Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:20   #76
BHPian

re: Hot Hatch Wanted - 40 Lakh Budget. UPDATE: Mini Cooper S booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Would it not be worth waiting for the red and white option? That's probably the best loved livery for a Mini Cooper isn't it?
Whatever you decide, enjoy!
Now that I have bitten the bullet, I cant imagine waiting for 3 months odd. Also, after a final negotiation - which is 2 lakhs off the final figure, 70K off on insurance and another 70K off after replacing the 17" with standard 16 inch as well as registering the car on my Lonavala address to avoid octroi - I'm just past my 40 lakh budget. I don't want to take chances with currency fluctuations and subsequent price increases.

Quote:
The red-white combination would be mouth watering. Go with the black for now because there's a simple way of getting round it. You could always choose to go the 'wrap' way. It won't cost you a bomb and you could enjoy a white roof when you're bored of the black.
Agree with you all but thank you for putting forth this option - it's exactly what I will do!
msbehave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:57   #77
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

OT:
What dog is that, who is peering at the 370Z in your avatar pic? Looks a bit like a Mudhol Hound or a Tan Whippet...

I think you're right in not procrastinating on your purchase. The travails of the demented dollar are upon us like a pestilence and that is very hard to contend with indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
Now that I have bitten the bullet, I cant imagine waiting for 3 months odd. Also,y 40 lakh budget. I don't want to take chances with currency fluctuations and subsequent price increases.

Agree with you all but thank you for putting forth this option - it's exactly what I will do!
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:36   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You're welcome.

Also, don't forget to wrap the mirror covers. It completes the theme.

Since you've opted for the panoramic sunroof, I'd like to bring to your notice that I'm not a fan of a black sun-roof on a white top. It breaks the monotony and looks out of place IMO. If you're like me, do consider getting a white vinyl and applying it to the sunroof in order to obtain uniformity.

I'd also recommend you spring for a JCW kit down the line. That cracking-fizzing-popping-gargling exhaust note on the overrun is totally worth it.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 18:27   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You're welcome.

Also, don't forget to wrap the mirror covers. It completes the theme.

Since you've opted for the panoramic sunroof, I'd like to bring to your notice that I'm not a fan of a black sun-roof on a white top. It breaks the monotony and looks out of place IMO. If you're like me, do consider getting a white vinyl and applying it to the sunroof in order to obtain uniformity.

I'd also recommend you spring for a JCW kit down the line. That cracking-fizzing-popping-gargling exhaust note on the overrun is totally worth it.
Had thought about the mirrors but forgot about the sunroof!Would look totally incongruent Hmm. how would the white vinyl work?

Now you're just making me feel greedy beyond compare The exhaust note does sound totally worth it. JCW kit would have to be imported right? What sort of duties does that attract? I asked mini india whether they would install custom ICE for me and they said they will install only official MINI stuff on offer already. So, presumably they wouldnt install a JCW kit for me either.

Quote:
OT:
What dog is that, who is peering at the 370Z in your avatar pic? Looks a bit like a Mudhol Hound or a Tan Whippet...
Okay last dog-related item - thats my hound-mix Tequila. Will post some pictures of her in the appropriate thread.
msbehave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 18:48   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I asked mini india whether they would install custom ICE for me and they said they will install only official MINI stuff on offer already. So, presumably they wouldnt install a JCW kit for me either.
For audio, aftermarket is the way to go.

The industry in India is very developed meaning you get a wide choice of original imported equipment at a fair price and the sound can be tailored to your tastes (esp if your the type that enjoys music)....not to mention the installs are very professional. Spend some time looking over the hi-end installs in the ICE section

If you are getting the AT, then I would recommend you stick with the stock exhaust.

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd July 2013 at 19:05.
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:20   #81
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

On cars like the Mini Cooper, will it not void any warranties and things if one goes after market for the ICE setups and other electrical/ electronic gadgetry?
Given that the car itself is positioned in a totally different segment in developing/ aspirational markets like ours, I imagine that they would have some pretty rigid warranty rules would they not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
For audio, aftermarket is the way to go.

The industry in India is very developed meaning you get a wide choice of original imported equipment at a fair price and the sound can be tailored to your tastes (esp if your the type that enjoys music)....not to mention the installs are very professional. Spend some time looking over the hi-end installs in the ICE section

If you are getting the AT, then I would recommend you stick with the stock exhaust.
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:30   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
On cars like the Mini Cooper, will it not void any warranties and things if one goes after market for the ICE setups and other electrical/ electronic gadgetry?
Given that the car itself is positioned in a totally different segment in developing/ aspirational markets like ours, I imagine that they would have some pretty rigid warranty rules would they not?
I think it might be just the opposite. Because they sell so few of the Minis, they are probably less rigid about these things. Navin redid the entire ICE in his brand new 30L Camry

Generally speaking all OEMs will put that out on paper to protect themselves against poor workmanship, but even the dealers know that an install done by a professional should not lead to any problems. If you leave the HU alone and just replace the speakers, its the simplest thing in the world (just plug n play)

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd July 2013 at 19:36.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 23:55   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had thought about the mirrors but forgot about the sunroof!Would look totally incongruent Hmm. how would the white vinyl work?
I remember seeing something like this in NAM forums. A quick internet search might lead you to what you want. Mini accessories are available all over the World and can be shipped too.

Quote:
Now you're just making me feel greedy beyond compare The exhaust note does sound totally worth it. JCW kit would have to be imported right? What sort of duties does that attract? I asked mini india whether they would install custom ICE for me and they said they will install only official MINI stuff on offer already. So, presumably they wouldnt install a JCW kit for me either.
A good idea would be to wait for the warranty period to expire before you begin to modify your car. I'm sure if you talk to higher-ups, you could request them to pull a few strings for you, w/r/t installing the kit. The stock exhaust is great, though.

As for the audio quality, I'd suggest you hold on to the stock Harman Kardon system for now. It may not have sounded great while on the test drive, but once you fiddle with the tuning, you might arrive at a sound that you'd like. If you're still not happy then you can always go aftermarket.

Quote:
AT is the only option. :(

But why should one preferably stick to the stock exhaust for ATs in particular?
Old 24th July 2013, 00:08   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But why should one preferably stick to the stock exhaust for ATs in particular?
All the 4 cyl ATs with free flows that I've heard sounded bad. Esp during an upshift when the engine bogs a little and the note changes. Even launches sound terrible. I know its the same engine but the way it revs and shifts is different.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 00:26   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All the 4 cyl ATs with free flows that I've heard sounded bad. Esp during an upshift when the engine bogs a little and the note changes. Even launches sound terrible. I know its the same engine but the way it revs and shifts is different.
For AT cars, the kit consists of the intake, exhaust muffler and the aggressive map (done at the Mini workshop) manifold NOT included:

Hot Hatch Wanted - 40 Lakh Budget. UPDATE: Mini Cooper S booked!-jcwkit.jpg

Keeping it in S would amplify the fizzes-pops-crackles, but the exhaust wouldn't be loud enough to be intrusive according to reports.

Avoiding the Manifold would mean the exhaust is not exactly free-flow, no?
Old 24th July 2013, 00:33   #86
BHPian

Isn't the JCW kit an official Mini part? Why would it void warranty?
Old 24th July 2013, 01:52   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Good choice on the Mini ! However a one lakh cash discount is too less for a niche car of this sort. Please check what is the MFD on the car, it probably is 2012 that should give you more bargaining power.

Insurance at 50% off is a no brainer, they always do these tricks. Try getting a quote elsewhere and if you are selling your swift then use the NCB to save more. Do also keep a look out on the RTO value mentioned it is always including a healthy margin over and above the actual RTO tax amount which they claim as service fee for Regn. That should ideally be well below 10k.

I always bargain on ex-showroom price and tell them insurance and RTO I will get done on my own.

You might wanna call dealers in other cities like Delhi to see what discounts are being offered.

Last edited by Sahil : 24th July 2013 at 01:54.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 13:28   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Insurance at 50% off is a no brainer, they always do these tricks. Try getting a quote elsewhere and if you are selling your swift then use the NCB to save more. Do also keep a look out on the RTO value mentioned it is always including a healthy margin over and above the actual RTO tax amount which they claim as service fee for Regn. That should ideally be well below 10k.

I always bargain on ex-showroom price and tell them insurance and RTO I will get done on my own..
Just the advice I was looking for! Thanks! I'm currently getting 2L off it though it is a 2012 mini so I have asked for a larger discount. Other than that, they're giving me 50% of on insurance as well as the servicing agreement. The RTO tax and service charges on their pro-forma are 7.4 lakhs so 10K comes as a shock to me! This includes something caled WAP charges. Have no clue what that is!

Also, have asked them for different financing options as well as for a bigger discount since I can pay off the car in two chunks in a month.
How much of a discount can I expect then, any idea?
Old 24th July 2013, 14:01   #89
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the car, definitely a good choice for Bombay. It will keep a relatively low profile and be great fun to drive. Do consider switching out the run flat tyres for normal tubeless ones. The ride quality is sure to improve by a fair margin after that.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 15:37   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Do consider switching out the run flat tyres for normal tubeless ones. The ride quality is sure to improve by a fair margin after that.
Switching to tubeless made a big difference in my BMW. I am sure it will have a significant difference in the Mini too. However you might have to live without a spare wheel hence get a tyre repair kit instead.

Quote:
Just the advice I was looking for! Thanks! I'm currently getting 2L off it though it is a 2012 mini so I have asked for a larger discount. Other than that, they're giving me 50% of on insurance as well as the servicing agreement. The RTO tax and service charges on their pro-forma are 7.4 lakhs so 10K comes as a shock to me! This includes something caled WAP charges. Have no clue what that is!

Also, have asked them for different financing options as well as for a bigger discount since I can pay off the car in two chunks in a month.
How much of a discount can I expect then, any idea?
I think WAP charges is the agent fee and other service fees they add to get the registration done, this is where they make a healthy margin. Find out the actual RTO tax % for the car and everything you find in excess is being pocketed by them as "WAP/service fee"

I am not sure how much discount you can fetch exactly, the only way to do so is to call other dealerships in the country and bargain hard to see what they are offering. That will give you a ballpark figure of what you can demand from Infinity.
You will be surprised on how much you can save if you spend some time and effort on researching and haggling with dealers.

Do also bare in mind that since this car is MFD 2012 the dealer perhaps got it in stock before the budget hence he should sell it to you at pre-budget price(over and above the discount). The price hike has not affected him as he had the car billed to him before. They are only using the new price list to make more money as that is the going rate for 2013 cars that got the new tax levied on.

Last edited by Sahil : 24th July 2013 at 15:39.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks