Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2022, 23:50   #16
BHPian

re: Looking at buying a Range Rover Velar | Need advice | EDIT: Got the BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananbanka View Post
We picked up the Velar over a year ago, and it was definitely a heart over the head decision! During the purchase period we test drove the X5, F-Pace and the Q8. The GLE wasn't available for a TD at the time.
I can 100% relate to you. Its the same story here, it is only the heart which is pushing me for the Velar because of the looks and the brand value(which is lil above the Germans), the head is not convinced at all mainly because of the reliability issues that we keep hearing quite often.
I can bear with less engine power as I am more of a sedate driver but this reliability issues are the biggest deal breaker since I plan to keep this car for minimum 6 Years.

Can u please share with me as to how your ownership experience has been and if you have faced any issues with your Velar in the last 1 year ?
I have heard from quite a few that there are some strange software issues wherein the infotainment system and other features stops working totally or on and off within few weeks/months of the ownership ?

Quote:
The X5 was only written off because we did not like the way it looks. We didn't pick the Q8 because it was about 15% more expensive at the time, and out of our budget, else that would have been the car we purchased!
Again, quite similar reasoning here as well. The X5 is mainly rejected for its front end looks and no option of back seat reclining . Had Q8 been on the same price as Velar, I would have taken that extra step and went ahead with it. Having said that, there is one more hitch for Q8 that my wifey does not want to spend such an amount and buy an Audi (no offence to any Audi owners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Friend of mine switched from an XC90 to a Q8 - more for tax depreciation purposes and sometime new. Apart from the refined engine, he felt it was a downgrade in terms of interiors and features.
No doubt, XC 90 seems to be a great product(I haven't driven it, just saying on the basis of what reviews say) but due to its brand value in India and the size, it was not in our list of contenders .
Old 24th August 2022, 23:52   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddndrive View Post

No doubt, XC 90 seems to be a great product(I haven't driven it, just saying on the basis of what reviews say) but due to its brand value in India and the size, it was not in our list of contenders .
There is a new XC90 around the corner. Again the petrol engine is said to be not so inspiring
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 23:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
There is a new XC90 around the corner. Again the petrol engine is said to be not so inspiring
Thanks Ajmat for the suggestion but like I mentioned in my previous post that due to the brand value of Volvo in the Indian car market, it is not in our list.
Old 25th August 2022, 09:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I can 100% relate to you. Its the same story here, it is only the heart which is pushing me for the Velar because of the looks and the brand value(which is lil above the Germans), the head is not convinced at all mainly because of the reliability issues that we keep hearing quite often.
I can bear with less engine power as I am more of a sedate driver but this reliability issues are the biggest deal breaker since I plan to keep this car for minimum 6 Years.

Can u please share with me as to how your ownership experience has been and if you have faced any issues with your Velar in the last 1 year ?
I have heard from quite a few that there are some strange software issues wherein the infotainment system and other features stops working totally or on and off within few weeks/months of the ownership ?
The Velar came across as a premium car when compared to the X3/X4 or Q5 or GLC when we were researching. It didn't really come across as a more premium car when compared to the X5 or Q8. At least, that is what we felt, in the family. Even though it is sold under the Range Rover family, I have not felt it commands the same premium as a Sport or LWB in general conversations.

My ownership experience has been largely fuss-free. We had an accident a couple of months ago, and the insurance process w/ Marqland was smooth. The issue was that they didn't have some basic parts in stock and the paint job wasn't upto standard - but these experiences really vary from dealer to dealer. Concerning the infotainment system, its gotten a lot better with updates. In fact, they enabled wireless CarPlay with a software update which has been a welcome addition! About the infotainment misbehaving, there have been a couple of times where I needed to restart the vehicle, but it's the same story with my Superb or even my Verna. So, I won't heed too much into those reports. By and large, everything works exactly how it is supposed to.

As someone who has had the car for over a year, I'd recommend you buy it if you like the way it looks, and the Land Rover brand it comes with. It's a relatively old car and reliability concerns should have been ironed out. Get the extended warranty and you'll be fine! We did that too. But if you want your money's worth, the X5 and Q8 are better cars. BMW & Audi also offer discounts unlike JLR.
ananbanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 12:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
The Velar came across as a premium car when compared to the X3/X4 or Q5 or GLC when we were researching. It didn't really come across as a more premium car when compared to the X5 or Q8. At least, that is what we felt, in the family. Even though it is sold under the Range Rover family
I agree with you. After seeing Velar, we went to see Q8 and we felt Q8 interiors more luxurious and the car overall felt more premium .

Quote:
ownership experience has been largely fuss-free. We had an accident a couple of months ago, and the insurance process w/ Marqland was smooth. The issue was that they didn't have some basic parts in stock and the paint job wasn't upto standard - but these experiences really vary from dealer to dealer.
Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope it was a minor one. Availability of spare parts have always been a concern across all service centres of JLR.(even the staff agrees to the same as I got to speak to 2-3 people).
Most of them don't have even the basic parts in stock and I have heard cars standing at their workshop for weeks and even months for non availability of spare parts.

Quote:
someone who has had the car for over a year, I'd recommend you buy it if you like the way it looks, and the Land Rover brand it comes with. It's a relatively old car and reliability concerns should have been ironed out. Get the extended warranty and you'll be fine! We did that too. But if you want your money's worth, the X5 and Q8 are better cars. BMW & Audi also offer discounts unlike JLR.
Thanks for giving that confidence for Velar, much needed
Initially when I enquired about the X5(a month ago) ,there were no discounts and the base version was on waiting for a month but yes Audi is offering discounts on the celebration variant .
When you drive and sit in a Q8, it seems a segment higher than a Velar but like I mentioned in my previous posts as well, the main factor of not able to take a call for Q8 is the brand value of Audi in India .
Old 29th August 2022, 18:54   #21
BHPian

Test Drove the Velar for almost an hour yesterday to take that final decision but after a long drive I am not convinced for spending 1 cr on this car . Unfortunately, Velar is now out of the contenders list.

Now when the Velar is out, I am too confused .
Kindly advice guys what to do, Shall I focus on Q8 now or any other option or shall I postpone the plan for few months till some facelifts or new options come in the market?
ddndrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 19:25   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Test Drove the Velar for almost an hour yesterday to take that final decision but after a long drive I am not convinced for spending 1 cr on this car . Unfortunately, Velar is now out of the contenders list.
What was the reason Velar did not make it? Was it the luxury quotient or the engine power and handling?
Old 30th August 2022, 17:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
What was the reason Velar did not make it? Was it the luxury quotient or the engine power and handling?
The reason was a combination of many things like reliability, price, less engine power, less space etc. We were trying to compromise on all these things but the main deal breaker was that while doing the extensive road test, I did not feel that wow factor which I expected from a car of this price range.
ddndrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 18:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I was in the same situation some time back.
The black Velar in Taki-Taki song by DJ Snake was good to steal my heart.
But the mind said F-Pace with same engine, coming like 10 lakhs cheaper.
X4 looked too quirky to my wife, though my opinion didn't matter.
X5 looks are okayish but both Velar/F-Pace look better (personal opinion).

Took test drive for both - Velar and F-Pace; almost finalized F-Pace but heart said something is still missing.

Then came Porsche Macan and my heart zinged!
- For the sake of stiff sportiness, we feel all the unevenness of the roads.
- A Honda City fits more bags than Macan, but does it matter?
- There are only four cylinders, but still good enough to make the people around you, really envy.
- Every upgrade option is pricey, but the smile we get is priceless!

I did from Delhi -> Manali -> Baralacha La, this June. The way Macan conquered the bad roads/no-roads/on-road streams, it is commendable.
I also met a Velar and a GLE on the way.
While the Velar was returning from Leh like a winner, the GLE was broken; riding a flatbed on its way to Chandigarh.

Both Velar and Macan met again at Atal Tunnel, North Portal.
People took more selfies with Macan than with Velar.

If you loved 320D, you should try Macan.
gyanbaba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 11:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyanbaba View Post
If you loved 320D, you should try Macan.
Thanks for your suggestion. I have always been a Porsche lover and Porsche Cayenne has been my dream SUV since last many years but for Macan my better half is not convinced as she feels it looks too small from the outside.
She wants something which has a good road presence, hence the Macan was not in the list.
Old 31st August 2022, 12:25   #26
BHPian

Macan is flawed for many but it addressed the flaws what Cayenne had.
Cayenne gives you a feeling of driving an SUV but Macan gives you zing!
It has the DNA of a sports car without you worrying about the potholes.

Quote:
I have always been a Porsche lover and Porsche Cayenne has been my dream SUV since last many years but for Macan my better half is not convinced as she feels it looks too small from the outside.
The looks may lie. Macan is like a hatch but not so small. (My better half was able to convince the toll guy at SADA barrier (Atal Tunnel North Portal, Lahaul) that this is not an SUV, and saved 100/- ).

Macan is still wider and longer than Scorpio-N, what Mahindra calls as 'the Baap of Indian SUVs'.

You will realize the Macan's true size if you reach out to any detailing/PPF guy.
Their standard 5 ft' Paint Protection Film (PPF) sheets that they use for X5, don't fit Macan. Rather Macan needs an extra-wide 6 ft' PPF sheet, which is way costlier.

Have a test drive of both Macan and Cayenne, back-to-back, and then a decision would be easier.
gyanbaba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 14:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyanbaba View Post
Have a test drive of both Macan and Cayenne, back-to-back, and then a decision would be easier.
Cayenne is out of my budget hence I would avoid taking a test drive. But ya will try Macan for sure now after reading your post.
Old 16th September 2022, 17:56   #28
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Here is a small update: Since the Velar was out, I have been getting calls from a dealer in Punjab for a New Range Rover Sport SE MY 2022 model .

He says, it was booked for some other client but since his loan did not get approve, he can offer the same car to me. The car shall be coming to their showroom sometime next week.

He says this is the last lot of this model and he is offering me on road price of Rs. 1.15 cr with no discount.

Is it worth spending so much amount on a model which is now discontinued?

I am too confused, the price seems tempting(since Velar is now more than 1 cr , Q8 at 1.25 cr) but is it worth buying a car which is already discontinued with no discount ?

On the other side, the only reason I am little inclined is that this could be the last chance to own a brand new sport at this price since the on road price of the new Sport in India will be almost 2 cr on road(with 3 litre engine).

Please Advice.

Last edited by ddndrive : 16th September 2022 at 18:07.
Old 16th September 2022, 18:44   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He says this is the last lot of this model and he is offering me on road price of Rs. 1.15 cr with no discount.

I am too confused, the price seems tempting(since Velar is now more than 1 cr , Q8 at 1.25 cr) but is it worth buying a car which is already discontinued with no discount ?
At that price I feel its a no brainer, as people are selling used cars done more than 30k kms for prices higher than that (before negotiation of course). But its certainly worth considering, as long as its a clean deal.
Akshay1234 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 19:04   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a small update: Since the Velar was out, I have been getting calls from a dealer in Punjab for a New Range Rover Sport SE MY 2022 model .

I would say go ahead, 15 odd Lakhs over the Velar for the RR Sport is a great offer, absolutely nothing like it!

Btw, which engine does it have? Is it a 2L/3L Petrol/Diesel?

Last option can be the X5 30d/40i. These things have massive presence out on the road as well!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 16th September 2022 at 19:05.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks