Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2022, 09:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-AMG choices | AMG A45s vs AMG C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBimmer View Post
Please help with thoughts and comments.
The C43 is my pick. Its got a little more room in it and the AMG ride control suspension will suit you for times when you just want to cruise around.

The catch with the current on sale C43 is that its a dated model. On the plus side, it is priced well. I also believe that Mercedes AMG make the best noise of the German trio. That 3l bi turbo V6 paired to the AMG designed sport exhaust is music.

A point to note about the C43. If you are someone who likes a nice sounding stereo in the car, you will be disappointed. The factory stereo is below average for this class of car. It isn't upgradeable to a Bermester system too.

An an alternative option, you must drive an Audi S5.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 7th March 2022 at 09:13.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 10:38   #17
BHPian

LilBimmer I suggest going for the C43, for the following reasons. You have already experienced fast turbo 4 cylinder cars, a 6 cylinder will feel like a proper step-up. The difference in displacement will be felt in the way of power delivery and effortless performance offered at triple digit speeds. The fact that it's a coupe adds to the sense of occasion which can not be matched by a hatchback (no offense, I'm a hatchback lover too). Sure the C43 maybe a little dated, but for what it offers at the given price its definitely a better deal than the A45s. Who know how much pricier the next gen C43 will cost!
Nair.V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 12:03   #18

Hey LilBimmer that's a good dilemma to be in. I had the privilege to help a friend to buy a performance car under 1cr last year. Since pre owned was a strict no no I had to choose only new cars. After a lot of research and watching YouTube videos the m340i was finalized. Try different showrooms in and around Mumbai and see who can guarantee a you a delivery. M340i has crazy tuning potential it can eat a lot of entry level supercars for breakfast with some simple mods. I love the a45s too because its an engineering marvel by Mercedes but I think its better to enjoy a high displacement car now because they are a dying breed. In the pre owned market if you are willing to take the risk of buying a out of warranty car a lot of options open up. I'd suggest to look for RS5 V8, W204 C63, E92 M3 and my favorite BMW on sale the M2 competition. If you are not in a hurry then please take your time and keep searching for the M2 because people are singing praises about it all over the internet.
Arshad YR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 13:58   #19
BHPian

You already got a great 330i which you can drop some dough on and make it way faster and go for the thrill with that 0-100 time. But for your new car if I was in your shoes I would go for something with more character. With instead of a 0-100 timing having more mechanical feel which translates to the thrill you’re looking for. Onwards of 60 lakhs in the pre owned market you’ve so many options specially if you look for older cars.

Let’s take BBT as the source and you can get an R8, Aston Martin, i8 or a Mustang which are less driven and in good conditions. You can maybe get a convertible maybe a glc43 coupe and try test driving them to see which gives you a special feel while driving it. You can never judge a good car on paper and going for horsepower isn’t a bad idea but I rather do something like get a great looking with a great engine and solid mechanics and give it more drama. Fine tune it to my needs, maybe get an aggressive throttle response and sweet exhaust. So instead of looking for the ideal car look for the ideal engine. But again my outlook is less than ideal. Nevertheless enjoy the buying process and keep writing!!
TechSavvy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 14:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, all car dealers give ridiculous offers on pre-owned cars, however the situation has changed due to the chip shortage.
Ask Infinity to do a park and sell (on commission basis) the 330i for you, and book the M340i which you did fall in love with!

Having the Polo around would be a boon in city traffic & parking!
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 15:31   #21

Hello LilBimmer,

It was nice to see someone write about the C43 AMG on the team-bhp community. Very few people actually show any sort of interest in the C43.I happen to own a facelifted C43 in blue color in Mumbai and will be very happy to tell you about the car.

Unfortunately for Mercedes, the time they had chosen to the launch the C43 the car actually flopped in the Indian market as compared to the M340i & Audi S5. Reasons being as followed:

1) C43AMG is imported as CBU unlike M340 & Audi S5, so higher pricing
2) The analog display and stupid MBUX with very bad speaker system
3) The exhaust note is very silent (not like the actual AMG cars), M340i launch cars came with BMW sports exhaust, this was removed in the second lot after chip shortage.
4) Spare wheel in the boot, makes the boot almost useless
5) Coupe design very good to look at but finishes the utility of the rear seats, unlike M340i & Audi S5

But still despite all these things Mercedes I think sold almost all their stocks of C43, because the car is a pocket rocket. The suspension is super soft when you want it and super hard when you want. I drive with a group of super cars on weekly basis, can easily keep up with them thanks to the brilliant engine.

I have driven my friends 330i also, its a very good car, but there is big difference in power and performance. In my friends car, after pressing the accelerator i felt there was like a super big delay before anything happened (Comparatively), in the C43 its instant. But i would not own both of them

In your situation, the ideal mix would be:

1) Polo - daily beater car
2) 330i - family travel
3) High performance, non-practical second hand car - only to be removed on special occasions.

For option no:3 if you want to buy a C43, don't look at a brand new C43, look at a used one, since the car has flopped in the market you can get one at a cheap rate. But i would really suggest to go for a 2 seater like a Z4 or Porsche Boxster

Regards
Sanyam Sultania
sanyam_2612 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 22:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excommunicado View Post
Hello Mr. Lil' Bimmer sir. First of all, glad to know you are not a rapper since your name suggested otherwise. Sorry for being cocky here.
Hahahaha. Thanks for the kind words. The moniker is because my first BMW was a stripped-down 116i base model. I agree that displacement and the number of cylinders under the hood rules. And furthermore, the A45s is the beginning of the future, engine tech-wise, so now is the last time to get a V6 or V8.

As to the A45s, some people see a hot hatch. Some people see a rich man’s Polo. But most of those that do (and I say this with no disrespect to any opinion possibly more learned than mine) maybe haven’t driven one. It can (in the right hands) be a supercar killer, or at least keep up. And in that lies what makes it special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The catch with the current on sale C43 is that its a dated model. On the plus side, it is priced well. I also believe that Mercedes AMG make the best noise of the German trio. That 3l bi turbo V6 paired to the AMG designed sport exhaust is music.
It is dated. I don’t think that the price is commensurate. But yes. The AMG performance exhaust is music.

Quote:
he factory stereo is below average for this class of car. It isn't upgradeable to a Bermester system too.
True. And I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSavvy View Post
Let’s take BBT as the source and you can get an R8, Aston Martin, i8 or a Mustang which are less driven and in good condition
Thanks, but I’ve pretty much tested all the AMG cars available, and the only 3 I liked were the A45s, C43, and the E53 (which is out of my budget) actually so is the A45s, but I’m totally smitten by it. I agree about judging the car on paper. I still really don’t want to buy anything from BBT.

Mod Note - Please use the MultiQuote function & Quote only relevant portion while replying

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th March 2022 at 22:56. Reason: Back to Back Posts,
Old 7th March 2022, 23:42   #23
BHPian

Sorry Mods if I keep getting the quote wrong. Please link me to a guide where I can use Multi quote. Haven’t got the hang of it, long time lurker and new poster here.
Old 8th March 2022, 00:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyam_2612 View Post
It was nice to see someone write about the C43 AMG on the team-bhp community.
Thanks for writing a reply Sanyam. Much appreciated. I too thought the the C43 was a fab car. Not completely unhinged bonkers in power like the C43, which I found very involving to drive, but NOT relaxing. I think it’s the perfect in between AMG. I don’t mind the “dated” analog dials and the simpler Audio 20 system, in fact, I rather thought that the newer 2 screen MBUX just peppered the driver with an over abundance of information. What I felt lacking in all the cars was a HUD, which I personally believe all fast cars should have to prevent driver distraction. The thing is that the C43 available to me is the last one the MB has, it’s an ex-demo car which has already lost 6 months of warranty, and has been driven 2000+ km. While the salesman keeps harping on the fact that it stayed unregistered and I would be the “first owner”, to me regardless of what the registration says, it’s a used car with 6 months less warranty and driven hard for 2000 km. I know that I did, and would have to assume that anyone testing it would have done the same. I did not feel the price it was offered to me at was commensurate to taking that into account. I would rather spend a bit more and get a brand new A45s or significantly less and settle for an M340i. Ther has been no attempt by the dealer to throw in any enticed into the deal like an extended warranty or new tires or anything really. Also the glossy wood centre console and door panels are, let’s just say, disagreeable. When I asked if that could be changed to plain black open pore wood, even that was met with an immediate no, and a suggestion that I get it wrapped in aluminium or fake carbon fibre finish.

This didn’t go down well with me, and I opted to not buy the car. I would happily reconsider it for a lesser amount than a new M340i.

If you do know of any going preowned drop me a PM please, be glad to look into it.

PS. I don’t care much about the non burmeister system, that exhaust IS music.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th March 2022 at 10:13. Reason: Trimmed the Quote.
LilBimmer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 09:01   #25
BHPian

I personally like the C43, it looks good, and sounds even better. The AMG steering is art.
But if I were thinking about spending that kind of money (which I have decided to do multiple times, but never got a good deal) I'd want something a little more special.

Enter Porsche. I'd def look at a cayman. its beautiful and sits lower than the C43. The exhaust is meaty, but not as good as the AMG. But the car moves much better. Since I have been in your position, I also understand the part about the 340i not being that special.

What has happened in the last few months is that Porsche increased the prices of their entry level boxster and cayman models. And that resulted in an increase in prices of used ones. I feel its unfair, but what can you do?

Also, E53. Its the best of both worlds. Stunning sedan + 4 door practicality. And the AMG exhaust. I am not sure if its as loud, never got to drive one till now. But it makes sense to check it out.
amitverma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 09:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
What has happened in the last few months is that Porsche increased the prices of their entry level boxster and cayman models. And that resulted in an increase in prices of used ones.
Thanks. Yes. Porsche would have been ideal. But they’ve had a mad increase in pricing, putting even the entry level one well out of my reach.

You’re bang on about the E53. I did test drive it. It’s THE perfect do it all car. The exhaust is more refined than the A and C AMGs, but with the electric EQ assist (that you don’t know is there, it pulls cleanly from above idle all the way to redline in any gear at any speed with a constant exhilarating non stop wave of power. And then, it’s comfortable, and practical. But at 1.3 cr it’s way beyond my reach. It is, and remains a fab car to aspire to.

Mod Note - Please quote only releavent portion. Please go through this, Thanks.

If you are commenting on a particular part of the post, just leave that part in. Don't de-emphasize your point by quoting a complete post, most of which is probably irrelevant to your answer. By quoting just the required sentence, your point will have come across immediately.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...tml#post500073 (A YetiGuide® : How To Post In Proper English)

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th March 2022 at 10:15. Reason: Trimmed the quoted post.
LilBimmer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 18:56   #27
BHPian

Thank you everyone who replied. The C43 is sold, but I have taken all your comments onboard, and I will be test driving other options. Thanks again.
Old 27th March 2022, 23:32   #28
BHPian

Hi All,

So. A quick update. Obviously dealerships read threads on Team-BHP, because I was suddenly offered a Dravit Grey M340i with no waitlist after what I surmised was the conclusion to this thread. And then, yet again, when I asked for another test drive (it’s been well over a year and given the many complaints that the second batch of cars has no exhaust sound or Sports/M-Performance exhaust option) I was told to just pay the booking amount and that no Test drive car was available. Also on enquiring for the cost of the additional M-Performance Carbon fibre parts that I wanted, and their availability, it’s been 10 days, and no reply.

I still refuse to be treated as if a dealer is doing me a great favour when I’m considering a spend of (with all the additional parts) in excess of 80L, so I’m playing the waiting game too. I won’t consider it my loss.

In the meanwhile, I did test out a well kept but driven nearly 40k kms M5, and made a commensurately fair offer that was rejected by the 2nd owner who said the car was a “future classic” and would increase in value from 2030… Didn’t want to wait 8 years for this “investment” to start making good on its promise, so I withdrew my offer.

Also tested an X3M (great fun, even though I don’t consider myself an SUV guy) but same story, Infinity wants an absurd sum of money for what is obviously a Press car done 10k kms , 3 years old and kept unregistered.

The anticipation continues…
LilBimmer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 13:13   #29

A45s is bonkers and a brilliant car but it is expensive. If you can pull it off - go for that.

M340i would be the next "quickest/fastest" option but doesn't feel special enough. And in terms of an engaging drive I think the C43 wins.

I've had a c43 for almost a year now and have absolutely loved the experience. I bought it used so got a good deal on it and it had super low mileage. It plays the Jekyll and Hyde personality really well. Quiet, understated, and comfortable when you want it to be and a complete mad hatter when you floor it.

I've tuned mine a bit so it is quite fast and loud. Feels super special to drive every single time.
ssbb1808 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 14:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBimmer View Post
Hi All,

Also tested an X3M (great fun, even though I don’t consider myself an SUV guy)
If you liked the X3M, then why not consider the GLC43 as well? Handles pretty nicely, though a45 is a different beast altogether.
Quote:
Infinity wants an absurd sum of money for what is obviously a Press car done 10k kms , 3 years old and kept unregistered.
Same story with the TD E53 - also being offered for low ball discounts.
nxshar2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks