Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2022, 19:10   #31
BHPian

re: Looking at buying a Range Rover Velar | Need advice | EDIT: Got the BMW X5

Thanks for the advice Akshay1234 and CEF_Beasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Btw, which engine does it have? Is it a 2L/3L Petrol/Diesel?
Its a 2 Litre petrol, same engine of Velar. Also, if I am not wrong I don't think they launched 3 litre in Sport in India .

Last edited by ddndrive : 16th September 2022 at 19:13.
ddndrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 19:15   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddndrive View Post
Its A 2 Litre petrol.
Try pushing the price further south if possible, in all honesty spending 1CR + and yet getting only a 2L 4 cylinder motor is something I can’t fathom !!

1CR + deserves 6 cylinders.

I would suggest you to please have a look at the X5 as well…
CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 19:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Here is a small update: Since the Velar was out, I have been getting calls from a dealer in Punjab for a New Range Rover Sport SE MY 2022 model .

He says, it was booked for some other client but since his loan did not get approve, he can offer the same car to me. The car shall be coming to their showroom sometime next week.

He says this is the last lot of this model and he is offering me on road price of Rs. 1.15 cr with no discount.
Wow that’s fantastic pricing for Sport. Absolute no brainer.
If for some reason you wouldn’t be interested in the car, could you please forward me the contact of the dealer & sales guy in question?

Last edited by Dante : 16th September 2022 at 20:08.
Old 17th September 2022, 00:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Try pushing the price further south if possible, in all honesty spending 1CR + and yet getting only a 2L 4 cylinder motor is something I can’t fathom !!
They aren't ready to offer a single rupee discount, they are on cloud nine and they are just trying to make me realise that I have got a golden opportunity to buy Sport at this price and this opportunity wont come back ever

Quote:
1CR + deserves 6 cylinders.

I would suggest you to please have a look at the X5 as well…
I totally agree. If we take the badge of Range rover sport out, I would have never considered a discontinued car at full MRP and that too a 2.0 litre engine.

X5 somehow does not tick the major boxes which is kind of mandatory in our selection of cars . Front looks ,interiors and rear back seat are 3 major points where X5 lack, hence it does not give us a 1cr car feel. Driving pleasure etc yes but my better half is not convinced with an X5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Wow that’s fantastic pricing for Sport. Absolute no brainer.
If for some reason you wouldn’t be interested in the car, could you please forward me the contact of the dealer & sales guy in question?
Sure, I will.
Old 17th September 2022, 00:19   #35
BHPian

One good thing happened today, when I received the offer from JLR dealership for Sport, I called one of the sales person in Audi(Punjab) who has been in touch with me from last few weeks and I told him about this offer and he asked me to give him time to meet tomorrow as he will try to match this offer for Q8.

So guys, if Audi guys also offer me a Q8 Celebration model around same price of 1.15 Cr OTR, what do you suggest, which one I should choose between Sport and Q8?

On one hand I have a Range rover which has a huge snob value between all the German and other brands along with excellent comfort and a clean/timeless design but the downsides are Zero discounts, its a 2.0 litre petrol engine, not so great reliability and a model which is now discontinued.
On the other hand I have an Audi which has the worst snob value amongst all the German brands but the model is latest MY 2023 with 3 litre engine and better reliability than a RR .

Which one shall I choose? Kindly advice

Last edited by ddndrive : 17th September 2022 at 00:20.
Old 17th September 2022, 06:54   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On one hand I have a Range rover which has a huge snob value between all the German and other brands along with excellent comfort and a clean/timeless design but the downsides are Zero discounts, its a 2.0 litre petrol engine, not so great reliability and a model which is now discontinued.

On the other hand I have an Audi which has the worst snob value amongst all the German brands but the model is latest MY 2023 with 3 litre engine and better reliability than a RR .
You already have your answer in your statements.

Go for RR only if you care about snob value.

Q8 for everything else.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 10:50   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Go for RR only if you care about snob value
Also I think RR will fetch much more higher resale value compared to Q8
Old 17th September 2022, 11:47   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

This seems like a typical husband and wife disagreement, I experience it on a daily basis However in matters of cars, I have negociated veto power. I bought my wife the F-pace as a "surprise" (Bro tip: Once it's a surprise they don't have a choice) and I bought my sister the Macan, also as a "surprise". Both of them love their cars!

The reason I also say this is because the Macan and F-pace(aka Velar without air suspension) were your options and frankly the Macan is the BEST drivers SUV. Even though on paper both these cars are similar power, the Macan is just so much quicker and more fun! My sister self drives and my wife does not drive(thankfully)

Your heart seems set on the Q8 and you wife likes it besides the price, hence why not look at a preowned option? There have been quite a few on sale on BBT. This could win you the battle both ways.

If you are not buying the Q7 coz it's at the end of it's life cycle then why consider the RR sport which is already discontinued?
I personally think the Q7 is your best option, I personally prefer it to the Q8
Sahil is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 12:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have negociated veto power.!
Quote:
The reason I also say this is because the Macan and F-pace(aka Velar without air suspension) were your options and frankly the Macan is the BEST drivers SUV.
Thanks for your advice and I would have loved to use my veto power as well here but the honest answer is that I am myself not convinced with Macan due to its size, space and road presence of the car(no offence to any owners)

Quote:
If you are not buying the Q7 coz it's at the end of it's life cycle then why consider the RR sport which is already discontinued?
The main reason is the snob value and re-sale value that a Sport carries. From what I can understand after talking to few JLR dealers is that even if JLR plans to bring in the 2.0L engine in New Sport, the OTR would not be less than 1.5Cr in India. So, I believe the re-sale of Sport will always be better than Audi. Please correct me if I am wrong
Having said that, I would have hands down gone ahead with Q8 if Audi had a better brand value(which they had few years ago), similar to BM and Mercs in India(wifey has a huge say here regarding brand choice. lol.)

Quote:
I personally think the Q7 is your best option, I personally prefer it to the Q8
Kindly share your reasons as to why Q7 is a better bet than a Q8. I know its a pure VFM car(compared to other options in the market) but after discounts the OTR price difference between the two in now not more than 12-13 Lac.
Old 17th September 2022, 13:11   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

I have no knowledge about these cars but your dilemma is surely a familiar one when it comes to high value purchases. I would say go with RR Sport - as you clearly seem to have a special feeling for this car compared to other cars. That 1cr you spend better make you feel special. Intangibles matter, otherwise a Kodiaq is all we would ever need in our country.

You alone can decide what would make you feel special. One man's trash is another man's treasure. I personally would not care about 3.0L as long as the car has adequate power to handle all driving situations. I also don't mind if the model is discontinued if it allows me to buy a car from a higher segment that I would not be able to afford otherwise. RR designs look smashing and age very well.

The real obstacle to overcome is the reliability track record of RR - you will have to do more homework on that (checking with owners in India and reading up model specific international car forums). Usually, products tend to be reasonably reliable as they approach the end of sales cycle.

Last edited by androdev : 17th September 2022 at 13:12.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 14:13   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Would you ever repent for a moment when you see a RR on the road while you are driving down in your Audi? The fact you are back to considering a Sport after the Velar experience shows your preference. Go ahead with it as it's your personal preference (which will differ from each of us).

After buying a car, you get used to the interiors and the driving experience. The comparison to a bigger engine or a tighter handling ends ends with the test drives. To the outer world, it's badge that's seen and not the engine/chassis underneath.

PS: RR will have far better snob value than a Q8(even if it's a Urus underneath). Just as Audi will have a far better brand value than a Skoda/VW. Q8 looks very uninspiring to me.

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th September 2022 at 14:15.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 15:21   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

So, I believe the re-sale of Sport will always be better than Audi. Please correct me if I am wrong

Kindly share your reasons as to why Q7 is a better bet than a Q8. I know its a pure VFM car(compared to other options in the market) but after discounts the OTR price difference between the two in now not more than 12-13 Lac.
Firstly, the RR sport previous gen looks dated now compared to the new gen. I dont agree buying a car with resale value in mind. The market is too volatile, especially right now hence the value you think you will sell at might not be true. I infact think the resale value of the RR sport previous gen will drop drastically since its out of production.

The Q7 in it's facelift is a much better overall package compared to the Q8 which IMO looks quirky. I find the Q7 a lot better looking. It has amazing suspension and very spacious even when compared to the RR sport. It is significantly cheaper than the RR sport which isn't given any more value besides brag value. The Q8 also IMO isn't giving much more value compared to the Q7 to justify the 15% extra.
Audi knows it's bad image has taken a hit and the discounted/lower pricing is in line to make up for that. Can't fault the product for the perception.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 11:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Me and my family did not like the front end design of X5
(Macan) is too small in size
Resonating with ddndrive about options in this budget, struggling to find options that match\exceed the "presence" of our decade old Fortuner. So far, have found Velar seductive, and curious about Jaguar i-Pace (anyone here having experience\feedback?).
Old 21st September 2022, 22:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
That 1cr you spend better make you feel special. Intangibles matter, otherwise a Kodiaq is all we would ever need in our country.
Thanks for your advice. You are bang on. This is the heart of the matter. Brand value matters otherwise like you rightly mentioned a Kodiaq too ticks most of the boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I also don't mind if the model is discontinued if it allows me to buy a car from a higher segment that I would not be able to afford otherwise. RR designs look smashing and age very well.
This is one of the main reasons why my preference is still a discontinued RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Would you ever repent for a moment when you see a RR on the road while you are driving down in your Audi?
Highly likely.

Quote:
The Q7 in it's facelift is a much better overall package compared to the Q8 which IMO looks quirky. I find the Q7 a lot better looking. It has amazing suspension and very spacious even when compared to the RR sport. It is significantly cheaper than the RR sport which isn't given any more value besides brag value. The Q8 also IMO isn't giving much more value compared to the Q7 to justify the 15% extra.
Audi knows it's bad image has taken a hit and the discounted/lower pricing is in line to make up for that. Can't fault the product for the perception.
Thanks for your advice Sahil but like I have mentioned in one of my other post that with Q7 we have 2 issues, one is the brand image of Audi and second one is the age of the current model. However, I totally agree with you on Q7, there is no car which convinces your head more than Q7 due to the price, size, features etc that Audi is giving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
Resonating with ddndrive about options in this budget, struggling to find options that match\exceed the "presence" of our decade old Fortuner. So far, have found Velar seductive, and curious about Jaguar i-Pace (anyone here having experience\feedback?).
Trust me, my last 2 months of experience says that this segment is one of the tough ones to decide(specially if you are looking to buy an SUV).
I think there are 2 main reasons why most of us are not able to take decisions immediately(inspite of shortlisting the car/s), first reason of course is the lack of supply/long waiting period but I believe the main reason is the crazy prices which are up by 15-20% in the last 1-2 years.

A Velar which was retailing 2 years ago at Rs. 80 Lac on road, Delhi is now selling at 1.03 Cr. X5 which was retailing at 80-95 lac in 2019 is now 90-1.10 cr. GLE which was launched at Rs. 73 Lac(x showroom) is now 85 lac.
No matter what additional features get loaded but its difficult to convince yourself when you see such price increase by manufacturers on the same generation of cars.

I have seen some people deferring their decision of buying a new car as they feel those crazy discount thing will start happening again soon. I personally don't think the situation is gonna improve and manufacturers will cut prices or give crazy discounts at least in the next 1 year(I hope I am proved wrong) and by the time they start giving good discounts, the prices after discount would be almost similar to the ex showroom prices currently.

Whats your take guys, will the same pre-covid buyer's market be back again or will manufacturers continue with the same strategy for next few years to come?

Last edited by ddndrive : 21st September 2022 at 22:43.
Old 21st September 2022, 22:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:
No matter what additional features get loaded but its difficult to convince yourself when you see such price increase by manufacturers on the same generation of cars.
Actually features are disappearing. I was shocked to learn that X5 doesn't come with SKYROOF anymore (spec sheet attached)

Any idea on size of discounts on the X5 M40i petrol?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks