Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2013, 16:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for a premium daily drive car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
Yeah, I have no use for a diesel, we have an XF, S350cdi and 730Ld, in the family, but the S500 thrills the most with the huge V8, followed by the Jag.

The most practical sounding options to me right now are the 650i and the M5. How I wish there was a V8 CLS. I might look at the SL as well. If none of these, I'd most likely go for the Cayenne S.

Does anyone know when the new E/E-Coupe is going to be launched in India? I saw a new E220 yesterday in London, and it looks pretty awesome!
Unless you are really smitten by the BMW M5, I would definitely suggest you look at its close German competition. The M5 has become too complicated for most purists, I read and see on tv and other media. So, it is just the M5 halo that has kept the car up in sales, otherwise, pure performance and fun wise, the E63 and RS6 have caught up or bettered the M5.
Isn't merc selling the E63 AMG in India with the v8 biturbo? For comparisons sake, is the RS6 available as well? Wouldn't you want to check those out too?
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 17:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Unless you are really smitten by the BMW M5, I would definitely suggest you look at its close German competition. The M5 has become too complicated for most purists, I read and see on tv and other media. So, it is just the M5 halo that has kept the car up in sales, otherwise, pure performance and fun wise, the E63 and RS6 have caught up or bettered the M5.
Isn't merc selling the E63 AMG in India with the v8 biturbo? For comparisons sake, is the RS6 available as well? Wouldn't you want to check those out too?
The E63 should be replaced with the face lifted one in the near future, and the the RS 6 is available only in the Avant variant (estate version) which I'm really not fond of.
Old 10th April 2013, 17:23   #18
BHPian

The new E class is expected in india in September. But I doubt the AMG versions will be launched immediately. Usually they're launched 4-6 months are the base car has been launched.

Since you like huge petrol engines and you already seem to own (or have owned) almost every brand south of 1.3 cr maybe you should see Bentley continental GT as an option ?
Old 10th April 2013, 17:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The E63 should be replaced with the face lifted one in the near future, and the the RS 6 is available only in the Avant variant (estate version) which I'm really not fond of.
If it is this E63 that we are talking about after the facelift - It might be well worth the wait. It is faster, has a better exhaust note and is a lot of fun - from the video at least. Do you know when will Merc bring the updated version? I would think since it is CBU, it should come soon.
Old 10th April 2013, 17:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I know its launched globally, but any idea when it will make it to our shores?

I read above that you liked the boxster. But you drove it in London and i did it in Mumbai. Its surprisingly easy to drive it even in Mumbai. Not a sweat.
If you liked the boxster then i re-emphasize that you must wait for the cayman S. Its supposed to be an even better handler, SUPER fun and quick too ! flat-6 , rwd, hydraulic power steering (i could be mistaken , get this verified) , relatively light weight , PDK and well above 300hp give it a 4.7 to 100 which is sufficient 9/10 times. Besides itl be a better handler than most or all the cars discussed here so far.
Trust me im no Porsche fanboy and still i say what i do.
About the launch it should be sometime this year but if you want the specific month i could findout from the Porsche Centre Mumbai chief himself.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 10th April 2013 at 17:39.
Old 10th April 2013, 18:30   #21
BHPian

Bro, no mood for Audi RS 5 ? a coupe around with 330 kw power V8 with 0 - 100 in 4.6 s ! Mouth watering figures for me. could be a stunning piece in red !
Old 10th April 2013, 20:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
If you liked the boxster then i re-emphasize that you must wait for the cayman S. Its supposed to be an even better handler, SUPER fun and quick too !
The Cayman is one of the most balanced chassis on sale in the world. Porsche deliberately under powers it so that the 911 still has takers. However, to really enjoy the fun in a Cayman, you ought to go to a track or have some curvy ghat roads for your individual fun. For driving around in the city and just random bursts of speed, some ridiculously powerful super sedan is the best option, something that can go 0-100 in 4 seconds and embarrass the living daylights out of sports car racer wannabes. I think it's a matter of personal choice, would you need a fun driver (whose fun you will never use) or a brute force car (whose power potential will only be realized in small accelerations between traffic lights). I would pick a super sedan if my drive is purely only in the city. If I have option to go enjoy at a track often, I will pick the Cayman S.
Old 10th April 2013, 21:20   #23
BHPian

There is a red Ferrari F430 (apparently the ex-Sanjay Dutt car) and a red 360 Spider for sale in Pune. Anyone have any info on either of these cars?
Saarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 21:57   #24
BHPian

A wise man once told me:
"When in doubt, buy a Porsche. "

A Boxster. Its a great car, and fun to drive even at relatively slow speeds. The acoustics are insane, and driving with the tip down even in India is a realistic option, unlike in other convertibles that don't keep out exterior noise (obviously not in a stationary car, but when you're moving, a boxster is surprisingly quiet.

unfortunately, jags are quite common now. And I don't think that the S class gives you anything close to the additional premium that they make you pay over the E class. I'm not a fan of 6 series either. I find that if you're going to be dropping that kind of dough, you should get something that you'll LOVE. I promise you that out of all the cars in your consideration set, the one that you'll feel the most love for will be the boxster. If we had better roads and highways I would have said 911. But we don't. And a Boxster is good enough.

Good luck, and hope you buy a car that really excites you.
Old 10th April 2013, 22:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
There is a red Ferrari F430 (apparently the ex-Sanjay Dutt car) and a red 360 Spider for sale in Pune. Anyone have any info on either of these cars?
Yes. I own the Red F430, the Ex-Sanjay Dutt Car, which I am Selling, and, the 360 Spider, is with a Used Car Dealer in Pune. If you're Interested in the F430, Send me a PM, also, I was going to Buy the 360 Spider, so, I might be able to help you about that, so you could also contact me about that, by PM.

Regards,
sanojrawap...
Old 10th April 2013, 22:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanojrawap View Post
Yes. I own the Red F430, the Ex-Sanjay Dutt Car, which I am Selling, and, the 360 Spider, is with a Used Car Dealer in Pune. If you're Interested in the F430, Send me a PM, also, I was going to Buy the 360 Spider, so, I might be able to help you about that, so you could also contact me about that, by PM.

Regards,
sanojrawap...
PM'ed you.

I also learned that Maserati, does have a dealer in India.
Old 11th April 2013, 11:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:

PM'ed you.

I also learned that Maserati, does have a dealer in India.
If that's case , don't think you should be looking at other options
Old 11th April 2013, 21:40   #28
BHPian

I have narrowed down my search to two choice, that are completely different from one another.

First if the Porsche Cayenne S. Its a brilliant engine, but the best thing I like about it is being an SUV its got the go anywhere, do anything feel to it with the driving dynamics of a sedan. You really don't feel like you're in an SUV, and this could be a viable option given that it is technically replacing the Range Rover.

Second is the BMW 650i Cabriolet. Its a stunning car, with a stunning engine and amazing dynamics. Its great as a daily drive, but of course being in Mumbai the car will have its limitations.

Mind says Cayenne S, heart says 650i Cabriolet. What do you guys think?
Old 12th April 2013, 12:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mind says Cayenne S, heart says 650i Cabriolet. What do you guys think?
Let me put my two bits since you have zeroed in on the Cayenne. Why dont you look at the Cayenne S Diesel?. Its 300 + bhp with 850 nm torque and does a 0-100 sprint in 5.6 seconds which is very fast and also does have the true go anywhere capability due to its v8 motor being a diesel.
Old 26th April 2013, 03:22   #30
BHPian

Just an update, I have made up my mind to go with the Cayenne. Now it remains to be seen whether I go for the v6 Diesel or the v8 Diesel S, it depends on availability really.
Saarth is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks