Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you were me, which one will you pick?
M340i 177 76.96%
330i 31 13.48%
Too kool for skool wildcard (S5, 530D, etc..) 22 9.57%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2023, 12:35   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW M340i vs 330i GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWings View Post
Hello Team BHP Members,

I’ve been a [b]BMW fanboy ever since I sat in a 1990 530i...

I’m 90% sold on the M340i, here is my dilemma....
I suggest you read your own post again and you have your answer. You are all sold for M340i, 330i seems just another replica (first copy). With budget not a problem for you, enjoy that sweet 6 cylinder symphony.

Although 330i is no slouch, there is no replacement for displacement.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th April 2023 at 12:44. Reason: Trimmed quote
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 17:04   #17
BHPian

I have voted for M340i blindly given the OP's circumstances of no budget constraint and being single (not too much concerned about backseat).

Now, I am in quite a similar dilemma but my circumstances aren't exactly the same.
  • Stretching my budget quite a bit to reach 84L on-road (76L with BH reg) for the M340i. I can comfortably afford the 330Li or the Merc A35 AMG.
  • Took TDs of A35 AMG, 330Li and the M340i. While the A35 felt great and the 330Li felt good, the M340i felt ecstatic & kept me awake several nights after. But the M340i felt significantly stiffer and family wasn't too happy (yes, I do have use of the backseats for my sister and sometimes parents)
  • My heart screams for the M340i and hearing that scream, my family is willing to compromise both on comfort and the budget but I keep debating in my mind.
  • My present car is a 2019 Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K and it has spoilt the family with comfort and me with class leading performance. Before the Octy, I relished a 1.6 TDI (2014) manual Rapid.
  • I would be trading my Octavia for the next car and therefore, it would be my only car and a a daily drive. My daily drive involves less than 4km traffic-less driving in Mumbai (yes I am one of the few lucky ones). But I do fairly decent number of long drives to Goa, Kerala etc.

I would be grateful if fellow BHP-ians can advise and perhaps help me make the right decision.
Should I consider the S5 also and perhaps take a TD? With Audi recently dropping the price due to localisation (and me having offer of employee discount from a friend's friend), I can get the S5 with BH reg almost at the M340i price with regular registration.

And no, I am not considering an SUV as I love Sedans way too much and want to have one last hurrah before the IC Engine cars go down the horizon.

Sincere thanks to all the kind souls of the fellow enthusiasts in anticipation of pearls of wisdom from them.
mrinmoy_s is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 17:08   #18
BHPian

What you need is a beater car and a chauffeur. An m340i is over kill for city driving. The stiff suspension is pointless. Most importantly, it's very bad for the car to be driven in such conditions full time. Get something with a soft suspension that's comfortable. Maybe a superb. Even a 530i is not ideal for daily driving. You need to have a second car for everyday driving in the city if you're going to opt for a premium sedan. This is my practical opinion.
hrk997 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 17:23   #19
BHPian

The answer also depends on the additional requirements you might have like space on offer and if you prefer more space at offer, and if you usually take the weekend drives on highway. While the Long base has all the creature comforts, from a self drive perse, I would always recommend the M version. While I owned an X3 and loved it for the power at offer, one drive in my friends M series created an itch to upgrade.

Since your dilemma is around the 3 series, it would make better sense to extensively test drive both the variants in city conditions and create a scoring for each of the deciding factors. For the driving pleasure though, there is no match to the M version of BMW. If you are very particular about the space and engine power, then you might want to spend more for a M sport 5 series or X1.
karavadi143 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 18:10   #20
BHPian

Hi,
I own the 530d M Sport (current LCI) and I recently tested the M340i LCI. Though I love my 530d a lot (more luxurious and better interiors with that lovely 3 litre diesel ), I must admit the M340i is just a better handler and far more sportier. That exhaust note in Sport mode is addictive. I would suggest it as your No 1 option. Voted for M340i.
XDriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 18:30   #21
BHPian

I would recommend X3M40i over 340i if the price difference is manageable. X3 will probably serve you for longer (in case you need more space in future) and it is a tad better to drive (maybe just my opinion but I found X3M40i to be a better vehicle than 340 during my test drives).
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 20:45   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Would definitely recommend the M340i. I got the LCI one in Feb, but been busy at work and not finding time to write the ownership report. The ride is firm no doubt, but unless you are on pothole-filled roads nearly all the time, it should not bother you. On smooth roads and highways, the ride is totally fine. No issues with climbing speed breakers, have not scraped the bottom even once in 1600 km so far.

The car is a beast on the freeway. It will feel no different whether you are at 110 or 150. Completely unstressed and speed is completely masked. 100 kph comes up under 1400 rpm - the lowest I have seen on any car including diesel cars! The car is totally relaxed and the mild hybrid system delivers acceptable FE for the power. I got around 9.6 kpl on my long distance trip, with average speed around 120 kph. This is one car that seems to give better mileage when driven slightly harder as compared to making it cruise at very low rpms.

The black interior and roofline is anyday preferable for me than tan leather. I previously had a G30 530i and I know that engine quite well. It is gem also and somehow feels lighter and more eager at lower speeds when feathering the accelerator. But poke hard on the pedal and it is night and day between the 30i and 40i. The sheer roar, snappy response and the shove in the backside that the M340i lets out is of a different order and truly heavenly.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 11th April 2023 at 20:48.
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 21:04   #23
BHPian

If daily driver is your only concern, then go for M340i without any doubts. Simply put, I daily it and don’t find any major drivability concerns within city. On open highways, it is an untouchable beast.
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 22:54   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I’m 90% sold on the M340i, here is my dilemma:
Do I have this all wrong and can it be used as a daily driver? – I will use the car for a 40km commute in Pune traffic, which is interesting at the best of times.
I haven't driven either of the petrol variants on the 3 series but given a chance I'd certainly go for the 340i if money isn't an issue even if YOLO is not your thing.

That said, considering how fuel efficient your current vehicle is (or just if you prefer a frugal lifestyle) the fuel consumption of the 330/340i will take some getting used to.

With the 2/3 wheelers around (now going abuzz like never before) in the city limits I find it impossible to exploit, or even play with the 190 odd Bhp on my A4 between my 60 Km daily commute. With the expressways and national highways getting extremely vigilant over speeding violations your joyrides would normally be restricted to early morning blasts or late night city spins. Mentioning this to avoid any killjoy moments one may experience post purchase

Oops moment: I have by mistake clicked 330Li on the poll. Requesting anyone who feels like recommending the 330Li for some strange (single guy for heaven's sake) reason to click on the 340i to even this out!

Last edited by manson : 11th April 2023 at 22:58. Reason: Oops!
manson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 06:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team BHP Members,

I’m 90% sold on the M340i, here is my dilemma:

In summation, I don’t want to buy a car that I use every day to feel like “I wish I had gotten the 340i” or vice versa.

The heart says M340i, and the head is pushing me towards the 330i GL.

Thanks for your consideration and offering your suggestions.
Hi Fellow TBhpian,

Based on the above lines in your post, you are sold on the M340i

Being a previous owner of the M340i xDrive, I'd say Go for It!

Its hoots to drive. Every start from a stop sign / signal, accelerating while on the On-Ramp, and just listening to the cold start was a thrill that isn't easily describable.

It handles like a dream, just where you point it. Grips the road like a magnet.

Just go for it.

Here is a pic of my car. I had the Portimao Blue

BMW M340i vs 330i GL-boss-look-front.jpg

BMW M340i vs 330i GL-me.jpeg
nikhilarni is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 07:44   #26
BANNED

Your driving cycle will be the criterion that determines the pleasure you get out a car. The M340i has just that bit more of a turbo lag than the 330i. So, as a daily driver during most stop and go situations you may find the 340i a bit sluggish in the lower reaches of the power band which is where you will be in a lot of situations. This may be a bit frustrating as one would feel a bit let down.

The 330Li fares quite well in this area in that it has very little if next to nil turbo lag and power is available instantly. And contrary to expectations the additional length exhibits no handling downside on the open road.

At the very higher reaches of the powerband, both cars exhibit a bit of floatiness. But that remains academic as there are no roads where you can try out those speeds.

Yes, the roar of the engine on open roads, the push in your back and the force of the 340i are great to experience and will find no replacement for an enthusiast but as you say, its only the odd road trip that you intend to have in Maharashtra and Goa.

Given all this, the logical thinking would be that the 330Li is the most approprate car for your use. But, since when were enthusiasts a logical thinking lot? Go for the M340i, you’re going to regret it if you don’t!
Old 12th April 2023, 07:45   #27
BHPian

I bought a new 330i M Sport in Portimao Blue 4 months ago and I really wish I bought the m340i. Sure looks, interior and handling is really important for what is termed as a "luxury" car in India. But, engine is the most important. The 2 litre engine is peppy but its so damn boring that I dont get scared or excited driving it.
Old 12th April 2023, 09:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinmoy_s View Post
[*]Took TDs of A35 AMG, 330Li and the M340i. While the A35 felt great and the 330Li felt good, the M340i felt ecstatic & kept me awake several nights after. But the M340i felt significantly stiffer and family wasn't too happy (yes, I do have use of the backseats for my sister and sometimes parents)
Let's talk about luxury vs excitement. The only way to experience luxury is by spending big money, there is no alternative. In order to improve luxury, a buyer has no choice but to spend more money. Excitement, thankfully, works on very different principles. It can be had on a budget and often times it's about how you drive instead of what you drive.

Unless you get to do a lot of solo (or with friends) trips, m340i is not the best way to spend 80L for a family man. It does 0-100kmph in 4.4s, which is awesome, but will make you a very irritating family driver. I mean, you will try to drive in a manner to experience the engine note and acceleration at every opportunity. This is fun if you are taking the family on a Sunday breakfast drive, but would really suck if you are doing Mumbai - Kerala family trip. Every car nudges you to drive in a certain way and m304i would most likely make you an aggressive driver.

I would buy the 530i instead. It does 0-100 in a respectable 6.1s with all the goodness of a BMW DNA. If you do back-to-back long distance travel with 330i, m340i and 530i, you and your family would come to the conclusion that M340i feels closer to 330i and 530i feels truly a segment above in a way that's more comfortable, luxurious, smooth and unsettling. If you use the sports mode and paddle shifts, 530i will not disappoint you when you call up on it to "attack" and your family won't even realise you are doing stupid stunts.

When I'm on a family road trip, I prefer a car that feels like a train. Effortless power, masking the speed, drama-free lane changes at high speed, soaking up those expansion joints and undulations when there is no reaction time to slow down, well insulated and beautifully appointed cabin, comfortable ride etc. Certainly don't want to spend big money to give my family the go-kart vibes. It's already a privilege to be at the wheel of a BMW sedan, why not settle for a win-win.
androdev is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 10:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Unless you get to do a lot of solo (or with friends) trips, m340i is not the best way to spend 80L for a family man. It does 0-100kmph in 4.4s, which is awesome, but will make you a very irritating family driver. I mean, you will try to drive in a manner to experience the engine note and acceleration at every opportunity. This is fun if you are taking the family on a Sunday breakfast drive, but would really suck if you are doing Mumbai - Kerala family trip. Every car nudges you to drive in a certain way and m304i would most likely make you an aggressive driver.

I would buy the 530i instead. It does 0-100 in a respectable 6.1s with all the goodness of a BMW DNA. If you do back-to-back long distance travel with 330i, m340i and 530i, you and your family would come to the conclusion that M340i feels closer to 330i and 530i feels truly a segment above in a way that's more comfortable, luxurious, smooth and unsettling. If you use the sports mode and paddle shifts, 530i will not disappoint you when you call up on it to "attack" and your family won't even realise you are doing stupid stunts.
Very well captured, androdev. The 5 is a fantastic Grand tourer, for the entire family vs the M340i which is very much driver focused.

Actually BMW India can solve this dilemma of family friendliness & driver focus very easily with the M340i - all they have to do is to equip it with adaptive dampers, which extend the dynamic envelope of the M340i both towards better comfort AND better handling. I have them on my 5 and trust me, they make a huge difference. The car goes from being a wafty cruiser at speed to a driver focused corner craver at the touch of a button.

And it's not even an expensive option to tick - just about 1L as per international pricing.

Imagine an M340i that rides AND handles better than the 330Li? Would anyone still have any doubts about going ahead with the M340i? I think not.
d3mon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 15:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

Thank you so much. You do have a point. I had considered the 530d initially but had to rule it out due to the price (7L more than the M340i which itself was being reached with great difficulty). And now anyway, the car has been withdrawn by BMW.

However, I didn’t consider the 530i thinking it was kind of pointless with the 330Li being there with almost identical power, additional 50Nm torque and a 10% lesser price tag.
But if you think, the 530i feels better to drive than the 330Li, I would definitely take a TD. When it comes to space and luxury, would the 5 be significantly better than the 330Li?
mrinmoy_s is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks