Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2012, 19:01   #91
BHPian

Re: Scorpio VLX 4WD 43K Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Doc Mohan, could you please let us know about the availability / sourcing and costs of the Bilsteins that your friend installed?
[/left]
[/center]
Dear Sir , checked back with my friend immediately on phone , the Bilsteins are on his 2WD Scorpio mHawk. They cant be fitted on to the 4wd set up . The ride quality was reported to have improved markedly, however the bushes wear out pretty fast .
Recently , some Scorpio owners have gone ahead with Tein high performance suspension kits. I dont know if any one from the forum have used them or know about the results.

Last edited by mohan : 30th December 2012 at 19:28. Reason: typo
Old 30th December 2012, 19:16   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scorpio VLX 4WD 43K Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
Dear Sir , checked back with my friend immediately on phone , the Bilsteins are on his 2WD Scorpio mHawk.
I think the rear suspension is the same for 2wd and 4wd. Any idea where he sourced them from, and costs involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
...Tein high performance suspension kits.
Is this the same as what Red Rooster Performance (http://www.redroosterperformance.com...carmodel_id=23) gives?
Old 30th December 2012, 20:07   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Scorpio VLX mhawk 4WD with Air Bags EDIT - 43000 kms update

Ironman is supposedly developing an suspension set up with a 20mm lift so I am planning to try that out. It includes, 4 Gas shocks, 1 set of springs for the rear and 1 set of Torsion Bars.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:27   #94
Senior - BHPian

Exactly two years now. My Scorpio VLX 4WD has been driven 10600 KM now. Most of the odometer clocked on the 5 trips I did to Agra from Delhi in it. About 3500 KM in all. Besides that it did Delhi- Aligarh route twice only on Mild off road / village tracks quite negotiable in 2x4 mode as well.

At the end of 24 months the rear driver side door does not open from inside. I checked there is no child lock mechanism on it.
The front passenger side window glass also does not operate.

The original dealership ( Stealership ) Sterling motors said bring it over, leave it over, we will look it over. Well. Its quite an effort to go to Udyog Vihar from where I live and work ( New Gurgaon ).
Then last week I saw an ad that like Maruti, Mahindra too are opening authorized service centers. One called RR Motors was opening in the area right behind my office building. I decided to have a look. The specifications were as per all other Mahindra dealership workshops. Including a body shop.
I met the Service manager, he said the Mahindra Warranty and my extended warranty to 2015 will be honored here. I asked whether an Oil change is required at 10,000 K service, he said no. But it has been over an year since I changed the oil and filter, and I feel it is required. I said I want to change the oil to Castrol CRB, I have done this in my Bolero and I like the results very much. The Bolero Engine does run quieter, colder and smoother.
He said only Mahindra Max-mile can be changed here. I plan to get it done outside once the Warranty repairs of the door and window. I enquired about the 2nd service charges, he said it is free, I said I am not going to pay any dry wash, cleaning on Fuel injector cleaning formula charges, he promised all charges will be discussed before the vehicle is turned it. It seems satisfactory, The service centre will open on February 9, 2013. Will turn in my Scorpio on the 11th.

And now that Mahindra have launched Scorpio 4x4 in Sle version as well. WOuld have preferred that instead of paying so much for these cheap chinese gizmos.

The tyre pressure monitors issue a different reading each time I switch on the Car!, no intermittent wiper speed setting dial, the auto mode depends upon the amount of water on a sensor mounted on the windscreen near the rear view mirror. This info gets transmitted to central processor in the Radio unit which issues speed command.
Keep it simple guys. Its a Mahindra not Toyota.

Last edited by Samurai : 7th February 2013 at 16:57. Reason: back-to-back post. Learn to use multi-quote feature
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 22:36   #95
BHPian

Perhaps we are sailing in the same boat! Exactly 2 yrs back, another scorpio 4wd in white was delivered to me fondly named "Shrek ìii". I have been regularly getting it serviced and repaired so keylock drum, central locking and all doors are working fine. I dont rely on the tyre pressure monitoring system reading and instead get it checked once in a month at fuel pump.

Consistently getting 10 kmpl in city/ highway mix commute to work and in excess of 11kmpl on highway runs. Have been to several outstation trips with all family members (read fully loaded) and found it quite comfy at highway speeds. Have completed 24k kms so far and happy about it . Majority of the mileage covered in last 7-8 months.

Headlight bluish bulbs (oem) fuzed twice and currently not available in service centre so replaced by spare (normal halogens) but the beam is not so good for night driving as compared to oem bluish bulbs.

Overall its going great guns and feels like new.
Old 8th February 2013, 12:13   #96
Senior - BHPian

Dear Shatrughna,
Try the Philips Halogen bulb 100 W available at most auto part / fancy accesory shops, they are good.

I quite like the vehicle, even my Landcruiser 100 Series did not have so many gizmos except a 6 in dash CD player which anyway never worked in the summer heat. This one has USP port, even an SD card port.

Interiors are nice, vehicle handling is much better than Tata Safari 4x4 version the only real competitor. This vehicle is much more niftier.

These teething problems were never unexpected in an Indian vehicle. I take it in normal stride.

As for fuel, now that sales of premium diesel has ceased ( Rs. 66 / litre ) in Gurgaon / Haryana, I have no choice but to use normal diesel for the last 500 Km.

City driving - 11 Km/L
Highway driving - 13.5 KM / L on modern 4 lane highways such as the Agra expressway we have in these parts or the Agra - Jaipur highway where I used Cruise control for extended periods.
Old 8th February 2013, 13:08   #97
BHPian

Desertfox: Thanks for replying and adding your experiences and about the fuel consumption figures. I have to admit that the figures you mentioned are quiet impressive as even on highways I have not got better than 12.5 kmpl . Of course , these figures are at good speeds.
About the bulbs you have suggested, will check out. Long back , I had used 100/130 rally ones in an Indica which smoked the reflectors and since then , I have always stuck to oems. Would like to understand as to whether those bulbs emit white or yellow beams?
Old 11th February 2013, 17:39   #98
Senior - BHPian

Normal yellow beams.
Old 11th February 2013, 17:51   #99
BHPian

Thanks. Since, its due for 6th service , will get it checked up, serviced and will prefer bluish lamps if available.
Old 11th February 2013, 18:23   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I think the rear suspension is the same for 2wd and 4wd. Any idea where he sourced them from, and costs involved?

Is this the same as what Red Rooster Performance (http://www.redroosterperformance.com...carmodel_id=23) gives?
Going by the site, they also seem to have basic shock-absorbers. Are they available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Ironman is supposedly developing an suspension set up with a 20mm lift so I am planning to try that out. It includes, 4 Gas shocks, 1 set of springs for the rear and 1 set of Torsion Bars.
Any latest updates on that? Where is the Ironman dealership in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Headlight bluish bulbs (oem) fuzed twice and currently not available in service centre so replaced by spare (normal halogens) but the beam is not so good for night driving as compared to oem bluish bulbs.
After trying numerous bulbs and wasting money and effort on them, Have resorted back to Halonix 65/55 that was supplied as spare with my vehicle. Works fine. I do have a Philips relay installed at the workshop, that works beautifully with the stock rated Halonix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Thanks. Since, its due for 6th service , will get it checked up, serviced and will prefer bluish lamps if available.
Blueish lights dont actually help, even if they look cool. Especially on unlit highways during rain.
Old 11th February 2013, 23:57   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Going by the site, they also seem to have basic shock-absorbers. Are they available?
I had a mail exchange with RRP some time ago. Their offer option, to my mind, is not really VFM. And the configuration has not been tested, so I don't intend to be anyone's R&D mule.
Old 8th April 2013, 22:35   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Gone Baby Gone....

Finally after 3 years my Scorpio and I have parted ways. Overall it has been a mixed experience.

When I was in the market for a 4x4 Tourer with safety features like ABS/ Air Bags etc, the only choices in the 10 to 12 lakh bracket where Scorpio/Safari or used Pajero or other imports. Having been out of the country for 12 long years, I underestimated the incomptence of Mahindra and figured that I may as well get a new SUV for 11.5 lakhs than a used Pajero for 16 lakhs. Fortuner had just been launched and was commanding a premium of 2 lakhs for a second hand vehicle. In hindsight, I should have stretched my budget and bought a second hand Pajero 2.8 or even a Ford Endy 4x4. Yeah I know Endy is bumpy at rear but atleast it has plenty of space inside.

I will just sum up the good and bad points starting with what I liked about the Scorpio.

1) Typical of Mahindra, they give a lot of car for the Money including some Chinese electronics which give more grief than value. The top end Safari 4x4 was almost a 1.5 Lakhs OTR more than the VLX 4WD and I felt that the premium Tata was demanding was too much given. If the Safari VX 4x4 and Scorpio VLX 4WD where priced in the same bracket, I may have bought a Safari VX 4x4. Unfortunately at that time VX was the only Safari with ABS/Air Bags. I am not willing to compromise on these to factors. Between Safari & Scorpio it was the price and perceived reliability at that time that swung me towards the Scorpio. The reliability theory was subsequently debunked after two clutch slave cylinder failures within the first 45,000 kilometers which left me stranded on the highway.

2) Poor Ergonomics & Cramped Interiors: To me this was/is the second biggest flaw of the Scorpio. The positioning of the seats in relation to the dash, steering wheel, clucth pedals, ORVM, etc are basically flawed. To understand what I mean, drive a Safari and Scorpio back to back. The third row front facing seat cannot me folded to make way for luggage without moving the middle row all the way forward. When you do this, there is hardly any leg space for the middle row seats. I had to invaribly remove and keep the third row seats at my office. Getting these seats in and out is in itself a Herculean task requiring two people at a minmium or even three if you are not very well build.

3) Poorly designed suspension. All I can say is that anyone who finds the Scorpio ride acceptable is probably using their vehicle over good roads most of the time. Me on the other hand has to use it on many rough stretches with no tar or lot of potholes. When you go over undulating roads, the vehicle rocks very violently from side to side. On highways, the handling is fine and I have regularly done 140 + speeds on the highways quite confidently. It is not the handling but the ride comfort that I couldn't live with.

4) The engine and gearbox is just a gem and it was so much fun to put pedal to metal and let the mhawk fly.

Overall, I felt the negatives of this vehicle outweigh the positives and all I can say to people who don't need 4x4 is to get the Safari Storme LX. If you need 4x4 within 12 lakhs then you don't really have much choice but to get the Scorpio.

Anyways, I am glad I found a perfect replacement for my Scorpio. It was Dejavu for me all over again as I had the exact same vehicle in the USA with a V8 petrol instead of the I6 Diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpio VLX mhawk 4WD with Air Bags EDIT - 43000 kms update-byebyescorpio.jpg  

Last edited by 4x4addict : 8th April 2013 at 22:41.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 22:44   #103
Senior - BHPian

As a wannabe Scorpio buyer, your closing thread remarks make me wonder again if I should buy a Scorpio, however considering no other diesel SUV with AT is available at this range, not sure what to be done.

Are you changing rides with landcruiser? Seems, I have missed a thread on the same.
Old 8th April 2013, 23:08   #104
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Tini on getting the LEGEND!!
TLC is one of the best touring/expedition vehicles one could possibly have.
I wish you many many happy miles with the TLC.
Will look forward to your ownership report.
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: Hey, and did you get the Ironman suspension kit on the scorpio or not? If you did, do share your feedback.

Last edited by starter : 8th April 2013 at 23:10.
Old 9th April 2013, 14:50   #105
BANNED

Re: Gone Baby Gone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Anyways, I am glad I found a perfect replacement for my Scorpio. It was Dejavu for me all over again as I had the exact same vehicle in the USA with a V8 petrol instead of the I6 Diesel.
Wow Tini, you purchased a TLC..!!!

Congrats and wish you a million miles of comfort and happiness in it. I feel you should start a separate thread for it with a lot of pictures and other details.

Can you please tell me the model, the year of manufacture, the number of owners and the kms it had clocked before you purchased it, and the purchase price?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks