Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2016, 11:37   #46
BHPian

re: Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
We now have the C250d,M320d and the Superb L& K fighting for my garage space ( though the Superb doesn't fit. Stupid). How about we add the X1 M sport too and see if it makes makes the cut. Honestly I haven't driven it but will do shortly. It should be also cheaper by around 6-8 lakhs post discounts.
That is a good problem to have Arjun! Of the 4, the X1 M will be the least involving to drive but given the no road conditions in Bangalore it will probably be the most practical to own. The Superb L&K is a really nice car and will be the most comfortable family car to own. Skoda service has been improving and owning one in Bangalore is far easier than many other cities in the country.
Between the 3 and the C, I honestly feel that the C is a better buy today as it is a new car while the 3 will be replaced shortly.

Incidentally, why aren't you considering the Petrol 3 or XE?
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 20:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

I like Mercs, especially for highway driving. Have you considered the E, the difference between E and C is pretty small and with good bargaining you may get a steal deal. The space is more and the rear seats are much better.
Old 18th October 2016, 20:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I like Mercs, especially for highway driving. Have you considered the E, the difference between E and C is pretty small and with good bargaining you may get a steal deal. The space is more and the rear seats are much better.

Did take a look at the E. It's very nice and can be had for a few lakhs more. The issue is that the model will change next year and will suddenly look a decade old.
Old 19th October 2016, 09:42   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did take a look at the E. It's very nice and can be had for a few lakhs more. The issue is that the model will change next year and will suddenly look a decade old.
You might want to hold on and look at the Volvo S90
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 10:14   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You might want to hold on and look at the Volvo S90

I would have thought that'll be meaningfully more expensive right?

Also not really very involving to drive I suppose although will be ultra luxurious. That depends on priorities of course.
Old 19th October 2016, 12:58   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We now have the C250d,M320d and the Superb L& K fighting for my garage space ( though the Superb doesn't fit. Stupid). How about we add the X1 M sport too and see if it makes makes the cut. Honestly I haven't driven it but will do shortly. It should be also cheaper by around 6-8 lakhs post discounts.
Spent a considerable amount of time in the 320D, and have been driving a c220d the last couple of days here.

Honestly - the 320d is more entertaining to drive, and also a little bit more comfortable than the C. If these are your priorities - look no further.
If you're willing to sacrifice the fun to drive for everyday practicality - you have the X1.

The C on the other hand looks and feels a whole lot more special, and is definitely a cruiser.
However, a proper mercedes it isn't - with it's light build, unsorted ride quality, and poor NVH. Rattles have already cropped up as well (car has done only 500kms!).
If you want a proper Mercedes, pick up the outgoing W212 E Class - it's a steal at the prices they're selling it for (given the new model will be considerably more expensive).

Skip the Superb - wait for the new Passat with it's Audi like interiors, and quicker (rumour) diesel engine.
Old 19th October 2016, 13:16   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Spent a considerable amount of time in the 320D, and have been driving a c220d the last couple of days here.

Honestly - the 320d is more entertaining to drive, and also a little bit more comfortable than the C. If these are your priorities - look no further.

If you're willing to sacrifice the fun to drive for everyday practicality - you have the X1.

The C on the other hand looks and feels a whole lot more special, and is definitely a cruiser.

However, a proper mercedes it isn't - with it's light build, unsorted ride quality, and poor NVH. Rattles have already cropped up as well (car has done only 500kms!).

If you want a proper Mercedes, pick up the outgoing W212 E Class - it's a steal at the prices they're selling it for (given the new model will be considerably more expensive).

Skip the Superb - wait for the new Passat with it's Audi like interiors, and quicker (rumour) diesel engine.

I feel reassured having picked the GT after reading your take above.

Agree with most of what you say on the beemers including X1. I'm glad I steered clear of the C although I have to say it looks stunning! Didn't know this about the build quality though.

Personally if I were in OPs shoes I'd bring it down to GT vs 320 vs X1.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 13:48   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I feel reassured having picked the GT after reading your take above.

Agree with most of what you say on the beemers including X1. I'm glad I steered clear of the C although I have to say it looks stunning! Didn't know this about the build quality though.

Personally if I were in OPs shoes I'd bring it down to GT vs 320 vs X1.
My car enthusiast friends aren't big fans of the new C, while the general juntaa loves it (interiors are WOW, "the doors open like silk", etc.)!
Personally too - when it comes to a late night drive, i'd pick up the keys to the E60 5 series, which even after 8 years manages to plaster a smile on my face; but for daily commute in traffic and cruises - the C would be my pick just because of how it feels when you're sitting inside.

The GT however is a great option - perfect mix between the X1 and 320D. OP should seriously consider this as an option.
It's a top contender for whenever our 5 is up for replacement, which is now delayed indefinitely thanks to one of your neighbours.
Old 21st October 2016, 15:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton for all your inputs. I have tried to maintain the best balance keeping in mind Drive, interiors, features, a fresh model and most importantly family.

Have booked the C250D and now awaiting delivery sometime towards the end of the month. Will keep guys posted. Thanks once again.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 01:56   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Personally too - when it comes to a late night drive, i'd pick up the keys to the E60 5 series, which even after 8 years manages to plaster a smile on my face;
you bet! Even though we have a decent mix of newer luxury cars in our garage now, nothing quite fills the void of our ex E60 525d.
The S350d is great but just doesn't pack the punch of the E60 even though on paper it is faster than the Beamer. In fact my father who uses the S most kept missing the E60 so much that I considered getting a brabus chip done to his S. But unfortunately Brabus reverted saying their boxes are not compatible for the CKD S350d since it's emmison levels are different. You can switch the Mercedes to sports mode and it does pack a punch and gets tail happy as it's rear wheel drive too but it's just not as much fun since it's a mammoth get any fish tailing going.

Even if you do upgrade to the GT, keep the E60. It's resale anyway would be in single digit lakhs now.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 14:39   #56
BHPian

End the discussion right here, and buy the 330i GT

Its too good of an Engine, and too good of a deal.

You are lucky to have waited.

dont think, and close it right now. Get the first one.

- Nucliomaniac
Nucliomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 21:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Time to bring this thread to a close.

Got delivery of the C250d on the 19th. Thanks all for your valuable inputs.
Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485358522.147693.jpg
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 22:49   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Time to bring this thread to a close.

Got delivery of the C250d on the 19th. Thanks all for your valuable inputs.
Attachment 1599386
Congrats it's so pretty I am dying to get one if only Mercedes India can add Memory Seats on it. How's the engine noise in the cabin? May I also ask how is the sound and does it come with Apple Carplay?

Thank you and have Miles of fun with this lovely car.
Old 28th January 2017, 23:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesGirl View Post
Congrats it's so pretty I am dying to get one if only Mercedes India can add Memory Seats on it. How's the engine noise in the cabin? May I also ask how is the sound and does it come with Apple Carplay?

I got a C250d (Blue), thanks to Arjun! Lacking memory seats is unpardonable. The car has auto-park (parktronic) but no memory seats???

1. Noise is bad when the engine is cold. It gets tolerable after that
2. Sound is ordinary. Been thinking how to upgrade
3. I wish it had Android Auto (to use Google Maps) though I have an iPhone (I'll gladly get an Android phone for just using Google Maps). It has neither Apple Carplay nor Android Auto

C250d comes with Garmin maps in an SD Card. It is absolutely useless. The interface is 1990s - I feel bad for anyone who bought it for 50,000 Rs for any non-C250d version. I am back to using my cellphone holder for maps.

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 28th January 2017 at 23:49. Reason: Missed out on maps.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 14:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesGirl View Post

Thanks. Engine noise is not too bad. I kind of like it when you accelerate. No memory seats, we kind of get used to this step motherly treatment. All in all very satisfied. Haven't done a long drive as yet. Probably Chennai or Hyderabad on the cards next week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks