Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2010, 07:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

@ 4x4addict,
In the first OTR, a piece of cladding over the right rear wheel was lost, during a water crossing, the part of rear bumper which houses the camera was lost, the front bumper lip garnish cracked, the running board had to be re welded as it took quite some hits and there were umpteen scratches due to the thorny terrain.
Old 24th July 2010, 08:01   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a nice beast you have there. Here are some of the pics from our shoot.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...img_5254tl.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-img_5262a.jpg
Old 24th July 2010, 13:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi Lukes:

Great report and great pics. What damages happened in the OTR? I took my 4x4 Scorpio off-road and the approach, departure angles are pathetic due to the design of the front and rear bumpers and running boards.

The safari is much better in that aspect as the bumper doesn't hang down as much in the front or back.
Its the same with the Safari also although unlike the Scorpio's low hanging bumpers, the overhang in Safari is a hindrance.
Old 6th March 2011, 09:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

40k kms service done

18 months old and 39800 kms covered, I gave the vehicle for service today for the 40k kms 5th free service, as usual booked at Prerana Motors Old Madras road, went there at about 9.45 am and was not very crowded, was promised return of vehicle by 4 pm.
Nothing major to be repaired/replaced, just the oil change and service.

Got a call at 3.30 pm saying vehicle is ready, went there by 4.30 and was happy to note that they had done a complimentary 3M polish service, (I have got this benefit every time I have given it for service), all issues fixed, my grouse about initial lack of pick up was diagnosed to a clogged air filter which was replaced with a new one. They found that the indicator stalk was not functioning as it should, so as they did not have it in stock, it has been ordered to be replaced under warranty.

Vehicle seems smoother as a result of new oil and the pick up too seems to be back to normal. Overall, good job on service by Prerana.
Old 6th March 2011, 12:05   #20
BANNED

Re: 40k kms service done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Vehicle seems smoother as a result of new oil and the pick up too seems to be back to normal. Overall, good job on service by Prerana.
Have you ever faced the typical "loss of pick up on 3rd gear at 30-35kmph/1300-1500rpm" that many other Safaris have?
Old 6th March 2011, 13:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

re: Black Storm-Safari GX 4x4. EDIT : 70k Kms update

"Loss of pickup" during cold starts is definitely noticed on a regular basis, but from my experience it happens only when the engine is cold and happens about a kilometre from my house most mornings, and yes, it is accompanied by a puff of black smoke from the exhaust as well. I have, in a way, gotten used to it and know when to expect it.
Old 6th March 2011, 13:24   #22
BHPian

Re: 40k kms service done

Great pics of the black beauty!
I presume this was shot somewhere close to Bangalore. Where was this?

Quote:

Got a call at 3.30 pm saying vehicle is ready, went there by 4.30 and was happy to note that they had done a complimentary 3M polish service, (I have got this benefit every time I have given it for service), ..
I have heard that Safari owners are the pampered lot at TASS.
Although I have been getting my Indica 1.4 (P) serviced at Concorde motors for the last 5 years, I have hardly got the delivery at the committed time.

Happy driving !
Old 7th September 2011, 20:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Black Storm to Undergo surgery

Completed 50k kms recently, it has been slightly over two years of ownership and am pretty satisfied with the vehicle's performance.
But as is the case, my driver decides to give me a "gift" for completing 2 years and 50k kms, he apparently has yanked the rear door and the damper which is attached to the body and the door pops out, instead of trying to fix it back on it's mount he has just slammed the door shut, which results in this

Black Storm-Safari GX 4x4. EDIT : 70k Kms update-p9070006-640x480.jpg

Black Storm-Safari GX 4x4. EDIT : 70k Kms update-p9070007-640x480.jpg

For want of a nail, a kingdom (well a bumper) was almost lost

Name:  P9070008 640x480.JPG
Views: 1649
Size:  31.3 KB

So today went to Pavan's recommended garage (where all his restorations take place), Naveed the young painter takes one look at the bumper and says "this can be stiched", wow, I get a quote which is too good to believe, so ask him to go ahead and "restore" the bumper.

Black Storm being prepared for surgery

Black Storm-Safari GX 4x4. EDIT : 70k Kms update-p9070009-640x480.jpg

Black Storm caught with his skirt down

Black Storm-Safari GX 4x4. EDIT : 70k Kms update-p9070011-640x480.jpg

Pavan and the mechanic holding on to Black Storm's skirt

Black Storm-Safari GX 4x4. EDIT : 70k Kms update-p9070013-640x480.jpg

I should be getting back the bumper in a day or two, will post the result, till then keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10th September 2011, 17:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

I got the car back yesterday evening, was quite pleased with the finish.

Black Storm-Safari GX 4x4. EDIT : 70k Kms update-6.jpg

Black Storm-Safari GX 4x4. EDIT : 70k Kms update-7.jpg

Black Storm-Safari GX 4x4. EDIT : 70k Kms update-8.jpg

Black Storm-Safari GX 4x4. EDIT : 70k Kms update-9.jpg

The rear bumper was removed, repaired and then painted after all lights and fittings were removed.
I asked the front bumper too to be painted as it had some minor scratches.
And Naveed charged me Rs.1500/- for the entire job . Pavan you rock.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 14:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

That is one hell of a finish there.

Excellent work.

Hari: is that small puny lock the one and only guard of your rear wheel cover?
Old 12th September 2011, 08:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hari: is that small puny lock the one and only guard of your rear wheel cover?
Don't go by looks, and don't you dare call my Yale lock puny, it can fight tooth and nail before giving in and will die (break) before someone can steal my Spare Wheel cover, and yes as it is also can rust so badly that a potential thief will get Tetanus if he tries to outrage it's modesty
Old 12th September 2011, 11:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hari - Wow ! that was a pretty neat job done to the bumper. It looks as good as new.

Apart from the bumper, i have some other serious stuff to attend to my fender and bonnet, the story later. Currently, busy sorting out insurance documents etc..
Old 15th September 2011, 12:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
18 months old and 39800 kms covered, I gave the vehicle for service today for the 40k kms 5th free service,
Hari,

5th service is at 40k or at 45k? was it a schedule service or you got it done extra voluntarily!

BTW, nicely maintained vehicle, beautiful pics. And yes, its a head turner for sure.

Quote:
Don't go by looks, and don't you dare call my Yale lock puny, it can fight tooth and nail before giving in and will die (break) before someone can steal my Spare Wheel cover, and yes as it is also can rust so badly that a potential thief will get Tetanus if he tries to outrage it's modesty
This made me like this .
Great sense of humor.

PS: Sorry mods for back to back posts. Realized it after posting. Pl. merge the posts.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 17th September 2011 at 08:33. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 16:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5th service is at 40k or at 45k? was it a schedule service or you got it done extra voluntarily!
5th Service is indeed at 45k kms, but right from the beginning due my not reading the user manual and going by a service advisor's instructions, I was following a wrong service schedule, but have hence got the schedules right.
So at 50k kms I got the 45k kms service done again.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:44   #30
BANNED

Re: Black Storm to Undergo surgery

Quote:
So today went to Pavan's recommended garage (where all his restorations take place), Naveed the young painter takes one look at the bumper and says "this can be stiched", wow, I get a quote which is too good to believe, so ask him to go ahead and "restore" the bumper.
Can you PM me the details and contact number of this place pl. Hariya's bumper has a few battle scars and I want them removed. I m also looking forward to getting his wheel covers painted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks