Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 12:47   #61
BHPian

First major hiccup!

Its been 8 months of owning the beast and it sure has been a pleasure, untill Sunday.

Odo reading : 59970
Kms done from the time I purchased : 15670
Interval since last service : 12000 kms (approx)

Problem :

1. Engine check LED is blinking
2. There is a mild clicking noise (about every 10-15 seconds), from the motor (located to the right of the engine, when facing from the front)

I checked with the A.S.S yesterday and the SA said it is the Inductor that has gone bad and needs replacement. Unfortunately I dont have an Extended warranty and he quoted a whopping 18000 for replacement.

Now, what if I dont want to replace it, untill it dies completely? Is it safe?

Is there any other workaround for this or better to replace it?
Old 6th May 2011, 02:49   #62
BANNED

Re: Powered by mHawk, driven by me! The Mahindra Scorpio

Inductor? What is that? Can you pl post a pic or 2? Which ASC are you planning to visit?
Let me know if you need any help.
Old 6th May 2011, 06:36   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Inductor? What is that? Can you pl post a pic or 2? Which ASC are you planning to visit?
Let me know if you need any help.
It is the 'Alternator'. I apologize for the mistake.

The SA from IG Workshop (Whitefield) said, the bearing was loose and they have tightened it. The clicking noise no longer exists and also the engine check LED stopped glowing. So, I'm hoping its fixed. When asked how long it would last, he said, it should work for a few months. Also he mentioned both the TVS & Bosch Alternators cost 18K.

Moreover, they said, they have not come across this kind of a problem before. I guess its not a common issue with this model.

Last edited by aviorp : 6th May 2011 at 06:37.
Old 6th May 2011, 07:45   #64
BHPian

@aviorp,

I would suggest you to check with Carnation @ NS Palya on this. The Service manager is an ex-SKS fellow. The good thing about Carnation is 'repair instead of replace'.

Contact person is Venkat : 08042457200 / 9686664929

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 23:18   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
So, I'm hoping its fixed. When asked how long it would last, he said, it should work for a few months. Also he mentioned both the TVS & Bosch Alternators cost 18K.
Okay, let me blow your myths here.

Alternators are eminently serviceable components and need not be replaced. All their major parts viz; rotors, stators, regulators, housings,bearings, pulleys etc are easily available and can be replaced very easily.
So, do not let anyone take you for a ride saying that the entire unit needs to be replaced, even when it is faulty.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 13:20   #66
BHPian

Clutch 'RIP'!

Its been a mixed feeling of owning the Scorp, so far. Looks like a series of issues, cropping up one after another. The clutch, gave way last night. Left the car at the IG workshop today and the cost for the replacement is Rs.10,400/-

Symptoms :

1. The clutch felt hard and shifting gears was not smooth
2. Accelerating results only in the engine revving and the car moves forward very slowly
3. The rpm drops quickly, while shifting gears.

Summary of my 8 months of ownership.

1. Kms done- 16,100
2. Total cost in maintenance and repair

a. 1st service - 5K
b. Clutch slave and assembly replaced - 2.5K
c. Paid service - 6K
d. Clutch replaced - 10.5K

Total : 23K

I can only hope that no other part will fail, atleast in the near future.
Old 12th May 2011, 15:15   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@aviorp:

Unless you are doing a lot of half clutching, 16,000 kms is too early for clutch failure. Please don't accept these kind of bull **** from the dealer. Raise it up mahindra. The contact details are on the scorpio website. It should have been covered under warranty. I know a scorpio that is used regularly in Bangalore traffic which had the clutch last longer than 80K kms.

This is definitely a defective part.
Old 12th May 2011, 15:38   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@aviorp:

Unless you are doing a lot of half clutching, 16,000 kms is too early for clutch failure. Please don't accept these kind of bull **** from the dealer. Raise it up mahindra. The contact details are on the scorpio website. It should have been covered under warranty. I know a scorpio that is used regularly in Bangalore traffic which had the clutch last longer than 80K kms.

This is definitely a defective part.
4x4addict, this a pre-worshipped scorp. The odo reading is 60,400. 16K kms, is from the time I purchased it. So, I'm hoping its a genuine failure.

I even asked the SA, if they had not noticed anything unusual, since the last service was done a week ago. He said, its an internal part and hard to identify if it would fail, by physically looking at it.
Old 12th May 2011, 15:57   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@aviorp:

With pre-owned cars it is very hard to judge condition of the internal power train components, especially like life of clutch etc..

As you said at 60K kms, it is possible normal wear and tear based on city driving.
Old 20th May 2011, 07:16   #70
BHPian

Finally, got the car last night and below are the parts replaced.

1. Clutch driven plate : 6466.46
2. Clutch cover Assy SC-Vlx : 2269.81
3. Ball Bearing Crakshaft : 91.62
4. Concentric Slave Cy : 2741
5. Fly Wheel -85KW LXCRDI : 3504.50
6. Gear shift Grommet : 150.87
7. Clutch overhaul : 2815.00 (FOC)
Total : 17680 (after tax)

Details & pics under this link : Scorpio Mhawk Clutch Failure & Break Down
Old 8th June 2011, 08:51   #71
BHPian

Under Chassis anti-rust coating!

Hi All,
I have done about 1500 Kms, since the clutch was replaced. The clutch and gear shift is much more smoother than earlier. Also, the acceleration has improved, however, there is not much of a change in the FE, as its still the 12 Kmpl mark. (It was 12.2 to be exact, tank full to tank full method)

Ahead of the rainy seaon, got the under chassis anti-rust coating done from 3M car care, yesterday.

Address : HSR Layout, 7th sector, 2nd right after silk board junction, next to Sweet Chariot and KC Das Sweets.

Contact person : Mr. Siddu - 9740520357.

Experience : After an appointment, visited the showroom around 4:30. Mr. Siddu, explained the various offerings.

About the anti-rust coating, there are two types. One comes with a 2 year warranty and the other with a 5 year warranty. For the later, they use a different type of product, that includes sound deadning, than the one offered for the former. It took about 2 hours for the complete procedure.

Its applied only on the chassis. Not on, fuel tank, exhaust, axle, engine etc.

Cost : Rs. 3795/-. Includes an inspection every 6 months.

Pics

Before the coating

Powered by mHawk, driven by me! The Mahindra Scorpio-dscn9459optimized.jpg