February 2010, 09:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hi 4x4addict, that's a wonderful looking beast there, with lots of features! Are the 3rd row windows closed, or do they roll down?

Congrats on the buy!
the third row windows can be opened slightly like in the tavera but cannot be rolled down.
Old 26th February 2010, 10:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Heartiest Congratulations, so finally your steed is here! I know that a lot of research & thought went into this & I'm sure you've made the right decision.
Have fun
Old 26th February 2010, 11:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely fabulous, congratulations.

Waiting for more pictures in Offroad settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

I have front facing third row seats. TFront facing third row can be removed without any tools. Once you fold them and release the rear bracket, they can be lifted out of the front hinge. I keep them at home to reduce the dead weight I am carrying. It will help with the mileage.
Someone was saying that the 4x4 is only available in one seating configuration, the 7 seat with side-facing rear seats. Anyway, good to know you have captain seats middle row and a front facing third row.

One question, can the third row seat be installed in the middle row as well?
Old 26th February 2010, 11:47   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Heartiest Congratulations, so finally your steed is here! I know that a lot of research & thought went into this & I'm sure you've made the right decision.
Have fun
Thanks guys.

@Suman. I did put a fair amount of research into this. But since it was down to just two vehicles, Safari & Scorpio, there is only as much research you can do . Both have their good points and flaws and I guess, you have to pick the lesser devil that meets your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

Someone was saying that the 4x4 is only available in one seating configuration, the 7 seat with side-facing rear seats. Anyway, good to know you have captain seats middle row and a front facing third row.

One question, can the third row seat be installed in the middle row as well?
Scorp 4WD is available only in 7 Seater Combo. Initially I was told that I would have to pick the 7 Seater with the side facing third row option. My plan was to find a used third row front facing seat and install it. However, I was pleasantly surprised when my salesman got a call from Mahindra asking if I wanted the captains or reglar 7 seater combo.Since captains was the only way to get the front facing third row, I went for the Captains chairs in the middle. I noticed that the floor has the attachments for the regular middle row from the eight seater. So you can buy the captains and source the sliding middle row from the eight seater and you can have an eight seater 4x4 (after market). This was my plan but now that I have got used to the captains chairs I won't bother to change them.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 26th February 2010 at 11:49.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats,

A superb 4wd SUV. Now time to check its 4wd capability. I know it is hard to put your new SUV to test, but lets take it on some harm less trail ensuring no damage to your handsome hunk.

Bring it to Kelambakkam do not do what jeeps do there, but feel it how it handles rough/ bad roads requiring 4wd.

BTW treat us for laying hands on a Scorpio 4wd
Old 26th February 2010, 12:22   #22
BHPian

4x4,
when are Hellas and bull bar coming up? looks like you went for a different floor mat from the transparent ones you enquired - any particular reason?

I would love to see your opinion of ride quality on rough country roads.

Cheers
Old 26th February 2010, 12:31   #23
BHPian

Congrats on the new beast !
Old 26th February 2010, 14:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, beast looks stunning,

And I agree the Wiper sensor sounds useless, instead ACC could have been more useful addition

And captain seats looks a very comfortable options for 4 individuals on long drive, and removing third row seat give plenty of boot space to play cricket(little exaggeration )

Last edited by rkbharat : 26th February 2010 at 14:05.
Old 27th February 2010, 13:15   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Congrats,

A superb 4wd SUV. Now time to check its 4wd capability. I know it is hard to put your new SUV to test, but lets take it on some harm less trail ensuring no damage to your handsome hunk.

Bring it to Kelambakkam do not do what jeeps do there, but feel it how it handles rough/ bad roads requiring 4wd.

BTW treat us for laying hands on a Scorpio 4wd
I got a chance to use 4WD on my way to the office. The usual short cut we take was dug up by a JCB to build a small water drain. All cars were going to the point and turning back to take a longer route to avoid the construction. I just put in 4WD and drove right over the excavated mount of soil to the bewilderment of the JCB operator and the crew working there.. Guess 4WD can be used on my daily office commute as well .

A treat is definitely in order my friend. Maybe after this Sunday's OTR. I check with Arka about potential body damage in the Kelambakkam OTR and decided against coming in my Scorpio. But then again when you have an MM540 with a Turbo DI engine, front and back LSD, OKBJ with wide axles, bilstiens, shackle lift etc, why bring a Scorpio to the party .

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
4x4,
when are Hellas and bull bar coming up? looks like you went for a different floor mat from the transparent ones you enquired - any particular reason?

I would love to see your opinion of ride quality on rough country roads.

Cheers
Planning to add bull bar and lights later. The transparent floor mats are no longer available according to the guys at the showroom and they gave me these for free. I drive on some non tarred country roads every day when taking a short cut to the office and I am okay with the ride so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Congrats, beast looks stunning,
And captain seats looks a very comfortable options for 4 individuals on long drive, and removing third row seat give plenty of boot space to play cricket(little exaggeration )
My kids actually use the space at the rear without the third row seats. So it is actually a playground. I was concerned about them opening the rear door but it looks like the version with the front facing third row can be opened only from outside as i couldn't find any handle to open the rear door from inside. This put me at ease with the kids being back there. I am just planning to throw a bean bag back there instead of seats for the kids to chill there.
Old 27th February 2010, 14:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

While the exterior skirts still continue to suck big time, I quite like the interiors.
The position of the 4wd switch is way better than the Safari. I still dont like the lack of power window switches on the doors.
So your Scorpio is effectively a 4 seater with captain chairs... which I think its just amazing, with the amount of space thats liberated in the process.

The price for the 4wd Scorpio makes it a truly attractive proposition, especially with the autobox, abs, etc.
Im quite impressed with this package and If I had this option at the time of purchase, this would be my call too.. ofcourse I would love to rip those gujju(no offense to any gujjus reading this) skirts out as soon as I took delivery.
As you rightly point out, I wonder why Tata cant provide captain seats for their flagship suv, and I dont think its there in the 2010 Safari either.

Congrats 4x4 addict. A very good purchase. Hope you enjoy it to the hilt.
Old 28th February 2010, 17:42   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
While the exterior skirts still continue to suck big time, I quite like the interiors.
The position of the 4wd switch is way better than the Safari. I still dont like the lack of power window switches on the doors.
So your Scorpio is effectively a 4 seater with captain chairs... which I think its just amazing, with the amount of space thats liberated in the process.
Less said about the skirts and walrus tooth the better. Wish Mahindra wouldn't hire jewellery and salwar designers for the vehicle division.

Having powerwindows switches in the center console is more cheaper as otherwise there will have to be an extra switch for the driver and the side front passenger. The rear passengers have their own switches in addition to the center switches.

If I install the third row front facing seats, it is a decent seven seater with limited luggage space after that. With the third row removed it becomes a very spacious four seater with enough space for camping gear etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
The price for the 4wd Scorpio makes it a truly attractive proposition, especially with the autobox, abs, etc.
Im quite impressed with this package and If I had this option at the time of purchase, this would be my call too.. ofcourse I would love to rip those gujju(no offense to any gujjus reading this) skirts out as soon as I took delivery.
As you rightly point out, I wonder why Tata cant provide captain seats for their flagship suv, and I dont think its there in the 2010 Safari either.
Price was a big factor for me. 1.6 lakhs difference for the version with Air Bags and 4WD was too much to ignore. But in true Mahindra fashion, they have a 3 channel ABS system with a single sensor for both rear wheels as opposed to a 4-Channel ABS for the Safari which is more effective. A couple of more pennies saved for Mahindra I guess. Mahindra, if you want my opinion, save the money spend on the light sensors and rain sensing wipers and give Auto climate control and 4-Channel ABS.

Tata fails to capitalize on it's advantages. When both were launced the Safari was much much better in all aspects except for Tata's infamous quality control. However Mahindra kept improving the Scorpio year after year when Tata chose to continue to sell their flagship SUV with an underpowered 90 bhp turbo lagged engine in the process. If Tata's had shown the same hunger/passion as Mahindra to continuously improve the Safari, I feel it would have been a different story now.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 28th February 2010 at 17:43.
Old 28th February 2010, 22:23   #28
BHPian

Hi 4X$ addict..

Congrats on your new buy..

i am planning to go for 4X4 MT or AT scorpio..

need your help in understanding discounts we can negotiate with Inda Garage or MPL..

So did u have any good/badinfo on AT scorpio?
Old 28th February 2010, 23:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If Tata's had shown the same hunger/passion as Mahindra to continuously improve the Safari, I feel it would have been a different story now.
Well unfortunately its still the same story. They have released the 2010 Safari with chrome grill and interior cosmetic changes.
Sorry for a little OT here, but they could have moved that damn 4wd switch, provided the bucket seat option for the rear, given roof integrated ac vents for the dual ac and improved the quality of the plastic fittings and the beading, done something to reduce the wind noise above 100kph. But it seems that the buffoons at Tata are still sleeping.

Oh yes, Now Mahindra has got some serious passion for that toothed grill. Its ugly beyond par and now adorns almost the entire Mahindra range. Wait till they add braces for that tooth..
Old 1st March 2010, 15:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

4X4,

Congratulations on the wonderful piece of Black there! Good show! Happy Motoring!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks