Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car for a 25-year old?
New 340i 174 65.17%
Used Mustang 93 34.83%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2021, 10:38   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW M340i vs a pre-owned Ford Mustang GT

Personally for me, it would be a no brainer. The Mustang may get you some extra attention with the bodystyle and the roaring v8, but once you get past that the only thing it really offers you better than the M340i are the ventilated seats in the front.

The 340i offers a better drive, better refinement, better tech and is arguably more practical. The 340i certainly isn't a decision from the head, and is a super fun machine. This would be my pick without thinking twice, and my age isn't too different from yours so I can relate.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 10:44   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Two very different cars. Way way to much rationale in all the suggestion in my opinion

BMW are excellent cars, but don’t stand out from the crowd. You will just be the next guy who made good. People will think you work in IT and your title is something ridiculous like Super exclusive Vice President of non relevant stuff.

If you are in a position to buy a nice Mustang always go for it. Nobody, ever, has bought a Mustang based on any rationale arguments. Only the Corvette is even less rational.

Mustangs are for people who fall in love with it, despite all its short falls (and there are plenty).

If you are looking for any rational in buying a Mustang, it ain’t gonna happen.

Buying a Mustang over the BMW sets you aside from 99,99% of (BMW) car owners. Go crazy, go for the “Stang”. When you take delivery make sure your iPod has every version of “Mustang Sally”.

Put your shades on, driver window down, elbow out, Mustang Sally on full blast, give it the beans.
Jeroen
That's a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Every BMW owner will go green with envy. Because that is what they secretly wanted, but did not have the balls to do.
Jeroen
May be this could be reasonably true in the Indian market but from what I have seen in Australia that's not true.

The Mustang is priced ridiculously in India and it seems to rub shoulders with the BMW 340i. The Mustang GT Coupe is in the A$70-80K range and the cheapest M340i is A$40K away or costs ~50% more than the Mustang GT.

It's a no-brainer if the OP was in the USA or Australia. He'd be paying so much lesser for the Mustang GT and that'll justify it over a BMW sedan. But 6 million rupees for a used Mustang GT looks like day light robbery to my eyes. I can accept if it's for a Porsche.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 11:13   #33
BHPian

I think it's purely a Head vs. Heart decision this one. As GTO said in the very beginning - everyone always wanted a Mustang 🐎 at some point in their life. The 340i is too mature IMO, almost sterile compared to the Mustang.

Personally, there are only a few sounds that made an impression on my ears as an enthusiast - Ferrari V12, Chevy small-block, GT3RS 4.0, BMW S54 and that one 5.0 COYOTE Mustang that I heard in Berkeley California. That V8 can sound so good with the right exhaust, it will give a 340i manhood crisis.
shree_shell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 11:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

The galloping horse would be my pick.

As iconic an M340i is today, it is going to be forgotten with every new iteration of the "3" that BMW releases.

On the other hand, the Mustang is timeless as a brand and in its design. It is the last of the big block non turbo V8's and should last a lifetime. The Stang is a legend.

In a few years, both these cars will probably be done and dusted with their gas engines so you might as well buy the one that ticks your heart strings the most.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th July 2021 at 11:34.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 11:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-TownBeast View Post
Introduction-
Ford Endeavour 3.2 (2017) and Mahindra Thar Crde (2016) used by me. So the itch for a new car has started (me being a car enthusiast in the family) and I am selling both of my personally used vehicles to make way for an F-A-S-T car. I'm currently confused between the BMW M340i and the used Ford Mustang.
You are used to SUVs, a transition to a car like MUSTANG, will be hard. The Mustang scrapes all large speed breakers and potholes in Mumbai.

Its worse than a Civic in my view!
Old 7th July 2021, 11:29   #36
BHPian

Since this car will most likely be your daily driver, the M340i makes way better sense.
If it was just a weekend toy, then I would have suggested you to go for the used Mustang or better yet, a used Porsche Cayman.

On a side note, since you are replacing two SUVs with this car, why not replace them with another SUV? Maybe a BMW X3?
TheGearBox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 11:56   #37
BHPian

Surprised myself with this one honestly by voting for the Mustang. As I was pondering the decision, a brilliant review by Jeremy Clarkson of a wholly different car settle it for me!

Clarkson drove the inimitable Disco Volante in the incredible hills of South Tirol in Italy, crossing the unbelievably beautiful Passo Pordoi (a year later I'll google this only hint from the video - a sign reading Passo Pordoi - and end up retracing the route, ironically, in a rental BMW and be wowed by a relatively less traversed part of Europe).

His exact words: "Last week Richard drove the 4C and frankly I was jealous - that's like the Angel Gabriel. But I'm not jealous now because this - this is the full baby Jesus......as a tool for making you feel special, nothing compares"

That's the defining characteristic for me on this decision here. What makes you feel special. And that...undoubtedly is the Mustang.

And let me make this even weirder. I'd still pick the BMW 10/10. I'm just a sucker for incredible engineering. And frankly, as much as the Americans appeal to ones emotion, the sheer perfection that makes just everything in a German machine click gives me goosebumps! But I'd recommend the Mustang 10/10!

"Simple Man" - Kent Lobo.

Last edited by Annibaddh : 7th July 2021 at 12:03. Reason: grammar
Annibaddh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 12:12   #38
BHPian

Welcome aboard, I hail from Hisar aswell, never drove the BMW 340i but sure i have had my hands on 530d and the mustang aswell quite a few times. The mustang sure is 2 seater at best and lacks the comforts of a bimmer but hey, you’ve got a whole life ahead to get a luxury sedan. A Mustang would really be a bold statement to drive in your 20’s as later in the 30’s I would be quiet impossible to keep one owing to a family of your own.
If i were you I’d surely pick the Mustang. I have a friend who daily drives a mustang. Fuel finances are a bummer though.
Slickshift99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 15:26   #39
BHPian

Mustang bro! Anytime, any day!

I am a super satisfied BMW customer owning a 530D(G30) but my heart still yearns for a Mustang. I think you can live 5 years with a slightly impractical, but extremely exiting car.

You have a big fleet in the family, so I'm sure you can borrow someone else's car for the few times that the Mustang won't suit. At your age, just go with your heart. There's plenty of time for fast sedans later.

Also a tip, I already know a few people eyeing the Mustangs at BBT. They don't stay around too long. So make a quick decision.
Old 7th July 2021, 15:29   #40
BHPian

Voted for Mustang. You will be 25 only once. Sleeper cars are for older folks (like me) who just want to sneak out at night and feel like 20. You don't need that.

And for that last standing NA V8 5L.
Old 7th July 2021, 16:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

You have one life. You can spend it being practical, or being happy. They are not always related.

A BMW might make you happy. It's practical, it's precise, it's all things to all men and women.

A Mustang might make you crap your pants. It's loud, it's wild, it's tail happy, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

If you drive a BMW, you'll spend time explaining to people why your car isn't actually like the 320d yellow-board that the hotel sends to pick guests up from the airport.

If you drive a Mustang, young women and men will mob you at parties, at hotel porches, at mall parking lots, asking you many questions, and sometimes for your phone number. In my experience, it's mostly men, and sometimes small boys.

There is a beautiful clip from the original Transformers movie that sums it up rather nicely -

Fifty years from now, when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get the large, ludicrous V8?
v1p3r is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 17:06   #42
BHPian

Let me take you to a different direction, I drive Macan 2.0 and I always had the same dilemma practical vs sports, I am quiet satisfied with sports chrono package as I don't see any sense of buying something which we can't ride with full peace of mind in India
Still if you wish for more power Macan S 3.0 falls under your budget
This is best of both worlds
a4_attitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 18:11   #43
AZT
BHPian

Growing up I always dreamt of owning a convertible one day, wouldn't have been practical but hey when are dreams ever. I'd say go for the Mustang or one of the Porsche's suggested in the comments above. You're 25 man, roll into a club with your Mustang and grab that attention.
Old 7th July 2021, 18:54   #44
BHPian

After hearing the news 'Electric Ford Mustang outsells petrol Mustang for the first time ever!', I think you should choose the Mustang for that NA V8. It's a good time to pick this up before it becomes too difficult to find a good pre-owned one few years down the line, especially in a country like India.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...time-ever.html (Electric Ford Mustang outsells petrol Mustang for the first time ever!)

Just my 2 cents.
Old 7th July 2021, 18:58   #45
RMN
BHPian

The Mustang is actually a hoot to drive. All the comments about it just being a straight line car can be irrelevant depending on ones driving style & needs. Honestly, out on the streets it doesn't matter all that much.

So I would say, its down to preference and needs. I've driven the previous generation of the Mustang and Hellcat in India and I've enjoyed the fun and GC it offers. Want a fast + precise sleeper, people mover and an interior that makes you feel plush? The Beemer. Want something fast, fun & crazy - the mustang.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks