Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 01:01   #1606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi AK, No Admiral doesn't have cruise control. Even in the new Fortuner 2012 cruiser control is only available on the 4X2 AT variant.

Incidentally noticed the change of your avatar. Are you a fly boy and/or a fan of Manfred von Richthofen ?
Hail General,

I saw this and thought, why is toyota doing such a cheap work for such a good vehicle? look deeply, only wingmirror repeaters are blinking and not on the headlights!

Toyota - New Fortuner

And also, that only the new AT has a cruise control feature. how hard can it be to have a feature in manual ones too? or does toyota thinks, the ones who buy a manual are illerate country brutes who doesnt know anything about technology? How much of a cost cutting will it bring for them by not including a cruise control.

One additional info, I saw in that accessories site that they have a heads up display device to be launched shortly. Any thoughts of upgrading the General to Glass cockpit with HuD and Helmet mounted target sighting systems? Would be cool and better than some cosmetic upgrades.

OT: Fan of Manfred Richthofen - "The Red Baron" and fly boy.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 2nd July 2012 at 01:10.
Old 2nd July 2012, 06:21   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
1. Any thoughts of upgrading the General to Glass cockpit with HuD and Helmet mounted target sighting systems? Would be cool and better than some cosmetic upgrades.

2. OT: Fan of Manfred Richthofen - "The Red Baron" and fly boy.
Hi AK,
1. No. There was a discussion on this accessory in the Old Vs New Fortuner thread and I was rather expressive about my reasons for not going in for one. I felt it would seriously distract me from the happenings on the road. To a certain extent the Navigator too distracts me (even after so many days of usage) at times.

2. Good to know that !

Last edited by Guderian : 2nd July 2012 at 06:22.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:13   #1608
BHPian

Hail HG !

Please let me know the frequency you follow for greasing. After a drive in showers yesterday I am feeling a kind of jerk while shifting gears. This was there is Safari as well and used to vanish once it was greased.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:50   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Please let me know the frequency you follow for greasing. After a drive in showers yesterday I am feeling a kind of jerk while shifting gears. This was there is Safari as well and used to vanish once it was greased.
Hi Ahmed,
The greasing that needs to be done is of the two propeller shafts - fore and aft. Done through the 6 greasing nipples located on the two prop shafts.
Normally done once every 10K KMs - at 10/20/30/40K etc servicing.
Or if the vehicle was submerged, whereby the shafts were totally underwater - like when heavy off roading or driving through flooded streets - then within 24 hours of the submergence.
Going by what you have described I don't think there is any issue with greasing - it could be just that the vehicle is brand new and the gear box/propeller shafts etc are all settling down.
Give it time and then you'll find all the components finding their groove and churning out smooth output/s.

Last edited by Guderian : 2nd July 2012 at 12:55.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:49   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Weekend Capers.

With Admiral around appears no weekend can be spent in quite and wistful contemplation of the days gone by or nodding off under a tree with a book.

Friday saw a minor off roading action when I had to go to a rough part of Thane. Since I was there and there was a bit of a rough track interspersed with a few humps and troughs decided to run Admiral through them. Spent about 45 minutes going up and down and about. Unfortunately couldn't take snaps of Admiral when in action as there was no one else to take snaps. So it was after the action subsided that I could use the camera. No great shakes for the Admiral but a distraction from the normal for us.

Not very rough or tough:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00587.jpg

But a nice spot. Green. With tiny obstructions to be clambered upon.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00591002.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00592.jpg

Tyres did well - though there was nothing much for them to do. Light mud no deep squelchy stuff.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00594.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00595.jpg

Meanwhile - a host of amused onlookers:
Name:  DSC00602.JPG
Views: 952
Size:  191.9 KB

Cool - no sweat:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00604.jpg

Admiral's attempt to trim the grass:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00613.jpg

The onlookers - all pigeons at a confrence - I dared them to dive bomb. But then they were on their best behaviour. They gently dropped a peace offering.
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00622.jpg

Which soon drifted away:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00623.jpg

And all was well:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00615.jpg

Though the trail was not too hard and there was no need to even engage the HL mode - I did so just to check if everything was OK and it was. Lights came on and a distinct difference was felt in the power. Did a couple of humps with water patches - much to Admiral's amusement and then went back to standard station.

A question for my other Fortuner bretheren - Columbus, Nilanjan, Manuuj, dkaile, Monaro et al: Do you folks regularly limber up your 4x4 TC ? I have yet to engage the LL even once. Is it required to do so periodically ? In part time 4x4s it is generally adviced to regularly engage it to keep it fit. But I have not bothered to do it on Admiral on the assumption is that it is a permanent AWD and so there is no real requirement to do so. There is nothing in the manual that suggests it either. Your inputs please !
And anyone else who can share some information on this.

Saturday saw a visit to my alma mater for a workshop.
Admiral in sylvian sorroundings.
(These kind of shots of Admiral never fail to give me the goosebumps !)
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00632.jpg

And the Sunday routine.
Previous week saw the re-emergence of a familiar drumming sound from deep within. First wasn't very sure. And then the penny dropped. The familiar seat drumming !

And the previous DiY efforts were found tattered. Lasted for a year which was a good enough time for the tape to hold on under severe duress.
Rearmost seats:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00635.jpg

And out came the now familiar weapons:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00638.jpg

All done at the back:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00639.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00640.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00641.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00642.jpg

For good measure silenced the center seats moorings too - in case they decided at some point of time that they too had musical talents among them:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00643.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00649.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00650.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00658.jpg
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00660.jpg
All seats set now.

The cavernous interiors always brings a smile on my face and raises the now familiar itch for a long drive:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00663.jpg

All set to go anywhere:
Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...-dsc00664.jpg

Aloha !

Last edited by Guderian : 3rd July 2012 at 10:12.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:03   #1611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A question for my other Fortuner bretheren - Columbus, Nilanjan, Manuuj, dkaile, Monaro et al: Do you folks regularly limber up your 4x4 TC ? I have yet to engage the LL even once. Is it required to do so periodically ? In part time 4x4s it is generally adviced to regularly engage it to keep it fit. But I have not bothered to do it on Admiral on the assumption is that it is a permanent AWD and so there is no real requirement to do so. There is nothing in the manual that suggests it either. Your inputs please !
(Sheepishly) I have yet to engage the LL or HL even once. It's stuck on H since the time I have bought it and the Falcon has covered upto Rohtang Pass. These modes can only be utilised in hard core off-roading which (sadly) I have to still encounter. It's fulfilling its purpose as an able highway cruiser with bulletproof reliability in cocooned safety.

I do not think it is essential to engage these modes for proper running of the gearbox otherwise it would have been mentioned in the manual.
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:18   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
A question for my other Fortuner bretheren - Columbus, Nilanjan, Manuuj, dkaile, Monaro et al: Do you folks regularly limber up your 4x4 TC ? I have yet to engage the LL even once. Is it required to do so periodically ? In part time 4x4s it is generally adviced to regularly engage it to keep it fit.
Aloha !
I engage LL atleast once a week. Even if there is no offroading involved i engage it and drive it completely straight for about 10-20 meters. Turning the car with diffs locked can warp the 'drivetrain if there is too much traction on the wheels. Driving in a straight line is okay.

I feel all systems must be put to use periodically so that there are no nasty surprises when the time for their use actually comes up.
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:32   #1613
BHPian

Hi HG,

I do occasionally engage HL mode on the truck. At places such as, visiting our farmhouse (where roads are washed away), steep inclines on rough roads, slippery surfaces etc.

LL mode is strictly to be used for rough/hard/very slippery terrain and one has to be very careful of the enormous torque generated at the gear box and safeguard the clutch from burning away.
Do note that the car should never be driven at speeds above 10-15 Kmph in the LL mode. Driving in the HL & LL modes should not be fancied for a change of driving style, or the way the car feels/drives.

There are a few tips on how to start off and how to accelrate the car in this mode, which I would share with you whenever we meet next.
I have engaged LL a few times. The first time was at the Fortuner Boot Camp.

Hope this helps..

And regarding the periodic engaging of the L modes, I kind-of agree with Manuuj. But once in a week is being too optimistic. I'd rather do this once in a month. But I guess, it all depends on your usage.
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:58   #1614
BHPian

Quote:

In my case the 4x4 HL and LL modes were used extensively in ladakh and also mildly in Gujarat. Its a good practice followed by Manuuj to engage and disengage once a week. I do it in about in a month. However i do not drive on straight road in HL or LL mode. Just engage and disengage.

For more info about Fortuner's central diff. please refer this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...sd-suvs-7.html

It is very correct that Fortuner does not has rear LSD. And can confirm this with first hand experience of getting stuck with front left and rear right wheel in air. So do keep this in mind when offroading.
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:27   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Engage 4HL or 4LL once every couple of months. Actually, seldom have need for 4HL - usually have to shift to LL to regulate speed while coming down.
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:15   #1616
BHPian

Harish, lets go to Tungareshwar we have unfinshed business, you can give your 4x4 a workout.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd July 2012 at 23:32. Reason: corredted typo :)
Old 3rd July 2012, 22:36   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus

In my case the 4x4 HL and LL modes were used extensively in ladakh and also mildly in Gujarat. Its a good practice followed by Manuuj to engage and disengage once a week. I do it in about in a month. However i do not drive on straight road in HL or LL mode. Just engage and disengage.
Well sir since this is a stick shift and not an electrically driven one like the Scorpio just engaging and disengaging all modes while stationary is quite pointless.
Too keep your gears nice and smooth a straight drive is highly advisable.
Old 4th July 2012, 11:10   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
(Sheepishly) I have yet to engage the LL or HL even once.
Hi dkaile, Same is the condition here as described. And the you point about the manual is right - but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
I engage LL atleast once a week.
Thanks you Manuuj. Clarifies many things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
I do occasionally engage HL mode on the truck.
I have engaged LL a few times.
Thanks Monaro - it certainly helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
In my case the 4x4 HL and LL modes were used extensively in ladakh and also mildly in Gujarat.
Thanks Columbus. Would make sense to drive it for a few yards too to keep it in fine fettle I guess as mentioned by Off Roadie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultomahawk View Post
Harish, lets go to Tungareshwar we have unfinshed business, you can give your 4x4 a workout.
Hi Rahul, Been sometime eh ? Love to meet up and drive off. Lovely weather too - oh yes we do have some unfinished business at T for the two vehicles. Let's complete it. Will call you in a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
Too keep your gears nice and smooth a straight drive is highly advisable.
Thanks Off Roadie. It certainly makes sense.

And finally and after keeping all points in mind my conclusion is that:

1. Search for a good rough neighbourhood with all kinds of undulations. And I know plenty of them round these parts.
2. Once a month amble across to that part of the world. Drive around on HL for some time. And select a good spot for LL, engage LL and drive in a straight line (if the place is flat) or normally if there are enough undulations and slush etc which can release the torsion wind up stress.
3. Have fun and get back.

So another item added to one Sunday in month ? Sounds good !
Old 4th July 2012, 12:37   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Previous week saw the re-emergence of a familiar drumming sound from deep within. First wasn't very sure. And then the penny dropped. The familiar seat drumming !
And the previous DiY efforts were found tattered. Lasted for a year which was a good enough time for the tape to hold on under severe duress.
What kind of tape do you use? Any specifics in terms of brand/ type?
Old 4th July 2012, 13:44   #1620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
What kind of tape do you use? Any specifics in terms of brand/ type?
Hi sukiwa, I use what is called a 'Duct' or 'Duck' tape. A tape that has cloth backing and is tougher.

Duct tape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No particular brand. Go to any hardware shop and ask for duct tape - two varieties Chinese and Indian - Indian being a little costlier. If you don't get that - the humble SteelGrip too is just fine - but the frequency of having to re-tape the mooring or any surface used would be higher.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks