Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you were me, which one will you pick?
M340i 177 76.96%
330i 31 13.48%
Too kool for skool wildcard (S5, 530D, etc..) 22 9.57%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2023, 15:43   #1
BHPian

BMW M340i vs 330i GL

Hello Team BHP Members,

I’ve been a BMW fanboy ever since I sat in a 1990 530i, I couldn’t get over how beautiful the car looked in that shade of blue, the orange dials, the rims & tires. At the risk of this becoming an ASMR thread without the A, I will stop here.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and as such can greatly vary with yours.

I’ve reached a stage in my life and career where I can afford the nicer things in life. I’m single, I don’t have any other commitments or loans. Money isn’t necessarily (I’m not a rich man, just someone who can afford a dream today) a constraint.

My journey started with dreaming of owning a 330i Msport in Portimao Blue. Well, the lockdown, our buying habits and BMWs strategy of killing the SWB put paid to that very quickly. When BMW decided to double down on their “chip shortage” approach for removing perfectly good features, it made to rethink my decision.

Why would I spend upwards of 68L on a “cut down and upsold” product which isn’t even intended for me? Isn’t it better to just spend the additional 17L and get the M340i?

My use case is it will primarily be my daily driver, with other occupants reserved for the odd road trip in Maharashtra and Goa.

I’m 90% sold on the M340i, here is my dilemma:
Do I have this all wrong and can it be used as a daily driver? – I will use the car for a 40km commute in Pune traffic, which is interesting at the best of times.

In summation, I don’t want to buy a car that I use every day to feel like “I wish I had gotten the 340i” or vice versa.

The heart says M340i, and the head is pushing me towards the 330i GL.

Neither is good or bad, one’s Butter Chicken and the other Chicken Triple Schezwan Rice, I will leave you to guess which is which!

Thanks for your consideration and offering your suggestions.
BeMyWings is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 16:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW M340i vs 330i GL

No contest, m340i. Such cars are offered so rarely and if your buying window coincides with such offerings you should pull the trigger.

Your use case of congested city traffic is a bummer though. 330iL is also not a good choice either. So if you are going down this route, you might as well get m340i. Zero confusion in my mind between these two cars.

On the other hand, if it were between 530i and 340i, then I would pause, scratch my head, buy the car with first two digits of the model number closest to my age. If there is a tie, I would pick 530i. Love the 5 series.
androdev is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 10:41   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The 330i is a great sedan, while the M340i is an awesome once-in-a-lifetime kind of family-friendly sedan. Since you can afford the price difference, go for the M340i only. The M340i will give you driving satisfaction, make you feel special, give you joy and make you laugh in a way that the 330i won't be able to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWings View Post
Do I have this all wrong and can it be used as a daily driver? – I will use the car for a 40km commute in Pune traffic, which is interesting at the best of times.
Absolutely. Just be ready for a firm (but liveable) ride and low FE. It's a totally-friendly daily driver that can be used with the family too.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 11:46   #4
BHPian

As good of a car the M340i is, its talents are completely wasted inside of the city. If you really are planning to buy a car for driving daily in traffic the M340i will not give you any more joy than its smaller engine counterpart. In fact, it will be more frustrating to drive because you will forever be waiting to be able to unleash the power, which you'll never be able to.

However, cars like the M340i can change your driving habits too - it can make you go on unplanned road trips and day trips at the drop of a hat as well - so as long as you have plans to keep sprinkling in those outstation trips frequently alongside your daily driving duties, by all means go ahead and get the M340i. If not, look for more city friendly options, or even consider a beater car for the city, while keeping the M340i solely for outstation drives.
d3mon is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 14:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I’ve been a BMW fanboy ever since I sat in a 1990 530i
This opening line is enough to justify the 340i; the GL is a compromise in comparison.

Quote:
Can it be used as a daily driver?
Short answer – Yes!
As a daily driver, it is a comfortable car (even for the rear seat occupants). And on occasions where you want some thrills, the transformation is instant.
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 14:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team BHP Members,

I’ve been a BMW fanboy ever since I sat in a 1990 530i, I couldn’t get over how beautiful the car looked in that shade of blue, the orange dials, the rims & tires.

I’ve reached a stage in my life and career where I can afford the nicer things in life. I’m single, I don’t have any other commitments or loans. Money isn’t necessarily (I’m not a rich man, just someone who can afford a dream today) a constraint.
Just reading the above should answer your question!

The 340i is explosive, usable power daily with two big downsides you will need to learn and adapt to (3 maybe given your daily run of 40kms in a thirsty petrol):
1. Low Profile Tyres that would be prone to damage and maybe even bent rims - Pune by and large has decent roads, but you will want to be a little more vigilant driving this around
2. Stiff Suspension that would be far away from cushy! It will flatten out everything at speed, but in the city you just need to be vigilant.

If you do bad roads very often, I would even consider the X3.30i / X4.30D (if available or a low run pre-owned example).
But if bad roads are few and far in between - the 340i would be a beautiful daily driver. Many friends are using their in and around Mumbai (arguably worse road conditions) without complaint!
But you just need to be prepared for the above 2 points.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 14:41   #7
BHPian

I am assuming you are relatively young as you're single. So no nagging about ride quality, or complaints with those fun bursts of acceleration from the passenger, or wondering if you need to have kids at the back. In fact the additional leg room is useless for you but I hear your concern with BMW discontinuing SWB 330i.

The 340i is the car for you! It'll be a keeper daily-driver while you add cars to your garage.

If you travel through bad roads everyday, consider switching to tubeless tyres - they will make your life much easier.
HighRevving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 15:29   #8
BHPian

I have driven both the 330i and the M340i. I would say, when you have the budget, just go for the M340i eyes closed. The car gave me goosebumps like no other and I feel that engine on that car is just bonkers. Put on a stage 2 tune and you will be smoking R8s and what not. Its the perfect car. You can drive it daily in traffic, just be extra careful with speed bumps and keep it in eco pro mode. The other modes are not made for traffic driving. :P
speedfreak77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 09:58   #9
BHPian

Are you comparing 340i with 330Li? I believe Grand Limousine is Li which is longer than 330i (and 340i). I don't think BMW currently is selling the 330i these days anyway.

330Li does provide much better rear seat space and comfort, both of which are of no use to you. In this case, even you head should not have a problem going for 340i, because it might do better in city than the longer 330Li.
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 10:08   #10
BHPian

340i it is, unless you are very worried about the ground clearance in which case, the X3M40i is round the corner, and might be more practical for those journeys in Maharashtra, however as others have said, few will match the chassis of a BMW sedan.
np23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 10:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

As almost everyone has suggested, M340i is the right choice for you. Without a doubt!

In addition to the reasons given by others, here is one more:

Quote:
In summation, I don’t want to buy a car that I use every day to feel like “I wish I had gotten the 340i” or vice versa.
This is the key! If you buy a 330Li, there is a strong chance you will regret it. You are a single driver, and a BMW enthusiast, as you admitted it. A BMW enthusiast driving around solo in a long wheel base car is just wrong! It is thematically wrong. It makes no sense. And you will realize that once you buy that car and get over the initial euphoria of a new BMW. And then you will regret it. And that would be an expensive error to fix!

On the other hand, once you get an M340i, there is no looking back. No regrets. You would be a true blue BMW enthusiast driving the ultimate driving machine with a six-cylinder turbo petrol engine. There is nothing there that comes close. You will never ever regret that.

By the way, in addition to or apart from other things, this six-cylinder engine is a huge deal. It sets the car apart on a level that can not be matched by any other considerations. Given a choice between a six-cylinder and a four-cylinder engine, and given that otherwise the cars are very similar in their practicality for a single driver (the practicality of extra space in the Li is irrelevant to a single driver), one should always choose the six-cylinder engine, without a second thought!

In my view, M340i is the right choice for you. And if you want to save money (which I don't think is the objective, going by your post, but just in case) then find a used 330i M sports (the regular short wheel based version). That should be your plan B, and not a new 330Li.

Anyways, whichever way you choose, these are all great cars. Have fun!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 11th April 2023 at 10:24.
Dr.AD is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 11:08   #12
BHPian

For your use case M340i it is if it has to be a BMW

But I would also suggest having a look at Audi S5. It would have Quattro along with better ride quality too. Daily driving it would be easier too compared 340i.
It would look different too as it is difficult to differentiate M340i from regular 3 series.
Also unsure about tyres provided in beemer but S5 would come with tubeless tyres that are way better than Runflats.
Tanmay_868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 11:31   #13
BHPian

I have suggested only M340i,coming from a die hard BMW fan who owns the F10 530d.Whenever I will replace my Beemer it will be only M340i.That fantastic B58 motor and ZF gearbox match are pair made in heaven. Its too insane how this car masks speed. Its also a Xdrive.
Rather i would quote its a poor mans M3.
LEOMAN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 12:02   #14
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 330i is a great sedan, while the M340i is an awesome once-in-a-lifetime kind of family-friendly sedan. Since you can afford the price difference, go for the M340i only. The M340i will give you driving satisfaction, make you feel special, give you joy and make you laugh in a way that the 330i won't be able to.

Absolutely. Just be ready for a firm (but liveable) ride and low FE. It's a totally-friendly daily driver that can be used with the family too.
As an M340i owner, couldn't agree more with @GTO. The combination of Inline 6 Cylinder Engine making nearly 400 horses mated to 8speed Automatic Gearbox and xdrive give the Car terrific poise and balance. The best Sports Sedan in the Indian market in my opinion. As of today.

And the shape, oh boy the shape. I manages to look fast even standing still.
AAD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 12:14   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
340i it is, unless you are very worried about the ground clearance in which case, the X3M40i is round the corner, and might be more practical for those journeys in Maharashtra, however as others have said, few will match the chassis of a BMW sedan.
No way the Li please!

I know it's probably a massive massive stretch for you, but do hold on for the X3M40i pricing. If the global reviews are anything to go by, it combines the best of both sedan + SUV worlds into a compelling package.

However, if you had to put a nitro pill under your tongue and lie down at the potential outflow , then eyes closed M340i + M-Performance Exhaust.

Alternatively, pick up an used Porsche! YOLO, FOMO and all that!

Last edited by itwasntme : 11th April 2023 at 12:19.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks