Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 18:51   #1
BHPian

Ownership review for ANHC

Background: I needed a car for commuting in Delhi & NCR. I had an Indica already, so thought of buying a sedan for boot space, refinement and upgrade to the next level. Earlier being in a sales profile with extensive travel (100 Kms / day), the Indica was a good decision and it has served me well, as it was low on maintenance (contrary to popular belief, its cheaper than a Santro), reliable, fantastic AC, loads of space and an extremely frugal engine. Highway drives have been a pleasure and confidence inspiring at high speeds. Over time with promotions, now my travel had reduced so even a petrol car also came into consideration.

Purchase decision: I did much research and analysis and also used T-Bhp extensively for my research. I looked at and TDed almost everything available then, and had narrowed my choices to the Linea MJD, Fiesta, SX4 and ANHC. During my initial trials, I had ruled out the Fiesta for its cramped interiors (I am nearly 6 ft) and after some after thought even the SX4. However, the Linea kept growing on me, although there were service issues (perceived by many - may not be real as posts in the forum point out.). It was a beautiful car, the MJD engine was good, the drive and suspension was fantastic, and gear shifts a bit rubbery but ok and interiors were loaded. The feature list seems to never end. It was 40-50K cheaper than the ANHC (VMT) with all the discounts. I had almost taken it at that point. ANHC, when I Test-drove it 2-3 times, was good to drive. Although it did not inspire much confidence.
After long deliberation and consideration between the Linea & ANHC, I was more inclined towards the Linea, but finally my wife put her foot down on the ANHC, and we bought a Tafeta White ANHC VMT in March 2010.

9000 Kms review:

I've used this car in the city around 80% of the time, and the rest on highways. Its good to drive, the AC is good, and there is no outside noise. This car gives a nice ride when driven sedately. However the ride gets jarring when the speeds increase on bad roads. Spares are a rip-off and with so many ANHC around the dealership no longer gives you the premium customer experience as they are simple overloaded.

Pros:

1. Its comfortable for long drives. In-city commutes are a peaceful. The steering is well weighted. No rattles, its silent inside, with only the road noise coming in.
2. ABS is good, and saved my skin in a tight position on the highway.
3. Engine is very silent and responsive when required. So overtaking on highways is not a problem.
4. Mileage is good. Gives me around 12-14 in city, and 16-odd on highways. I am a spirited driver.
5. Servicing is good. However could be improved.

Cons (did not expect this many):

1. Poor equipment level. No climate control, no bluetooth integration, no split rear seats, no adjustable front arm-rest, no rear a/c vent.
2. Parts are expensive, so be ready to burn a hole in your pocket.
3. Fog Lamps (VMT model) are extremely FRAGILE. The Fog Lamp glass shatters on small impact from stones coming from cars/trucks ahead. Replacement costs 9000/-
4. Tires are skinny for the power, length and weight of the car (Michelin Energy XM1). Not confidence inspiring, start screaming too quickly.
5. Suspension is BAD. You feel and hear each bump on uneven roads. Suspension is noisy. Not fit for a car so expensive or big.
6. Rear seat travel is not comfortable on bumpy roads, passengers get tossed about, suspension dampening is not up to the mark.
7. Music system with the car is Ok, but speakers are not. In 6 months they start making vibrating noises.
8. Seats are soft, and I tend to get back pains on long rides.
9. Handling is average. Speeds exceeding 120 have to be taken cautiously.

In conclusion, this car is a good city commuter. If you are a restrained kind of person, this is your car. But on second thought even a Fiesta, SX4, Linea Petrol would do the same. ANHC is bought because of its power output, apart from new age looks and "H" badging. However the overall package from a spirited driver point of view disappoints. The suspension and high cost of spares are a let down. Its strength is great reliability and maintenance free engine - I will update this thread as the kilometers keep rolling.
Old 2nd November 2010, 21:23   #2
BHPian

Strange that you are having all these problems. You should get suspension checked.
Old 2nd November 2010, 22:40   #3
BHPian

Called up Honda One 2 One today. The calmly heard my issues and told me that I would be contacted by the local dealer (Ace Honda-Noida) and also someone from Honda Factory. Got a call from Ace Honda the Noida dealer, and took the car to the workshop. Explained the suspension noise issue to them, so they lifted the car up and checked the under-body and the suspension, which was OK.
We then went on a TD, and purposely took the car thru a nearby dumping yard. At around 30-40 kmph there was a whole lot of noise from the suspension, the noise inside the cabin would have been greater than what you would get in a Nano (no offence meant ) to which the reply was " this is OK, all cars make the same noise, the NHC (ZX) did not make this noise however the ANHC is a lighter car so these noises filter through" I was Shocked..!!! I just realised that I had spent nearly 10 Lacs on a car which had a noisy suspension. My Dad's 10 yr old Accent has a quieter cabin. The dealer tried to convince me and offered a TD in their Demo Car, but that did not help as the car was too rickety and had lots of other noises.

In the evening today my friend came to visit with his brand new ANHC S-MT and immediately I asked him for a TD. We went to a nearby road which is rough and with potholes, and to my surprise it did not make the noises. I then told my friend to drive my car on the same road and even he said my car was noisy.

Since nothing much came out of the dealer visit (they were purely finishing paper work, as this was an escillated call from Honda), so my hope now rests for a call from Honda technician. Maybe they might be able to help.

On the FOG Lamps......well I guess I have to shell out the 19,000/- for replacing the pair. With no grantees that a stone will not hit again and break them.

Will post the progress..
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:19   #4
VEA
BHPian

I TDed the ANHC recently and found the road and suspension noise filter into the cabin a lot more than I would have liked. I wanted an automatic, so went ahead with the booking and is expecting delivery around 15th Nov. I am a bit concerned about the noise, but I am planning to dampen the floor and wheel arches if it is really going to bother me. You may think in the lines as well.

Was the noise present at the time of delivery or is it a recent one? You could get your tires checked/balanced/aligned just in case.
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:49   #5
BHPian

I observed the noise as soon as the run in period (aka Honeymoon period) was over and I the car got into a normal routine with normal city driving.
I mentioned this in 1st service, and all nuts and bolts were checked and the I was assured that I am trying to listen too much.

If the Honda factory team comes up with the same explanation as the Service centre guys then I would be left with no other option but to modify the car and add dampeners. But that would spoil the originality of the car.

Although you have already booked, but I hope you have checked the back seat issues with the ANHC. Recently on a ride with my parents and my daughter in the back, they were continuously tossed around at speeds of 60-70 kmph in Delhi city roads. On their complain I had to reduce the speed down to 40 kmph. The Rear suspension seems to be too soft and bounces about.

My father was planning to replace his 10 yr old Hyundai Accent, and asked if he should also buy a City. I told him NOT to even look towards the City, and instead told him to go for the VW Vento. It might be down on power (few bhp) and engine refinement, but has an excellent ride..!!
Old 6th November 2010, 08:52   #6
BHPian

I have a Fabia. There is something called re-torque of suspension/shocks (or something). I have very limited knowledge on this. But when ever I complain of any noise from from that area, they just do that. Often they do that when not required and it introduces some noise.

Whatever it is, I think it requires proper balancing.

I think they should start with a grease job first. They will cleary try to avoid it as it requires quite a bit of time.
Old 6th November 2010, 11:42   #7
BHPian

Ownership review for ANHC - Noisy Suspension spoils the fun

I will have to look into re-torque of suspension/shocks, hope it can work.
However the general feeling is that the overall weight of the ANHC has been reduced and hence the sound dampening is not upto the mark.
Waiting for call from Honda technicians for some answers.
Old 10th November 2010, 17:34   #8
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitku View Post
I observed the noise as soon as the run in period (aka Honeymoon period) was over and I the car got into a normal routine with normal city driving.
I mentioned this in 1st service, and all nuts and bolts were checked and the I was assured that I am trying to listen too much.

If the Honda factory team comes up with the same explanation as the Service centre guys then I would be left with no other option but to modify the car and add dampeners. But that would spoil the originality of the car.

Although you have already booked, but I hope you have checked the back seat issues with the ANHC. Recently on a ride with my parents and my daughter in the back, they were continuously tossed around at speeds of 60-70 kmph in Delhi city roads. On their complain I had to reduce the speed down to 40 kmph. The Rear suspension seems to be too soft and bounces about.

My father was planning to replace his 10 yr old Hyundai Accent, and asked if he should also buy a City. I told him NOT to even look towards the City, and instead told him to go for the VW Vento. It might be down on power (few bhp) and engine refinement, but has an excellent ride..!!
The car inherently has a bit of road noise i guess. Honda wont be able to do too much about it i think. You may try change yours tires if you think they have worn out uneven or has lost its shape.

About the rear seat comfort, I am not sure how much it will bounce around, but compared to some other cars, the seating position is good. If your father is buying a petrol, the city may be a better option. But then again, it is your decision. I would have bought the vento if it had an auto diesel. I never found the city to be the most comfortable car. But at the moment i think it is best suited for my use.
Old 10th November 2010, 18:14   #9
BHPian

Hi Amitku,

Iam surprised to hear the issues of suspension and rear seat tossing. I guess in your case both are related to suspensions.

I have never felt nor heard a complaint (18k+ on the ODO) from my wife and kid who occupy the rear on long drives about tossing. Infact my 2.5years old daughter and wife gets sound sleep. This at much higher speeds than 40KMPH.

Get them checked thoroughly. Get a second opinion from another dealer in case possible.
Old 10th November 2010, 23:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
The car inherently has a bit of road noise i guess. Honda wont be able to do too much about it i think. You may try change yours tires if you think they have worn out uneven or has lost its shape.

About the rear seat comfort, I am not sure how much it will bounce around, but compared to some other cars, the seating position is good. If your father is buying a petrol, the city may be a better option. But then again, it is your decision. I would have bought the vento if it had an auto diesel. I never found the city to be the most comfortable car. But at the moment i think it is best suited for my use.
The Tires are as good as new (only 9K Kms on the odo), and no unusual wear and look in perfect shape. I also regularly get the air checked and keep it at 32/30 Lbs. The suspension noise comes when the car goes over uneven roads, and initially I thought that it was a loose brake calliper or shocker nut. But the guy at the service centre confirmed that similar noises can be heard even in a Civic...!! He also admitted that this sort of noise was not there in the previous City (ZX).
For my father, I am evaluating how expensive are the Vento spares, this after I had to pay 18K + labour for replacing my front Fog lamps glass (both broke in normal driving, with stones hitting it, don't know when will the next stone strike and break the Fog Lam glass again)
Old 10th November 2010, 23:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi Amitku,

Iam surprised to hear the issues of suspension and rear seat tossing. I guess in your case both are related to suspensions.

I have never felt nor heard a complaint (18k+ on the ODO) from my wife and kid who occupy the rear on long drives about tossing. Infact my 2.5years old daughter and wife gets sound sleep. This at much higher speeds than 40KMPH.

Get them checked thoroughly. Get a second opinion from another dealer in case possible.
@raghu: The tossing happened when there were 3 adult people in the rear seat and luggage in the trunk, and it was not mild.
Old 11th November 2010, 00:36   #12
BHPian

Guys, after all my previous quotes in this thread where I have written about the problems, I would like to change the track and report the reason for which I had bought the City..!! Its Engine..!!

For the Diwali break I was driving down to my home town Dehra Dun. Had attended office on Thursday, and started from Noida at 5:30 p.m.(Dehra Dun is approx 260 Km from my house). Got the initial traffic jams when getting out of NCr, specially at Modi Nagar, but onwards it was a comfortable drive and was able to maintain 100 Kmph.
When I was approx 55 Kms away from Doon, I came up behind an Innova, which was doing around 90 kmph. I dipped my headlights to ask for a pass and the guy sped up to 110, and later dropped back to 90. This continued a few times, and then I noticed that there were guys inside who were smoking and maybe drinking. The Innova had a police siren, and fancy blue and red LED's were installed on the windscreen and had HID headlamps.
It was 10:15 in the night, and we were on a relatively lonely stretch of highway, so I decided to overtake the Innova. I changed gears and revved the car. The Innova driver tried to block me, but I managed to overtake @ 110 kmph.
To my horror, the Innova guy started blinking his headlights and started blowing the siren. He increased his speed and was tailing me.
With my family (wife and daughter) onboard, I decided not to take risk and pressed on the accelerator paddle. To my dismay the Innova followed. I went all the way to 150 and the Innova was right there.
I did not like what was happening and told me wife to be alert, and pushed the paddle deeper and the car went upto 170+ kmph, and I was nearly redlining on the tacho. This was where the Innova lost steam and I guess it could not do more than 150. I continued at the speed till I reached the next Police checkpost at Mauhand (the Doon valley hills start from here).
It was then that I realised that it was only 10:26 p.m., which meant I had covered 20 Kms in 11 minutes, out of which 10 kms were on an incline, where normally cars have problem crossing 120.

This performance of the car really impressed me, as the speed was achieved without much fuss, the growl of the engine was fantastic to hear, and the power delivery was very linear as I could see the Innova disappear in the rear view mirror.
I would also admit that the high speed stability was good and it was well planted. The confidence to go at such speeds came from the reassured that the car had ABS and Air Bags. I just wish that Honda had given the car some better rubber, as that would have really made this car an overall package.

The famed Honda Engine was the reason why I bought the City, and this time it truly helped me get out of a difficult position. Cheers..!!
Old 11th November 2010, 14:50   #13
BHPian

good going amitku the ivtec saved you. regarding the noise I to have the same experience and did take the car to the workshop. the suspension was justified as being normal. Then they raised the car and retorqued the suspension (basically tightening the same). i have put larger size tires but with a slightly lower profile and on uneven roads one really has to bear the noise.
Old 11th November 2010, 15:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

The noise is a definite indication of cost cutting. But the suspension is something that I did not feel till date. Everyone is happy in the back. Michelin is quieter than the other OEM tires.

I too sometimes think of getting the noise dampening done but for the Fan rather than the suspension.

And +170 on that stretch is asking for trouble, villagers sometimes cross without notice and the roads do not support with the craters. I advice you to check alloys once you are free.
Old 11th November 2010, 19:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Amitku,
Next time someone troubles you, call the police or 108. 170 kmph at 10pm in the night is asking for trouble. Visibility is hazy at best on the Indian roads and too many kinds of living creatures, man included, cross at will.

Drive safe please, not only for you and your family, but others as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks