Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2022, 14:20   #1

Used 2020 BMW G30 530d vs New BMW 530d LCI

Good day, everyone!

I'm thrilled to be a part of Team BHP and to be starting my maiden thread.

I'm in my late thirties and looking for a luxury sedan with adequate horsepower.

Option 1: A single-owner 2020 G30 BMW 530D M Sport with 12000 kilometers. (Not covered by the manufacturer's warranty)

Option 2: The BMW 530D M Sport LCI, which is brand new.

Initially, I was leaning toward the used car, but after learning that it is no longer under warranty, I am now skeptical. Is it a good idea to invest the money here after completing 12K kilometers?

Also, after having the car inspected by BMW service (360 check), will we be allowed to purchase warranty if it has expired?

In terms of the LCI, I believe that due to the chip scarcity, certain features such as 360 camera and parking via BMW display key have been discontinued and I am not sure about other features, if they are the same. Also there is no test drive available for 530D nor a display car.

Could you please guide me here to pick the right one?

Thanks in advance.
Optimus_1408 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 19:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Used 2020 BMW G30 530d vs New BMW 530d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_1408 View Post
Option 1: A single-owner 2020 G30 BMW 530D M Sport with 12000 kilometers. (Not covered by the manufacturer's warranty)
Not a 5 Series owner but what is the price delta between the two options? If it is reasonable, then go for Option 2. The 5 LCI looks a great deal more modern, and even the 3 LCI will be similar when it comes in. It will look fresher for years longer. The enjoyment from features like display key, in my opinion are transient.

I also find it suspicious whenever I hear of luxury vehicle owners not buying even 1 year of extended warranty. It potentially shows a lack of commitment to the vehicle and/or a financial crunch, neither of which are a positive sign.

Last edited by itwasntme : 30th May 2022 at 19:05.
itwasntme is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 20:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Not a 5 Series owner but what is the price delta between the two options? If it is reasonable, then go for Option 2. The 5 LCI looks a great deal more modern, and even the 3 LCI will be similar when it comes in. It will look fresher for years longer. The enjoyment from features like display key, in my opinion are transient.

I also find it suspicious whenever I hear of luxury vehicle owners not buying even 1 year of extended warranty. It potentially shows a lack of commitment to the vehicle and/or a financial crunch, neither of which are a positive sign.
Thank you for the response. The delta is around 25 to 30 lakhs. The new LCI is around 95 lakhs on road, whereas the used one's come around 60 to 65 lakhs.

Yes, it definitely shows lack of commitment towards the car and when questioned about extended warranty the sellers quote 'I usually sell my cars post 2 years and there is no point of buying warranty' and one gentlemen said 'These German machines last long and there will not be any problems as years pass by'.
Optimus_1408 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 21:47   #4
BHPian

96L OTR is way too much. I was offered a brand new 530d sometime exactly this time last year at 68L OTR (UP registration). I passed on that car as second wave covid had hit and had to set priorities straight. Now I think I should have gone ahead instead as I will never be able to buy it even remotely close to that price given mass discounting is more or less gone away in the industry.

I would say you should see the materiality the lost equipment holds for you (it greatly does to me) and I would only consider getting the car again when they start shipping out the full kits. Personally, for me, this car will be my last ICE vehicle and I will hold it for the next 10years or so hence I am waiting for the next 6/12 months for the situation to improve.
Aaroah is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 07:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
The new LCI is around 95 lakhs on road
The new 530d costs a crore?! Wasn't it a 55 lakh car just a few years ago?

Since the 5 is considered a reliable car, perhaps buying the slightly older one for a significant savings might be worth it even if you do not have extended warranty. The price difference can probably pay for any unforeseen expenses in the unlikely event that it happens.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st May 2022 at 08:46. Reason: edited
voldemort is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 08:38   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Used 2020 BMW G30 530d vs New BMW 530d LCI

Just checked on Carwale & the 530d is 90-lakhs OTR Mumbai, so Bangalore should be 95. I own a 530d and can tell you it is NOT worth 95 lakhs. Not at all.

- IF you want a "like new" car for a more fair price, pick the 2020 car. These cars age very, very slowly. One detailing session and your 2020 example should be as good as new. The 30-lakh price difference is huge. You could cover fuel & maintenance for 10 years, and buy a Mahindra Thar 4x4 with the difference. Almost. Frankly, 60 lakhs itself is a lot of money for a pre-owned 530d, but such is the crazy market we find ourselves in, and such are the crazy prices in Bangalore.

- You must also consider the M340i, which is as legendary a machine as the 530d and more fun-to-drive (petrol revs higher, AWD grip, feels tighter). Main disadvantage would be you giving up diesel economy, especially on long road-trips. But my God, what a machine the M340i is! 78-lakhs OTR for a new one, and could save money on used, if you are able to find one.

- Test-drive the new C300d. It is almost as fast as a 530d, has equal legroom at the rear (but not the width), the absolutely perfect suspension setup in terms of ride & handling, and very sharp brakes. Loads of fun to drive. Mercedes has hit it out of the park with the C300 AMG. Added bonus = looks hot with the kit & you'll be driving the latest model. Main disadvantage vs the 530d = no 6-cylinder creaminess and the gearbox isn't as fast (although its still very competent).

Quote:
Initially, I was leaning toward the used car, but after learning that it is no longer under warranty, I am now skeptical. Is it a good idea to invest the money here after completing 12K kilometers?
Check with the dealer and with BMW directly on the warranty. Since its only just expired, I am sure they'll give you extended coverage. Although the car is super reliable, it is very expensive to fix when things go wrong. I had a relatively small water leak fixed under warranty. It was due to the left-hand-drive steering column plastic cap gone bad (on the firewall). Fixed for free under warranty, but the dealer billing was 2+ lakhs!

Quote:
Majority of luxury car owners don't get the extended warranty because they see it as an unnecessary expense. On a wing & a prayer! Totally unwise IMHO.

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2022 at 18:51. Reason: One more thing
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 09:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the response. The delta is around 25 to 30 lakhs. The new LCI is around 95 lakhs on road, whereas the used one's come around 60 to 65 lakhs.
That is a staggering difference. I was thinking it to be a maximum of 10L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Check with the dealer and with BMW directly on the warranty. Since its only just expired, I am sure they'll give you extended coverage.
GTO, unsure if BMW will entertain purchasing of extended warranty (BRI) after the standard one has expired, i.e. even if the vehicle is inspected etc. I undestand the BRI system itself does not allow it based on the VIN and registration date. However, I have a no personal idea of this, so definitely better to check formally.
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 12:13   #8
BHPian

My recommendation is to go for the used one.

Agree with GTO that a new 530d is not worth 95L. Also, missing 360 camera in new cars is almost a deal breaker for me for a big car; it's super useful in tight spaces and tricky situations.

AFAIK, extending warranty will not be possible post expiry and their systems too don't allow it. You have to decide for yourself if you want to take that risk given other benefits like cost saving, features, etc.
Ojas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 22:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
The new 530d costs a crore?! Wasn't it a 55 lakh car just a few years ago?

Since the 5 is considered a reliable car, perhaps buying the slightly older one for a significant savings might be worth it even if you do not have extended warranty. The price difference can probably pay for any unforeseen expenses in the unlikely event that it happens.
Yes, you are right. It is close to a crore if we add essentials, extended warranty and other accessories from BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just checked on Carwale & the 530d is 90-lakhs OTR Mumbai, so Bangalore should be 95. I own a 530d and can tell you it is NOT worth 95 lakhs. Not at all.
I did consider the M340i, but was worried about the fuel efficiency and stiff suspension. I usually travel around with my family and the stiff set up might make them feel uncomfortable.

Regarding the C300D, there is no display car nor the test drive available at the moment. When inquired with Mercedes, they have C220D available for test drive and nothing else. I might need to wait or just book the car going by the reviews online.

Gosh the spare parts are really costly in these Germans.

Quote:
That is a staggering difference. I was thinking it to be a maximum of 10L.
Yes I will check this out formally with BMW and then take a call on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojas View Post
My recommendation is to go for the used one.
I also learnt that they have removed the Laser headlights module from the M sport variants and no longer available due to chip shortage issue.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st June 2022 at 07:09. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Optimus_1408 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 08:49   #10
BHPian

Mate, head straight to the new G30. We have a G30 in the family, bought new now at 88k kms. Still drives like day one, eager as always and takes on anything on road.

All thanks to the extended warranties and LCI - zero headache. Many things including intercooler, few electronics under front bumper failed, but we never felt the pinch.
noufal.ps is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 10:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I'm in my late thirties and looking for a luxury sedan with adequate horsepower.

Also, after having the car inspected by BMW service (360 check), will we be allowed to purchase warranty if it has expired?

In terms of the LCI, I believe that due to the chip scarcity, certain features such as 360 camera and parking via BMW display key have been discontinued and I am not sure about other features, if they are the same. Also there is no test drive available for 530D nor a display car.

Thanks in advance.
Dont even think about option-2, even if you have that sort of change available at your disposal. After all its an investment on depriciating asset. Plus 12000 kms is not used in my opinion. I myself bought one at 7800 kms, 18 month old 530d for 47 ++ lacs. I felt that too higher. Yes, the engine and power is sweet and good to have but not must have. Practicality will haunt you after initial dust of hard driving settles down. Also, do not forget the G30 older the better, if you get a good and clean example of 2017 launch version with all bells and whistles, you will get more car for your money.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 12:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Have you considered the 520d? The 530d is a hoot to drive; having said that the 520d is no slouch. It is approx. 83L on road in Bangalore.

A fellow member recently got a demo 520d LCI with 7k on the odo for under 70L in Hyderabad

Last edited by rpunwani : 2nd June 2022 at 12:12.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 12:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Do not buy any G series BMW without warranty coverage. My 2021 530d has already had the water pump and one adaptive damper replaced under warranty. They are not as trouble free as F series cars.

Out of warranty, the damper would've cost 1L+ and the water pump work has a ton of labour involved because the crank pulley needs to come off.

BMW still gives 360deg camera for the 30d M Sport. Not sure whether this has changed in the last month or so.

As for whether it is worth the 91L I paid OTR in Kerala, well, that's subjective, isn't it? A C300d is a super highly strung 4 pot with an average transmission. A 530d is a very sedately tuned straight six, with the hardware that will do 340+BHP in other tune levels, mated to the best automatic transmission in the world. And besides, even with the reduced reliability with the G series BMWs, if you're the kind who likes to keep their cars long term, BMWs are easier to maintain aftermarket than moden Benzes. Sure, parts are easy to come by, but diagnostics and electronics are a different level of difficulty.

I've already covered nearly 18k KM, with two more months to go to the one year mark. I take it everywhere - even in cramped KL roads, it's my vehicle of choice. Why did I buy this thing, if not to drive?

If you're set on buying used, definitely wait for one to pop up with the warranty intact so you can extend it further.

As for the M340i, it does feel rather special inside with the different seat materials and a few other unique touches. And the B58 motor is one the greatest. Fuel economy aside, that is one superb package. If you want economy with that kind of power, there is the i4, which will cost less than the M340i on the road thanks to tax benefits. Similar kind of power, superb range...

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 2nd June 2022 at 12:21.
ImmortalZ is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 12:19   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

The used G30 seems like a no-brainer since the cost difference is a lot (like 33%). You need not worry about service and spares as the money you'll save will take care of it (even if you are unable to get a new warranty). 12000km is barely any running for a 530d and these things are relatively reliable.

OT: In hindsight, I wish I'd gone for software engineering instead of telecom
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 13:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't buy without warranty if it's your first purchase in this segment. One can argue that with the money you save, you can pay for any potential repairs but it's not just about money. You will have a lot of anxiety about things going wrong and the extent of the potential damage to your finances.

Be on the lookout for a used car with warranty, so you can have the cake and eat it.

If I am buying a car without warranty, I would opt for a slightly more depreciated car instead of almost-new out of warranty cars. Basically, I don't want to an out of warranty almost-new car for 20L less and end up with 10L repair project. I would be more willing to accept a 40L savings with a potential 10L repair. A serious repair will cost the same irrespective of how old the car is.

In short, buy with warranty if paying 70% or more of new car price.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks