Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2020, 10:32   #1
BHPian

The most comfortable SUV <50 lakh?

Hey guys,
My father has been looking to replace our aging Audi Q5 3.0 TDI 2010 with a more comfortable SUV. The car is still in immaculate condition and the only reason that he's looking to change the car is his dislike of the overall stiff ride/suspension. We have tried changing tire pressures, tires etc but to no avail and have decided to change the car. Below are the requirements -
1. Back seat comfort
2. New or Used - Open to both options but can only source from cities near Jaipur
3. Price ideally <50 lakhs but willing to stretch a bit.
4. Driving dynamics not a priority.
5. Ideal Size - Q5 size or bigger
6. Diesel preferred.

I have been looking at preowned BMW X5s but nothing else comes to mind, Looking forward to hearing your valuable advice
dealer is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 10:39   #2
BHPian

re: The most comfortable SUV <50 lakh?

Since backseat comfort is of the highest priority, how about getting a Pre owned Endeavour. The only thing it lacks is the badge value, more than making up for it in literally everything else. Other SUVs that come to mind are the X3, XC60, Discovery Sports. In the same preferential order for me.
Abhi5868 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 11:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi5868 View Post
Since backseat comfort is of the highest priority, how about getting a Pre owned Endeavour. The only thing it lacks is the badge value, more than making up for it in literally everything else. Other SUVs that come to mind are the X3, XC60, Discovery Sports. In the same preferential order for me.
Thanks for reminding me of the Endeavour. I've added both the MG Gloster and the Endeavour into my consideration. I'm not a fan of the XC60 and am also not willing to endure the service horrors of owning a JLR so those are out of the equation. Regarding the X3, I've always heard that the X5 is a more comfortable vehicle so I'm biased towards it.
dealer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 11:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Since you haven't mentioned anything about badge value

1) Toyota Innova Crysta.
2) Kia Carnival
3) Skoda Kodiaq - not sure about ride stiffness.

You can ignore them if your dad is looking for something that appeals to the heart as well.
Turbohead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 11:23   #5
BANNED

Getting a new Q5 is a good option as I have heard that Audi has soften up the suspension of the new Q5 by a noticeable margin. But if Q5 is not on your list then I would say that you go for a pre-owned X5. The BMW is huge in size and that translates into a lot of legroom which the Q5 can't hope to match. I do agree with Abhi5868 as he recommended you to get an endeavour.

Hope this helps,
Thanks.
Tachyonites.

Happy hunting
Tachyonites is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 11:30   #6
BHPian

I think GLC might be a good option to consider. I don't know how comfortable the GLC is in particular but Karan561 in his review of the new GLS mentioned Mercedes makes one of the best rear seats in its class.

So, maybe GLC might be the best bet for you.
sv97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 11:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Since you haven't mentioned anything about badge value

1) Toyota Innova Crysta.
2) Kia Carnival
3) Skoda Kodiaq - not sure about ride stiffness.
We already have a Innova Crysta in our stable and I am not looking for a large people carrier per se so the Kia Carnival isn't being considered. Will definitely look at the Kodiaq though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyonites View Post
Getting a new Q5 is a good option as I have heard that Audi has soften up the suspension of the new Q5 by a noticeable margin. But if Q5 is not on your list then I would say that you go for a pre-owned X5.
Will test out the Q5 too. Hopefully Audi updates the India version soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
So, maybe GLC might be the best bet for you.
I've test driven the GLC some time back and also the GLE. The GLE comfort levels weren't matched by the GLC. Will take a look at the both of them too but the GLE is quite expensive at the moment.
dealer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 14:11   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Below are the requirements -
1. Back seat comfort
2. New or Used - Open to both options but can only source from cities near Jaipur
3. Price ideally <50 lakhs but willing to stretch a bit.
4. Driving dynamics not a priority.
5. Ideal Size - Q5 size or bigger
6. Diesel preferred.
The Merc E-class can be considered if you and your dad are fine with a sedan. It fits all your requirements (except the size - Q5 or bigger).
The fantastic BS6 diesel engine is very refined and the backseat is heavenly. The backseat has tremendous amounts of space and the suspension is superbly tuned for our roads.
Electrically adjustable seats and many other creature comforts are sure to keep people happy in the E-class.
Tachyonites is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 15:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hola!

Going through your list of requirements, the first car that came to my mind was the X5. As large (or larger) than the Q5, very comfortable, and just ticks all your requirements to the T. You're right to put it near the top of your list.

Allow me to make a contrarian pick, but one that also suits your requirements near perfectly; the latest iteration of the Camry Hybrid. It is incredibly comfortable, very fuel efficient thanks to Toyota's hybrid wizardry. I know, I know, it's not an SUV. But it does tick everything else off that list.

Edit: Forgot about the upcoming Citroen C5. It'll be properly comfort oriented. Worth looking at, maybe?

Last edited by iliketurtles : 31st October 2020 at 15:35. Reason: Addendum
iliketurtles is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 15:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

A used Land Cruiser Prado should fit the bill and serve you for many trouble free years
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 15:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyonites View Post
The Merc E-class can be considered if you and your dad are fine with a sedan. It fits all your requirements (except the size - Q5 or bigger).
Thanks for your suggestion but sedans are out of the question. My father likes to sit higher up and coupled with the ground clearance worries, sedans are not being looked at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Hola!

Going through your list of requirements, the first car that came to my mind was the X5. As large (or larger) than the Q5, very comfortable, and just ticks all your requirements to the T. You're right to put it near the top of your list.

Allow me to make a contrarian pick, but one that also suits your requirements near perfectly; the latest iteration of the Camry Hybrid. It is incredibly comfortable, very fuel efficient thanks to Toyota's hybrid wizardry. I know, I know, it's not an SUV. But it does tick everything else off that list.

Edit: Forgot about the upcoming Citroen C5. It'll be properly comfort oriented. Worth looking at, maybe?
Will be taking a look at the X5 soon. Sedans are not being considered but your suggestion of a Citroen C5 is certainly unique, will take a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
A used Land Cruiser Prado should fit the bill and serve you for many trouble free years
The interiors of a Prado are not to mine or my father's taste thus it isn't considered.
Old 31st October 2020, 23:27   #12
BHPian

Apart from the usual suggestion of x5 and glc, why don't you consider cross country station wagons, namely v90 cross country and e class all terrain. They full fill the need of GC and a suitable high seating. Also, I'm sure massive discounts are available on these 2 low selling models.
Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 17:21   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The most comfortable SUV <50 lakh?

First suggestion would be the Carnival - its built for chauffeur-driven folk. The middle row is super comfortable & its loaded with features.

Second would be the Endeavour. The 2019 update softened the suspension even more and its really, really comfy. Also check out the Kodiaq which has a sorted suspension. But really, the Carnival is more comfortable than any 1-crore SUV, forget 50-lakhs.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 17:50   #14
Team-BHP Support

Unless you can increase budget, the only option that I see is that he start sitting on the front seat in the Q5.

There is no SUV, other than GLE/ GLS or an X7 that has an Air Suspension and an adjustable rear seat. Don’t bother looking at X5, new or old. Those have horrible rear seats. Until 2019, XC60 user to have Air suspension but I have no idea about rear seat, in case you are open to Pre-own do check this option. Newer ones don’t get unless they have reintroduced.

Fortuner or Endeavour rear bench are a pain. There won’t be any good LC Prado in the market and even if you get, it has okish rear seats. LC-200 is the one to go but these will be around 1 cr mark.

So, if you can’t increase budget and must sit in rear, the only options will be Kia as GTO suggested or adding another Innova, say Petrol for a change. Take a test drive of the Petrol and it may change his views.
Turbanator is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 13:42   #15
BHPian

You are in one fine dilemma. Since you are also open to used cars - finding the right one to fit your criteria wouldn't be a big problem while not over shooting the budget.

So far the choice seems to be pretty clear - GLE.

It is much more comfortable and seems spacious than the Q5.

X5 wouldn't give you the same level of plushness as the GLE would.
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks