Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2020, 11:09   #106
BHPian

Re: BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
I am planning to book a X3 30i soon and wanted to see what is the price for upgrading to 20" LA Wheel Y Spoke (Black) via the dealer ?

Also are there any chrome-delete packages available as an official accessory ?
Shubham - did you book your X3? What discounts are you getting in BLR? I am planning to for one by end of the year / early next year.
Old 19th October 2020, 20:12   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
Shubham - did you book your X3? What discounts are you getting in BLR? I am planning to for one by the end of the year / early next year.
I am also looking to upgrade from my 2016 F48 X1 20d. I am looking at X3, X4, and X5. I know their price points are quite apart, but I have some flexibility in terms of budget and especially if I get a good discount on the X5. Last December, I was offered a 15 lakhs discount on the BS4 X5 but wasn't planning on upgrading then.

I still have a horizon of 6-10 months as my 5th-year warranty on X1 ends in 11 months and I want to sell it before the warranty ends so the new owner can also have peace of mind when buying. Or maybe I can exchange it with the dealer if that's a better option.

I am inclined towards the X3 30d, but I don't think that option is available now. The 20d engine seems adequate on the X1 but I am not sure about X3. I would prefer diesel as I run almost 18k-20k a year, and I also have a Cooper S for fun driving.

Mostly, it's just my wife and me who occupy the car 80% of the time so the X4 also seems appealing to me and it has a 30d as well, which I would like.

Lastly, what would be the best time to buy, in terms of discounts. December or March?

Any help and suggestions welcome. Many thanks for considering my request.
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:28   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohittater View Post
Any help and suggestions welcome.
If you are inclined for 30d, have a look at X4.

From my experience of X3 20d TD, torque delivery is poor till 2000 rpm.
But I think for city use X3 20d will be okay.

Suggest to TD both X3 20d & X4 30d, you will notice the difference in torque as well as power.

Start enquiring now at Bird, they will hold off min 1.5 - 2 Lakhs with them from total discount offered till you walk out or towards Dec end.

Brdgs
Sail
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 23:11   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Shubham - did you book your X3? What discounts are you getting in BLR? I am planning to for one by end of the year / early next year.
Hello, I just booked my X3 30i yesterday. Went through the same mental agony most of you are experiencing trying to choose the right one..My heart said X4 but my mind was always very clear about X3. But in the end, none of this mattered as my wifey chose X3, so X3 it is, who is complaining

So here is the deal. If you are married with kids or is sure to have backseat passengers most of the time, go for X3. If you are single or a young couple and your backseat is more likely to be vacant , go with the X4. Its all about the backseat space. Yes, the driving dynamics are a bit different too but the deal breaker is the backseat.

Now, the bootspace..and i have something for you guys. I did a luggage test with 2 big boxes and 2 cabin bags and see how it fared on X3 and x4

X3

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-1.jpg

X4

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-2.jpg

Here is how I felt, X4 left me surprised, it was able to accommodate all 4 boxes but had to try a few combinations and permutations to get it right. It felt like a puzzle but its possible. With X3, it was easy but then I felt like, Oh the boot is already almost full. So to summarize, the X4 boot is bigger than you think and the X3 probably the other way round. But you can definitely fit in a few more stuff in X3 boot than the X4. Hope this helps.

I also test drove GLC , GLC coupe, F-Pace, Discovery Sport and Evoque and was lucky enough to stay corona free.

I am yet to get my car, its scheduled to arrive sometime next week. Do you guys have any suggestion on any must have accessory I should buy now itself. I am keen on the BMW Car Eye 2.0 but i keep reading reviews about the poor quality of videos. I currently have a Street Guardian dashcam doing its duty on my current car , so wondering if that would suffice. Any advise on this and related purchase matters are most welcome.
FireBug is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 01:48   #110
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations, Firebug. You can skip the camera for now and instead use something plug and play from MI and likes. May look little cluttered but works well and you can hardwire later.

If you plan to keep the car longer, get 2 years extension on the warranty as the prices for warranty are going to increase at the end of this month. If it’s your first premium car purchase and are skeptical on the maintenance costs, can also opt for BSI pack for 3 or 4 years.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 07:55   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
Hello, I just booked my X3 30i yesterday.
Hi FireBug,

Congratulations to you and wish you and your family safe & memorable journeys ahead with the X3.

The problem lies with raised boot floor.
Some tips for luggage space: Never load luggage above rear back seat height, this will hamper your rear view severely. Other than luggage, we always end up other nick/nack in the boot, likewise cleaning stuff, duster, portable tire inflator, spare water bottles etc, especially on long drives. There are some space available in the spare wheel-well. Also likewise on all BMWs, there are small cubby-holes on both sides of the boot (with removable hard covers), some small items goes there too. Finally, you will be surprised to see how boot space of X3 increases when you adjust the back seat to up-right position. This is very effective when carrying suitcase type of luggage.

X3 is a fully loaded car. Suggest you to drive first and decide what accessories you need. At this moment, all you need some good floor & boot liner/mats.
Car battery is located at the center of the rear end, very close to bumper (you can see when you open the boot floor cover to access the spare wheel-well. I had a near miss with water spillage in the boot & boot mat saved my day.

X3 30i builds up speed very silently, especially after 1400 rpm, with a blink of an eye you will be cruising at 80+ kmph. You don’t get diesel car like push, as a result it is very much possible to mis-understand her speed.

Wish you safe miles ahead.

Brdgs
Sail
Sail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 12:18   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, I just booked my X3 30i yesterday. Went through the same mental agony most of you are experiencing trying to choose the right one..My heart said X4 but my mind was always very clear about X3. But in the end, none of this mattered as my wifey chose X3, so X3 it is, who is complaining

Congratulations FireBug. X3 is a great car and wish you very happy miles.

Did you get any discounts and if so can you please share? Also, what are your opinion on the other cars you test drive particularly GLC compared to X3?
pk1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 13:10   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congratulations, Firebug. You can skip the camera for now and instead use something plug and play from MI and likes. May look little cluttered but works well and you can hardwire later.

If you plan to keep the car longer, get 2 years extension on the warranty as the prices for warranty are going to increase at the end of this month. If it’s your first premium car purchase and are skeptical on the maintenance costs, can also opt for BSI pack for 3 or 4 years.
Hello Turbanator,

Thank you I do have a Street Guardian Dashcam which is on my current vehicle, the Audi Q3. I can as well use the same on the X3 but I love the fact that the BMW solution is an integrated one and so comes with the BMW support.

I always keep my cars as long as its under warranty. My 5 year Q3 warranty is getting over early next year and hence this hard decision to move on. I say hard because i just simply love the Q3. Its the car I use on a daily basis, I love the way it drives, the fact that its easy to maneuver in the city, the reliability it offered over these years, how cheap the service costs were etc etc. basically, it has been a fantastic experience owning the Q3. Now that my kids are growing up, the back seat is fast becoming a squeeze and that too is a factor in hesitantly moving on from Q3.

With the new X3, I have opted for the 5 year warranty (2+3) and they say it comes with a 6th year goodwill warranty. Not sure how that would work out though.

I was initially planning to buy the car in December and was on this test drive spree so that i have enough time to research and ponder over the right one , but then came the news that BMW is increasing the price of all the cars from November 1st , i am told its a 3% increase for BMW. Now that would make it a good 1.5-2 lakhs more expensive and that prompted me to act fast and finalize on the X3.

While i have paid the token amount, I am still negotiating with the dealer so it would not be apt to comment on the deal at this juncture but the best part of what's already offered is the 5 years /60000 kms BMW service package PLUS (which comes with cover for wear and tear too) free of cost.

I am super excited about the new car, will keep you guys posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Hi FireBug,

Congratulations to you and wish you and your family safe & memorable journeys ahead with the X3.

The problem lies with raised boot floor.
Some tips for luggage space: Never load luggage above rear back seat height, this will hamper your rear view severely. Other than luggage, we always end up other nick/nack in the boot, likewise cleaning stuff, duster, portable tire inflator, spare water bottles etc, especially on long drives. There are some space available in the spare wheel-well. Also likewise on all BMWs, there are small cubby-holes on both sides of the boot (with removable hard covers), some small items goes there too. Finally, you will be surprised to see how boot space of X3 increases when you adjust the back seat to up-right position. This is very effective when carrying suitcase type of luggage.

X3 is a fully loaded car. Suggest you to drive first and decide what accessories you need. At this moment, all you need some good floor & boot liner/mats.
Car battery is located at the center of the rear end, very close to bumper (you can see when you open the boot floor cover to access the spare wheel-well. I had a near miss with water spillage in the boot & boot mat saved my day.

X3 30i builds up speed very silently, especially after 1400 rpm, with a blink of an eye you will be cruising at 80+ kmph. You don’t get diesel car like push, as a result it is very much possible to mis-understand her speed.

Wish you safe miles ahead.

Brdgs
Sail

Hi Sail,

Thanks for all your valuable suggestions. The dealer here didnt have the 30i so i only test drove the 20d . While 20d is not a slouch by any means, i was quite clear about my next car being a petrol so was quite in a fix on how to get a test drive. Thankfully a friend's friend had the petrol one and the driving experience reaffirmed my decision to go with it.

Exactly like you pointed out, with the petrol, the power delivery was more linear but equally enthralling , in fact i am told its faster than the 20d by almost 2 seconds in the 0-100 lap. Overall pretty excited !! Thank you

Quote:
Congratulations FireBug. X3 is a great car and wish you very happy miles.

Did you get any discounts and if so can you please share? Also, what are your opinion on the other cars you test drive particularly GLC compared to X3?
Hi pk1972, i will provide the details as soon as the final deal is cut. We are still negotiating even though i have paid the booking amount.

On GLC vs X3, the GLC would have been my choice if comfort driving was my topmost priority. I was more interested in the joy of driving and driving dynamics without compromising too much on practicality (read X4) so the decision was quite straightforward for me. That said, i loved the GLC interiors more and thought it had more tech than X3. Correct me if i am wrong on this , I believe GLC sells a lot more than X3 across the world but ultimately it boils down to how you feel when you drive and sit in a car, and for me X3 ticked all the boxes and the compromises i had to make were not deal breakers.

Also, I have read reports of an all new generation GLC getting launched in 2021. Its supposedly longer and wider and bring in tons of changes as expected from a generation change. You should probably check on this news too if you are keen on getting the existing GLC.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2020 at 05:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 26th October 2020, 11:46   #114
BHPian

Quote:
I did get a X3 30i Blue/Beige. Costed me around 72 with BSI, BRI, Car Eye 2.0
shubhamAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 13:11   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
I did get a X3 30i Blue/Beige. Costed me around 72 with BSI, BRI, Car Eye 2.0
Shubham, i am also thinking of getting the Car Eye 2.0, how good is it ? Are you happy with its performance.? Hows the clarity of it at night ?
Old 28th October 2020, 08:28   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Shubham, i am also thinking of getting the Car Eye 2.0, how good is it ? Are you happy with its performance.? Hows the clarity of it at night ?
I haven't tested the camera thoroughly yet, other than the initial demo. One of my reasons for going with the Car Eye 2.0 was that it is a 2 Camera setup that integrates well with the car and that it is an official accessory so there won't be any warranty issues. It does not have any GPS tracking though (I plan to get an OBD tracker some time soon).

On my i10, I have the Kent CamEye. It is one of a kind Dashcam service so it works for me but Kent CamEye is too Wide to be a dash cam and the App is very slow to respond sometimes (and that camera is cheaply made). You can try that as well.
shubhamAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 17:00   #117
BHPian

I am going through the agony right now. Finding it extremely difficult to decide between X3 and X4. Also the difference between the petrol and diesel is eating away with me.

My family is just me and my wife. I usually have a driver drive me to office (primarily because I share the car with my wife who doesn't drive). However I always sit in the navigator seat and not back seat. So the sloping roof doesn't bother me much. In the rare cases i might have friends or family at the back - they can bear low roof I'd say.

My driving is primarily on weekends on two to three long road trips a year.

However haven't seen much of traction on X4 in any of the forums and I'm getting a bit worried if it's a wrong decision. Also I am a very composed driver and while I really don't mind the 20d - I'm still finding it difficult to make up my mind on 30i and 30d.

Any advice?

PS: this is my first German. I drive a XuV 500 right now and used to own a linea before.

Last edited by tictactoe : 29th October 2020 at 17:02.
Old 29th October 2020, 18:58   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictactoe View Post
I am going through the agony right now. Finding it extremely difficult to decide between X3 and X4. Also the difference between the petrol and diesel is eating away with me.

I'm still finding it difficult to make up my mind on 30i and 30d.
In my opinion, you wouldn't go wrong with either of these engines. One is a torque monster and another is a sweet revving engine. Decide based on other parameters like features, practicality etc. Though X4 may look quirky, I personally liked the looks.

Though FE should not be a priority, it does influence the range on a single tank of fuel and hence the frequency of refueling on longer trips. Consider this aspect as well.

Good luck with the decision making and all the best.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 21:11   #119
BHPian

Looking at this thread, X4 seems to be the girl a lot many covet but end up marrying the down to earth sister
tictactoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 22:24   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictactoe View Post
... difficult to decide between X3 and X4 ...
Wheelbase and ground clearance are similar for both, but, X4 is tad longer, wider, while a little shorter in height than X3. Due to more height latter feels roomier as the rear heard-room is taller and panoramic sunroof extends all the way till the boot. Cabin feels brighter too in X3.. For me dealer was giving sweeter deal on X4, however due to roomier feeling and better and conventional looks (subjective) I went with X3. Would have liked 30d for few lakhs extra, but, not regret 20d either. It has thrilled me so far and hindsight it is more fuel efficient, gives a longer range in tank full and saves some money too :-). With 120 kph dong dong sound... I think 20d has more than adequate power I will ever need.

Nutshell, roominess and conventional looks of X3 won it for me.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 30th October 2020 at 22:25.
bj96 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks