Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2021, 13:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Choosing a car for a flickering mind | M340i vs S5 vs 530d vs GLC43

I think everybody has covered the M340i which would personally be my pick as I love the driving dynamics of all BMWs when compared to their German counterparts.

But let me add another suggestion. Why not take a look at the A35 AMG? Sure its not a C43 but its got plenty power, more than a standard 330i and less than a 340i but is cheaper than a 340i. I have TD'ed one and it stays planted to the ground and picks up well. Its got the newer MBUX system and has the sedan feel and driving dynamic. Its not as large but for a couple it will be fun to drive and comes in a lovely denim blue color. They're even coming with the A45 hatch but Im not sure if you're looking for a hot hatch.
rbp25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 13:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
When you say it ought to sound good and you aren't open to used options, I feel the GLC43 is the perfect choice. It is a do it all practical type of car as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk997 View Post
My suggestion would be to go for the GLC 43, which has the added bonus of practicality. Go for the M340i if the driving dynamics of a sedan are more important to you than the practicality of an SUV.
Agree that GLC wins on the go-anywhere aspect. But I am hoping that with the sedans too, I will be able to cover 80-90% of my target destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Take advantage of it and go for a niche vehicle instead of a family sedan/SUV.Just have to look for a car with a sensible spare tire options if you are doing long distance touring. Spare tire is the only red flag to take care of.
You definitely inspired me there Some of what you mentioned definitely resonates with my original emotions behind purchasing the car. I went back and did some more research on Z4 but the low profile tires and boot space leave some open questions in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice position to be in . Congrats in advance, man.

In your shoes, I would go for the M340i.
Thanks , I hope I do end up buying something. Some of my friends have just lost hope that I will ever be able to conclude on one. FE is definitely a valid point, but probably something I can live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri_patetic99 View Post
I feel the GLC is outdated and you will miss out on the newly updated mbux system that is present even in lower segment cars like the A-class.
Alternatively, if you do want the extra seats, you could have a look at the 6 series GT M-sport which I believe is cheaper than the GLC.
Yes, I was also factoring in the outdated mbux system in GLC. I did look at the 6 series, but didn't feel like justifying the extra worth over 530d for our use-case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That M340 is the Press/ Demo car, many of our members too must have driven it. Stay away from this 8000 Km Demo cars irrespective how lucrative the prices they do.

I am not a fan of VW/ Audi and since this is going to be daily drive car for OP plus long distance car, I will not at all consider S5.
Thanks for the suggestion. Seems like S5 is not winning this poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShandilya View Post
True, most people will see it as a regular 3 series but for every car guy out there you’ll have their respect
Haha, that's a great point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
For me, its definitely M340i. I have booked the M340i in August, and am eagerly awaiting delivery.
I am now willing to take the car even without the touchscreen.
Congratulations on the booking. Are they taking out the touchscreens from the Indian models too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My personal pick would be the Audi S5. It looks flash and goes like a rocket. The Quattro system holds it down like a leech. That coupe (Or Sportback in Audi language) profile is simply unmatched to the other cars on your list (the exception being the C43). There is no substitute for this car when it comes to looks. The only negative I can think of is space and practicality. It sits real low and considering you're going to have your folks visit from time to time, they may need help to step out of an S5.
In my experience, the seating in S5 actually felt higher than the M340i and overall more practical due to the bigger boot space and also more premium touch and feel of materials (lacks on some of the features though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV17 View Post
The 530d makes more sense practically as it is a segment above, offers good performance and comfort and is frugal too, being a diesel. But Hey, it doesn't appeal to the heart like the M340i does
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOMAN View Post
Well , you can never go wrong with any BMW. But coming from an BMW 530d owner which is 9 years old nothing beats the reliability of a diesel heart and the n57n inline six diesel is just fantastic . As GTO mentioned long drives in a diesel are still a preferred choice due to practicality.
Agree that 530d is probably the most complete car of this list, just the itch to go for something funkier is forcing me to look beyond it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucliomaniac View Post
In this Order

a) 530d - The Last of a breed (will last 20 years, and will grow on you, like a marriage)
b) Mx340i - Obviously the Pure choice (but wont last 20 years. Hard suspension will bore you. India doesn't have the right roads to enjoy it)
c) Z4 - to have fun

I also agree with the previous posters, keep the Octavia, Postpone the Thar
Thanks, some of the suggestions have inspired me to start my research on Z4 to see if I can live with its shortcomings (still seems a bit stretch based on my initial read).
Good point on the longevity but I am probably willing to compromise a bit on the overall longevity of the car over other factors.
animeshc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 13:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeshc View Post
Hello,

Just to summarize the long confusing thread, the choice is between M340i and S5 (~ 10L more than the 340i), outside contenders are the GLC43 and 530d. Please suggest

Also just for additional context, our current ride is an Octavia and we aren’t looking at the used options as of now.
Let me simplify your choices and offer a few more as i understand your needs from your post:

M340i -
This car is for the people who prioritise acceleration times, driving dynamics over everything else. So i would like to say that this car is for someone who wants a porsche sports car (for their incredible driving dynamics not just for the form factor) but cant afford it or doesnt want the attention that comes with it. The suitable buyer of this car will not even consider any other option around that price bracket as he knows that none can provide those acceleration times and driving dynamics. GTO, myself and a few more fit into this category.

GLC43 AMG -
This car will satiate the buyer who has requirements similar to M340i but who needs to travel to places where M340i wont go due to its gound clearance.

530d -
This car is for someone who has similar requirements like M340i buyer but he is willing to trade some performance and drama (sound) for the added practicality (like diesel efficiency-range, space and higher quality interiors)

If you are after S5 for the form factor, i will suggest you to get a Mini Cooper S instead and retain your octavia for all the practical requirements.

But as i understand the requirements from your post, my suggestion is to consider 6 GT 630d instead of a 530d because -
1. It has air suspension which will allow you to raise the ground clearance whenever needed.
2. It will stand out in the crowd with its form factor and its even more practical for touring in terms of space.

So to conclude, i will suggest you to go for either M340i, 6GT 630d or GLC 43 AMG depending on identifying what kind of a driver you are and what kind of practicality you are looking for. I hope this will clarify your confusion.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 16th November 2021 at 13:54.
46TheDoctor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 16:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post

M340i -
The suitable buyer of this car will not even consider any other option around that price bracket as he knows that none can provide those acceleration times and driving dynamics. GTO, myself and a few more fit into this category.
How true. I bought M340i without a test-drive or without even seeing it in real. Look no further if you liked it and if still available, colour options, zero discounts are of concerns here. I think we spoke about the comfort levels earlier.

530D, of course it adds practicality over M340i in terms of FE and comfort, however I have seen friends struggling in Bangalore bad roads due to it longer wheelbase.
A friend of mine who thought of buying M340i picked GLC43AMG and he is always making fun of how I struggle with humps in Bangalore. so you know how that car is better in bad roads.
RakishRam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 23:27   #20
BHPian

BMW 530D is more plush and driver oriented than Audi S5. Again Mercedes AMG wins hands down. I would go for either the BMW 340i or the Mercedes. With age, Audi cars show issues with water pump failure, air suspension etc.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 00:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Just to summarize the long confusing thread, the choice is between M340i and S5 (~ 10L more than the 340i), outside contenders are the GLC43 and 530d. Please suggest
Hi Animesh,
Nice to see your thread here. We had spoken a short while ago. Being an owner of the '21 M340i, I would vouch for it all the way!

Just brings oodles of joy and smiles everytime I take it for a spin. Be it normal errands or a highway drives.

Given your age, perspective and prerogative, I would say, Just Go for it, you won't regret it.
nikhilarni is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 07:50   #22
BHPian

I was in the same boat 2 years back (31 then, close enough) . Evaluated all these options before picking up xf.

- 530d has harsh ride and tyres are not made for Indian conditions. My brother drives one, he's very choosy about the roads he's take it
- S5 will be a all rounder, barring space constraints. You get 5 years warranty on any car and i don't think reliability is a concern
- GLC is not for your age
- can't comment on m340. However, it's another bmw with good acceleration
- Do try Jaguar products, they are awesome on handling, you don't get that steering in any cars under 2cr, plush ride
noufal.ps is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 16:03   #23
BHPian

From your list, my pick would be M340i which is a much better BMW than the 530d (my personal opinion though).

However, given your situation, I would also consider Porsche Macan. Give it a TD and see where you are after that. It will definitely surpass the Jaguars, Merc's, Audi's, especially in driving dynamics, handling, and performance (not an apple to apple comparison though comparing SUV and sedan). Additionally, you get the practicality of an SUV also.

PS - Please mind the wheels and tires of any of these cars in this entire list. Choose the one that comes with a minimum show-stopping potential since you intend to do long drives.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 17th November 2021 at 16:10.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 10:10   #24
BHPian

Buddy i was in an exact same boat as you are and i eventually ended up going for an Audi S5. I'm in a middle of writing an ownership thread so bear with me till the weekend and I'm sure my experience of this journey would surely help you out in deciding on your next car. All of them are brilliant cars and you should pick the one which ticks most of your personal checkpoints rather than what is the stated trend.

Will update here once the Ownership thread is live.
ashish22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 22:36   #25
BHPian

Based on the inputs on this thread so far, I hinted to the SA that I might not be immediately proceeding with the S5 (who was in a rush to close the deal). The SA sent back this article, not that I concur with it, just sharing for a quick read as it offers a slightly different perspective to the popular choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp25 View Post
Why not take a look at the A35 AMG? They're even coming with the A45 hatch but Im not sure if you're looking for a hot hatch.
Yes, I did check it out but with not too much of a price difference compared to the M340i, I thought of rather experiencing the 6 cylinder engine.
Waiting for the reviews of A45 to come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Let me simplify your choices and offer a few more as i understand your needs from your post:

So to conclude, i will suggest you to go for either M340i, 6GT 630d or GLC 43 AMG depending on identifying what kind of a driver you are and what kind of practicality you are looking for. I hope this will clarify your confusion.
Thanks for the great summarization. I had questioned myself whether I will be able to utilize the full potential of M340i given that I won't be taking it to tracks etc., but after hearing to the reviews of its owners, seems like its quite fun to drive on straight roads too. That along with the novelty factor and the exhaust keep tipping my interest in favor of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
How true. I bought M340i without a test-drive or without even seeing it in real. Look no further if you liked it and if still available, colour options, zero discounts are of concerns here. I think we spoke about the comfort levels earlier.

A friend of mine who thought of buying M340i picked GLC43AMG and he is always making fun of how I struggle with humps in Bangalore. so you know how that car is better in bad roads.
Yes, that's a definite advantage with the GLC43 along with probably a better exhaust note than the others. M340i is currently not available, dealers are saying bookings may resume around Dec/Jan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
BMW 530D is more plush and driver oriented than Audi S5. Again Mercedes AMG wins hands down. I would go for either the BMW 340i or the Mercedes. With age, Audi cars show issues with water pump failure, air suspension etc.
Thanks for highlighting the issues, wasn't aware of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post
Hi Animesh,
Nice to see your thread here. We had spoken a short while ago. Being an owner of the '21 M340i, I would vouch for it all the way!

Given your age, perspective and prerogative, I would say, Just Go for it, you won't regret it.
Thanks! Yes, our call was one of the final discussions I had before finalizing it but by then the bookings were closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by noufal.ps View Post
I was in the same boat 2 years back (31 then, close enough) . Evaluated all these options before picking up xf.

- Do try Jaguar products, they are awesome on handling, you don't get that steering in any cars under 2cr, plush ride
Yes, Jag was on our initial consideration list (look wise, it was definitely the winner for us) but we were skeptical due to some of the reliability concerns. With Jag ending the production of XE and introducing XF as a CBU variant (pricing is now on the higher side), it further reduced our interest in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
From your list, my pick would be M340i which is a much better BMW than the 530d (my personal opinion though).

However, given your situation, I would also consider Porsche Macan. Give it a TD and see where you are after that.

PS - Please mind the wheels and tires of any of these cars in this entire list. Choose the one that comes with a minimum show-stopping potential since you intend to do long drives.
Thanks for the inputs. Fair point around the tires, I will keep that in mind. I checked the quotation for Macan S and it is significantly pricier than some of the others on this list (specially if you add on a few optionals that are offered as defaults on the others).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Buddy i was in an exact same boat as you are and i eventually ended up going for an Audi S5. I'm in a middle of writing an ownership thread so bear with me till the weekend and I'm sure my experience of this journey would surely help you out in deciding on your next car. All of them are brilliant cars and you should pick the one which ticks most of your personal checkpoints rather than what is the stated trend.

Will update here once the Ownership thread is live.
Awesome, that would be great. Looking forward to it!
Old 29th November 2021, 23:18   #26
BHPian

IMHO, if I was given this budget, I would buy a pre-owned 911 (see a 911 owner from Kerala exceeding 1 lakh kms on his 911), this is your time to do that. For me size matters, bigger is not better here, you will not enjoy the 530d as much as 340i, that said, a M340i is THE practical choice. If it isn't the exotics like pre-owned 911, Boxter, F-Type, Z4M, C63, M3/4, only then look at the M340i. Driving fun is not when 4 are sitting in the car, its cruising fun maybe. With 4 on board you are their driver, you cannot drive for yourself. Personally, for me, when I want to have driving fun, I go single on a 6 lane for 400 kms, and love it, pushing me and the car at it. Believe me, practicality will come to you at 40 and will never leave your side after that, until then, have fun, and for practicality keep the Octavia. For a all India trip, you will need to do relaxed low stress comfortable cruising, just take a Fortuner for that peace of mind, none of the above cars are really fit for that without if's and but's. Also, all the above can do all India trips if you plan to stick to only great highways, personally these cars don't like anything less than 6 lanes and/or plush mountain curves. Carefully chose your roads and have fun with these super fun cars, and for rest of our Great Indian Roads, rent/buy a Fortuner.
zulfi hansi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 18:01   #27
BHPian

So the question has been answered, here's what transpired:

- The waiting period for M340i continues to be indefinite and the dates I heard from the SA changed from Dec to End Jan to sometime in May. I finally ended up giving up on the car.

- Finally got a chance to test drive the GLC43 and while the exhaust was astonishing along with the acceleration, the slightly outdated interiors didn't feel like doing justice to the price premium. Also there were no substantial discounts.

- I floated the idea of a 2 seater which was unanimously shot down by the family .

- The choice then boiled down to 530d vs the S5 (which was more of a dark horse at the point given the multiple concerns voiced on this thread around its reliability). The logical choice was 530d but the S5 was more appealing in terms of the looks and the exhaust. With a fat discount further exemplified by BH registration, the price concern was nullified to some extent. We finally took the plunge at the risk of some reliability issues. As @androdev had aptly put that if we considered all practical aspects, maybe we won't get a car that appeals to the heart. (Anyone who knows me or probably has read through some of my travelogues will know that practicality isn't exactly my forte). So here it is, the shiny new S5, fondly referred to as Lucifer for its red devilish looks

Choosing a car for a flickering mind | M340i vs S5 vs 530d vs GLC43-img20220218wa0048.jpg

The Thank you speech, this one is straight from the heart!
Thanks to all of you for sharing your inputs here (and a bunch of you who took the time out to chat offline) and guiding me in this process. Special thanks to ashish22@ whose ownership experience of S5 helped me finalize the decision and to Androdev, Dieselite, GTO, Turbanator whom I bugged multiple times offline. Last but not the least, thanks to Rodmart@ who is a dear friend and has been part of this almost 2 year long journey from inception to the purchase and has accompanied me on multiple TDs and multi-hour discussions, I hope this inspires him to begin the quest for his new ride too.
animeshc is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 21:02   #28
BHPian

Congratulation mate! Wish you many many happy miles. M340i maybe a better performer but S5 steals your attention. Great pick!
kashesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 08:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
With a fat discount further exemplified by BH registration, the price concern was nullified to some extent.
Could you please DM the car, insurance and service package pricing?
Old 22nd February 2022, 09:00   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations, it looks supa hott!! More pics and details please!!

Quote:
- I floated the idea of a 2 seater which was unanimously shot down by the family .
Well, you should have made it a choice between a superbike and a two seater car
androdev is online now   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks