Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2005, 09:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

2004 Mercedes Benz E270 CDI - Updated to 67,000 kms

1 year/10,000 km Report

Exactly a year and one and a half months ago we were planning on replacing our Ikon/Nexia (which happened early this year, with the Lancer and we just got the merc as another addition to the family).
We considered all the usual options and shortlisted the Hyundai Accent Viva Diesel.
This process took around 15 days and then one fine day my dad came along and asked me during dinner what I thought of the New Merc C Class (facelifted one. Not the 2007 model). For a few days my dad pondered over getting the baby merc (Atleast it is the baby merc in India) and finally decided it was time to get one (Me and my sister were against it) but then we shortlisted a pre-owned E220 (after finding the C Class a tad too small) v/s an Octavia Diesel and an Viva. Since the mind was already made up, there was nothing much we could do (that time I hadn’t heard about GTO’s C Class woes). All was going well and I convinced dad to get the diesel option. While searching we came across 4 used E CDI’s.
The first one was the pre-owned E220 next to C Class in Sanghi which had done 11000km. The second one was another silver E220 CDI done 22000 km which seemed good and we were about to get it when the same dealer called us up and told us he had found a red E270 CDI done 3xx km (that’s right 300 not 3,00, 30,000) which the owner wanted to sell because of some family trouble (He had bought the car for his son who was returning from the U.S.A but decided last minute not to come and as he had an S he had no use for the E) but then last minute changed his mind about selling it.
Since we had extended our budget from 10 – 40L, we decided to stretch it a bit more and get a brand new E270 CDI.
However just the day we booked it, another broker called me up an told me that he had just got a black E270CDI done some 5000km which was for sale for 37L.
I called up my dad but he had already booked a NEW light blue E270 CDI so he was like nothing Doing.
By now, approximately 1 month, 1 week were up.
After booking the car (I was still against it and so was my sister but I was getting excited slowly, slowly), I was quite chilled, studied a bit after all the tension was over (exams were coming up from September 28th.
On September 26th, I had gone to NSCI for lunch (to the Indian Restraunt out there).
On the way I had gotten a call from Sanghi Motorcars, saying that the car had come to the showroom and we could head down to pick it up.
I was a bit more happier then usual that day and just before dessert, I broke the good news to my dad.
After lunch we planned to head down to the showroom to look at the new member of the family but my mom had other plans for us and wasted precious time by making us go grocery shopping for her milk and handwash.
After what seemed like ages, we finally reached Sanghi Motorcar Showroom and saw the blue beauty.
My mom was relieved because she liked the colour (We were irritating her by telling her that it was the accent light blue which she didn’t like) and we also chose a VVIP number – 8, which was supposed to be the lucky feng shui number for the next 20 years.
The next day, I awoke at 7 am sharp and we left to pick up the car at 9.
After checking everything and taking delivery and doing the pooja and giving the cleaner a tip (There were 3 other deliveries that day. Mainly for C Class) and putting the CD’s in the music player, we finally left.
Our first stop was the petrol pump where we filled the tank up with TURBOJET and got an Ambipur car perfume and a couple of dusters (It was really embarrising with everyone looking at us and the merc).
We finally reached home by 10.30 after which I was told to study (which was surprisingly hard considering I would go down to see the car whenever I could though I passed).
That night my dad me , my dad’s friend, his son went out for a drive in the merc after which we went over to my dad’s other friends house who was also interested in seeing the car but then my dad and all decided to spend some time there so we were dropped home by my dad’s friends S class.
Anyways, it has been just over a year and 10,000 km down the line here is how I am liking the merc so far.
Sorry for the long intro but this isn’t going to get any shorter.

Looks and Build Quality
Now this is one helluva beauty. Everything from the roofline to the bumper (Specially the lights) is just too sexy to describe in words. The car gives a Solid yet young look and the blue colour we have chosen helps the case.
With the E, Mercedes Benz has managed to make both the young guys and the oldies fall head over heels. The car manages to carry off a 20s something guy as well as a 60s guy. I mean this is one car I really wouldn’t mind being seen in. It’s looks are just amazing and can be carried off very easily. I mean this is one of the few things both me and my grandfather would look good in (I mean like the old accord isn’t something that would suit a young guys personality but it will suit the oldies down to a tee). The blue colour suits the car very well and helps the car look more soothing and pleasant and elegance then the other colours.
I wasn’t too fond of the silver or the white which were too common or the red or the black which couldn’t carry off the design along with the wheels.
If there is one thing I am deeply disappointed with, it’s the design of the alloy wheels. If I had to describe it in one word, it would def. Be YAWN. Not only this, even the new E’s alloys, though better, do not suit the image. Infact, one of the building drivers actually thought they were wheelcaps.
Merc, if you are listening, please take a not and change the wheels ASAP.
Build Quality on the other hand could be better too but not by much.
Some interior buttons feel cheap as does the rubber lining the window.
But these two things apart, the car feels really very well built.
The quality of the paintwork is really excellent as is the alignment and everything of the body.
Front

Rear

Interiors

The Interiors gel with the exterior very well.
I would have ideally loved to get the beige coloured interiors but for that one needs to get either a Red or a Black Mercedes.
The first thing that hits you when you enter the car is the design of the dashboard. It is young and uncluttered with the wooden inserts giving a nice luxury classy feel. The 7 CD deck blends nicely with the center console and the sound quality is also great. A point to note is that the C Class and the CLS also come with the same deck. The quality of the center console is also very impressive. I specially like the quality and design of the steering wheel and the way you have to press the black part around the hazard lights to open the CD changer.
If there was one thing which could use some improvement, it is the space at the back.
The new accord really feels more spacious but apart from that I have no complains and either does my dad. I specially like the 4 a.c. vents dedicated to rear passengers which are temperature controllable by the rear passenger.
I have however noticed that the front left doorpad felt as though there was air stuck inside. Also when you start the air con, there is a rotten sweaty smell coming or the first few seconds, which was rectified when the car went for service.

Engine, Refinement and Fuel Efficiency

The 2685 cc 173BHP engine with a torque of (wait for it) 43.3 KGM has to be the best engine in India and definitely the best part of the car. The car if I am not mistaken blows even its bigger cousin, the S350 away, screw the E240. If you have to buy an E class for self drive and buy the E240, you should be murdered.
Even though it comes with a 5 speed auto tranny, you just have to step on the gas and feel the torque surging through you. Trying to keep the car within speed limits is like trying to kill your self. Just a prod on the gas pedal and you can feel yourself pushed back into the seat. All those of you who said autos aren’t meant for enthusiasts should drive this beast.
This being the only diesel car after the Siena and the Audi 100, feels miles ahead in terms of refinement. You know that the car is a diesel but not by much. I have seen Sonatas and Accords sounding like even more of a diesel car then the Merc and the best part is that you cannot feel it in the passenger seat.
I haven’t really checked the Fuel Efficiency but I guess it should be around 8kmpl in city and 14 on the highway.
Will check it next time we go to Pune or for a long distance as when the car went to Shirdi recently, there was a major jam and it gave apprx. 10 kmpl.

Ride and Handling
This is one of the best luxury cars to drive. Everything about it is perfect. Be it the seating, well weighted steering, 2685cc CDI engine. Everything.
This has to be the perfect balance between ride and handling ever created. The handling is very much driver oriented and the car feels sportier then it looks. The steering is just perfectly weighted and you really feel connected to the road. The 225/60/R16 Goodyear Eagle NCT 5’s provide massive grip and allows the driver to control all the 43.3 Kgm of torque flowing through the car. When we went to Pune or Shirdi, the driver was still quite energetic considering he had spent 10 hours behind the wheels.
With the Suspension being driver Oriented, the ride is not exactly at the top but it is still above average. The ride at low speeds is kind of bumpy and harsh but it improves once the speeds get higher. I think one of the reasons people find the car a bit more uncomfortable then the accord is perhaps because the accord has softer seats in which you can sink in a bit which is not the case with the firm seats of the merc and I personally find the ride as good as the accord (old).

Safety
This car feels really safe. It’s build and numerous amount of safety devises like ABS, EBD, TCS etc make you feel really comfortable going on long trips. It also help that the car got 5 stars in NCAP passenger safety but it faired poorly in pedestrian safety getting only 1 star.

Things I have liked –
The button you have to press to open the CD Changer
The fact that doing 160 on the way to the airport at 4 PM really doesn’t get you excited because the car feels like it is doing 60 kmph.
The Engine
The torque pushing you back in your seat when you drive
The massive grip
The looks

Things I haven’t liked –
The period in between when I was quite unhappy with our car but that was a stupid reason
The price
The rotten smell of sweat when you on the a.c.

There are lots of other things I have liked but for now, that is what I have liked the most.
Looking forward to another year in the ownership of a benz.

A note here - When you open the hood and close it, at times it doesn’t close properly with one side being left a bit open so you have to be careful about that. Check the second picture to see what I mean.
Old 9th October 2005, 09:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

A very nicely written report on the your E270 lambo. Covers all the points well. I myself was pretty much surprised when you jumped from buying a Viva or NHC to the diesel Mercedes .

Dippy
Old 9th October 2005, 10:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Dippy,
Hell even i was kinda surprised about that.
I will be taking some better pictures after giving the car a nice Polish Job so wait for it.
Old 9th October 2005, 10:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
The 2685 cc 173BHP engine with a torque of (wait for it) 43.3 KGM has to be the best engine in India and definitely the best part of the car. The car if I am not mistaken blows even its bigger cousin, the S350 away, screw the E240. If you have to buy an E class for self drive and buy the E240, you should be murdered.
E200 and E240 are not really moving well. We'll see a four ad campaign in ECO TIMES starting next week. Thanks to E270's performance and price. So much so, they've postponed their plan for E280 launch this year.

A great car to have and enjoy and Lambo, a very good write up.
Old 9th October 2005, 12:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
We'll see a four ad campaign in ECO TIMES starting next week.
And that ad campaign is done by....?
Old 9th October 2005, 12:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

That was a good report Lambo , I mean it was really very good !
hope u enjoy the baby for many more years
Old 9th October 2005, 12:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

After the rave about the S-Type Twin Turbo Diesel and more recently the new 530d and last night's blast at Worli Seaface, I can confidently say, "Lambo, you have made a great decision. Diesel is the way to go today!"
Nice report about your E270 CDI.
Old 9th October 2005, 13:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

nicely done, lambo. the e 270 has always been one of my faves- the engine, mainly.....

here's looking forward to a similar and uneventful (and happier) 20,000 km report.....

enjoy your ride, it's a great machine; and i don't think prodding the gas pedal (technical mistake- oil pedal) once in a while would be wrong...it would be a crime if you didn't....

hmmm... 10 kmpl overall in a 2.7 litre automatic....wonder what would happen if merc introduced a manual version here.....now that, would really be having your cake and eating it too;
now, did somebody say performance affects F.E adversely...? meet Mr. E270 manual 6-speed....
Old 9th October 2005, 14:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys.
I happened to see the wierdest thing in the car today.
The first cockroach that has ever entered the car and i found it struggling for its life in the LHS Headlight.
Just how would such a thing get inside the headlight?
The E280 is a Petrol V6 right?
Diesel Luxury cars are really becoming common these days. Cleaner, faster and more driveable then their petrol cousin. This couple with great FE really makes you wonder why people still buy the petrol cousin doesn't it?
Old 9th October 2005, 14:29   #10
Team-BHP Support

Great write up Lambo. Quite detailed. Enjoy your drives.
Old 9th October 2005, 14:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

hey lambo,
i very good write up buddy.very detailed and long but still i enjoyed reading it.

from a viva to merc.lol what changed your mind so drastically ??

any way enjoy the car buddy

rev
Old 9th October 2005, 16:52   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
And that ad campaign is done by....?
Yeah pal, it's done by me but we had to go back to the original Merc identity manual.
Old 9th October 2005, 16:57   #13
bhp
BHPian

nice write up lambo !!! hope you have nice motoring years ahead with the benz
Old 9th October 2005, 18:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Lambo. The E270 is really one beautiful car..Enjoy ur ride man!!
And does it come with Xenons?
Old 9th October 2005, 18:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

I've heard some good reviews on the BMW 530d as well. Seems to be a good car. Cant wait to get my hands on the Audi diesels though

Dippy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks