Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2019, 06:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 5-Series M-Sport : 30d or 30i dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovan View Post
I'm completely confused which one to go for since I was just informed that they have started bookings for the 530i M-Sport with lesser features than the 530d. The 530i sportline feels a bit shortchanged on the features but with the M-sport that aspect has changed.

What do you guys think? 30d or 30i?
1. Firstly if you're comparing these two cars, then understand that this is actually a 530d vs 520i comparison . The 530i is actually a 2.0 litre engine and BMW has wrung its neck to give you the power output of 248 Bhp whereas the 530d is a full blown 3 litre engine and the difference will be evident when you drive them both back to back. So don't fall for such foolery in naming conventions by automakers.

2. Secondly you're getting 80% more torque in the 30d .

3. Thirdly it's a 6 cylinder vs 4 cylinder.

As price points are not an issue here, just the 3 facts above should be enough to convince any enthusiast.
AMG Power is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 11:00   #17
BHPian

Sorry the reply took a while, still a little new at this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
You need to consider two aspects while choosing between 30d and 30i - Features and Drivetrain

However, if the price difference between the 530d and 530i is significant and you do not care about the heads up display and 4 zone AC, then 530i is a very good choice as well. The 30i is super refined and the engine note when you rev it to redline is just exhilarating. Check out the 530i ownership review by 84.Monsoon below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-530i-g30.html (My BMW 530i (G30)!)

In summary, you can't go wrong with either of the options. Choose according to your budget and feature preference.
The HUD is a huge feature to miss out on and after spending big bucks that is definitely something i was hoping for.

Was actively following 84.Monsoon's ownership report for a while. That was one of the things that even got me interested in the 30i.

What has your experience been with the engine in your 3GT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
A 6 cylinder is a 6 cylinder. The 530i will be great, but the 30d will be far more enjoyable with all the torque. If the price difference is within 3-4l I would definitely go for the 530d. If for some reason there is a large price difference, the 530i would be a good choice too. The heads up is the only big negative I see with the 30i in terms of features.

BTW why not consider the 330i M sport. Infinity in Mumbai had one for 36l ex showroom, and at that price its definitely worth considering. Not to mention the smaller 3 series chassis is great fun as you know, the 4 cylinder motor feels faster in the 3.

Edit - The f30 resale values have already gone for a bit of a toss. Why not just remap your 320d and hang on to it for a couple years. Then buy the G20. A 5 series will never be as much fun as a 3.
My mind was already decided on the 530d but these pushy sales guys i tell you, completely got me confused. It seems no one pan india is ready to give a test drive on a 330i or a 530i for that matter.

I also do like your option of holding on to the F30 for some time and probably end of this year go for the G20 330i since a 5 will never be as chuckable as the 3.

Any recommendations on a remap for the F30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Jetta/ Laura / Octavia class of cars are difficult to upgrade from. It is quite common to see people skip a segment (C/3/A4) and go for the next segment i.e. 5/E / crossovers like XC 60/X3/GLC. Jetta to 330i would have been a better upgrade . Anyway, now that you've had the 320d for just over a year, you would loose a lot selling or exchanging it so soon.

The 530d /530i are good cars but I don't see any sense in letting go of a 320d in less than a year! Unless you badly need the bigger car in terms of space and luxury, the 5 doesn't really warrant the additional 20 to 25 lakh outgo at this point. In terms of driving pleasure I am sure your 320d trumps the 5 whether its the 30d or the 30i.

If you want to quell that feeling of making a mistake with the 320d and want to get it over with, then it all depends on your usage. Only if your usage is predominantly highway I would recommend the 530d. 530i is the nicer car to live with on a daily basis and is no slouch either.
I definitely need the space, the rear seat although barely used but gets difficult for friends/ family on longer drives and the boot space with the spare wheel eating into it doesn't help either.

Usage is predominantly highway, 20k a year and I'm already due for my 4th service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
530d, any day week or month of the year! What is the price difference, better you tell us that for better advice. I would say pick the 2018 530d to bridge the gap but get the 6 cylinder for sure! It will feel like a worth upgrade from the 320d, the 530i will feel like a minor upgrade in power hence you will be left feeling pretty much as you did when you upgraded from the Jetta.
This week would be the right time to get a 2018 530d, bargain hard and bite the bullet or you will be back here next year feeling your 530i doesn’t feel much of an upgrade
The 30d 2018 now all sold out was at 59.xx and the 2019 at 61.20 while the 30i msport is at 58.xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
20k km a year definitely makes the case for a diesel. Plus, that 6-cylinder & ZF 8-speed combination is among the best worldwide. It is simply spectacular. The 530d will always leave you .

That said, even as a 530d owner & lover, I do miss high-revving a petrol & satiate that thirst with all the press cars that keep coming in. What's important is what you like more. Hence, do take a test-drive. If the 530i isn't available for a test, take a spin in the 330i that Akshay referenced above so you get a feel of the engine.

Decide after you drive. And do share an ownership report with us .
I'm inching more towards waiting it out till the G20 is launched, hopefully in the next couple of months Navnit or Infinity will have a test drive on a 530i/330i.

The question would arise then again, G30 530d or G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
The 530d wins on most counts when compared to the 530i. It depends on the price difference. If its not too much then I would go with the 530d. The sensatec dash on the 530d will make the car feel a notch better than the 530i. I also believe the Nappa leather is way better than the Dakota leather but the Dakota leather is easier to maintain and lasts longer.
its almost a 3 lac price difference. Nappa leather with the comfort seats definitely feels more 7 series than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Drive them both, you should get your answer.
Highly personal choice. Some people like diesels others hate it.
Feature set is another factor to consider. I detest this trend of not offering top variant on both engines.
You will find some low end lag in the 30i and it is also a bit less ooomph with 4 people. 30d doesn't have this problem, but the diesel smell, noise, and lack of fun redlining is why I'm off diesels.
30i will perform best with 97/99 fuel, which might be a hassle if no pump nearby stocks it.
I love the 28i in the 3er. Did not like the 30d in the x5.
Having always had a turbo diesel I'm a huge fan of the torque available with a diesel, Optra Magnum, Jetta 2.0 & now the 320d. I'm up for a 30i as well but not without a test drive which they can't arrange.

I actually quite liked it in the X5 and as a matter of fact when we went to test drive the 530d, we test drove the X5 and my Dad just booked it for himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
I am looking for an upgrade from my F30 320d soon as well. I noticed that you guys keep mentioning the juicy discounts on the 530d.

Can anyone help me figure out a ball park figure of how much discount I can push currently?
Infinity quoted me a 5 lac discount, 61.20 ex showroom for a 2019 one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
If the price difference is okay with you then get the 30d. In addition to that sweet 6 cylinder engine you get good-to-have features like HUD.

Also, if most of that 20k kms running is on highway then diesel makes sense as its better for cruising compared to 30i.
30d is just too sweet a motor to miss out on but I can't bear to lose out so much value on the F30 so thinking of waiting till June for the G20 but then again if the rear seat or boot space is similar then i might still go for the G30 then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Just to make matters more tough. BMW has launched the 530i in MSport edition.
Now the 530d & 530i are both in the right category of comparison. Except for a few features there is not much difference now.
Let us know what you decided.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...port-trim.html (BMW 530i now available in M Sport trim)

Attachment 1863127
Thats the main basis for my confusion! I'm inching towards waiting it out till the G20 is launched.
Old 29th March 2019, 16:27   #18
BHPian

I have a 2018 330i M-sport with a tuning box. Was driving the E90 320D (with tuning box) prior to that. Without the tuning box, the 330i power-wise definitely left one wanting for more (especially lack of low end torque) and the engine note quite subdued but post the tuning box and addition of ARMYTRIX Valvetronic exhaust, you will find the power to be enough. So if you plan on getting the 530i (same engine with more weight to lug around) be prepared for adding at least a tuning box else go for the 530D!

Also the biggest issue I have with the 330i M-sport is that the headlights are not FULL LED's, the 330i GT has full adaptive LED and the power output of the high beam is frankly not enough and gets difficult driving at night.
Ferrarimaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 16:32   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarimaniac View Post
I have a 2018 330i M-sport with a tuning box. ...

Also the biggest issue I have with the 330i M-sport is that the headlights are not FULL LED's, the 330i GT has full adaptive LED and the power output of the high beam is frankly not enough and gets difficult driving at night.
Wow. Good to meet you. I too have a 2018 330i M Sport Shadow Edition. I also find the high-beam lacking. BTW, not sure what you mean by "FULL LED's" - my car has both high and low beams as LEDs, but high beam seems weak. My GTI also has LEDs (both high and low beams) - stock lamps, no aftermarket, and those seem much brighter than 330i.
Old 29th March 2019, 16:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow. Good to meet you. I too have a 2018 330i M Sport Shadow Edition. I also find the high-beam lacking. BTW, not sure what you mean by "FULL LED's" - my car has both high and low beams as LEDs, but high beam seems weak. My GTI also has LEDs (both high and low beams) - stock lamps, no aftermarket, and those seem much brighter than 330i.
By Full LED's I meant in the 330i's the projector moves to create hi-beam throw whereas in the 330i GT (adaptive) there is a dedicated array of LED's for the hi-beam thus making it brighter/stronger. You can physically see the difference if you park your car next to a 330i GT.

Unfortunately nothing can be done about this (I have explored all options with BMW) and they missed out on adding such an important spec. It is dangerous to drive at night with such weak hi-beams IMO.
Old 29th March 2019, 16:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By Full LED's I meant in the 330i's the projector moves to create hi-beam throw whereas in the 330i GT (adaptive) there is a dedicated array of LED's for the hi-beam thus making it brighter/stronger. You can physically see the difference if you park your car next to a 330i GT.

Unfortunately nothing can be done about this (I have explored all options with BMW) and they missed out on adding such an important spec. It is dangerous to drive at night with such weak hi-beams IMO.
Yes, It's inadequate, I agree. Good to see a candid opinion like this. I see many 320d owners reporting that headlights are good, which they are not.

What's your opinion on the steering? I feel there is a slight vagueness near center and in Sport mode, at times, it has some erratic feel.
Old 29th March 2019, 16:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, It's inadequate, I agree. Good to see a candid opinion like this. I see many 320d owners reporting that headlights are good, which they are not.

What's your opinion on the steering? I feel there is a slight vagueness near center and in Sport mode, at times, it has some erratic feel.
I agree there is a dead spot in the steering on comfort mode but it weighs up nicely on sport mode. I mostly drive on sport/sport+ where I have not encountered any erratic behaviour till date.

Check your tire pressures; I maintain 34 PSI (nitrogen) and haven't gotten a single puncture till date (13K driven so far).

Hope it helps.
Old 29th March 2019, 17:16   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree there is a dead spot in the steering on comfort mode but it weighs up nicely on sport mode. I mostly drive on sport/sport+ where I have not encountered any erratic behaviour till date.

Check your tire pressures; I maintain 34 PSI (nitrogen) and haven't gotten a single puncture till date (13K driven so far).

Hope it helps.
Ok, good input. Recently I drove from Ahmedabad to Pune and was in Sport mode for quite a while and the steering response was a bit erratic a few times. I will try Sport again on a smooth road surface. I will try Sport+ soon which I haven't as I have only covered 3000km so far. I will update.
Old 29th March 2019, 17:30   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok, good input. Recently I drove from Ahmedabad to Pune and was in Sport mode for quite a while and the steering response was a bit erratic a few times. I will try Sport again on a smooth road surface. I will try Sport+ soon which I haven't as I have only covered 3000km so far. I will update.
Between Sports and Sports+ modes, I don't think you will find any difference in steering feel. In Sports+, the DSC is turned off. Otherwise, everything else is same as Sports mode.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 23:45   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Otherwise, everything else is same as Sports mode.
Ok, in order to focus solely on steering, I changed the configuration of Sport mode from "Drivetrain and Chassis" to "Chassis". And drove in Sport mode on the way back from office, so got a chance to observe the Sport mode steering at slow speeds without unnecessary urgency from the engine/gearbox. The vagueness at center is reduced considerably. So this is a decent solution/workaround.

BTW, regarding acceleration:
There is a 2km detour on my way home that's a relatively empty stretch of 4-lane divided road. I sometimes take that to unwind the car. Today, I took this road and switched to Sport+ and wow the way she pulled. Crazy! That low end turbo lag vanished and I was pinned to the seatback like it happens when a plane takes off! Paisa wasool!!

So now I can use the following:
- Eco Pro: when fuel reserve light starts glowing :-)
- Comfort: when parking or reversing or navigating out of tight spaces
- Sport: for regular driving (because steering is now heavy and tight but engine and gearbox are relaxed)
- Sport+: when in mood for spirited driving

Now I desparately need some solution for the weak high beam!

Thanks guys! Keep sharing
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 12:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Now I desparately need some solution for the weak high beam!
Quote:

Maybe an unconventional, but a cost effective solution is to replace your LED headlights with the Pre-LCI xenons. I have them and they are absolutely fantastic, both in low and in high beams.

BMW messed up royally with the really cheap reflector based design for the 3 series instead of utilizing an LED projector. Not only did they miss on that, they use a measly 14 / 22W low / high LED bulbs (in the non-adaptive model), which is insanely low wattage. This reflects in headlamp testing results as well, which show that the LED reflectors deliver illumination comparable to HALOGEN reflector headlights!

Compare the LED headlights results here to the halogen headlights for the 3 series.
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...n/2016#jump-to

And then compare them to the fantastic Xenons here for the 2 series (I couldn't find any 3 series review with Xenons, as BMW had gone all LED/Halogen by the time IIHS started testing headlights)

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...e/2017#jump-to

Last edited by d3mon : 13th May 2019 at 12:53.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 12:59   #27
BHPian

Hey, I was looking at the 530i and was really interested, however, what is the real mileage I can get if I tend to have a heavy foot on the accelerator when on clear stretches and I drive in the city a lot?
Thanks
Old 21st May 2019, 10:25   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Maybe an unconventional, but a cost effective solution is to replace your LED headlights with the Pre-LCI xenons. I have them and they are absolutely fantastic, both in low and in high beams.

BMW messed up royally with the really cheap reflector based design for the 3 series instead of utilizing an LED projector. Not only did they miss on that, they use a measly 14 / 22W low / high LED bulbs (in the non-adaptive model), which is insanely low wattage. This reflects in headlamp testing results as well, which show that the LED reflectors deliver illumination comparable to HALOGEN reflector headlights!
Yes, my 330i high beam is not bright enough. I am going to try and adjust it vertically to point it farther up and see it helps. If the actual intensity of the LED itself is lower than the ones used in the adaptive ones (e.g. in the 3GT), then I will simple ask the dealer to install those GT LEDs in mine.

Overall, it's pathetic of BMW to install inferior lights in the newer car compared to older car. And unforgivable at this price point.
Old 21st May 2019, 10:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, my 330i high beam is not bright enough. I am going to try and adjust it vertically to point it farther up and see it helps. If the actual intensity of the LED itself is lower than the ones used in the adaptive ones (e.g. in the 3GT), then I will simple ask the dealer to install those GT LEDs in mine.
Adjusting is super easy. There are philips head screws available for doing that by just opening up the bonnet. However the Low and the High beams move together as a sealed unit, which has the potential to mess up your low beam.

Do the adaptive headlights use reflector based LEDs as well? Even if they do, and even if the bulb fits, the chances of the dealer agreeing to such a swap are minimal at best, unfortunately, as they can't take up the liability of something going wrong due to the additional loads on the existing wiring.
Old 22nd January 2020, 16:37   #30
BHPian

Hi guys, as per your suggestions used my 320d for another year (2 years/ 30,000 kms) and have just put it up for sale. Usage has changed a bit since I have temporarily shifted base to Bangalore, with a quarterly Bangalore-Bombay return trip and city travel in and around Bangalore, so around 15-18k/ year.

Last year my confusion was relatively lower with just 2 options but now with the increase in prices and options i have added a couple of more to my list.

I considered the following cars and would like to finalise before March:

1. Audi A6 45 TFSI
Definitely looks very fresh and fitment is one notch above BMW I may say. A decent drive, but with a weird low end lag till about 2500 rpm, but they have the pricing all wrong. 73 on road Mumbai with almost no discounts on offer, so a complete no.

2. BMW 330i G20
Absolutely a blast to drive specially the way the exhaust sounds in Sports mode, and is slightly better in terms of rear legroom and boot space but I don't think it justifies the 57 on road tag unnegotiated.

3. BMW 530i M sport
Managed to have a test drive and loved the refinement of the engine and its seriously fun, but I get what you guys said about not being a direct comparison between the 30i & 30d. Priced around 67 on road after discounts.

4. BMW 530d M sport
No real deals available but 4-5 lac discount possible while finalising.

5. Skoda RS245
Since its confirmed i wouldn't mind waiting for it but then again would it really be an upgrade from the 3?

6. Other options
Since there is time i am open to other suggestions.

I'm using the X5 for the time being so have experienced the 30d engine a fair bit and would love to go for the 530d but the price difference on a new 5 is almost 7-8 lac between the petrol and the diesel.
But then again the thought that it would be difficult to sell a 80-90k run 530i 5-6 years down the line.

I am open to go the pre-owned route as well but haven't seen too many well priced ones available. Haven't come across a single 530i till now just a few 530d's, BMW certified has a few but most seem to be dealer/demo/media ones.
Also does it make sense to go for a F10 now or stick to the G30?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks