Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2017, 15:24   #31
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned BMW 650i?

Not sure if this is a pre or pro facelift model? Image attached - Can you help?
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-owned BMW 650i?-img20170419wa0009.jpg  

ecosport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 15:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
Not sure if this is a pre or pro facelift model? Image attached - Can you help?
This is definitely the pre facelift model. The facelift had different newer headlamps and newer tail lamps both of which this car lacks.
Old 15th August 2017, 15:39   #33
BHPian

Rd for the quick response.
Read in initial thread "Just make sure you don't have the style-121 Ellipsoid wheels." - which one is this car having?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 15th August 2017 at 17:41. Reason: Please don't type like .....
ecosport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 15:44   #34
BHPian

This refere to a certain alloy wheel design which was prone to developing cracks and in extreme cases breaking and causing accidents. This car does not have those alloys
Old 15th August 2017, 17:44   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
This is definitely the pre facelift model. The facelift had different newer headlamps and newer tail lamps both of which this car lacks.
This is the facelift E63 650i. What you are calling a facelift is actually the newer generation F11 6 series.

Quote:
Rd for the quick response.
Read in initial thread "Just make sure you don't have the style-121 Ellipsoid wheels." - which one is this car having?
Those are not these wheels. A quick google search for BMW 121 style wheels would have yielded your result.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 05:09   #36
BHPian

20L for 650i 2011 registered model - Is it a steal?
Car is already 6+ years old, but well managed - 30K KMS driven only by single owner. However Car is out of warranty and service package.
Please advise .......
Old 5th October 2017, 09:26   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
20L for 650i 2011 registered model - Is it a steal?
Car is already 6+ years old, but well managed - 30K KMS driven only by single owner. However Car is out of warranty and service package.
Please advise .......
Even 2011 520Ds get listed for 20+L in Bangalore. So I think 20L is a great price if it's a KA registered car (somewhat too good to be true zone IMO).

No one can predict the maintenance costs. It may work out to be very cheap if it is just regular servicing or can be a nightmare.

If you know the complete history of the car, then it is worth taking a chance. It's a lovely car and these cars practically do not age. Just make sure you have a plan-B if things don't go as planned.
Old 5th October 2017, 09:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please advise .......
Avoid. A 6 year old BMW that is heavy on electronics can work for you and can also make you weep.

20lac is no doubt very tempting. If you must buy, make sure you inspect the car thoroughly with the service center. I won't blindly trust anything that the owner says no matter how well the car appears or drives.

You will spend anywhere between 40-60k to service this car at BMW.
Old 5th October 2017, 13:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

I think - ONLY and ONLY if BMW certifies that this is a clean car and there are no major expenses immediately required other than wear and tear items, its worth taking the plunge.

Some excel stuff assuming 3-year ownership and comparing with 320D:
650i
- Base cost = 20L
- Year 1 to Year 3 maintenance = 6L (assuming 2L on average incl 1 set of tyres)
- Sell price after 3 years = 10L (worst case)
- More fuel expense over a 320D = 1.5L over 3 years guesstimate

Net cost of fun = 20 + 6 + 1.5 - 10 = 17.5 + fuel + insurance + parking, etc
Any Bad luck not factored in.

new 320D
- Base cost = 45L
- Year 1 to Year 3 maintenance = 2L
- Sell price after 3 years = 30 (best case)

Net cost of fun = 45 + 2 - 30 = 17 + fuel + insurance + parking, etc
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 13:41   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
I think - ONLY and ONLY if BMW certifies that this is a clean car and there are no major expenses immediately required other than wear and tear items, its worth taking the plunge.

new 320D
- Base cost = 45L
- Year 1 to Year 3 maintenance = 2L
- Sell price after 3 years = 30 (best case)

Net cost of fun = 45 + 2 - 30 = 17 + fuel + insurance + parking, etc
@45L - he can easily pick up a pre-owned 530D in good nick with low kms which will work out similar in terms of 'net cost of fun'!
Just a thought!

Regarding the 650i - I am assuming this is the older model, so 20L is a pretty decent price! Also, by this time, most of the niggles should've been sorted out as it is towards the end of the production run for this model.

However, to be on the safe side - look at the service history for any recurring problems, and also search up on international forums for any reliability issues / niggles that are common to this car so you know what you're getting into.
If it is a first owner car - it should be fairly reliable for the owner to have maintained it for 6 years instead of selling it off.

IMO - if all the above checks out, buy this car only if:
- you have another vehicle for a daily drive
- 20L isn't the upper end of your budget. If you have a budget of 30L and are picking this up - it makes sense as you still have 10L to absorb any maintenance related unforeseen expenditures (because when parts in these cars go wrong, the service costs are anywhere in the higher 5 figures to the 6 figure range).
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 05:52   #41
BHPian

Thanks all for the inputs ........
Need advise on 2 other points -
1. Currently the car has RFT Tyres Bridgestone Potenza Sports 245/40 R19 94W which needs replacement IMO; Should I change all 4 with same tubeless or move to RFT from a cost +vehicle comfort ride perspective?

2. One of the leather seat is torn and cost of changing the entire seat is 60K+. Is there any other alternative patch work that is possible?

3. Hairline Dashboard Crack. This is not b'cas of any accidents or so ..... Technical reason not yet known! Ironically owner says due to Sun :( to which I don't find any logic. Are there any options to fix this as cost of replacing the entire dashboard is around 2.5L?

Please suggest options of workshop preferably in Kerala
Old 29th October 2017, 07:20   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Should I change all 4 with same tubeless or move to RFT from a cost +vehicle comfort ride perspective?
Either RFT or Tubeless will be ok depending on price & availability. Many members prefer going for tubeless, those are comfortable and cheaper as well.

Quote:
One of the leather seat is torn and cost of changing the entire seat is 60K
If I am not mistaken, you can order leather in 2 parts i.e separately for the bottom and upper, double check with your showroom. Mostly the bottom one gets damaged.

Quote:
Ironically owner says due to Sun
Possible, this was a common complaint on LC Prados in past and any shop that specializes in Interiors will able to do it. Do check his work before though. Another option will be to send a mail to BMW with photographs, you don't need to give second ownership details etc, just send them VIN and photos and see if they can pass you some goodwill warranty. If explained properly, expect around 40-60 % off.

So, have you bought the white one you posted before? How about some exhaust upgrades
Old 30th October 2017, 17:23   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for the inputs ........
Need advise on 2 other points -
1. Currently the car has RFT Tyres Bridgestone Potenza Sports 245/40 R19 94W which needs replacement IMO; Should I change all 4 with same tubeless or move to RFT from a cost +vehicle comfort ride perspective?

2. One of the leather seat is torn and cost of changing the entire seat is 60K+. Is there any other alternative patch work that is possible?

Please suggest options of workshop preferably in Kerala
1) Get a set of nice grippy Michelins/Continentals. Tubeless - RFT is going to be a little harsher and more expensive.

2) Can an independent accessories shop (Like stanley) re-do the seats with a matching colour?
Old 5th May 2018, 02:56   #44

650i as Primary car in Delhi?

I'm currently driving a F30 320d and looking to upgrade in 2-3 months. So I want to make my mind on what I really want. After driving 320d for 2 years I prefer to stick to BMW as I have driven mercedes and jaguar and I didn't find them fun to drive when compared to my F30. I enjoy taking in the sheer adrenaline rush you get in Bimmers. However, I'm still open to good performance options.
I'm setting my budget at 55-60L. I could get a 2012/13 650i Convertible for 50 which I really. My concern is that can I keep that as my primary car considering the low ground clearance of 6 series. Driving will be mostly in Gurgaon and South Delhi. I don't want to keep 2 cars as I live alone and there's no need for a second car. My yearly running is around 10k Km. A couple more things I would like some advise on:
  1. It comes with a soft-top. Any cons to that?
  2. A 5 year old 6 series with 25K km on the odometer. Is that going to be obscenely high to maintain?
  3. If not 650i, then what?

Thanks for your valuable input in advance
Old 5th May 2018, 10:31   #45
Team-BHP Support

Re: 650i as Primary car in Delhi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuj-m View Post
I'm currently driving a F30 320d and looking to upgrade in 2-3 months. So I want to make my mind on what I really want. After driving 320d for 2 years I prefer to stick to BMW as I have driven mercedes and jaguar and I didn't find them fun to drive when compared to my F30. I enjoy taking in the sheer adrenaline rush you get in Bimmers. However, I'm still open to good performance options.
I'm setting my budget at 55-60L. I could get a 2012/13 650i Convertible for 50 which I really. My concern is that can I keep that as my primary car considering the low ground clearance of 6 series. Driving will be mostly in Gurgaon and South Delhi. I don't want to keep 2 cars as I live alone and there's no need for a second car. My yearly running is around 10k Km. A couple more things I would like some advise on:
  1. It comes with a soft-top. Any cons to that?
  2. A 5 year old 6 series with 25K km on the odometer. Is that going to be obscenely high to maintain?
  3. If not 650i, then what?
Thanks for your valuable input in advance

That's a fair budget for a 650i. Infact as you said you will probably get one cheaper.

1) Less insulation from heat and sound. Why not a coupe?

2) Not really obscenely high. Infact regular maintenance will be similar to the F30, but when any part fails it will be a lot higher. But as long as you are budgeting for that it shouldn't be an issue.

3) Loads of other options, from R8s to Luxo barges. But I guess the 6 series appeals to you. And its a good choice, its probably more practical than others with its grand touring purpose.

I suggest you take a TD and then decide for yourself if the vehicle is usable as a daily driver.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks