Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2019, 23:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Luxury Car: INR 50-75L Bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
I personally would love the 530i M Sport, but my father is very keen of the higher GC and the huge backseat area of the 6GT. I HATE the wheels offered on the 6GT, ruins the whole look of the vehicle. (Any alternatives for this problem?)
I would suggest the car your father is most comfortable in. Yes, you might suffer in terms of a better drivers car, but at his age, your fathers comfort should be a priority.

The wheels are easy enough to replace. Talk to the dealers and they should be willing to get you another set of wheels and tyres if necessary.
Old 5th June 2019, 17:20   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
What is the ex-showroom discounted price of the 630i luxury?

It's around 53 lakh ex-showroom after discount.
aman-bh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 13:10   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
I personally would love the 530i M Sport, but my father is very keen of the higher GC and the huge backseat area of the 6GT. I HATE the wheels offered on the 6GT, ruins the whole look of the vehicle. (Any alternatives for this problem?)
This is something I am trying to make peace with as well - we still haven't bought a car (ended up buying the Tiguan for highway trips which he uses as a second car for when his back / my back is thrown out, but mom isn't keen on it as she doesn't like climbing in and out + we really need to re-think the garage a bit).

The 630i at a Rs. 2L difference is totally worth it - and you may just be very impressed with it on the highways though it may be a little cumbersome to drive in the city.

About the wheels: best bet is to swap them with something you like. It will be expensive, but I am sure you can work out a compromise with your father - he gets the 6GT, and you get to pick up some nice alloys.
Old 11th March 2020, 14:30   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
This is something I am trying to make peace with as well - we still haven't bought a car (ended up buying the Tiguan for highway trips which he uses as a second car for when his back / my back is thrown out, but mom isn't keen on it as she doesn't like climbing in and out + we really need to re-think the garage a bit).

The 630i at a Rs. 2L difference is totally worth it - and you may just be very impressed with it on the highways though it may be a little cumbersome to drive in the city.

About the wheels: best bet is to swap them with something you like. It will be expensive, but I am sure you can work out a compromise with your father - he gets the 6GT, and you get to pick up some nice alloys.
Went through the entire thread only to realise that even I am in the same dilemma as you.

I took my father to try the E Class, but he stepped out disappointed because of various reasons. Though the car has lot of room at the rear, his main problem was the total lack of under thigh support. To get any under thigh support he would have to stretch his legs completely - which isn't possible with any driver above 5'6" and impossible if I am driving and he is seated behind me. The ride quality too was not upto the mark - the 6GT was much better. Along with these two problems, he pointed out the HUGE transmission tunnel which along with the new cup holders leaves no space for my daughter to be seated in the middle seat. (there is a different rule book of logic when grand parents and grand kids are involved!!)

All in all in my case the 6GT checks everything in the requirement list (and some more) and the only deterrent so far is the obscene pricing of the M sport variant

What did you finally end up buying?

Last edited by samyakmodi : 11th March 2020 at 14:33.
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 14:49   #35
BHPian

I have similar plans but couple of years down the road ( drive a 3 series now). Why doesn't Porsche Macan figure in anybody's top choices? Its got everything i think that you would want in a car. especially in india, maybe i am missing something...
Old 11th March 2020, 15:07   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Went through the entire thread only to realise that even I am in the same dilemma as you.

I took my father to try the E Class, but he stepped out disappointed because of various reasons. Though the car has lot of room at the rear, his main problem was the total lack of under thigh support. To get any under thigh support he would have to stretch his legs completely - which isn't possible with any driver above 5'6" and impossible if I am driving and he is seated behind me. The ride quality too was not upto the mark - the 6GT was much better. Along with these two problems, he pointed out the HUGE transmission tunnel which along with the new cup holders leaves no space for my daughter to be seated in the middle seat. (there is a different rule book of logic when grand parents and grand kids are involved!!)

All in all in my case the 6GT checks everything in the requirement list (and some more) and the only deterrent so far is the obscene pricing of the M sport variant

What did you finally end up buying?
Honestly, nothing as yet.

At the moment we have more cars than we actually need - but cannot justify selling any of them off barring the A6.

None of the options make sense barring the 6GT, but we were also exploring the option of switching over to full time SUV like the X3 / XC60 / X5 / new-GLE.

In the interim period - last year December to be more precise, we spent a stupid amount on bringing the A6 back to full glory while we waited. Small stuff that had deteriorated over time like mounts, odd suspension parts, along with a full service.
Just returned from a spin on the expressway this Sunday and the car has set the bench mark quite high with it's brilliant NVH, well tuned air suspension. Heck apart from shoddy reliability & a low rear seat - it's quite nice for the chauffeur driven and set's the standard quite high given the E is a little firm in the city & bouncy on the highway; the 5 has sub-par legroom; the S90, new A6, and ES300h suffer from the same issues as the current A6 - low rear seat & headroom.

The 6GT makes perfect sense, but with the 5 LCI around the corner - I expect the 6 LCI to be close behind. Though I have been exploring the thought of waiting for a deal on a 7 series / low run pre-owned 7 series.
It's going to be large - but if I can convince dad to use the Tiguan for the city & rough roads + the 7 for nights & expressways it could just be a win-win.

But either ways I have kept it on hold for the time being. Perhaps a year when the BS6 transition has settled down and niggles resolved + the economy sees an improvement.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 15:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
It's going to be large - but if I can convince dad to use the Tiguan for the city & rough roads + the 7 for nights & expressways it could just be a win-win.
but wouldn't that make lesser financial sense? considering you would be losing more money on a car which costs more - shouldn't one use it more often than just once in a while? the insurance takes care of all the basic mishaps one might run into, while any manufacturer's extended warranty will take care of the rest.

at least that's the logic I go by. The more I spend on a vehicle - more multipurpose it should be as I would rather use it for everyday and lose some more money because of the kms run 5/7 years down the line VS using it sparingly and lose money only because it has aged.

on a different note - are there really any niggles with the BS6/Euro6 engines? Economy taking a turn is something we all wish for but when that will happen is anyone's guess.
samyakmodi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 16:24   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
but wouldn't that make lesser financial sense? considering you would be losing more money on a car which costs more - shouldn't one use it more often than just once in a while? the insurance takes care of all the basic mishaps one might run into, while any manufacturer's extended warranty will take care of the rest.

at least that's the logic I go by. The more I spend on a vehicle - more multipurpose it should be as I would rather use it for everyday and lose some more money because of the kms run 5/7 years down the line VS using it sparingly and lose money only because it has aged.

on a different note - are there really any niggles with the BS6/Euro6 engines? Economy taking a turn is something we all wish for but when that will happen is anyone's guess.
Honestly, financially speaking - it doesn't make sense. Heck, my garage doesn't make sense

But his running is generally limited in town - home-office-home runs of about 8kms. The A6 has done 54Kkm since Nov. 2011 and it's his daily with me barely using it since he is very fussy about his car & it really isn't something I am keen to drive either with the CVT & dead steering.
We also keep the more expensive cars for a lot longer - 8-10 years in general.

Plus, one of his biggest issues is with the car size - he doesn't care about brand value as much though is a car enthusiast (so no KIA Carnival please!) who has stopped driving a.k.a backseat driver - he doesn't like the idea of something unnecessarily large and bulky in traffic given the conditions in Mumbai & 2 relatively annoying U-turns one has to make in the commute.
Lastly - it won't fit in the basement with ease at home, and will require a dedicated parking spot on the porch which can be a pain when there are gatherings at home.
I hope to be able to overcome the latter two points in a year or two; but for the former reasons - a dedicated 2 car garage may be the only way to convince him to get something which would be a true upgrade as financially unsound as it maybe.

Plus - the Tiguan will be used by my wife & I for some road trips as well though few & far in between (given both of us driven sedans with low GC); and may even drive the new car a fair amount in the longer run.

Either ways - this is something I am playing around with in my mind whilst I have the time.

About BS6 engines: BS6 diesel's require AdBlue additive every few thousand kms + have a more complex DPF system which so far works best on the open highway & not in congested cities. Lastly BS6 diesels will be ULSD IIRC - around 10% content compared to present 50% (please correct me if I am wrong) - in the long run this may cause trouble with BS4 diesel engines due to increased friction - but there are additives in the diesel to ensure this doesn't happen to BS4 vehicles (but it still a possibility in the long-term).

Last edited by lamborghini : 11th March 2020 at 16:27.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:32   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

So with news of mouth-watering deals on some Germans, we again began our search for the A6 replacement with the intent of buying something in the next 0-6 months.

Due to Covid, I have been able to spend a fair bit of time with the A6 and have taken over the role of dad's chauffeur - including trips to office and what not.

Almost 6 months of this, coupled with an expressway run in the middle, I have to accept a 7/S is not meant to be right now.
While the roads and commute aren't bad as such - thankfully we don't have our office at Zaveri Bazaar or Lower Parel but it's still crowded with reckless scooters, heavy traffic, big speed breakers, and narrow spots where taking a U-turn can be a pain.
Plus, I would like to drive this on those occasions when we do a family trip to Pune / Mahabaleshwar, etc. and dad too may get behind the wheel for a few minutes.

Maybe in 6-7 years depending how the roads & metro develop, and possibly a driver reshuffle later, though we did see some good examples of the 7 within the budget and part of me really wants to get one home however impractical it is

Our other changes to our wishlist:
- BS6 and low running : Petrols preferred (unless it's a 6 cylinder diesel)
- Sedan only : SUVs are great for our conditions but they don't ride as well, there's noticeable body roll, and not the best for ease of ingress / egress.
- Want a simple sedan with good ride quality, and a rear seat experience that is a pleasant change from our A6
- Good build quality and decent reliability for our road conditions as this will be purely chauffeur driven : we hate rattles, firm ride, and frequent workshop visits (such as dealing with the A6 air suspension though the build & ride are fantastic!)
- Open to pre-owned, low run vehicles

What remains the same is that it will be mostly chauffeur driven, 90% with one passenger, 5% with two passengers, and rest 5% with more people on board.
It's okay if it's not great to drive as we have more engaging options in the garage - though fun to drive would be a bonus and see me sneaking it out more often

Options we've looked at:
- BMW 530i: Cramped rear! Didn't even bother with a test drive though it ticks all our other boxes in the base Sport trim (M-Sport was nice to have, but the Sport met our requirements better with the smaller 17" alloys)

- Audi A6: More spacious, fantastic interiors, and brilliant value for money! With the air suspension deleted, expect it to be more reliable as well. Loved the higher profile 18" tyres, dedicated spare wheel well, etc. However not a big jump in styling or rear seat experience.

- BMW X3: We considered SUVs until we drove the X3 - body roll & lumpier ride took it off the list along with the step up to get in.

- GLC 200: Too similar inside to our W205 C220, and again not the easiest to climb in and out off.

- Lexus ES300 : This seems perfect, but the example we drove seems to have been thoroughly abused (over 30,000kms done, and apparently used for demos across cities & journalists, and what not) - the ride wasn't as cossetting. Hoping a better maintained test drive vehicle would give a better idea.
I liked that despite the abuse, there was barely any rattles (barely*), the rear seat was very comfy, and that this is a more abuse friendly vehicle that can be given to another driver at home when needed without much worry. The hybrid is a plus!
However, Lexus is stingy on discounts & the E/6GT actually end up undercutting!
On the shortlist subject to test drive of a better maintained vehicle.

- Mercedes E200 : Didn't get to drive the E200, drove the E220d instead. The drive was nothing extraordinary, and I did feel like a chauffeur at times, however the rear seat was magical!
Ride quality was strictly average, maintenance would be on the higher side by a decent margin, and fear of rattles! Made it to the shortlist.

- BMW 630i: What a car! I loved it! But air suspension, price, ground clearance and looks were some troubling aspects.

Any thoughts?
S90 skipped out : low ground clearance, no stock availability, and low rear seat
XC60: Diesel & SUV though a fantastic car!
XF: boring interiors, cramped, and there are enough public health advisories regarding abysmal quality of service
Old 6th January 2021, 20:08   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- BMW 630i: What a car! I loved it! But air suspension, price, ground clearance and looks were some troubling aspects.
The only bright spot in your long post.

Here is a good read:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...t-m-sport.html (Review: My BMW 630D GT M-Sport)

Looks will grow on you eventually, who knows, will look fab once the massive bunny-teeth grill is unleashed.

There is no perfect car at any budget. The list of potential issues you pointed out are not such deal breakers. This is a special car among a lot of me-toos.

Last edited by androdev : 6th January 2021 at 20:09.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 00:08   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The only bright spot in your long post.

Here is a good read:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...t-m-sport.html (Review: My BMW 630D GT M-Sport)

There is no perfect car at any budget. The list of potential issues you pointed out are not such deal breakers. This is a special car among a lot of me-toos.
I really like it!
Even looking at a pre-owned 630D which I think could be a great addition to the garage long term.

Extended warranty should cover air suspension issues + will have to keep some money aside for it.
Ground clearance etc. will probably take a long drive and figure out, and looks can be solved to a good degree with nicer alloys later on.

Only need to convince dad as its the one car he's not experienced and wants something smaller.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:39   #42
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Any particular reason you haven't considered the Toyota Camry? Apart from badge value, it seems to satisfy most of your requirements.
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:54   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Any particular reason you haven't considered the Toyota Camry? Apart from badge value, it seems to satisfy most of your requirements.
Correct, add the new 3 Series LWB to the list.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 14:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Mercedes E200 : Didn't get to drive the E200, drove the E220d instead. The drive was nothing extraordinary, and I did feel like a chauffeur at times, however the rear seat was magical!
Ride quality was strictly average, maintenance would be on the higher side by a decent margin, and fear of rattles! Made it to the shortlist.
How about the 350? Air suspension + RFT replacement with tubeless will give you the magic carpet feeling. Get the extended warranty and you'll be good to go.
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 17:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

Only 2 options I can think of for your budget:

1. BMW 630i Luxury Line - Great for practicality, monster boot and much better space than a similar 530i.

2. Lexus ES300h - Decently well-priced, hybrid advantage + great rear-seat comfort. Add that with Toyota/Lexus Reliabilty and you've got a superb deal.

Like v1p3r said, only if you can extend your budget, a 630d M-Sport or a E350d would make for great choices.
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks