Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 09:10   #1
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia vRS - 12/2004 - Diamond Grey - Update @ 54000 kms

Continuing from my earlier thread about advice vRs and searching for clean car since 2008 finally ended yesterday. Special thanks to SS Traveller. He was instrumental in getting hold of my vRs.

EARLIER THREAD
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ey-2004-a.html

Details of the car - cash deal 4.75L.
Insurance from new india insurance for 3.5 L @ 12k. Dont know the exact amount as i gave a blank cheque.

Model : 12/2004
Color : Diamond Grey
Odo : 33610
Status of Car : sparingly used after 2008.
Service Records : Yes
Duplicate Key : Yes
Key Tag : No. they even dont know about it. Assured me to check for it.

Things i plan to do and need advice from vRs owners

Immediate :
1. Service & Oil Change - Thought of Helix - Any other suggestion.
2. Re inspect break pads again. Rotor will hold back for a while
3. Service interval display reset.
4. Air filter checked
5. Will get the timing belt checked. Plan to get it changed as its six years old and more concern no being used regularly.
6. Injector cleaning - How about system G ?

Any other which i need to check immediately as the vRs was less used for 2 years.

Skoda Octavia vRS - 12/2004 - Diamond Grey - Update @ 54000 kms-img_8973-medium.jpg

Will upload more photos and details soon.
v&v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2010, 09:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

V&V SuperCharged Congrats for one of the Best "Driver's Car" ever on an Indian soil.

We all know that Skodas can run for eternity and probably as most experts here would agree, You have virtually got a Steal there with 33k on the ODO!! AWESOME
Old 19th August 2010, 09:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

Change the water pump at the same time as timing belt. Check front suspension bushes.

Be proactive and order and retain coil packs. When one eventually goes, replace and keep older ones as spare.

Keep an eye on the clutch. If and when you have to change it, you don't have to change the flywheel unless you change the clutch around 60000.

Spray the area around battery and the fuse box with WD40. Notorious moisture trap and the fuse box burns leaving you with no cooling fans and a/c

Do a check on sunroof. Open it, pour a little water on down channels. You should see water coming out of front door hinge area and rear mudguards
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2010, 09:51   #4
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase.Car looks brand new.Too good!

What do you mean by tag on the key??
Old 19th August 2010, 10:07   #5
BHPian

Congratulation, v&v.

The car looks really neat. vRS is indeed a fantastic ride and I am sure you are going to love every moment of owning the beast.

The vRS guru has already suggested quite a few things that you need to look out for.

2 cents from my end based on my experience with Skodas and service centers:

There is really no way of checking the condition of the timing belt. In fact, this is exactly what the SA at the service center had tld me when he was suggesting the timing belt change for my Octavia at 75K and I asked him to check the condition. His response was "Sir, it is recommended to be changed at 75K and there is really no way of telling how much more would it last. But, if you want we can change it at the next service". My Octavia has now clocked about 78K and I plan to address timing belt replacement at 85K. Bottomline, if you think you want to change, go ahead. Also factor in the fact that the car is close to 6 years old and the timing belt may have become brittle due to not being in use much.

I have been using System G once in every 2-3 gas refills since last 15-16 months and I have really not faced any issued. Started using it after my engine mis-fired in last June and it was attributed to bad fuel.

In addition, also please check the secondary radiator fan. They are weak links as well. You may not face any issues right now if the secondary fan is not working and my not even realise that its not working. But come summer, if the fan is not working, then the car would tend to heat up.

Cheers,
Old 19th August 2010, 12:05   #6
BHPian

congrats v&v and welcome to the exclusive club! Now that you have taken the plunge the first advice would be that treat your car well and it shall do fine. She is no less then a gf/wife (oh so ever demanding!!!). vRS gurus have already highlighted the care which you need to take while maintaining this beauty.
There's a guy who has an independent Skoda garage in Vikas Puri. He has extremely good and vast knowledge of Skoda cars. After all he was the service head of skoda workstation earlier and had also worked with merc. He takes care of my vRS. Excellent guy to get the work done reliably and cheap. Oh and he has excellent sources for genuine parts as well. If you need his number you can pm me.
@Ardy. I have seen vRS timing belt getting snapped at 48K. Torque does have its impact on the timing belt.
Dust is the biggest culprit of Skoda cars. AC coil, radiator fan and sensors are always at risk. Also car was sparingly used after 2008. There are chances that you can get multiple error throws while you start using the car extensively. Better to get it thoroughly checked before driving this regularly.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:49   #7
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
V&V SuperCharged Congrats for one of the Best "Driver's Car" ever on an Indian soil.

We all know that Skodas can run for eternity and probably as most experts here would agree, You have virtually got a Steal there with 33k on the ODO!! AWESOME
Thanks Vik0728. Given the price of used Honda Civic as i was about to close a deal of 28k, 2008 civic when this vRs cropped up again it a 50% saving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Change the water pump at the same time as timing belt. Check front suspension bushes.

Be proactive and order and retain coil packs. When one eventually goes, replace and keep older ones as spare.

Keep an eye on the clutch. If and when you have to change it, you don't have to change the flywheel unless you change the clutch around 60000.

Spray the area around battery and the fuse box with WD40. Notorious moisture trap and the fuse box burns leaving you with no cooling fans and a/c

Do a check on sunroof. Open it, pour a little water on down channels. You should see water coming out of front door hinge area and rear mudguards
Thankyou Ajmat. Very valuable advice. Will certainly check these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Congrats on the purchase.Car looks brand new.Too good!

Thanks octane1002. Yes , what surprised me too. It was almost showroom condition. I will click the interiors and engine compartment photos this week end. Pretty well maintained car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Congratulation, v&v.

The car looks really neat. vRS is indeed a fantastic ride and I am sure you are going to love every moment of owning the beast.

The vRS guru has already suggested quite a few things that you need to look out for.

2 cents from my end based on my experience with Skodas and service centers:

There is really no way of checking the condition of the timing belt. In fact, this is exactly what the SA at the service center had tld me when he was suggesting the timing belt change for my Octavia at 75K and I asked him to check the condition. His response was "Sir, it is recommended to be changed at 75K and there is really no way of telling how much more would it last. But, if you want we can change it at the next service". My Octavia has now clocked about 78K and I plan to address timing belt replacement at 85K. Bottomline, if you think you want to change, go ahead. Also factor in the fact that the car is close to 6 years old and the timing belt may have become brittle due to not being in use much.

I have been using System G once in every 2-3 gas refills since last 15-16 months and I have really not faced any issued. Started using it after my engine mis-fired in last June and it was attributed to bad fuel.

In addition, also please check the secondary radiator fan. They are weak links as well. You may not face any issues right now if the secondary fan is not working and my not even realise that its not working. But come summer, if the fan is not working, then the car would tend to heat up.

Cheers,
I am not sure the timing belts age with respect to time or with respect to usage. I feel they should be high quality stuff. Still will get an opinion.

I would like to use system G first before opting for Injector cleaning and throttle body cleaning.

Thanks buddy for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
congrats v&v and welcome to the exclusive club! Now that you have taken the plunge the first advice would be that treat your car well and it shall do fine. She is no less then a gf/wife (oh so ever demanding!!!). vRS gurus have already highlighted the care which you need to take while maintaining this beauty.
There's a guy who has an independent Skoda garage in Vikas Puri. He has extremely good and vast knowledge of Skoda cars. After all he was the service head of skoda workstation earlier and had also worked with merc. He takes care of my vRS. Excellent guy to get the work done reliably and cheap. Oh and he has excellent sources for genuine parts as well. If you need his number you can pm me.
@Ardy. I have seen vRS timing belt getting snapped at 48K. Torque does have its impact on the timing belt.
Dust is the biggest culprit of Skoda cars. AC coil, radiator fan and sensors are always at risk. Also car was sparingly used after 2008. There are chances that you can get multiple error throws while you start using the car extensively. Better to get it thoroughly checked before driving this regularly.
Thanks Ashish22. Do PM me the the Vikaspuri Skoda garage guys number. I am not comfortable taking to A.S.S after so much read about it. A.S.S will be the last place i will prefer.
Old 19th August 2010, 13:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome deal there for one of the best cars in this country.

I am still unable to digest the fact that previous owner has done only 33K in last 6 years. Is it single owner? Hope you double checked the odo as some folks tend to turn the mileage backwards.

Look forward to many more pictures including the interior pictures soon.

Drive Safe and Have fun !
Old 19th August 2010, 13:51   #9
BHPian

Awesome deal. happy motoring! Do give an ownership update after 6 months!
Old 19th August 2010, 14:18   #10
BHPian

Congrats on a good deal bro. Glad to see you had the patience to stick it out to land the drive of your choice.

If you need good quality parts them PM me. I can direct you to a person in Kashmiri gate who stocks good quality German imported parts for Skoda. I along with some friends have been sourcing parts from him for quite some time now (none of us go to Skoda A**).

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post

Skoda gives 2 keys along with a key tag. The key tag contains the code to generate a new key if the old ones get damaged or are lost. The manual says that they will not issue a spare key without the tag and hence the importance of the tag. I have mine tucked away along with the spare key since the last 5 years
Old 19th August 2010, 16:19   #11
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Awesome deal there for one of the best cars in this country.
I am still unable to digest the fact that previous owner has done only 33K in last 6 years. Is it single owner? Hope you double checked the odo as some folks tend to turn the mileage backwards.

Look forward to many more pictures including the interior pictures soon.

Drive Safe and Have fun !
Thanks mobike008. Yes i had thoroughly verified the records. the car used to go to Silvertone okhla. Then got inspected in Bosch service center too. Physical inspection too indicates the car has not been used much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Awesome deal. happy motoring! Do give an ownership update after 6 months!
Thanks acidkill. Yap i will be updating this thread continually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Congrats on a good deal bro. Glad to see you had the patience to stick it out to land the drive of your choice.

If you need good quality parts them PM me. I can direct you to a person in Kashmiri gate who stocks good quality German imported parts for Skoda. I along with some friends have been sourcing parts from him for quite some time now (none of us go to Skoda A**).

Skoda gives 2 keys along with a key tag. The key tag contains the code to generate a new key if the old ones get damaged or are lost. The manual says that they will not issue a spare key without the tag and hence the importance of the tag. I have mine tucked away along with the spare key since the last 5 years
Thanks Cesc. Well its more luck than patience as i had left hope of getting a clean vRs. I infact looking for a Civic.
Also thanks for answering about the key tag. It just skipped from me.
Old 19th August 2010, 17:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Ok, I guess its a black plastic tag that contains a 4 digit number ryt??
Old 20th August 2010, 21:36   #13
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Got my vRs serviced at Wheel force.

Oil Petronas SYNTIUM 5000 - 0W-40 @ 4.5L @ 625 = 2812/-
Gearbox oil - 3L - @ 170 = 510
Oil Filter - 259.
Spark plugs OK
Air Filter OK
Pollen filter = ok
All cleaned.

Injector Cleaning @ 1200/-
Service Labour @ 750/-
Total Bill including Vat = 6228/-
My vRs has become super responsive.

Next is the tyre change -
Thought of buying Yoko s-drive 205-55-r16 @ 7000/pcs.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2010, 22:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
amount as i gave a blank cheque.

Err..Is that a wise thing to do

Congrats on the car, though
Old 20th August 2010, 22:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Got my vRs serviced at Wheel force.

Oil Petronas SYNTIUM 5000 - 0W-40 @ 4.5L @ 625 = 2812/-
Gearbox oil - 3L - @ 170 = 510
Oil Filter - 259.
Spark plugs OK
Air Filter OK
Pollen filter = ok
All cleaned.

Injector Cleaning @ 1200/-
Service Labour @ 750/-
Total Bill including Vat = 6228/-
My vRs has become super responsive.

Next is the tyre change -
Thought of buying Yoko s-drive 205-55-r16 @ 7000/pcs.

Try getting these Michelin primacy LC"s amazing grip . 7500 per tyre
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia vRS - 12/2004 - Diamond Grey - Update @ 54000 kms-skoda-4.jpg  

wbd8779 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed