Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2018, 17:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Luxury Car: INR 50-75L Bracket

Thank you guys for all your responses.

At the moment we're deciding which car to replace first - Etios or A6.

In fact, I've been toying with a couple of garage reshuffle ideas too, to see different options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Lambo - I'm in a similar dilemma as you & have seriously thought of the Lexus NX200. Did you give it a look? V.Narayan's Lexus thread has given me serious inspiration to consider Lexus, though I considered the same as him, ES300. However, I've seen that the backseat has limited underthigh support & if your dad is 6ft plus, I don't think he'll be pleased.

The reason I'm saying NX is because its a soft roader & parents aging will need a car with easier ingress/egress, plus hybrid - so silent as hell & won't suck the money out of wallet! My dad is in similar age bracket & I've seen him have a hard time getting out of sedans, he absolutely loves our good old Innova.

Do give the NX a look, I'm going to be home in September for a few days & am considering booking it. If you do go, do let me know what deals are available :P

Cheers
The ES headroom, seat height, and GC are average at best, hence it's not featured here on the list. Though I am waiting for the new ES to come too and take a call accordingly.

NX didn't seem great from what I've read, but a TD is pending. Ride quality was one moot point, and the rear didn't seem all that great either. But thank you for pointing it out - I should check it out.

But do keep me updated with what you're picking up eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

Better late than never. How much more and for how long can you flog this E/5/A6 segment?
Hahaha! Can't agree with you more personally, but getting dad to agree is a tough task!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
If you are happy with your current A6, why do you want to change it. The only option to get an upgrade will be a used A8/7 series type vehicle.

If it is a change for the sake of a change, just find the car that offers the best back seat comfort for your dad, given that he will be riding in the car 80 percent of the time and don't really worry about which brand it is unless the service threatens to be a nightmare
Thank You!
Brand isn't a big issue for him to be very honest, and the reason for an upgrade is more to do with the car's age + better ingress & egress.
The rear seat experience is of prime importance as you rightly said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID2997 View Post
As per your requirements,X5 is the clear winner.
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Interesting dilemma. If I were you, I would go for the X5 from this list. It’s a car from a segment above - and should have large discounts available which would make it less than 15% costlier than an undiscounted X3. As I see it, the key benefit for the X5 is the 30d engine - which would be a great treat for your dad if he is an enthusiast. None of the other cars (except perhaps the V90) will be a real step up from the A6, and in my view, buying an estate in India is a depreciation disaster.
Thank You! I want to TD the X5 DPE once to get an idea about it too.
As for depreciation - all the cars in this segment are a depreciation disaster! At the end of 6-7 years - its a couple of lakhs here or there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Aah, this thread is going to go on eh Lambo?

Knowing how you will want to keep the car for a while, I would suggest not to compromise in any way.

Even the 6GT, its really comfortable and feature packed. And the 30d will be great for when you are driving.

Otherwise, why not look at a slightly used S350d or a 730ld?
Haha! Ya bro, dad is quite keen to change the Etios / A6 since they're the oldest at home and both have their negatives. It's just a question of which one gets replaced first and with what - Etios options are Creta / Tucson, and A6 options are listed above. In fact, the Tucson is only thanks to your brilliant review!

My vote is for the 6GT to be honest.

As for the S/7 : You know why it won't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
You might be interested in checking out the ongoing mouth-watering deals on the BMW X5 through the Mumbai / Pune dealers.

I feel the BMW 6GT is perfectly suited to your requirements, as is the Volvo V90 and XC60. However, the V90 is too big a car for daily usage in a city like Mumbai.
Yes, the GLE is very imposing and I can totally see why Fortuner owners love it!

I am not too worried about the size of the V90, as dimensions seem fine at the moment. In fact, the 6GT and the E LWB may be a little more of a pain to drive.

The deals on the X5 are the only reason for us to consider it + nicer interiors, and engine than the GLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
If you are willing to go pre worshipped, you might just be able to get your fav luxury sedan- New gen 7 series. Might need to stretch your budget a bit but will be well worth it!
Thank You bro! I'd love the new 7 if I could get my hands on one, but dad isn't keen on the size of the car. I've been trying to convince him otherwise since a while as the car is simply fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Do a TD of new X3 if you / your dad not driving enthusiastically.

I am 6'2", and rear bench under thigh support is short supply for me. However front two seats are excellent. Ingress & egress height is just perfect for our seniors.

If you are looking for Estate cars (V90 CC or Merc E- AT) do note they are pretty long cars for every day handling / parking etc.

Cheers
Sail
Thank You!
This car will rarely be driven enthusiastically so engine isn't a consideration to be honest. Thanks for the strong recommendation - will definitely check this car out.
Unfortunately, under thigh support wasn't great in the X5 also, and neither was it in a few other SUVs we checked out. The 6GT actually had the nicest rear seat for taller folks if you're willing to compromise on the recline angle.
Parking isn't a concern 99% of the time, except when we have a party / function at home, when the car is generally parked on the side so to keep the driveway clear.
However, turning into the house is a little tricky with cars like the 7 / S - and moving it about within the building will not be everyone's cup of tea depending on what cars are scattered around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I would look at the V90 closely but take the 19" wheels for a better ride and durability.

However, considering the use is within Mumbai city, the Lexus might be better suited. 6GT - I have not seen any on the road so I guess it has bombed hence poor resale and maybe good discounts.
Thank You Sir, I have seen maybe two 6GTs on the road (including one that has been parked and covered in a layer of dust since a while!).
Since there is no time pressure, I am willing to wait for a hefty discount on their 2018 stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
My suggestion is V90 - decent height for ingress & egress and yet not as high has an SUV so would fit both parents. The new XC60 could also do but it has less legroom at the rear than the new E. You may also think of waiting for the new ES300h.
Thank You Sir! Dad is a very big fan of Volvo, and the V90 does tick all the boxes subject to a test drive. The XC60 is more because dad's been quite keen on going the SUV way - though if we end up replacing the Etios with a Tucson, this point may be not be required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will say head towards the nearest Lexus and give the advance for the new ES. The first lot will be here in August itself, you won't get anything more apt to the requirements you have mentioned in my opinion.

A small but Important point though - Your Dad being Tall, the rear seat might get tricky given the coupe-like rear on the newer ES.

I won't even consider an X5 irrespective of the discounts if someone needs to sit at the rear for long. The low bench and sort of bouncy suspension do not help.

If the ES does not appeal or does not look an upgrade from the A6, I will suggest another ride on the E class maybe with 6 Cylinder Diesel that has air suspension, the extra amount can be offset from the pleasure on the weekend spirited drives
Thank You Buddy!

The ES is a fantastic car for what we're looking for, no doubt.
However, as you rightly pointed out: Headroom is an issue, as is GC.
In fact, ingress & egress are key reasons for the upgrade though I will wait to check out the car since we aren't in any rush.
If we go the BMW way - I'll happily wait for a bit and pick up once their discount season starts.

As you rightly said - he isn't a big fan of pre-owned. He may understand and pick up an under-warranty, 5/6Kkm run car but that's about it.

Similarly, your views on the X5 are pretty spot on, though I thought the car came with air suspension standard. I drove the M-Sport which was pretty stiff in the city, but still have to see the DPE which comes with a softer adaptive suspension.

Will also check out the E350d, but paying an additional 12-13L just for an air suspension and better music system is pretty steep. I'm discounting the better and more refined engine because I will very rarely drive this car.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 17:58   #17
BHPian

This is the sort of dilemma I believe many here would love to be in.

As I read through your requirements, one of the voices in my head was shouting about EXACTLY one vehicle. Fortunately, you have included it in your list of considerations.

The V90 CC seems to be almost tailor made for you. As you rightly point out, the XC60 also fits the bill, but I believe the V90 CC has distinct advantages owing to the body style. But why should I even try, when there's Randy Pobst around to do the explaining?

But coming back to it, you get all the ground clearance, and none of the ingress issues. You get so much better driving dynamics as well. The only downside I can see is that they can't fit the special double wishbone suspension from the XC90 in the lower bonnet line.

It's a great package that suits your requirements the best - in a world where the very sensible (and in this case sexy) station wagon has gone out of favour. The only downside I can think of is that it makes its very adequate power from a puny 2.0L 4 cylinder. NVH is the only place it'll lose, IMO. If you hadn't already thought of that, do pay careful attention to it on your impending test drive. For my money, that'll probably be the only reason you don't find it your best fit.

Sure, air suspension SUVs can deflate their air suspension to pretend they're White Elephants kneeling down to allow royalty on, but you just don't need that extra bit of wear on an unreliable component with a station wagon on offer. Besides, I think within your range of options, the only air suspension SUVs available are the XC60 and the discounted but stiff riding X5 (not sure about this one). And however good sedans are, requirement 4 pretty much rules them out.

Other than the fact that I feel it's probably the best fit, Volvo have seriously upped their game, and the brand itself would be a big draw for me in this space.

I've always thought of it the other way round (Skoda = poor man's Volvo), but allow me to put it as, think of Volvo as premium Skoda - purely in terms of products, not levels of apathy in Indian management. I don't think Volvo will be a problem there (given what I've read in ownership reviews here).
Skoda's are cheaper (price only), better packaged (space and the "simply clever" touches), better equipped than their siblings/rivals. In my opinion, they're also better looking, and sufficiently well built (if not necessarily the best). They also have that safety record thingy.
And so are Volvos - cheaper (price only), better packaged (I think that's where Skoda stole a lot of it from), better equipped than their competition. Again, if we're to allow for subjectivity, they're about the best looking things around, inside and out. And I don't suppose anything needs to be said about Volvo vis a vis safety.

Happy shopping,
Yours sincerely,
A mildly envious man.

P.S. - Go station wagons!

Last edited by Mu009 : 30th July 2018 at 18:03. Reason: Semantics
Mu009 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 18:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
7 years up no? I would recommend keeping the A6 for another year or two as it's already depreciated and you are using it for free now. That's what we did with the C220.

But if you still want to replace it:

1. New E-Class. While you've already owned an E, 5 & A6, the long wheelbase is new and will make for a proper luxurious upgrade. This is what Ajmat had to say:

2. Pre-worshipped S-Class or 7-Series. You can get some really beautiful cars for 70 lakhs.

3. New Lexus ES.
Thank You Rush!

The new E Class is truly a brilliant car, no doubt! In fact, on the TD - my wife and friend in the back completely zoned out because of the stellar comfort.
However, I found the ride average and the under thigh support too was ok.

As you rightly said - we aren't in a rush to replace the A6, but just wanted to get some options (pros & cons) of each car in this segment to help out for when we do book / others in a similar predicament.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 00:11   #19
BHPian

A bit off your initial list but....

Given that you are brand agnostic, need a comfortable car with good quality interior and features and that you are immaterial to the shape of the car, I recommend you to wait for a while and hope that this news indeed comes out to be true:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...val-india.html

Extend the use of A6, as many have already recommended, for another year or so and see what Kia comes up with. If the Grand Carnival is not launched by then or if you don't like what is on offer (due to size, or any other factor) then you can always revisit your list and pick the best offer at that time.

The reason for recommending the Grand Carnival is the fact that I initially thought about the Crysta for your requirements - Comfort, Space, Reliability and Easy Ingress (compared to a standard SUV). But it doesn't satisfy you on your expected budget

Kia GC seems to be a good option if MUV body shape and size is not a sore point for you. I know it may not have that 'Image' as that of the German trio or the Swede Wagons but I hope Kia comes up with a surprise for us.

-Sunil

Last edited by sunilch : 31st July 2018 at 00:14.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2018, 11:43   #20
BHPian

I will leave a small birdie here. I just closed a deal on the w222 s class in that price range. should be delivered by next week. Just hunt for some deal on the s class around and you will thank me later! and I am also waiting on my model X delivery next week . Will put up a brief review for that by next week. S class will follow later when I get to drive it which is probably another month away.

Last edited by manson : 28th December 2018 at 03:49. Reason: Typo.
V12Doc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 15:38   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
The V90 CC seems to be almost tailor made for you. As you rightly point out, the XC60 also fits the bill, but I believe the V90 CC has distinct advantages owing to the body style.
Haha! Thank you for this brilliant post! I do agree with you - my top contenders are the 6GT & the V90 which I think will complement our existing garage very well, though dad wants either the X3/X5/XC60.
We've recently booked the Tiguan which should satisfy his needs for a crossover / SUV as it's more practical addition to our garage and for long trips.

Let's see how this pans out and will accordingly decide the A6 replacement in a few months once discount season starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
A bit off your initial list but....

Given that you are brand agnostic, need a comfortable car with good quality interior and features and that you are immaterial to the shape of the car, I recommend you to wait for a while and hope that this news indeed comes out to be true:

Extend the use of A6, as many have already recommended, for another year or so and see what Kia comes up with. If the Grand Carnival is not launched by then or if you don't like what is on offer (due to size, or any other factor) then you can always revisit your list and pick the best offer at that time.

-Sunil
I won't lie - while we aren't brand conscious so to say, I would still like a German not for anything else but because dad enjoys his cars. Heck, the A6 even after 7 years is still a really nice experience to sit / drive in the way it feels and cocoons you.

That and I am still pushing for a sedan / GT because I feel mom will hate getting into a high car and dad will hate being driven around in a large car. He is very particular given some of the areas he visits and general parking at home (one of the reasons the 7 isn't happening - he feels it's just too big but work in progress).

However, we have booked a Tiguan HL recently and are awaiting delivery. We will keep the A6 for a bit longer though and see how it works out with our first SUV/proper crossover at home before we decide what way to go for the new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
Ill leave a small birdie here. I just closed a deal on the w222 s class in that price range. should be delivered by next week. Just hunt for some deal on the s class around and you will thank me later! and I am also waiting on my model X delivery next week . Will put up a brief review for that by next week. S class will follow later when i get to drive it which is probably another month away
That's a fantastic price! Was this on a new W222 or a pre-owned one?
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 10:45   #22
BHPian

This is for a 4000km demo vehicle in almost mint condition. Seems like s class test drives go pretty decent!
V12Doc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 16:46   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ill leave a small birdie here. I just closed a deal on the w222 s class in that price range. should be delivered by next week. Just hunt for some deal on the s class around and you will thank me later! and I am also waiting on my model X delivery next week . Will put up a brief review for that by next week. S class will follow later when i get to drive it which is probably another month away
You got a W222 S-class in India in the bracket of 50-75 lakhs that was a 4000km demo?

Also, are you getting the Model X in India or abroad?

Last edited by manson : 28th December 2018 at 03:50. Reason: Typo.
Old 29th August 2018, 10:09   #24
BHPian

Yes about the s class. Model X is abroad
V12Doc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 12:13   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just closed a deal on the w222 s class in that price range. should be delivered by next week. Just hunt for some deal on the s class around and you will thank me later! a
Given the way, Mercedes India controls supplies, 4000 Km Demo @ 50-75 Lac seems to be way less than the current market position. This may be possible if, Car happens to be 2016 Model Year and is Unregistered, otherwise, something does not appear correct unless I am missing something.

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th August 2018 at 12:26.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 13:39   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Given the way, Mercedes India controls supplies, 4000 Km Demo @ 50-75 Lac seems to be way less than the current market position. This may be possible if, Car happens to be 2016 Model Year and is Unregistered, otherwise, something does not appear correct unless I am missing something.

I am being offered approx 80 lakhs for my mid 2015 S350 W222 done 25k kms
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 19:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
You are about right. Its 2017 though and its more like a steal at that price. The price is more on the lower side of the bracket

Last edited by manson : 28th December 2018 at 03:51. Reason: Typo.
Old 4th June 2019, 20:07   #28
BHPian

I'm in the same dilemma, visited the BMW showroom with my father today for the 530i M sport, and couldn't manage to divert his attention from the 6GT parked at the back

My father has the same problems, he's nearing 55 and doesn't want a low slung sedan as the car we buy now will be a long term buy and he wants a car in which it's easy to get in and out of.

I'm being offered a 630i Luxury line and a 530i M Sport, with the price of the 630i Luxury line being dearer by 2 lakhs only (after huge discounts).

I personally would love the 530i M Sport, but my father is very keen of the higher GC and the huge backseat area of the 6GT. I HATE the wheels offered on the 6GT, ruins the whole look of the vehicle. (Any alternatives for this problem?)

What would you guys suggest at this price point, considering it's between the 530i M Sport and the 630i Luxury Line and the price difference is around 2 lakhs.

Last edited by ampere : 4th June 2019 at 20:24.
Old 4th June 2019, 22:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
What would you guys suggest at this price point, considering it's between the 530i M Sport and the 630i Luxury Line and the price difference is around 2 lakhs.
Sounds like a good deal if I'm honest. It's a bigger car and probably more suited to your father's needs. As far as the wheels are concerned, the dealership should be able to get you better ones and install them before delivery. The 2L difference is honestly not *that* much considering you're spending upwards of ~60L on a car so it's better to pick the one you guys like the most without worrying about fixable issues like the wheels IMO.
Old 4th June 2019, 23:29   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the 630i any day. And yes do change the rims to a better design and upsize too.

What is the ex-showroom discounted price of the 630i luxury?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks