Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2011, 23:21   #76
BHPian

Re: Need Advice: 2nd hand Mercedes E200 Diesel German

Well the W124 Mercs has been known to be pretty reliable and requires very little maintence. But do realise if a problem does crop up or you meet with an accident spares of a Merc would be more expensive than a Toyota. Both models seem to have racked up a fairly decent amount of kms, but I guessing the conditions aren't half as bad as Indian metros.
I would personally go in for the Merc mainly cos of the solid build (unlike the W210) and it's somewhat classic looks.
Old 26th September 2011, 02:17   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
Well the W124 Mercs has been known to be pretty reliable and requires very little maintence. But do realise if a problem does crop up or you meet with an accident spares of a Merc would be more expensive than a Toyota. Both models seem to have racked up a fairly decent amount of kms, but I guessing the conditions aren't half as bad as Indian metros.
I would personally go in for the Merc mainly cos of the solid build (unlike the W210) and it's somewhat classic looks.
thanks a ton for your reply. Counts a lot!
I'm planning on visiting a retail chain that stocks parts for all cars here and enquire about the usually required spares like filters, etc.
And I also plan to visit the service centre where the car was serviced for the last 12 years and ask them for some input on this specific model.
Yup, conditions here are not bad at all. Infact I could compare the ride quality to any 3-4 old car in India.

That's why I attached the pictures too so that you guys could have a look and keep in mind the condition while advising.

I fell in love with the sturdiness of the car. Feels like a dream to drive.

Please keep the suggestions pouring in.

And how many Kms can I expect the Mercedes engine to clock before it needs an overhaul?
Is there anything I am missing out that I should keep in mind?
Thanks again!
Old 26th September 2011, 08:49   #78
Team-BHP Support

E200 diesel - it is slow
You also mention that it is a 1998 model, w124's were phased out in 1996 except in India nad no E200 D's were made there so check the vehicle details closely.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 13:49   #79
BHPian

Sorry to spoil your party but being a student means cash is limited.I would strongly suggest you go for the toyota?also would a lesser run car be that much expensive?Are you sure you cant spend anything more?If so how would you be able to afford maintaining a merc?

There is a very strong reason why old mercs have poor residual value.The huge maintenance costs!

There is plenty of time for you to chase your dreams.My advise would be to go for a car thats easy on your pocket so that you wont feel a pinch.
revintup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 13:33   #80
BHPian

Re: Mercedes E-Class (W124) Used Value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Can I get some input on how much a 2nd hand Mercedes E220 should be worth? Built between '96 & '98. I am looking for one around the Mumbai/Pune area.
What are servicing costs like? A roadside mechanic said around Rs10,000 for a service.
What are parts availability like?
Is it worth going for one? Initially it would be my only car until I pick up a small run around.

Thanks
I have a W 124, '97, original dark silver, original black leather interiors, approx. 1,33,000 Kms, new windscreen,
new Michelin tires 1500 Kms, excellent condition, asking price Rs 4,00,000.
My contact: shramik@masturlal.com
Do contact if you are interested.
Old 20th May 2012, 16:23   #81
BHPian

The 'Tata' w124's are now available for between 175,000/- to 300,000/- in Mumbai for the petrol and 300,000/- to 400,000/- for the diesel

I have had a diesel for 6 years now. best car in the world. Yes they are very very reliable. Never broken down or stopped on me anywhere in the country

But if anyone tells you, you can keep a merc on the cheap, they are wrong. If you do jugaad and stuff, of course you can keep it going for a few bucks. But then it wont be reliable. Will just look nice in your parking space

If you keep it well (and I am not talking authorized service center here), please look at spending 50k a year on an average if not more

Remember, everything is big. The tyres will set you back 18k for 4 new ones. Oil change will be 7k min if you use synthetic oil. There is stuff in routine maintenance you have to do as you put on the miles.

But still after 6 years and 100,000kms with my car, I can think of no other to replace it. The front wheel drive Japs just don't have the feel and the new MBA's (Merc/BMW/Audi) are the shortest route to turning your cash into trash
53BHP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 15:33   #82
BHPian

Reviving an old thread.

I'm currently looking to get myself a car after being without one for the past 4 years. While doing round at some local dealers I chanced upon a 1995 W-124 (http://pune.quikr.com/Vintage-MERCED...AdIdZ144246288)

The 124 has been a dream car for me since I rode in one as a kid. But I have no clue on its maintenance or upkeep cost. Although not being on my priority list the heart is pulling me towards it.

1) If at all I decide to buy it I need to be sure on the running cost as it is going to be my daily drive with a running of close to or over 1200 Km/month on PETROL!
2) I may have a few or even almost all the BHPians pouncing on me for this; can or is it even possible to consider an alternate fuel arrangement on this vehicle?
3) I will need help for some knowledgeable & willing BHPian to have a look at this 124

Cutting it short is it worth listening to the heart in this case?
Old 20th January 2014, 13:25   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuseinZS View Post
Reviving an old thread.

I'm currently looking to get myself a car after being without one for the past 4 years. While doing round at some local dealers I chanced upon a 1995 W-124 (http://pune.quikr.com/Vintage-MERCED...AdIdZ144246288)

The 124 has been a dream car for me since I rode in one as a kid. But I have no clue on its maintenance or upkeep cost. Although not being on my priority list the heart is pulling me towards it.

1) If at all I decide to buy it I need to be sure on the running cost as it is going to be my daily drive with a running of close to or over 1200 Km/month on PETROL!
2) I may have a few or even almost all the BHPians pouncing on me for this; can or is it even possible to consider an alternate fuel arrangement on this vehicle?
3) I will need help for some knowledgeable & willing BHPian to have a look at this 124

Come on this thread, Lots of people of help you
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ort-group.html
Old 30th January 2014, 18:46   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuseinZS View Post
Reviving an old thread.

The car in the ad seems to have Airbags. If it is really a single owner car it seems reasonable, the paint scheme is apparently not the original, the seat fabric is the original pattern. These cars last well beyond the 6 digit mark if there have been regular oil changes. Check if the service record is available, if not try to get it for a lower price as there seems to be a discrepancy in the kilometers covered - is it 88,595 or 124,000. The hood Tri-star is missing. The car weighs over 1.5 tons, my feeling is that LPG / CNG could render the car only a showpiece without power and not fit for daily use. Happy hunting !
Karadi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 11:00   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
The car in the ad seems to have Airbags. If it is really a single owner car it seems reasonable, the paint scheme is apparently not the original, the seat fabric is the original pattern. These cars last well beyond the 6 digit mark if there have been regular oil changes. Check if the service record is available, if not try to get it for a lower price as there seems to be a discrepancy in the kilometers covered - is it 88,595 or 124,000. The hood Tri-star is missing. The car weighs over 1.5 tons, my feeling is that LPG / CNG could render the car only a showpiece without power and not fit for daily use. Happy hunting !
Paint job is definitely custom, Red car, white roof like a mini cooper. Lower body is painted grey.
I would suggest check the colour mentioned in the RC book. MH14G is around late 1997 registration so it should be Indian (Tata-Mercedes) make only. I don"t think this shade of red was offered. Anyways, color is a matter of personal choice and should the least to worry about.

Check all electronics (ABS, Airbags), rust in all nooks/underbody,any welding marks (signs of accidents)and any Taiwanese parts. Run away if you find any issues there, otherwise everything else is easy to do up

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 31st January 2014 at 11:04.
Old 31st January 2014, 14:13   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Paint job is definitely custom, Red car, white roof like a mini cooper. Lower body is painted grey.
I would suggest check the colour mentioned in the RC book. MH14G is around late 1997 registration so it should be Indian (Tata-Mercedes) make only. I don"t think this shade of red was offered. Anyways, color is a matter of personal choice and should the least to worry about.

Check all electronics (ABS, Airbags), rust in all nooks/underbody,any welding marks (signs of accidents)and any Taiwanese parts. Run away if you find any issues there, otherwise everything else is easy to do up
I suppose the car is from Nagpur (MH14 ?) in which case the rust should be minimal !
Old 31st January 2014, 14:19   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
I suppose the car is from Nagpur (MH14 ?) in which case the rust should be minimal !
MH14 is Pimpre chinchwad RTO in Pune ( where MBIL factory lies). In 15-20 years you never know where the car has been to. My car is MH14G but spent spent most of its life in Delhi and some in Mumbai.
Also, rusting is higher in Sea side towns but only relatively . One can find rust free cars in Mumbai and totally rusted cars in dry towns. It all depends on maintenance. I would say, look for it extensively yourself and not to assume that it would be fine.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 31st January 2014 at 14:21.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 14:31   #88
Senior - BHPian

Guys what would be a deçent price for a 95 W124 E300D? It would be an import as what I understand that 300D was not made available in India, or was it?
Old 3rd September 2016, 15:18   #89
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Going by prices that I have seen online - anywhere between 3-5 lakhs for decent ones and probably 5-7 lakhs for a very well maintained one. Check this thread for more info :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-reviews.html

The only 2 engine options available on the Indian W124 was the E220 and E250D. Most of the imported W124 however were 300D's.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 16:05   #90
BHPian

How much can I expect for my '96 W124 250D which is in a decent condition, if I am selling it in Pune. What do you guys think?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks