Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2011, 09:10   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Figo TDCi. EDIT: 16,000 km upd

I am not sure about the earlier Price of the Fog Lamps. IIRC they were charging around 1500 as Installation Charges. which brings it to almost same territory.

It is a real pain to fit the Fogs. They need to remove the bumper and quite a few things in the engine bay on the drivers side so as to clip the wiring harness on the way to the headlight switch on the dash.

The Kit is so expensive because it includes a new headlight switch that can be pulled up to activate the Fogs. The Fitting charges are so high because of the amount of work. involved. In Short think this is one of the design flaws by Ford. And this surely must be one of the reasons why Ford decided to leave out the Fogs Lamps from even the Titanium Variants.
Old 30th January 2011, 09:25   #782
Team-BHP Support

Re: Italian Softroader to American Mile cruncher - The Figo TDCi. EDIT: 16,000 km upd

Though the fog-lamps will fill-up the places, but I don't think I would be going for one. It isn't aiding illumination in any which way. (IMHO)

Gemi's, Joe's, Tirthankar's and others thread has helped me a lot in picking the Car up. Thanks guys for putting up a detailed and comprehensive reviews.

I think most issues in the recently manufactured units is sorted. I have a Dec '10 manufactured Car. Got an FE of 16kmpl in mixed conditions. The Car has done 1200+ kms as of date.

Though its any ugly site (the black oval space for fogs), I am in no hurry to put the fogs. On line are the alloys and I am unsure about what to buy, a 4 set or a 5 set.
Old 30th January 2011, 14:33   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I am not sure about the earlier Price of the Fog Lamps. IIRC they were charging around 1500 as Installation Charges. which brings it to almost same territory.
The installation charge for the fogs should not be so high. I remember reading somewhere close to 500 - 600 for the installation. The kit alone was priced above 4K, which now has come down to 2.9K. It's certainly cheaper now.
Old 30th January 2011, 17:48   #784
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
@RGK
Hi man. Didn't quite get what you just said. Are you saying you just paid 4,500/- for the fog lamps today? And what special number are your referring to? Also getting the genuine fog lamps installed is any day better for the clean integration with the indicator stalk rather than spoiling the look of the dashboard with some aftermarket switches. And yeah, this price of the accessories should more or less be same across the states. The fog lamp pricing is now really good!
At the time of booking on May 8th 2010, I paid 4500 for fog but got it back as I went for special fancy number which was 8000 (+ 500 for service charge!!?) to be paid to the Registering authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Though the fog-lamps will fill-up the places, but I don't think I would be going for one. It isn't aiding illumination in any which way. (IMHO)

Gemi's, Joe's, Tirthankar's and others thread has helped me a lot in picking the Car up. Thanks guys for putting up a detailed and comprehensive reviews.

I think most issues in the recently manufactured units is sorted. I have a Dec '10 manufactured Car. Got an FE of 16kmpl in mixed conditions. The Car has done 1200+ kms as of date.

Though its any ugly site (the black oval space for fogs), I am in no hurry to put the fogs. On line are the alloys and I am unsure about what to buy, a 4 set or a 5 set.
Correct. I did not find major diff with FL. It is useful when you drive slowly as the illumination will not cross more than 1 to 11/2 meter.

Yes Joe & Gemi are the front runners of Figo. I think Ford has to compliment them as their feedback to the manufacturer is immense.
Good that you are out of small irritating issues. Happy & enjoyable motoring.

IMHO, i go for 4 set alloy but rotate all the 5 tyres.
Old 30th January 2011, 23:28   #785
BHPian

Quote:

It is a real pain to fit the Fogs. They need to remove the bumper and quite a few things in the engine bay on the drivers side so as to clip the wiring harness on the way to the headlight switch on the dash.

The Kit is so expensive because it includes a new headlight switch that can be pulled up to activate the Fogs. The Fitting charges are so high because of the amount of work. involved. In Short think this is one of the design flaws by Ford. And this surely must be one of the reasons why Ford decided to leave out the Fogs Lamps from even the Titanium Variants.
I'm not sure if earlier Figos required bumpers to be removed to fit Fog lamps, or Titanium variant is different. But when I got fog lamps fitted on my Figo Titanium just 2 weeks back, it was a 20 minutes job. 2 guys worked on it together; one guy attached the Fog-lamp wire somewhere next to the engine bay, and the other guy just cut the plastic cap on the bumper where Fog lamps sit, and attached the fog lamps.

Its just one long cable, one end connected to source, a lead in the middle connected to the right fog, and other end goes to left fog. A little excess of cable between right and left fogs was tucked behind the lower part of bumper and clipped tightly. They didn't remove the bumper at all. Also, nothing was touched near the headlight switch inside.

This was done at Lathangi Ford, Bangalore. Though I had to wait at the dealership since I went there at 1 pm, which was lunch time. Workers came back from lunch at 2 pm, and I was out of the dealership by 2:30.
Old 31st January 2011, 11:41   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i beg to disagree. the OE fogs on the figo are amazing. Actually they are brighter than the stock headlamps. The main beam leaves a huge gap unlit, between the bumper and the starting of the low beam, more so in high beam. The Fog fills it up nicely, also, shows a lil light to the sides too, ie, medians and road shoulders, which the Terrible headlights ignore.
Old 31st January 2011, 11:49   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I too ave a gut feeling (no first hand experience) that the newer Figo's are much better than those from the First Batch. One of my friends who travelled in a new Figo TDCi called me up and told me that the sound insulation was too good and the engine noise was not filtering into the cabin as in my car. The mileage figures being reported by newer owners too seem to be far better than those reported by those who bought the first batch of cars.

About the Alloys. If i were to buy, i would stick to 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
The installation charge for the fogs should not be so high. I remember reading somewhere close to 500 - 600 for the installation. The kit alone was priced above 4K, which now has come down to 2.9K. It's certainly cheaper now.
When i bought my car they told me that the Fogs cost around 3.5K and the remaining around 1.2K was Installation charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Yes Joe & Gemi are the front runners of Figo. I think Ford has to compliment them as their feedback to the manufacturer is immense.
Thanks!!! Well Go Ahead with recommending the reward to Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK_BLR View Post
I'm not sure if earlier Figos required bumpers to be removed to fit Fog lamps, or Titanium variant is different. But when I got fog lamps fitted on my Figo Titanium just 2 weeks back, it was a 20 minutes job. 2 guys worked on it together; one guy attached the Fog-lamp wire somewhere next to the engine bay, and the other guy just cut the plastic cap on the bumper where Fog lamps sit, and attached the fog lamps.

Its just one long cable, one end connected to source, a lead in the middle connected to the right fog, and other end goes to left fog. A little excess of cable between right and left fogs was tucked behind the lower part of bumper and clipped tightly. They didn't remove the bumper at all. Also, nothing was touched near the headlight switch inside.

This was done at Lathangi Ford, Bangalore. Though I had to wait at the dealership since I went there at 1 pm, which was lunch time. Workers came back from lunch at 2 pm, and I was out of the dealership by 2:30.
This was not the case atleast in the first batches of Figo's. Even the TITANIUM variants needed the bumpers to be removed. And the Headlight switch too was replaced with the one that could be pulled up to turn on the fogs. If they did not do anything with your headlight switch. Then how do you turn on the Fog lamps? Did you get the switch that could be pulled up installed originally?

Last edited by gemithomas : 31st January 2011 at 11:51.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:11   #788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I too ave a gut feeling (no first hand experience) that the newer Figo's are much better than those from the First Batch. One of my friends who travelled in a new Figo TDCi called me up and told me that the sound insulation was too good and the engine noise was not filtering into the cabin as in my car. The mileage figures being reported by newer owners too seem to be far better than those reported by those who bought the first batch of cars.
The Car isn't as sound-proof as I would have liked and think other diesels are quieter.

The FE figs achieved were in much variable conditions (150kms cruising at ~100kmph) 100 kms off roading (2nd-3rd gear in play) and rest city commute. (4 people on board) 16kmpl.

Quote:
About the Alloys. If i were to buy, i would stick to 4.
Can you list of the +ves and -ves.
As I believe if I damage an alloy (very rare chance, I drive s-a-f-e) or I get a puncture, it would be hard to procure another same thing/design.

And won't it look ugly to spot a black rim and rest alloyed if there is a puncture?
Old 31st January 2011, 12:33   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you list of the +ves and -ves.
As I believe if I damage an alloy (very rare chance, I drive s-a-f-e) or I get a puncture, it would be hard to procure another same thing/design.

And won't it look ugly to spot a black rim and rest alloyed if there is a puncture?
If you take the case of the last 5 years. We have had a Fusion, An Adventure and a Figo running on tubeless tyres and doing above 1,00,000 km. Over this period IIRC we have run on the spare wheels for not more than 100km. That means we have put on the spare wheel only for around 1-2 days in total over the last 5 years. Thats the reason why i said that i would go for only 4.

Of course there is a chance of a bent alloy. So i agree that if you are buying a rare after market model maybe the Fifth one could be treated as Insurance.

Last edited by gemithomas : 31st January 2011 at 12:39.
Old 31st January 2011, 15:52   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Over this period IIRC we have run on the spare wheels for not more than 100km. That means we have put on the spare wheel only for around 1-2 days in total over the last 5 years.
So you do not rotate tyres often?
I was advised to do so, but I have had a cut on one of my tyres and have got it patched up. Using that as spare from then on...I was told i wont be able to use it for front cos of the engine weight. may be for the rear.
What would you suggest?
Old 31st January 2011, 23:16   #791
BHPian

Quote:
If they did not do anything with your headlight switch. Then how do you turn on the Fog lamps? Did you get the switch that could be pulled up installed originally?
Yes Gemi, the original headlamp switch had the pull feature, and they didn't fiddle with it when installing the fog-lamps. I guess Figos manufactured currently are enabled with fog-lamp switch at the factory itself.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:23   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
So you do not rotate tyres often?
I was advised to do so, but I have had a cut on one of my tyres and have got it patched up. Using that as spare from then on...I was told i wont be able to use it for front cos of the engine weight. may be for the rear.
What would you suggest?
I rotate every 10K km using only the four tyres. I think Its safer to keep the patched tyre as spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK_BLR View Post
Yes Gemi, the original headlamp switch had the pull feature, and they didn't fiddle with it when installing the fog-lamps. I guess Figos manufactured currently are enabled with fog-lamp switch at the factory itself.
WoW! That explains why mustang had told me that the Figo comes with Fog lamp wiring already done (Its there in one of my early posts) but none of the initial owners got the kit with their cars. So this surely is one thing that was missed out in the First Batches of cars. I guess this was included after the price hike they had had. Anyways thanks for the update. So maybe the new price list would be applicable to only owners of the newer models. Thats just one of the risk of buying out of the first lot.

Last edited by gemithomas : 1st February 2011 at 11:25.
Old 1st February 2011, 11:28   #793
BHPian

Quote:
I rotate every 10K km using only the four tyres. I think Its safer to keep the patched tyre as spare.
ok, Thanks

Quote:
Thats just one of the risk of buying out of the first lot.
Any other major differences in the newer models?
Old 1st February 2011, 19:22   #794
BHPian

Hi gemi ,
Last week I and my mom got an opportunity to travel in a figo.The overall experience is just fantastic. My mom usually get back pain when she sits in the backseat of our ritz but after a long journey she is still comfortable .The feature which is great is that sterio has backup up to one hour .Overall, we are smitten.Plastic quality is also nice.And the car was a chill colored EXi TDCI.
Wish we had a figo
Regards
Sreehari

Last edited by shk 8896 : 1st February 2011 at 19:25.
Old 1st February 2011, 23:19   #795
BHPian

Gemi, are you talking about the Jan price hike or the earlier one? Mine is a Nov end mfgd car, so I guess they had the fog-lamp wiring done before their Jan price hike.

Anyways, would be interesting to know what mods are included in Jan+ models after the price hikes. Done anyone have info on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks