Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 17:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes ML350 or Audi Q5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
If you can spend 70L and service and peace of mind are your concerns, I guess you could look at the Prado also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
If you ask me, the logical upgrade would be the PRADO
IMO the PRADO shouldnt be considered for him (As replacing the Fortuner) as its having the same 3.0L D4-D Engine also in the Fortuner but tuned for slightly more torque.

So there wont be any upgrade as such

Last edited by karan561 : 8th November 2012 at 17:51.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 19:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unless you buy Japanese (e.g. Prado, Montero etc.), none of the SUVs from this price range are going to be anywhere as reliable & trouble-free to own as your Fortuner. Depressing yes, but that's the truth.

Reliability aside, my pick would be the Porsche Cayenne Diesel. Punchy diesel, great cabin, fun to drive and after-sales handled by VW officially. There's always something special about owning a Porsche, even if it's an SUV.
I agree, the Porsche Cayenne Diesel would be the best option. I have driven all the cars mentioned apart from the new ML, but I have driven the old one. However, the Cayenne Diesel starts at 69.5L ex-showroom and this kit offers nearly the bare minimum of all the options available, and even the most basic options will take this price beyond 75L very easily.
Saarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 19:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

The ML should be your choice, the Q5 has hardly any presence, the Merc is longer and taller, space shouldn't be a problem. The Q5 is wider, but, both vehicles are nearly 2m wide.

No idea of service, both have horror stories, ML has a whole thread dedicated to it on this forum. This upgrade means you give up your peace of mind for brand image. I doubt either one would be completely unusable, they are popular so their reliability must be ok.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 23:16   #19
BHPian

I'd suggest you to get the ML350... IMO, its a better option than the Q5 in all aspects. Also the ML is a segment higher and has much more road presence than the Q. As Saarth mentioned, the Porsche Cayenne is another good option however the delicious options they have and high taxes in Bangalore will take the OTR price around 1cr if I'm not wrong... All the best!!
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 18:36   #20
rbp
BHPian

@bhpians :- Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback.

Today we test drove the ML350, the following come to my mind, every time I recall the test

Positives :-

1) Refinement:- wow, I could not believe that it was a diesel, you can barely here a hum at idle, floor it and you wont believe that it is a diesel. One of my bro's business partner got into the car and asked how do I start the vehicle, little did he realize that the beast was already on , he drives a BMW X1.

2) Features :- Loaded with features, park assist system was one that I loved. We tried it three times and it was fun seeing it in action.

3) Power :- Once you floor her, you get pushed back in the seat, the feeling is nice.

4) Space :- The space at the back is huge, you can stretch your legs at the back, the Q5 has very less space at the back.

5) Mile Muncher :- This thing is seriously quick and can cover huge distances quickly.

6) Brakes :- Extremely sharp and very confidence inspiring unlike my bro's fortuner.

Negatives :-

1) Ride quality :- I expected the ride quality to be on the plush side, but it was stiff, this was in the comfort mode.

2) Rear Seats :- Could have been better, they were a little hard too. The middle seat at the rear is a strict not a place to be, though better than the fortuner.

3) Sun roof :- A very small one when compared to the ones in Audi.

GTO :- The porsche will be very expensive and go beyond our budget.

All :- Thanks again for your participation, I will keep you guys updated on the final decision.

Note :- I must mention the sales representative guy "Santosh Kumar" who had brought the car for the test drive, very knowledgeable with plenty of patience, well mannered and spent close to three hours with us. We did not have the same exp at Audi and BMW. It is finally such small things that tilt the scales in their favour.

Last edited by rbp : 10th November 2012 at 18:39.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 03:42   #21
BHPian

The ML over the Q5 anyday, its actually from a segment above, has a much greater stance and presence, the new car looks fabulous. The '3-pointed-star' commands more respect than the '4-rings', IMO. Mercedes is serious about making a comeback, it could be safe to assume they wouldn't toss around an M-Class customer over service issues and other niggles in the car. On the basis of that assumption, you'd be fine in the servicing front as well.

Would seriously suggest the ML250 CDI, simply for the value for money proposition. Yes you'd have to live with 2 lesser cylinders and a deficit of 50bhp and around 12.2kgm of torque, but just think about this, as the ML250 is CKD its priced a whopping 10.4lakhs cheaper than the 350. CKD invites a lower tax slab as well making you save more on registeration. I reckon even the level of kit is the same. The twin-turbo 2.2L is no slouch either, I think in terms of performance would be adequate.

Think about it, take a test-drive if you can.

Regards,
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 08:04   #22
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
The ML over the Q5 anyday, its actually from a segment above, has a much greater stance and presence, the new car looks fabulous. The '3-pointed-star' commands more respect than the '4-rings', IMO. Mercedes is serious about making a comeback, it could be safe to assume they wouldn't toss around an M-Class customer over service issues and other niggles in the car. On the basis of that assumption, you'd be fine in the servicing front as well.

Would seriously suggest the ML250 CDI, simply for the value for money proposition. Yes you'd have to live with 2 lesser cylinders and a deficit of 50bhp and around 12.2kgm of torque, but just think about this, as the ML250 is CKD its priced a whopping 10.4lakhs cheaper than the 350. CKD invites a lower tax slab as well making you save more on registeration. I reckon even the level of kit is the same. The twin-turbo 2.2L is no slouch either, I think in terms of performance would be adequate.

Think about it, take a test-drive if you can.

Regards,
Unfortunately there are no test drive vehicles for the ML250. For the ML350 we will have to wait till April after booking.
Old 13th November 2012, 11:46   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
but just think about this, as the ML250 is CKD its priced a whopping 10.4lakhs cheaper than the 350. CKD invites a lower tax slab as well making you save more on registeration.
Bro even the 350 is CKD, only the first batch of cars were CBU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
I was told that the 350 is CBU from US, hence the long waiting periods, where as the 250 comes in kits assembled locally hence less waiting time.
I'm reasonably sure the 350 is also CKD now, which is how Merc managed to keep the great pricing. Even if it were CBU why from the US?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 13th November 2012 at 12:05.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 11:56   #24
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Bro even the 350 is CKD, only the first batch of cars were CBU.
I was told that the 350 is CBU from US, hence the long waiting periods, where as the 250 comes in kits assembled locally hence less waiting time.
Old 13th November 2012, 12:51   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

I'm reasonably sure the 350 is also CKD now, which is how Merc managed to keep the great pricing. Even if it were CBU why from the US?
The First Lot was CBU from USA.

The SUV's are the first cars from Mercedes that were built outside of Germany. America is the Manufacturing base for all the Merc SUV's.

When they started off, with the first gen M-class. Most people were critical about the Merc Quality when manufactured in the US

Last edited by agambhandari : 13th November 2012 at 12:53.
Old 13th November 2012, 16:29   #26
BHPian

Few months back we test drove Ml350 (older shape) and audi q5 for my cousin (although, he ended up buying q7) and my impressions are as follows:
q5: fast, very refined, compact enough for city driving, good as chauffeur driven if you are not tall (say 5.10+), really good as a self driven.
ml: good as a chauffeur driven, plusher interiors, refined, but, not good as self driven, feels a bit claustrophobic at the back seat too. haven't driven the new Ml.

My choices at these price points will be:
1. X3 30d: great as self driven, bmw maintenance package, good refinement, better ride than q5, looks great in black/white.
2. Montero: Perfect upgrade to a fortuner if fast driving is not the priority but reliability and lower maintenance costs are. Has really good ride and handling, but,is not fast or refined as the other options. Not to forget it is supreme off road.

Ml is not worth the extra 15-20L in my opinion.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 13th November 2012 at 16:33.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 16:37   #27
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Ml is not worth the extra 15-20L in my opinion.
Over the Audi Q5 or the ML250? I believe you meant the Audi. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 13th November 2012, 16:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Over the Audi Q5 or the ML250? I believe you meant the Audi. Thanks for your suggestion.
Over the q5, x3, montero, i meant. I dont know about the current pricing of Ml 250.
Old 13th November 2012, 16:51   #29
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Over the q5, x3, montero, i meant. I dont know about the current pricing of Ml 250.
The appoximate prices OTR BLR

1) ML250 :- around 60 Lakhs.
2) ML350 :- around 73 Lakhs.
3) Q5 :- Around 63 Lakhs.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 17:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The appoximate prices OTR BLR

1) ML250 :- around 60 Lakhs.
2) ML350 :- around 73 Lakhs.
3) Q5 :- Around 63 Lakhs.
Thnx for the info. I didnt know that prices for q5 have gone so much higher .
We were given quotes in feb-march as follows (all the values OTR pune):
q5 2.0 tdi: 48-49L with panoramic sunroof.
q5 3.0 tdi: 56L with panoramic sunroof.
x3 30d: 55-56L
montero: 52-53L
Old shape ml350: 66-67 for top version with sunroof.
My cousin finally bought Q7 for 72L.

At the current prices,
1. Ml250 makes a lot of sense as a chauffeur driven car (where power and fast driving is not a priority).
2. Audi Q5 should be a definite no.
3. If x3 30d is available below 60L, it should be preferred if the driving pleasure, performance is high on priority and not to forget peace of mind that BSI will bring.
4. Additional 13L for ML350 over ML 250 is not justified if the engine is the only significant upgrade.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks