Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2011, 18:32   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW 750li Vs Range Rover Vogue

Is the facelifted XF-R now available in India? How much do these go for ex-showroom? I wouldn't mind considering that.
Old 7th November 2011, 18:36   #17
BHPian

The Range Rover is what I too would want to suggest.

But as the norm goes I will add some spice to your though process, why don't you take a look at the BMW 6 Series Coupé something fun to drive and I'm sure you will enjoy the ride.
Old 7th November 2011, 18:47   #18
Team-BHP Support

I've got a suggestion. Actually, three! I've been dreaming about these cars off late. Might want to consider them? They seem to suit your bill to the tee, I suppose.

The Mercedes G55 AMG:

BMW 750li Vs Range Rover Vogue-mercedesbenzg55_amg_2009_1280x960_wallpaper_07.jpg

- Large (check)

- Luxurious (check)

- Fun (hell yeah - check!)

Then of course, there is the E63 AMG:

BMW 750li Vs Range Rover Vogue-mercedesbenze63_amg_2010_1280x960_wallpaper_01.jpg

- Large (check)

- Luxurious (check)

- Fun (CHECK!)

And since you say that the 'S' is more of a gentleman's car (I completely agree, by the way) you could try the edgy and stylish Mercedes CLS:

BMW 750li Vs Range Rover Vogue-mercedesbenzcls63amg201114.jpg

It's exactly what you need. A large comfortable car that's predominantly self-driven, with a youthful twist, powerful, stately, gorgeous and the kitchen sink (optional extra)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
Is the facelifted XF-R now available in India? How much do these go for ex-showroom? I wouldn't mind considering that.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...er-2011-a.html

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th November 2011 at 18:50.
Old 7th November 2011, 18:56   #19
BHPian

Call me crazy but the G Wagon doesn't quite cut it for me. I'm not into off-roading, and for the price the interiors look aged. The CLS on the other hand is a good choice, I hear they're pricing them cheaper than the previous gen? That is certainly an incentive to look at it.

The current options in order are like this.

1) 750Li
2) Vogue
3) CLS
4) XFR

This is very interesting. From a driving perspective, I'm sure the last two would fit the bill better, but from a luxury/interior point of view I'm assuming the first two. I know all these cars are in different segments, but my requirements are pretty elastic, which is making the choice wider and harder. Ooof..
Old 7th November 2011, 19:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The new facelifted XF has reached India and the launch is in December (Thread). So the XF-R won't be far behind, maybe by Jan.

The best driver's (not looker's) luxury sedan is the Panamera but sadly I don't think that will bring home any beauty pageants trophies.

Brain says - Facelifted XF-R, F10 M5 etc.

Heart says - Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT S MC Sport Line. Sorry to add to your confusion. Just couldn't help
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 750li Vs Range Rover Vogue-maseratiquattroporte_sport_gt_s_mc_sport_line_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_01.jpg  

Last edited by Scorcher : 7th November 2011 at 19:05.
Old 7th November 2011, 19:20   #21
BHPian

The Maser is due for replacement though from what I hear, and I doubt it will fit the budget. The Panamera, I know won't fit the budget, its somewhere around 1.5cr otr Mumbai, I think.
Old 7th November 2011, 19:24   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post

Heart says - Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT S MC Sport Line. Sorry to add to your confusion. Just couldn't help
The Quattroporte is due to be phased out, innit? Maserati is working on an all new replacement for the Quattroporte. Also, the Q'porte is quite expensive and is well over 1.5 crores. Doesn't really fall in Saarth's budget. These are the sole two reasons why I did not suggest it. But seriously, what a car! Especially when it's dressed up in that MC Sport-Line package.
Old 7th November 2011, 19:33   #23
BHPian

I would go with what Suhaas and Schorcher have said, The XF-R, the faced lifted one. Why don't you test drive both the XF-R and Range Rover vogue.
Old 7th November 2011, 20:23   #24
Team-BHP Support

Nice thread. Since you are going to self drive it everyday, as tempting as the 7 seems, leave it out. You have one big car in the house and either way the 7 will irritate you in our Bombay traffic.

Then again you like SUVs. They are easier to drive in traffic, and other cars give you more respect.

BUTTT there are some sporty cars which can be quite practical. You won't have to be very careful over Mumbai roads and they will not scrape anywhere.

Here are my suggestions -
Range Rover Sport Supercharged - Petrol doesn't seem to be a problem and this car fits in your budget. Yes the Vogue does look and is much bigger from inside (the Sport is hardly bigger than a CRV inside) but the 4.4tdv8 cannot match the 5.0 V8 supercharged.

Range Rover Vogue - This is probably going to be the most practical car. The ride comfort will be brilliant and the running cost wont be too much since its a diesel. It will also be quick enough for Bombay but your S500 will smoke it. The refreshed model has the Jag style gear selector and an 8 speed box, look out for that.

Porsche Cayenne S - The Cayenne S will fit into your budget, not the Turbo. Its going to be the best SUV to drive out of the lot and will still be practical with the ground clearance. Also this has a much younger image than the Vogue. Though with the wrong rims and choice of colour it doesn't really stand out, I guess that goes for all of these cars.

Jaguar XFR - The new one should be launched soon and if you book it soon you will get delivery early next year I'm sure. The same stonking supercharged v8 and a smaller size than the 7. Also as practical as a normal sedan.

E63 AMG - I'm not sure if this fits in your budget, but its a beast. Its like a muscle car with good handling. This car is Gangsta in Black with black rims.

BMW 640d/650i - A practical convertible. Thats what the 6 is, you get to choose between a 300 bhp diesel or a 400bhp petrol. Enough of clearance and a good ride and of course an open roof when you want. With the 640d you will have some spare change, get a Superb V6
Old 7th November 2011, 21:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The facelifted XF is/was on display at the JLR dealership in Worli, you should speak to them and go check it out. The bookings are on for the facelift model and the launch is sometime next month. The base XFR ex-showroom Mumbai 73-74, it 'might' go 76-77 for the face-lifted model.

Keep in mind that only a handful of people can tell an R from an XF or XFS. It also doesn't have the kind of road presence like the RR's, CLS, 6.

All the cars we have mentioned - Sport, Cayenne, XFR, AMG's, 6, CLS, etc are better cars to drive than the 7 & Vogue. I'd feel like a chauffeur driving those 2 but if I have to pick, its the BMW 7.
Old 7th November 2011, 23:11   #26
BHPian

I'm not too keen on the E63, I mean I can see the appeal but the very abundance of the E-Class is putting me off.

The JLR showroom said the XFR should be launched in 1-3 months after the XF, and deliveries would begin 3-4 months after that! That's a long time to wait. They are also going to get back to me about their stock-list on the Vogue and if they have anything I'd like. Like I said before the RR Sport is out of the consideration, purely because I like the Vogue more.

As far as the Cayenne is concerned, delivery times are a good 6+ months, plus with the stories I've heard about their after-sales is making it very unattractive, top that up with the fact that I'm not too fond of the look. And the 650i/640d too is out because I don't really want a two-door convertible/coupe.

From the look of things I'm leaning more toward the 7 series. Agreed it may not be the best to drive, but its multi-purpose and serves everything I need it for, followed closely by the RR Vogue. How do the the different models of the 7 (730Ld/740Li/750Li) stack up against each other in terms of features, engines, economy, etc.? The reason I ask is because I want to know whether its worth picking the 750Li over the 730Ld/740Li.

Lingering in a far third place is the CLS, but from what I hear the back seat isn't as comfortable as other Mercs (As often my parents accompany me on my trips to Lonavala/Pune). So what I'm saying is my finalists are:

1) 750Li (Or 730Ld/740Li)
2) RR Vogue 4.4l TDV8

-

3) CLS350 (I need more convincing in other departments other than better to drive).
Old 7th November 2011, 23:35   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

From the look of things I'm leaning more toward the 7 series. Agreed it may not be the best to drive, but its multi-purpose and serves everything I need it for, followed closely by the RR Vogue. How do the the different models of the 7 (730Ld/740Li/750Li) stack up against each other in terms of features, engines, economy, etc.? The reason I ask is because I want to know whether its worth picking the 750Li over the 730Ld/740Li.

Lingering in a far third place is the CLS, but from what I hear the back seat isn't as comfortable as other Mercs (As often my parents accompany me on my trips to Lonavala/Pune). So what I'm saying is my finalists are:

1) 750Li (Or 730Ld/740Li)
2) RR Vogue 4.4l TDV8

-

3) CLS350 (I need more convincing in other departments other than better to drive).
Then the 7 it is!

I'll tell you something dude. Follow your heart. As simple as that. When you put 1 crore on the desk, you better get what you want and what you desire!

Anyway, getting back to the 7. It's a wonderful car and a great alternative to the S and the A8. By the way, have you considered the A8? The new A8 is a great car too and comes with a lot of kit.

So the 750Li is powered by an 8 cylinder engine that propels the car to 100 from 0 in under 6 seconds. The 740Li's 6-pot mill on the other hand does the same in a little over 6 seconds. The 740Li wears smaller 18" wheels were as the 750Li wears larger 19" wheels. You should get more kit as standard in the 750 over the 740. The 730Ld is, IMO, the best buy. At the end of the day, it has good power and torque, and will be more frugal than the petrol options. For a diesel mill, it's very refined. You really don't need the petrol, unless you're a die hard petrol-head who doesn't settle for anything else other than that.

I'd say, pick up the 730Ld and kit it up to the brim. You get a fabulous entertainment package for the rear passengers, complete with DVD players, LCD screens and wireless this and bluetooth that. You will not feel shortchanged that's for sure!

As far as the CLS is concerned, it's a really really good car. It's for those who want the comfort and luxury of the S, but don't want a chauffeur driving it around. It's for those who prefer driving. It's basically a mish-mash of the E and the S. The CLS is a great drivers' car. It comes with a lot of kit too.

What the CLS doesn't score on is the rear passenger room. The swooping roof doesn't allow for much head-room at the back and one might tend to feel a little claustrophobic. But it's a fairly large car with lots of legroom, so unless you're a basket-ball player, I don't think you should have space issues in the back seat. Basically, it feels like a snug S-Class.

If I were you, I'd take the CLS. No. Actually, I'd take the Porsche 911. You get the drift, right?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th November 2011 at 23:37.
Old 8th November 2011, 00:18   #28
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread. I would love to be caught in this confusion!

Agree with most of the guys about the Range Rover being the most practical of the lot. But are you allergic to Audi for some reason since you haven't mentioned any audi's yet? I feel you should seriously consider the A8 swb 4.2tdi. Its not yet officially launched but i've spotted it testing in Mumbai since past many weeks. Audi offers the best interiors in its class.
You might want to check with the Audi dealer regarding this.

Refer to this post in another thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2493874
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 09:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Some really attractive options have been suggested above in various posts. I told you to go for the 7 over the vogue simply presuming you would not settle for anything other than the 2 you have mentioned.
I have 1 question though - If you have the CLS in mind as a distant third option, why havnt you given the A7 a thought ? To my eyes it looks a lot better than the CLS, the 2 should be on par in the gadgets department (a7 has the scribble pad, LAN hot spots yada yada ) and both sport 3 litre diesel mills. The CLS diesel is in a higher state of tune but the CLS is also a lot heavier. The Audi will also offer Quattro all wheel drive system.
The A7 also has a supercharged 3 litre petrol unit putting out 300bhp/440nm and good for a 5.4 second dash to the ton with premium petrol.My my..... what an engine!!
Of course all this hardly matters if you do not like Audis.

Out of the 7s -

1) 730ld - in-line 6/ 245ps /540nm 0 to 100 - 7.3 seconds Standard diesel required

2) 740li - in-line 6/ 326ps / 450nm 0 to 100 - 6.1 seconds* PREMIUM PETROL required for this performance

3) 750li - 4.4 litre v8/ 407ps / 600nm 0 to 100 - 5.3 seconds* PREMIUM PETROL required for this performance

While the 730ld will offer good efficiency , lets not even get into the efficiency figures of the other 2. Your trips to the fuel pumps will be far apart comparatively with a diesel mill.
The 730d CAN be loaded to the gills with every option BMW offers and a wide range of alloys are available as options with every variant of the 7.
Take a call.
Good Luck.
Old 8th November 2011, 10:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Dont forget to check out the A8 L 4.2 V8 TDI, coming soon.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks