Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 11:21   #646
Senior - BHPian

92K update, upcoming drive

I might be going on a 6500km roadtrip to the Himalayas in June.

Need to get the 95K servicing done around 94K.

A plastic fender above the wheel arch has come off (had scraped and loosened it in the parking lot of a mall, then it flew off during highway driving). need to fix that. Need tyre rotation and balancing done, have to skim the brake discs, need to check batteries, clutch and brakes (precaution before driving in the mountains).

Route: Bangalore - Nagpur - Sagar - Agra - Kumaon and back through the Western route.

Sharing a few photos from the recent Satpura trip. The Fortuner performed flawlessly in the forest. I keep telling people to buy the 4WD version :-) Will start the travelogue if I get time.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-processed.jpeg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_0396_small.jpeg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_1151.jpeg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 7th May 2015 at 11:32.
nilanjanray is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 14:59   #647
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!

The Bison has a new companion - a red ANHC. A sophisticated urban chick, trying to get along with an old fashioned rustic guy.

Got the plastic cladding fixed, cost me 8.5K (!!!). For a simple plastic item, painting and labour. Robbery!

I will have to get the 95K servicing done around 93K.

After driving the ANHC for a while, I am missing the USB port and bluetooth hands free calling :-(
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 19:56   #648
BHPian

Rear bumper replacement

Sorry for posting this on your thread. I was looking for some information on T-Fort repair costs.

I hit a Fortuner from behind in slow moving traffic yesterday. Its bumper has some paint damage and a dent. Was completely my mistake and will pay for the repair. Yet to visit the ASC. How much do you think a complete bumper replacement + painting will cost?
Old 17th May 2015, 20:21   #649
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rear bumper replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Sorry for posting this on your thread. I was looking for some information on T-Fort repair costs.

I hit a Fortuner from behind in slow moving traffic yesterday. Its bumper has some paint damage and a dent. Was completely my mistake and will pay for the repair. Yet to visit the ASC. How much do you think a complete bumper replacement + painting will cost?
Should cost 30-35K, all inclusive
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 20:48   #650
BHPian

Re: 92K update, upcoming drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Sharing a few photos from the recent Satpura trip.
Stunning Pics Nilanjan, National Geographic class.Leopard is so hard to spot which makes it priceless.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2015, 20:58   #651
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rear bumper replacement

Brilliant pics! Nice thread nilanjanray

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
...I hit a Fortuner from behind in slow moving traffic yesterday. Its bumper has some paint damage and a dent. Was completely my mistake and will pay for the repair. Yet to visit the ASC. How much do you think a complete bumper replacement + painting will cost?
If I may, offer to pay the "no claim bonus" that the owner would lose if he claims from his own insurance.

Nothing wrong in asking.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 17th May 2015 at 20:59.
Old 20th May 2015, 13:09   #652
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!

Seems it will be a 7000 km trip. Need to get tyre rotation and alignment done before that. Wondering whether I should get it done at the ASC during the service, or go to a place like Madhu's.
Old 25th May 2015, 12:18   #653
BANNED

Quote:
Wondering whether I should get it done at the ASC during the service, or go to a place like Madhu's.
Madhu's or a reputed garage any day is my recommendation.
Old 26th June 2015, 22:15   #654
Senior - BHPian

100000 km update

Back after a 7000 km roadtrip to the Himalayas. The Bison performed well, except a couple of issues: a puncture (due to a sharp screw), and the horn developing a sore throat.

Will take it for 100K servicing.

A shot taken at ~11000 feet:

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-pony.jpg
nilanjanray is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 12:26   #655
Senior - BHPian

Had to use 4L a bit when climbing a narrow trail to one of the resorts (up and down many times). The extra torque and reduced speed helps so much, when there is not much room for error.

Carried basic camera gear for this trip (i.e. didn''t rent a full frame DSLR or any special lens). A few shots:

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_3055.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2802.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2895_small.jpeg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2564bw.jpg
nilanjanray is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 12:32   #656
Senior - BHPian

101,000 km update

The vehicle finished 1 lakh km servicing a few days back.

The horn was replaced for Rs. 2.2 K. Other than that, the usual stuff - engine oil + filter change, propeller shaft greasing, usual checkups and top ups.

There is some rubber bush around the brake, that need to be replaced. Will get it done next time. The SA also advised that I replace fuel filter again (it had been replaced at 85K), and get the engine cleaned. Not sure whether this is for the ASC to get extra money, or is required (e.g. due to bad fuel in the mountains).

Otherwise, all OK with the vehicle. The Pirellis have done 32K km, doing alright. Grip in wet conditions is pretty good.

A photo from last month's roadtrip. Shot at 10,500 feet.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_3077_small.jpg
nilanjanray is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 07:30   #657
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 101,000 km update

Quote:
The vehicle finished 1 lakh km servicing a few days back.
Congrats on this milestone Nilanjan! Have updated your thread title to reflect this
Can you add a slightly more detailed post reflecting on 1L km of ownership? What went right, what went wrong, would you do it all over again type of stuff. I doubt there are too many Fortuners on the forum who've covered that much, so it would be very helpful to have the summary view.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 00:29   #658
Senior - BHPian

Re: 101,000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Congrats on this milestone Nilanjan! Have updated your thread title to reflect this
Can you add a slightly more detailed post reflecting on 1L km of ownership? What went right, what went wrong, would you do it all over again type of stuff. I doubt there are too many Fortuners on the forum who've covered that much, so it would be very helpful to have the summary view.
A boring report. I am glad I bought the vehicle, no regrets. If I had to replace the vehicle, I would probably buy another Fortuner. I have spoken about the pros a number off times. Its an allrounder vehicle that can cruise for 1000 kms, go offroading the next morning, and after coming back, take you to office through city traffic. Without extra maintenance.

What could be better/went wrong? Insights:

1. Know what you are buying, and why. Body on frame, tall vehicle, average brakes, basic (but functional) interiors.
2. Tyres: the reliability curve is flat, with a steep drop in the end. But then the tyres had to put up with a lot of abuse.
3. Don't take the vehicle through water and slush unless you have to. I had the alternator acting funny after attending Toyota's offroading event (I did take it through the course multiple times, was having fun). But this holds true for any vehicle, including LC 200 and Nissan Patrol.
4. Don't trust ASCs blindly. Especially if you have a 4WD Fortuner. They are too used to doing SOPs, and have little clue about the extra stuff that a 4WD vehicle - especially one that is used for offroading - requires.
5. Middle seat is not that family friendly. Bumpy, body roll.
6. Lack of USB/Bluetooth sucks (true for 'Classic' Fortuners)
7. I have had minor issues that haven't been solved. E.g. kaat noise from the brakes, the ICE acting funny once in a while etc. But I have learnt to live with them.
8. Could attract women who love adventure
9. Could make bosses think you don't need raises

Biased opinion: Buy the Fortuner if you value 4WD capabilities, toughness and reliability. If you need a mallroader, or just a city slicker, there are too many cons with the vehicle (rustic, body roll, bumpy, brakes).

Bottomline: It's a Daniel Craig, not a Roger Moore.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 28th July 2015 at 00:32.
nilanjanray is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 15:52   #659
BHPian

Very Well put Nilanjan! The Fortuner is a Daniel Craig for sure! By the way i dont think you should need to replace the fuel filter at this stage since you just had it done at 85,000 kms.

In any case a fuel light will come on in the instrument cluster to let you know when its required.

Even i would replace my Fortuner with another Fortuner only. It is such a no nonsense vehicle. Mine is at the cusp of 1,50,000 kms and still running on the Original Clutch Plate.

Will post an update soon but to be honest there isn't anything really to report except that its running better than the day i got it.

Hope to be able to meet up when you are up North next.
Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 22:22   #660
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Nilanjan! I would call your Fortuner 1,00,000 kms young. To Toyota this is like 20K kms on any other manufacturer's car.

Great pics and writing. Always enjoy going through your thread.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks