Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2022, 14:40   #1
BHPian

Mercedes-AMG choices | AMG A45s vs AMG C43

I’m torn between finalising on a AMG A45s or an AMG C43. Please help me decide or give me inputs. All suggestions and ideas are helpful. This whole thing started out as buying a preowned “fun car” for about 50-60L, and the front runner of choice was actually a BMW M2. My current daily driver is a 330i M Sport Shadow Edition (I know, serious first world problems), which ticks all the boxes otherwise. My yearly driving is limited to about 2000km.

Some practical problems:

I also am the primary driver and transport provider for 2 elderly mothers of a median age of 80 plus, one of whom is perfectly content sitting with me on test drives at extremely high triple digit speeds, and the other who will squeal if I take a sharp turn at 40kmph. We also own a new Polo GT TSI which is the primary car for the missus, but with a tall burly teenaged son, 2 elderly ladies, and my wife and me, it is simply not comfortable enough in a pinch for all of us together when we do go out in the Polo. Hence a decision was made to keep the 330i as the “bigger comfortable family car”.

The 330i is fully loaded and has already had an ECU flash to stage 1, and for all practical purposes gives me all the performance I could want in everyday life (a little more couldn’t hurt), albeit in a very quiet, refined, and unexciting way. There is no exhaust roar. There is no drama. And after testing some AMGs, I now feel that at the speeds I can easily achieve, I’d definitely want larger and better brakes on the 330i, that inspire confidence.

I am 54 and I figure I might be able to enjoy a pure sports car with possibly failing eyesight and slowing reflexes for maybe another 4-5 years. Hence the decision that I don’t want to go in for any half baked solutions- life and time is ticking away. The other issue is that while I love BMWs, (this is #3!) they have neither the range of performance cars in my budget, nor the availability of a new M2, nor the availability of any demo cars in terms of performance models. I like the M340i a lot, but as I said earlier, don’t want a smallish upgrade in performance and driving dynamics to the 330i, especially since it is no longer stock.

In full disclosure, I do not consider myself an advanced driver (even though an AMG demo guy told me he “loved the way I drive and handle the car” - which may mean nothing but sales spiel) I also prefer coupes or sedans, I’m not fond of SUVs (which kind of negates the GLC43, GLA35, and the X3M, even if it were within my budget) The A35 was a fun car to drive, but it was cramped and didn’t bring enough “special” to the table over the current 330i to warrant purchasing. The C63 felt too involved in driving, with too much focus required, and not relaxing to drive. I’m sure it will make a great track car. The E53 is absolutely stellar and brilliant, has the right sound, feel, dynamics and comfort, but is out of reach fiscally, just as any of the other BMW M cars.

A45s - almost supercar like performance, reasonable space for its size. Looks very ordinary otherwise (which can be both a benefit and a downer) loaded fully with every possible AMG gadget and creature comfort and that amazing engine and driving dynamics.

C43 - Dated, but a looker. Sounds and drives great, but not close to the A45s. No MBUx, no fancy display panels, analog gauges, more reasonably priced than the A45s. Bigger car physically too, and a coupe!! I wish it had a HUD though.

I need to make a decision and commit. Please help with thoughts and comments.
LilBimmer is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 06:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-AMG choices | AMG A45s vs AMG C43

The A45S is a pocket rocket. Stupendous performance but tight on space. It’s more a replacement for your Polo than Beamer.

If you can make that happen you would have an envious two car garage with the 330i & A45s
Sahil is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 07:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

From your post it's not clear what type of car you prefer - M2, A45S, C43, E53, "other M cars" all showed up in your desirable car list. If you say you are keeping the 3 series for family duties, then I am assuming you don't care about space and seating capacity in your new car.

Given your "running out of time" mood, I suggest you look for a pre-owned two-seater sports coupe/convertible instead of AMG/M version of regular family cars. Very similar to the logic of why you ruled out M340i. Something like AMG GT genre/theme instead of AMG S63. I don't literally mean AMG GT but something that is a personal sports car with zero thought given to family. Maybe something like BMW Z4/Porsche Cayman - not exactly performance monsters but special enough?

A45s vs C43 is a tough choice - A45s has the heart but doesn't look special (as someone said it is a rich man's polo GT) and C43 is a nice looking coupe, may not meet your expectations in terms of overall thrill. Maybe neither?
androdev is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 07:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBimmer View Post
I’m torn between finalising on a AMG A45s or an AMG C43.
The 330i is fully loaded, albeit in a very quiet, refined, and unexciting way. There is no exhaust roar. There is no drama.
The C63 felt too involved in driving, with too much focus required, and not relaxing to drive. I’m sure it will make a great track car. The E53 is absolutely stellar and brilliant, has the right sound, feel, dynamics and comfort, but is out of reach fiscally, just as any of the other BMW M cars.
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, both of the options you have chosen will not be a big upgrade over the 330i that you own. Though the 0-100 numbers are better on the referred AMG model, the real-world difference won’t be much. After this initial euphoria has downed, you will start questioning your decision. A45, may appear to be fast, is a little loud but cannot replace the 6 or 8 cylinders, AMG/ M models. Best case, you can pick the A45 today and sell in a Year or two after you get bored. You will take the minimum hit as it’s the cheapest.

Quote:
I am 54 and I figure I might be able to enjoy a pure sports car with possibly failing eyesight and slowing reflexes for maybe another 4-5 years.
Will suggest picking something proper, you should consider selling your 3 series to get the E53 at least. If that’s already considered, and ruled out, do take a drive of M340i. The new bookings will begin soon. You can have 95% of fun on the M340i than anything else you are looking at.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th March 2022 at 08:00.
Turbanator is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 09:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
From your post it's not clear what type of car you prefer - M2, A45S, C43, E53, "other M cars" all showed up in your desirable car list. If you say you are keeping the 3 series for family duties, then I am assuming you don't care about space and seating capacity in your new car.
Yes, that would be correct. Hence the A45 or a coupe. I know the post comes across as a money no object, but it kind of is. I’ve owned enough cars to know the depreciation hit the first owner takes hence the lookout for a preowned car. This car would be in addition to the 330i and Polo.

Quote:
Given your "running out of time" mood, I suggest you look for a pre-owned two-seater sports coupe/convertible instead of AMG/M version of regular family cars. Very similar to the logic of why you ruled out M340i. Something like AMG GT genre/theme instead of AMG S63. I don't literally mean AMG GT but something that is a personal sports car with zero thought given to family. Maybe something like BMW Z4/Porsche Cayman - not exactly performance monsters but special enough?
I’ve been through that line of thought. There are more than a couple issues here. I don’t know anyone directly who might be selling any of these cars. Dealers are dodgy, mostly available cars are out of state, and Mumbai cops are not very tolerative of out of state regn. plates. I’m not willing to buy a car and then pay re registration for it in Maharashtra. I would prefer a preowned car with a warranty that is extendable. I love the idea of a GT or similar, but my wallet, and some modicum of being fiscally responsible shun it. Also, it’s too flashy and screams for attention wherever one may go. I’m not that guy.

Quote:
A45s vs C43 is a tough choice - A45s has the heart but doesn't look special (as someone said it is a rich man's polo GT) and C43 is a nice looking coupe, may not meet your expectations in terms of overall thrill. Maybe neither?
Both are quite thrilling to drive. Regardless of the rich man’s polo moniker, the A45s is genuinely fun. Yes, it’s not a looker. But the driving dynamics, power and the engine note from the exhaust all add to a sense of occasion driving it. The C43 is a demo car, and I feel it’s way overpriced for what it is, despite MB’s pitch on its VFM proposition, it’s still a 2017 version.

Thanks much for your inputs. It’s always good to be reminded of thoughts one has cast aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The A45S is a pocket rocket. Stupendous performance but tight on space. It’s more a replacement for your Polo than Beamer.

If you can make that happen you would have an envious two car garage with the 330i & A45s
Thanks Sahil. I don’t care about the space. This one is MY car. I care about the thrill of driving it. Neither the 330i, nor the Polo GT (which is my wife’s primary drive) are up for replacement. This car would be in addition to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
After this initial euphoria has downed, you will start questioning your decision. A45, may appear to be fast, is a little loud but cannot replace the 6 or 8 cylinders, AMG/ M models. Best case, you can pick the A45 today and sell in a Year or two after you get bored. You will take the minimum hit as it’s the cheapest
Thanks Turbanator. I disagree with the “real world difference” between the 330i and the A45s. They are 2 wildly different cars. Definitely the ride is stiff, bordering on harsh (not as much as the C63) but the power, handling, exhaust note is undeniable. I forget the size of the car. Also to clarify, for me it’s about acceleration and not top speed. It’s irrelevant to me past 200 how fast your car can go.

The C43 is a V6 and while it is down on HP and all the fittings on the newer models, it’s a lovely car to drive. The power is adequate and the exhaust note is sweet.

But you’ve brought up a salient point here. What if I get bored?? What if I get tired of the relentless acceleration and that engine sound?? The answer to that haunts me. One of the main reasons that I want a preowned car so that the hit if I choose to move on later will be commensurate to the fun.

Quote:
Will suggest picking something proper, you should consider selling your 3 series to get the E53 at least. If that’s already considered, and ruled out, do take a drive of M340i. The new bookings will begin soon. You can have 95% of fun on the M340i than anything else you are looking at.
I was one of the first in line to test drive the M340i and book it online, and I would have already owned today it if Infinity Cars had given me a fair trade in offer on my then barely 2 year old 330i. They didn’t. So I didn’t. I’m currently not interested in playing this indefinite “pay a booking amount, and if we find you worthy, we MAY allocate one of our cars to you” Mores the pity, because I expected better treatment being a 3 time BMW buyer from Infinity Cars, and we are both losers in this equation.

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th April 2022 at 17:48. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts. Trimmed the Quote, fixed Quote Thanks.
LilBimmer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 14:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would echo the sentiments of those around here in saying that you should go all-out rather than buying a ho-hum-vee.

I was about to propose the idea of an F80 M3 to you (since it fits your budget perfectly, but I sense you'd say you don't want more of the same (aesthetically at least, to an extent) since you have a 330i.

I believe you were on the right track with looking at an M2. If this is a car for you, and you really want that rush of adrenaline, the M2 is your car. If you want a modicum of practicality, get the M340i. I can give you the contact of a good chap in Navnit motors, the Juhu dealership. With bookings reopening, I don't think it'll be as long a wait as you imagine.

I would not plump for the A45s (you have a 2 liter turbo petrol. The AMG might have serious roid rage, but you have to step up to a 3.0 liter engine) or the C43 (I think it's a bit old, although a looker. Just my 2 cents.

Here's a quick roundup of my rambling:
  1. BMW M2
  2. BMW M3
  3. BMW M340i

That should be your focus, in that order, for my money (or yours in this case).

Quote:
The 330i gives me all the performance I could want in everyday life albeit in a very quiet, refined, and unexciting way. There is no exhaust roar. There is no drama. And after testing some AMGs, I’d definitely want larger and better brakes on the 330i.
As an aside, consider getting a catless/catted downpipe with a mild burble tune done to add some aural drama to the car. And as far as stopping power goes, try out EBC Yellow Stuff brake pads as a first step. If you need more, you can always get a big brake kit, but I think that would be overkill for a 330i.

Quote:
I like the M340i a lot, but as I said earlier, don’t want a smallish upgrade in performance and driving dynamics to the 330i, especially since it is no longer stock.
Saar, displacement is displacement. The m340i puts out about 380-ish BHP stock, and barrels away to 0-60 in about 4 seconds in as much as it doesn't matter. A simple ECU tune will push it near 420 BHP or more. You'd have to add a LOT of hardware to the 330i to get anywhere near that number. My point being that performance wise, it will 100% be a step-up.

Quote:
I also prefer coupes or sedans, I’m not fond of SUVs (which kind of negates the GLC43, GLA35, and the X3M, even if it were within my budget).
Name:  mymanmymandenzel.gif
Views: 1144
Size:  1.66 MB
iliketurtles is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 15:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I would echo the sentiments of those around here in saying that you should go all-out rather than buying a ho-hum-vee.
EXACTLY my line of thought. Please point me to a well kept version (documented service history, realistic depreciation) of either an M2 or M3 available preowned and take my money. There just are no cars available. Or I’m not doing something correctly.

Quote:
As an aside, consider getting a catless/catted downpipe with a mild burble tune done to add some aural drama to the car. And as far as stopping power goes, try out EBC Yellow Stuff brake pads as a first step. If you need more, you can always get a big brake kit, but I think that would be overkill for a 330i.
I’m already 2 days away from doing this. Thanks for the brake pad recommendation.

Quote:
Saar, displacement is displacement. The m340i puts out about 380-ish BHP stock, and barrels away to 0-60 in about 4 seconds in as much as it doesn't matter. A simple ECU tune will push it near 420 BHP or more. You'd have to add a LOT of hardware to the 330i to get anywhere near that number. My point being that performance wise, it will 100% be a step-up.
I am agree, as they say. Maybe my replies earlier seemed to diss the M340i. That is not the case. I loved it and signed up for it. But there seems to have become a level of comfortable familiarity with everyone at Infinity, where they believe that I will never go elsewhere or buy any other brand, and so, thinking that I’m a hooked fish, there is zero effort to sweeten anything. And so, sadly, I have to resort to looking at AMGs and RS/S cars.

MOD NOTE : Request you to please go through quoting & replying and posting etiquettes thread. Will help in post composition and will help in quoting and replying.
Thanks.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th March 2022 at 19:45. Reason: Quotes fixed
Old 5th March 2022, 18:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EXACTLY my line of thought. Please point me to a well-kept version (documented service history, realistic depreciation) of either an M2 or M3 available preowned and take my money. There just are no cars available. Or I’m not doing something correctly.
Unfortunately, we are in something of a bull market for used cars, especially hi-performance cars like these. I've seen M2's listed at 70 lakhs, which is truly bananas, even if you factor in crass capitalism. But I have seen M3s going at 60 in excellent condition (roundabout 10k clicks on odometer, well-documented history, etc.).

It's just that they're either traded very quickly in close circles, or at a premium in public (and most of the ones that make it to a public listing have more miles under their belt). It's a patience game with these, eventually, and having the means to pull the trigger and close the deal with great rapidity.

Quote:
I am agree, as they say. Maybe my replies earlier seemed to diss the M340i. That is not the case. I loved it and signed up for it. But there seems to have become a level of comfortable familiarity with everyone at Infinity, where they believe that I will never go elsewhere or buy any other brand, and so, thinking that I’m a hooked fish, there is zero effort to sweeten anything.
Allow me to play devil's advocate.

To run with your fishy metaphor, if Infinity assumes they have you on the hook, show them the net is cast out wider than they think, and that they're not the only fish in the sea. Talk to Navnit in Juhu. The guy I spoke to in Jan spoke of delivery by June or so if I pulled the trigger there and then.

Discounts are scant on them, unfortunately, but I hear that the 19" 792M wheels will now most likely be standard on the M340i's in 2022, so that's a straight couple of lakhs saved there

Don't discard a car you like, and especially one that is so well suited to your needs, just because one dealer soured your experience. Kick them to the kerb and look elsewhere. There's more fish in that sea.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 5th March 2022 at 18:35. Reason: Forgot to close a bracket ��*♂️
iliketurtles is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 20:51   #9
BHPian

If you're okay with pre-owned, there's a world of options for a fun to drive, zero practicality car at that 75-90L mark.

BBT, B&M, and some more luxury car resellers have lots of options. Including but not limited to: Porsche Cayman, Audi R8, SLC AMG, lots of Z4, and even a few RS5 Coupes.

I was in your position a while ago and I opted for a mid term solution: an S5 to upgrade from my JCW Mini Cooper. All the above are options I tried but didn't have the wallet for. ��
d_payne is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 22:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_payne View Post
If you're okay with pre-owned, there's a world of options for a fun to drive, zero practicality car at that 75-90L mark.

BBT, B&M, and some more luxury car resellers have lots of options…
Please PM me what is B&M. I am not comfortable dealing with BBT. Heard too many wrong whispers. It is my opinion that any vehicle older than 3-4 years should be negated, as I have neither the time nor inkling to deal with niggling issues. Vehicles that already have an extended warranty, or are within the period where one may purchase add-on warranty are the best choices and most welcome. Since my running will be very low, service inclusive and/or packages don’t make sense for me.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

PS I tested out an S5 this afternoon. I really liked the build and ride quality. I made a counteroffer. Let’s see what happens by March end when everyone is trying to meet their quarterly fiscal targets. Hopefully some will take a soft stance.
LilBimmer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 11:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What if I get bored?? What if I get tired of the relentless acceleration and that engine sound?? The answer to that haunts me. One of the main reasons that I want a preowned car so that the hit if I choose to move on later will be commensurate to the fun.
Since you have not bought pre-owned before, restrict yourself to the new or if it has to be pre-owned, stick buying from the first owner, under warranty with low mileage.

Quote:
disagree with the “real world difference” between the 330i and the A45s. They are 2 wildly different cars.
When I say the real world, it means (by experience). Will an M5 and 740 be a good example to compare

I will suggest going ahead and booking the M340 and selling your 3 series outside if the dealer is not giving you a reasonable price. Owning and maintaining multiple cars is pain, and in the future, irrespective of your earnings, it will be a good idea to have limited depreciating assets (look who is talking, I need to begin this at home first )

Another member has bought an S5 here; check out his experience, that car is solid, but for some reason, Audi never excites me the way BMW does.
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 11:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Another member has bought an S5 here; check out his experience, that car is solid, but for some reason, Audi never excites me the way BMW does.
I concur. The ride quality is unflappable, nothing seems to upset it’s stance. It has (adequate) power and a lovely deep exhaust note that doesn’t scream boi racer. But it was neither involved or exciting to drive. And at the price quoted, has too many comfort bits and bobs missing.

Thanks for replying.
Old 6th March 2022, 12:57   #13
BHPian

Completely agree on your judgement regarding the S5. It's a do-it-all car, it's fast, loads of grip but it's not as involving or exciting as an M2/M3/M4. And that's something even an RS5 isn't.

That said, I don't think the entry level M or AMG sedans are a true upgrade from the souped up 330i you have, nor are they a car for this phase of your life.

What I suggest is that you bring it down to 2-3 cars which truly tickle your fancy, not super sedans but purpose built sports cars. Cayman, R8, Mustang level. Test drive them all. And then wait for a few months scouting, and you'll find it. I understand your discomfort regarding BBT, I myself ended up going with Audi Pre-owned vs BBT for a minimal price difference. But I've learned that if you give it time, the pre-owned performance car market has enough options in India.
d_payne is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 00:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_payne View Post
Completely agree on your judgement regarding the S5. It's a do-it-all car, it's fast, loads of grip but it's not as involving or exciting as an M2/M3/M4. And that's something even an RS5 isn't.
Thanks. The build quality was definitely something to note as well.

Quote:
What I suggest is that you bring it down to 2-3 cars which truly tickle your fancy, not super sedans but purpose built sports cars.
Cayman, maybe if there is a hardtop version. I don’t know my Porsches well enough. Mustang holds absolutely NO interest to me, and the last time I drove an R8, the only way that I could get out of the car was literally fall out of it onto the pavement.

Most available R8s are 2012 and as I mentioned earlier I simply don’t have the gumption to deal with niggles on a 10 year old supercar. Will keep on the lookout as you said though. Thanks.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th March 2022 at 09:53. Reason: Fixed Quote
Old 7th March 2022, 09:00   #15
BHPian

Hello Mr. Lil' Bimmer sir. First of all, glad to know you are not a rapper since your name suggested otherwise. Sorry for being cocky here.

It is such an easy pick between the two. You have to buy the A45s. It has been recently updated and has the latest tech. It is a proper AMG since it follows the 'One man One engine' philosophy with an insignia to reflect the same on its engine.

More importantly it will act as the sleeper car that demolishes everything else on the road if you are into that kind of thing. Below are some such scenarios.

1) Imagine being on the ghats and cornering with ease at 140 km/h. Not recommended but it has the ability to pull off such manoeuvres.
2) Imagine just passing the rumble strip with another car and you step on the accelerator and boom! The other guy keeps wondering what exactly was that thing. Speed Demon.
3) Imagine carving through city traffic like an ice-skater, gracefully.
4) Also, you get the bragging rights of having the world’s most powerful turbocharged four-cylinder series production engine.

Not everyone with that kind of money thinks about spending it on a hot-hatch. I think the onus is on you to set things right and lead the way sir. May you be at peace with whatever decision you make. Stick to it, enjoy it!
Excommunicado is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks