Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 16:02   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
vivekgk - is it really necessary to change oil/etc before the 10000kms service?
i remember going thru a heated discussion on this in the manza thread, with lots of people saying its totally unncessary.
The SA showed me the dipstick. The oil looked like new. He said there was no need to change it. But I decided to go through with it anyway, because there were also small shiny metal flecks in it. The SA said that new engines will continue shedding like that for 20K, so it makes little sense to change perfectly good oil. I would probably have not done it if it was a DiCOR or Quadrajet engine with expensive filters. The TDi's oil filter costs about 200 and that made the decision easier. I might forego the oil change at 5K though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I am facing the same with Vista QJD.For Me ,The Horn was Fine Earlier.But ,after they Did some work removing Steering ,I have to insert more pressure for the Bottom End(of the 'T') to Horn. I am looking for a Solution as well.The SA's Reasoning is ,It is due to "ageing"!.

It should Work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I took apart the horn pad ( the top plate of the steering - the T shaped bit) ( DIY only if you have no airbags). there were essentially 4 contacts. Cleaned them, stretched them a bit, and sprayed some WD 40.
How do you take apart the horn button? Maybe I should have the service guys address it. I didn't know before if it was so by design or due to fault. The button is also quite hard to press.

BTW, I'm thinking of transferring a pair of huge Roots Jeep horns from my 800 to the Indigo. I'm planning to transplant the whole kit including the relay and wiring. Should I get it done at the ASC or the neighborhood auto electrician? (who has a silver Indica Turbo DLS and knows Tatas well).

@greenhorn: You have the Indica Turbo DLG rt? Does the DLS have any other difference, apart from the 13" wheels and no PW? The guy said that the DLG was much more expensive, for only front PW and 14" wheels.

Also, when should I start adding System D? The car has covered 1400km so far, and is a bit rough during cold starts. Is it only available at the pump opposite St. Mary's?
Old 28th July 2010, 19:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
But I think that 4L oil is about 1600 @ 400 per liter and oil filter is 200.

Fuel Efficiency as calculated from the low fuel-low fuel method is roughly 15-17 kpl. I get different figures each time.
The turbo engine takes 5.5L of engine oil.

Filling to the brim would be the most accurate method.
Old 2nd August 2010, 22:41   #48
BHPian

2000km update

@trrk: Thanks for the info. How do you ensure that they're filling to the brim? They don't let you into the service area at ASCs. The dipstick reading shows maximum though.

I just got back from a 1000 km round trip to Thodupuzha (Idukki) with my dad. I filled up before leaving, and noted the odo reading. Thanks to greenhorn's tip, I also stocked up on System D and added it @ 1ml/L to regular diesel. I didn't account for the diesel in the tank, so the ratio should be less than ideal. Within a few kms, I could feel the difference. The engine was noticeably smoother and more eager. On MC Road, I touched 140+ and the car felt like it could easily do more, and didn't feel rough at all and was rock-solid. I only lifted off because this idiot in a grey Swift VDi, who was presumably upset that I passed him, was pulling all kinds of crazy stunts to get past me, including attempting to overtake on a blind corner. Sheesh!

I don't understand what it is about the Swift diesel that brings out the absolute worst in road manners. They take anyone overtaking them as a personal insult, and act like they own the road. Sure, it's a great car to drive, but the Swift petrol is even better, and yet you never see them driving as irresponsibly.

I saw two accidents - one on the way to Thodupuzha. A Bolero taxi had flown off a corner and gone down the embankment, rolling over and ending up in a small shallow stream about 50 ft. down. It wasn't submerged, but it had turned turtle, and I could see where it had shed body parts, like a door, wheelcaps and roof carrier on the way down the steep slope. . I learnt in the next day's paper that the driver had expired. He was alone, and was returning home from an airport trip. It's assumed that he fell asleep at the wheel.

The second accident was on my way home. It was just after Attingal, near the CRPF Firing range. A WagonR was hit by a KSRTC workshop bus and was tossed clean to the other side of the road, where it came to a stop after hitting an electric post with its rear. From what I saw, I'd say that the WagonR veered into the bus's path while overtaking, as all of the debris was on the right side of the road, and the car's damage was only to the RHS front.

I was at the scene mere moments after the incident. The old lady who was driving said that she was driving to the hospital. There was an older man, presumably her husband, and a very old woman on the back seat. No injuries, from what I saw. The older woman had fallen between the seats and they were having trouble moving the seat forward to pull her out. The driver was wearing her seat belt, and that was what saved her. She was fully coherent though a bit shaken. The car was missing its whole right front end, including the fender and the wheel. As there were many people helping out in the rescue effort, I left quickly.

The trip itself was largely trouble-free. The new MC Road is a dream until Kottarakkara, but gets worse till Ettumannur. From there, it'sbest to take the Pala route to Thodupuzha. The roads are good for most part. I did screw up big time when I ran straight over a set of vicious and deep speedbreakers just before Pala town. If you've been to Pala, you'll know which ones I'm talking about. These ones are very badly made, intended to damage vehicles rather than slow them down. They're placed right after a blind corner. The car shuddered horribly, but behaved fine. It handled wonderfully through the tight corners, never once understeering.

The next day, I had to drive with the stereo turned down, and heard some weird noises from the rear suspension. I took it to RF Motors, the Dealer/ASC nearest to Thodupuzha. They took the car in, and told me later that they'd fixed it partly by adjusting some bushes, but they'd have to take the suspension apart and inspect it to completely resolve the issue. They'd do it for free, but they needed time. The noise was a lot less now, so I decided to leave. As the car was under warranty, it was all free. The SA assured me that the car would be fine to drive to Trivandrum. And he was right, sort of.

I took the car to Nedumbassery Airport and back that afternoon, and there was no audible noise. I have to commend the Thodupuzha-Muvattupuzha-Nedumbassery road, it is one of the finest in Kerala, except for the badly made speedbreakers and bad patches at some points. It's also one of the busiest, and only the brave of heart can dare to attempt high speeds there. You never know when some idiot would dart out onto the highway.

The return trip was Thodupuzha-Ernakulam-Trivandrum, as we had to drop off my uncle at Ernakulam South Railway station. This trip was 288 km, and it is probably the worst route of the whole trip. The NH is horrible from Cochin to Kayamkulam, and after that, it's narrow and overcrowded. I feel lucky that I got the car here in one piece, as I hit more potholes in that run than I'd done since we bought it. If you ever have a need to drive on that route, just don't. Take the MC road instead. Or take the train. This road will cure you of your passion for driving. The road surface has peeled off in places because of poor preparation before re-surfacing. The road is being patched up (instead of the full resurfacing that is really needed), which I predict will last about three months considering the heavy traffic on this route.

Current odo reading: 2371km. More details on the next post. Ciao!

Last edited by vivekgk : 2nd August 2010 at 22:44.
Old 3rd August 2010, 02:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you take apart the horn button? Maybe I should have the service guys address it. I didn't know before if it was so by design or due to fault. The button is also quite hard to press.
I just pulled the horn button towards me with a bit of force and it came loose. I'm not sure how its with your steering design, do so at your own risk
Quote:
BTW, I'm thinking of transferring a pair of huge Roots Jeep horns from my 800 to the Indigo. I'm planning to transplant the whole kit including the relay and wiring. Should I get it done at the ASC or the neighborhood auto electrician? (who has a silver Indica Turbo DLS and knows Tatas well).
If the dude knows his way around the indica, then get him to do so by all means. I got mine done at emperor, cochin http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1103324-post1.html

Quote:
@greenhorn: You have the Indica Turbo DLG rt? Does the DLS have any other difference, apart from the 13" wheels and no PW? The guy said that the DLG was much more expensive, for only front PW and 14" wheels.
As far as I know, the DLG has an intercooler as well, which bumps up the power
NA indica = 53.5
DLS turbo = 62
DLG turbo = 68 = same as yours.

plus i think that the DLS turbo is essentially a regular indica DLS with a turbocharged engine, while the DLG is mostly indigo underneath - suspension, intake, brakes, clutch etc.I was told here that the difference is significant, and worth the 15k increase ( the PW alone will cost 7k )
Folks pay a lot more for air filters
Quote:
Also, when should I start adding System D? The car has covered 1400km so far, and is a bit rough during cold starts. Is it only available at the pump opposite St. Mary's?
Its available at motor plaza at chavadimukku for the old rate (200)
Quote:
Thanks to greenhorn's tip, I also stocked up on System D and added it @ 1ml/L to regular diesel. I didn't account for the diesel in the tank, so the ratio should be less than ideal. Within a few kms, I could feel the difference. The engine was noticeably smoother and more eager.
Be aware now that your car is now addicted to system D. If you try discontinuing its use, your car will become noticeably rougher. You dont need to use 1 ml per litre. I use lesser ( approx 1 dispenser full = 10ml for 500 bucks worth of diesel)
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
@trrk: Thanks for the info. How do you ensure that they're filling to the brim? They don't let you into the service area at ASCs. The dipstick reading shows maximum though.
The 'brim' reference was for diesel. The oil level in fact has to be done using the sipstick only. You said 4L, but this engine would take 5.5L.

In my Marina, it is the premium diesel thta goes in. Never tried System D.

Quote:
If you ever have a need to drive on that route, just don't.
The NH47 is the worst of the roads in Kerala right now. Sad.
Old 4th August 2010, 10:45   #51
BHPian

@greenhorn: I think I'll wait a while before taking that risk. Or consider switching to the older 4-spoke steering. But meanwhile, I'm getting used to the harder press and use the horn less. But I have to switch to louder ones, these ones were next to useless on the long trip.

Regarding the System D, I got it for 250, which is the MRP. Is the stuff available at Chavadimukku the same or a similar brand? Or old stock? How can they sell it at 80% of MRP?

Thanks for the info on the DLS. Does your Indica DLG come with the same three-link rear suspension as on the Indigo? AFAIK, that's the main mechanical difference between the Indica/go platforms. Then there's the Marina that comes with gas shocks at the rear.

I read about the sound damping that you got done. Is there someplace in TVM that reliably does such jobs? I want to get some good ICE soon.

@trrk: I put in premium only once (Xtramile) at the beginning, but stopped it because the folks at the dealership warned about clogged injectors and FIP and such. I didn't want to give them any excuse with Tata A.S.S being what it is. System D is a recommended additive in the manual, so there should be no issue.

I only took the 47 because I was told by my uncle that the road was OK till Kayamkulam. How wrong he was. To be fair, he hadn't gone that way for a while. But I'm never gonna go that way again until it's fixed completely. It was a jarring experience, literally.

There should be a thread discussing the current status of the various main routes in Kerala. It would be very useful before a trip. I wish I'd posted before going on this trip. You guys could have warned me then.

I forgot to mention that there is now one more set of scratches, this time on the bottom of the front bumper. Got it when I scraped the kerb while parking. Ugh. I asked the TASC and they said they couldn't touch it up, a full paintjob is the only option. It's not visible unless you're looking at the car head-on, up close, so I'll wait for a few more battle scars to show up before fixing it. Or try a DIY with a brush and a sample can of paint. Pics as soon as I get my cam back.

The engine seems to have bedded in a bit more after the trip. It's definitely smoother now after warming up, and more free-revving. Dad, who didn't drive the car at all for the trip, was surprised by the difference. Don't know how much of it is due to System D and how much from the mileage covered. I'm still shifting at 2.5-3K rpm, and occasionally touching 4K while overtaking in second/third. This car is in its element while cruising at about 100kph in 5th, because it's bang in the meaty part of the torque curve, with loads of reserve to overtake. Pity I couldn't hold it for long on the narrow NH. MC Road is a different story though, you can cruise at 120 for long stretches.

The handling is excellent. The car is completely neutral, turning in without hesitation and following whatever line I pick at whatever speed. I found myself enjoying thoroughly on the Pala-Thodupuzha route which has some tight corners and hairpins. The car felt well-planted and the engine was a delight as long as you kept it in the powerband. Even the gearbox, though lacking in feel, was quite good and easy to shift. The brakes were also very effective. The handling saved my hide on the Nedumbassery trip, when a Sumo came straight at me around a blind corner, when he was overtaking a truck. Thankfully, he braked, and I was able to swerve around him. Couldn't brake hard as there was a truck behind me as well. The car rolled a bit but was stable.

So what do I not like about this car? Well, the pick-up is sluggish at low rpms, and it's a pain to drive in the city, especially if you're in a hurry. It's also a tad noisy if you are unable to keep the ICE loud. The steering could be a bit lighter, and the gearknob vibrates like crazy. I'm used to steering with one hand with the other on the gearknob, so that compounds the problem, with my hand growing painfully numb from the vibes.

Still, I knew most of this stuff before I picked this car. Most of the surprises I've had are pleasant ones so far, with the car performing better than I expected it to.

Can anyone suggest a good place for seat-covers? I'm looking at art-leather or cloth. I like cloth better because I can slide around without the fabric attaching itself to my clothes, but art leather is easier to care for. I've been quoted 3500 for custom-fitted covers at Subash, Thakarapparambu Rd. Seatex quoted 6500, because they take off the original cloth seats and do it over with extra padding and stuff. Kulathunkal quoted 7500 for art-leather covers that they claim will fit like a glove. They showed a sample seat and it was pretty good, with the Tata logo and all. They said it was expensive because it was genuine accessory? Is it worth it?
Old 4th August 2010, 17:31   #52
BHPian

Add to above: I absolutely hate that the front windshield demisting vents stay open all the time, even with the dial turned towards the dash. While driving at night with AC on, water condenses on the outside of the glass. Wiping or washing doesn't help, and I have to keep the wiper on to prevent the misting. I can't turn off the AC, or the inside will start misting, unless I open a window and let some air (and dust, and smoke) in. Does this happen to all Indicas or just mine? I'd seen this problem in an Indicab, but I assumed that it was a defect.

My solution: A couple of soft wiping cloths (the kind you get from petrol stations placed over the vents to cover them up. You never need those vents except when the windscreen has iced up, which is not likely to happen in Kerala. I'm seriously considering covering up these vents for good when I get the seats/doorpads done.
Old 4th August 2010, 18:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
@trrk: I put in premium only once (Xtramile) at the beginning, but stopped it because the folks at the dealership warned about clogged injectors and FIP and such.
I started using the premium ones following a discussion in the yahoo Indica group, when the difference in porice was just 40 paise. System D is similar and can lead to all those if in excess. Anyway you can continue with the 'D'!

Quote:
There should be a thread discussing the current status of the various main routes in Kerala. It would be very useful before a trip. I wish I'd posted before going on this trip. You guys could have warned me then

There is a thread and is updated, though it is more for people coming into Kerala from outside.

Quote:
MC Road is a different story though, you can cruise at 120 for long stretches.
I sincerely hope you are aware that the maximum speed for cars in Kerala roads is set at 70kph. I generally do not cross this.

Quote:
The steering could be a bit lighter, and the gearknob vibrates like crazy.
I don't know about yours, but I feel the Marina steering is too light and I would not mind a harder steering (like in Manza). And there is no gear lever vibration in the Marina.

Quote:
My solution: A couple of soft wiping cloths (the kind you get from petrol stations placed over the vents to cover them up.
Does the misting stop if you cover those vents. I manage by adjusting the temperature control knob.
Old 6th August 2010, 08:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

I started using the premium ones following a discussion in the yahoo Indica group, when the difference in porice was just 40 paise. System D is similar and can lead to all those if in excess. Anyway you can continue with the 'D'!
Hi,

Following greenhorn's advice, I'm currently adding less than recommended amount of System D. Anyway, System D is a Tata recommended product and they won't be able to blame any FIP failure on my using premium fuel. I'm sure that both premium or SD will have similar effects, but since it is Tata, I feel safer going with the company recommended product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk
There is a thread and is updated, though it is more for people coming into Kerala from outside.
Cool. I'll have to search for it before the next trip!

Quote:
I sincerely hope you are aware that the maximum speed for cars in Kerala roads is set at 70kph. I generally do not cross this.
That's one rule that I can't seem to follow, to be honest. I mean, 70kph? Those limits were set a few decades back when cars couldn't brake well and the roads were atrocious. It's high time the limits were revised. And on open roads like MC Road, 70kph feels like you're crawling. Even the manufacturer recommends driving at 90kph in 5th to get the best mileage.

Usually, I drive on highways at 85-90. I'm not really comfortable doing 100+kph as I just can't relax, and the 130 kph drive was sort of a test for the car, seeing what it could do.

Of course, this is just my personal observation, I respect that you're capable of sticking to the speed limit. Few are.

Quote:
I don't know about yours, but I feel the Marina steering is too light and I would not mind a harder steering (like in Manza). And there is no gear lever vibration in the Marina.
I was comparing to the Swift/Ritz/A-Star which I also drove. The EPS is feather-light in those cars. Too light, in fact. But now I feel I must check with another Indigo. Same for the gearshift vibes. It's a high-frequency vibe that feels as if I'm holding on to one of those body massagers set on high. If there is no such problem on your car, then I will surely get it checked.

Quote:
Does the misting stop if you cover those vents. I manage by adjusting the temperature control knob.
Yes, the misting does stop when the demister vents (near the windscreen) are covered up. But the dash itself gets cold, and the flow to the other vents increase slightly. The misting on the outside occurs only at night, especially if it's cold outside.

I'd completely forgotten that this car had an HVAC! Our old 800 just had the dial, it was disconnected and completely useless. Thanks for the reminder. Will using the heater and the AC together harm anything?
Old 6th August 2010, 10:33   #55
BHPian

@Vivekgk,

The misting at the bottom of the wind shield can be avoided by switching off the internal air circulation switch, just keep your A/C on with fresh air only. I had this similar problem in my Indica Xeta and this one surely takes care of the issue. Mostly, in rainy days when its not raining this used to happen for me and its really irritating at nights.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
but since it is Tata, I feel safer going with the company recommended product.
And cheaper I think now!

Quote:
Cool. I'll have to search for it before the next trip!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ad-kerala.html

Quote:
I respect that you're capable of sticking to the speed limit.
My speeding days have long gone. Too old now. Moreover, since I strictly don't use horn, it is easier to be slow.
Old 6th August 2010, 19:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Moreover, since I strictly don't use horn, it is easier to be slow.
That's pretty awesome! I try my damnedest not to use the horn, but in Bangalore traffic it just isn't possible (for me). Neat that you can manage it!

Cool ownership thread, though, Vivek. I'm following this pretty closely out of interest. I'm a fan of Tatas, though I can't say I'm blind to the faults in the cars. Glad to know they're coming up with innovative products for gaps that no-one knew existed!

Last edited by VeluM : 6th August 2010 at 19:56. Reason: :P
Old 6th August 2010, 20:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@greenhorn: I think I'll wait a while before taking that risk. Or consider switching to the older 4-spoke steering. But meanwhile, I'm getting used to the harder press and use the horn less. But I have to switch to louder ones, these ones were next to useless on the long trip.
get the redgrilles. they sound annoying, but are totally effective . else get something which sounds more pleasant
Quote:
Regarding the System D, I got it for 250, which is the MRP. Is the stuff available at Chavadimukku the same or a similar brand? Or old stock? How can they sell it at 80% of MRP?
yup, its old stock. very old stock, but i feel it works just the same
Quote:
Hi,

Following greenhorn's advice, I'm currently adding less than recommended amount of System D. Anyway, System D is a Tata recommended product and they won't be able to blame any FIP failure on my using premium fuel. I'm sure that both premium or SD will have similar effects, but since it is Tata, I feel safer going with the company recommended product.
The immediate benefit of the lesser NVH is there, but I have a nagging suspicion if using it too much is good in the long run. I've been experiencing a significant dip in performance ( i've got trouble going over 120ish speeds) not sure if this is related
Quote:
Thanks for the info on the DLS. Does your Indica DLG come with the same three-link rear suspension as on the Indigo? AFAIK, that's the main mechanical difference between the Indica/go platforms. Then there's the Marina that comes with gas shocks at the rear.
sadly no it doesnt. from what i found out on this forum, there isnt sufficient rear overhang in the indica to fit the anti roll bar in the rear, and this is very obvious while cornering
Quote:
I read about the sound damping that you got done. Is there someplace in TVM that reliably does such jobs? I want to get some good ICE soon.
mine isnt technically a damping job. its a cheap hack to prevent the plastic body panels from vibrating ( which they will if your speakers are half decent). kulathunkal does wuerth damping for around 3k
Quote:
I forgot to mention that there is now one more set of scratches, this time on the bottom of the front bumper. Got it when I scraped the kerb while parking. Ugh. I asked the TASC and they said they couldn't touch it up, a full paintjob is the only option. It's not visible unless you're looking at the car head-on, up close, so I'll wait for a few more battle scars to show up before fixing it. Or try a DIY with a brush and a sample can of paint. Pics as soon as I get my cam back.
don't, it not worth the trouble. I tried getting mine painted myself and from kulathunkal, and in both cases did not look significantly better. plus a few battle scars prevent more from jealous dudes

Quote:
So what do I not like about this car? Well, the pick-up is sluggish at low rpms, and it's a pain to drive in the city, especially if you're in a hurry. It's also a tad noisy if you are unable to keep the ICE loud. The steering could be a bit lighter, and the gearknob vibrates like crazy. I'm used to steering with one hand with the other on the gearknob, so that compounds the problem, with my hand growing painfully numb from the vibes.
the pickup is sluggish in the afternoon etc ( when its hot) try to keep your trips during night/early morning when the air is cool and you'll find the car a hoot to drive I believe its because hotter air = lesser efficiency from the intercooler.

Quote:
Can anyone suggest a good place for seat-covers? I'm looking at art-leather or cloth. I like cloth better because I can slide around without the fabric attaching itself to my clothes, but art leather is easier to care for. I've been quoted 3500 for custom-fitted covers at Subash, Thakarapparambu Rd. Seatex quoted 6500, because they take off the original cloth seats and do it over with extra padding and stuff. Kulathunkal quoted 7500 for art-leather covers that they claim will fit like a glove. They showed a sample seat and it was pretty good, with the Tata logo and all. They said it was expensive because it was genuine accessory? Is it worth it?
try the chavadimukku place for the seat covers too. I've found that they are relatively cheap

Quote:
I'd completely forgotten that this car had an HVAC! Our old 800 just had the dial, it was disconnected and completely useless. Thanks for the reminder. Will using the heater and the AC together harm anything?
you can't keep the AC and heater on together. You turn on the HVAC switch, and choose between hot and cold using the dial. dont use recirculate mode when using the heater, You'll feel very suffocated. My indica had a problem wherein the cable for this particular dial kept breaking. still does, so I dont use it much.
Old 8th August 2010, 08:21   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
My speeding days have long gone. Too old now. Moreover, since I strictly don't use horn, it is easier to be slow.
Those were the last words from TRRK in Team-BHP. He passed away yesterday. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2016548
Old 10th August 2010, 22:27   #60
BHPian

Firstly, I'd like to pay my respects to Dr. T.R. Rajesh Kumar aka trrk. You were very helpful right from the beginning, when I was making my purchase decisions, giving valuable insight on the pros and cons of Tata ownership, both directly and indirectly. Thank you, Sir. Even in your last posts here, you were your wonderful, helpful self. Rest in Peace.

@MilesAndSmiles - Thank you for the link. To set the record straight, trrk's last post was made in the Tata Safari solutions thread, minutes after this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
get the redgrilles. they sound annoying, but are totally effective . else get something which sounds more pleasant
I have a pair of huge Roots jeep horns on the 800. No sense in keeping them on there, when I'm using the Indigo more, so I'll probably transplant them here. I think I'll add a two way switch so I can switch between stock and Jeep. But I just might decide to get the Hellas, depending on my Onam bonus. Does Motorplaza have them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
yup, its old stock. very old stock, but i feel it works just the same
I'll check it out and buy some, as long as it isn't past expiry date!

Quote:
The immediate benefit of the lesser NVH is there, but I have a nagging suspicion if using it too much is good in the long run. I've been experiencing a significant dip in performance ( i've got trouble going over 120ish speeds) not sure if this is related
Per your advice, I'm using less than the recommended dosage. I haven't checked the top speed yet, but it went upto 140 easily and felt like it could do more.

Quote:
sadly no it doesnt. from what i found out on this forum, there isnt sufficient rear overhang in the indica to fit the anti roll bar in the rear, and this is very obvious while cornering
They should have come up with a slightly extended version of the Indica, with the DICOR engine and all the good stuff from the Indigo. I wish they'd do it with the Vista. It could do with some additional bootspace. I'd have fought more to get the Vista if it had more bootspace. It's baffling that Tata doesn't see the potential of an estate that looks like a hatch, like the Jazz. Estates have failed in India because they have hatchback looks at sedan money. That they offer loads more cargo space is immaterial to the layman, and thus image suffers. A short estate/long hatchback would be cheaper than a sedan and still offer excellent space. and good looks. Give it a bit more ground clearance, some good skirting and high-profile tyres and it could even pass for a soft-roader.

Do you mind telling me why you didn't go for the DLX version from the onset instead of the DLG?

Quote:
mine isnt technically a damping job. its a cheap hack to prevent the plastic body panels from vibrating ( which they will if your speakers are half decent). kulathunkal does wuerth damping for around 3k
Yes, it was the 'cheap' part of your hackjob that caught my attention in the first place! Which is why I'm so interested in it!

Quote:
don't, it not worth the trouble. I tried getting mine painted myself and from kulathunkal, and in both cases did not look significantly better. plus a few battle scars prevent more from jealous dudes
It doesn't bother me as much, but it does bother my dad, who is constantly asking me when I'm going to have it fixed. I'm of the same opinion as you are, though the idea of my baby being deliberately scratched sends chills down my spine.

Quote:
the pickup is sluggish in the afternoon etc ( when its hot) try to keep your trips during night/early morning when the air is cool and you'll find the car a hoot to drive I believe its because hotter air = lesser efficiency from the intercooler.
I've noticed this before. But still the initial response is sluggish, esp. when compared to the more modern common rail diesels. The first gear is too short, but short-shifting to second leaves you just shy of the torque band and the car shuddering. The ratios must be different for the DICOR, because it seemed a lot better on this regard.

But seriously, once you learn to work the gearbox, you can really move. You just have to get over the shyness to rev the engine past 3K.

Quote:
try the chavadimukku place for the seat covers too. I've found that they are relatively cheap
I never gave Motor Plaza a chance because I automatically assumed that such a big shop would be too expensive for me. Of course, the various pics of exotic rides parked around there only strengthened my opinion. But now, I think I'll give them a try.

Quote:
you can't keep the AC and heater on together. You turn on the HVAC switch, and choose between hot and cold using the dial. dont use recirculate mode when using the heater, You'll feel very suffocated. My indica had a problem wherein the cable for this particular dial kept breaking. still does, so I dont use it much.
I am a bit reluctant to use the HVAC function, because I usually never switch out of recirculate mode. Invariably, the car ends up filled with some horrible stink whenever I set it to fresh-air mode. You also make a good point about the suspect reliability of the Tata knobs. I'm using them as rarely as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Cool ownership thread, though, Vivek. I'm following this pretty closely out of interest. I'm a fan of Tatas, though I can't say I'm blind to the faults in the cars. Glad to know they're coming up with innovative products for gaps that no-one knew existed!
Thanks. The ownership so far has been more or less trouble-free and my car doesn't seem to be a lemon of any kind. I admit that I do get the odd twinge when I see the Quadrajet/TDCi badges on Vistas and Figos occasionally, but never when I'm driving the car. It's odd, whenever I'm not driving it, and I see more modern cars, I wish that we could have got a different car, but it disappears when I'm driving it! I think we got a pretty good deal for the money spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
@Vivekgk,
The misting at the bottom of the wind shield can be avoided by switching off the internal air circulation switch, just keep your A/C on with fresh air only. I had this similar problem in my Indica Xeta and this one surely takes care of the issue. Mostly, in rainy days when its not raining this used to happen for me and its really irritating at nights.
Thank you! I've tried this and it works. I don't like changing to the free-air mode due to unwelcome smells, but in the rain, it's not much of a problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks