Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you were me, which one will you pick?
M340i 177 76.96%
330i 31 13.48%
Too kool for skool wildcard (S5, 530D, etc..) 22 9.57%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 16:56   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW M340i vs 330i GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinmoy_s View Post
But if you think, the 530i feels better to drive than the 330Li, I would definitely take a TD. When it comes to space and luxury, would the 5 be significantly better than the 330Li?
Taking a TD is the best way to judge. You might find this thread useful:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...ies-vs-x3.html (Help me with my conundrum on choosing the right Bimmer | BMW 3-Series vs 5-Series vs X3)

There are some areas where 5 series will certainly do better than any version of 3 series due to the simple fact that it's a more expensive platform:
Ride quality/comfort, front seat ergonomics, cabin insulation, interior ambience, road presence/snob-value, safety, audio quality, etc.

And then there are other areas you need to verify with test drives:

Space: LWB can challenge the equation. Space doesn't always equate to comfort as manufactures can compromise recline, under thigh support and amount of cushioning to create more space. You have to judge it on a long test drive as your height/weight, etc. can also influence the outcome.

Equipment: Depends on the launch timelines and marketing strategy. Combined widescreen vs two separate screens for example. Recently BMW has not been consistent with features offered/deleted.

Power: Depends on the engine, tune, weight, etc. Smaller cars can benefit from lower weight and can be more nimble and exciting.

Colours: You might not get the colour combination that you want in both the cars which can be a deciding factor as well.

Having said all that, checking these cars in person will clear all the confusion. As can be seen from the above thread, personal tastes/preferences matter a lot.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 18:33   #32
BHPian

Perhaps the solution here is to have a two car garage. Keep the Octavia 1.8 and get M340i.

GoBlue is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 13:02   #33
BHPian

Hello OP. One thing that's certain from your post is that you could go for a proper sports sedan such as the BMW M340i or something from the competition such as the Audi S5 and the Mercedes C43 AMG.

Having owned both, a 2013 Audi S4(65000 kms) in the past and currently using a 2021 BMW M340i and clocking in around 20000 kms, I can tell you that both are fun cars. I haven't got to drive the new generation Audi S5, so can't speak much for that. You should test drive or try to get hands on both the M340i and the S5 before you pull the trigger. I would have recommended the C43 AMG as well but the new generation is not yet launched in India.

Both these cars are or can be daily drivers, yes the roads in India aren't great but you can manage. S5 will be a more comfortable in terms of the rear seat space as compared to the M340i, it has a better sound system, Bang & Olufsen. It comes with a square tire set up, easier to maintain for Indian conditions over the staggered set up of M340i. Both of them come with 19 inch wheels now. I've been lucky to get the 18 inch set ups of both these cars and if I were you, I'd downgrade them to the 18 inches and stick to tubeless for extra comfort, the S5 comes with tubeless I believe.

What the S5 will lack is the steering feedback which I'd give it over to the BMW anyday. The M340i is also more eager to be pushed over the S5, it's quicker and you can feel it. I had a Capristo exhaust on the S4, it definitely added the glitz to that super charged V6 engine( I do miss the supercharger whine), the M Performance exhaust is no match to it but I'm a family man now getting closer to the 40's, so I can't live with loud exhausts on a daily basis, the current set up works just right for me. My wife loved the S4 and she loves the M340i as well, she gets quite a bit of driving time during our road trips. Just make sure you take the extended warranty for any car you pick up, I've ran into a series of issues with the S4 as it got older.

The price difference between the two is narrower, about 5L ex showroom. So try them both. On the other hand, you can try to get your hands on the X3 M40i within the first lot if you don't mind a sports SUV, which will be more convenient for our road conditions. From what I've heard, they are going to try to price them competitively, though pricing can only be confirmed after those cars land and is calculated based on the input/exchange rates at that point.

Keep us posted and good luck
sweetvar26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 18:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWings View Post

I’m 90% sold on the M340i, here is my dilemma:
Do I have this all wrong and can it be used as a daily driver? – I will use the car for a 40km commute in Pune traffic, which is interesting at the best of times.
At the risk of sounding redundant (considering all the replies till now), I would say go for M340i.

Your usecase is somewhat similar to mine. I live in Bengaluru, drive M340i to office couple of days a week. What that means is heavy traffic and awful roads, but then I enjoy it everyday. Yes, in such conditions, you will get bad fuel efficiency. Keeping that aside, the will fit perfect for you considering nobody in backseat normally to complain about stiff ride.

On the brighter side think about your weekends and breaks, there isn't any other car around this price point that can match M340i will deliver you in terms of power, ride, acceleration and fuel efficiency. Most of us get 10+ on highways with endless smiles in face.
Short Answer, Go for it. You won't regret.
RakishRam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 03:28   #35
BHPian

My sincere thanks to all of you who took the time to reply. You've all given me quite a lot to think about before I finally pull the trigger. I'll let you know (with pics) where I land eventually. Once again, much appreciate the sharing of your expertise and wisdom, this is what makes this forum such a great place.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by BeMyWings : 14th April 2023 at 03:28. Reason: Typo correction
Old 14th April 2023, 04:26   #36
BHPian

I didn't hesitate to vote m340i.

However, I do have trouble deciding for myself - almost decided on X5 but wonder whether I'll regret not going for m340i instead. This will be a purely fun buy as regular duties are accounted for between existing cars (2012 Fortuner, 2022 Tigor EV and 2015 Grand i10 (planning to replace with Jimny)).
Old 14th April 2023, 11:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Why would I spend upwards of 68L on a “cut down and upsold” product which isn’t even intended for me? Isn’t it better to just spend the additional 17L and get the M340i?

Thanks for your consideration and offering your suggestions.
Go for the M340i because YOLO and this is a purchase of the heart that you are doing if it were for ride quality you would be looking at an MG hector or a citroen C5
Old 17th April 2023, 00:18   #38
BHPian

As someone who’s made a similar jump, from the Octavia 1.8L, I’d say go for the M340i.

I use the M340i as my daily driver in Mumbai, and even within city limits, this car behaves really well. You just need to be mindful of potential damage to tyres and rims over potholes (and hence be careful).
The ride isn’t actually that bad - I find myself used to it now and my driving habits have changed per the car. Also, with a car like this, you tend to change your usage pattern and step out more to the open roads.

The M340i is quite simply a very special car, and I would’ve surely regretted had I gone for something else.
krishnadevjs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 00:52   #39
BHPian

Thank you, and I think my question might have been slightly misleading (my apologies for that).

My mind's made up, the M340i it is. For those of you in the know, do you have any information on if/when the Mineral Gray version will come to India? Also, I just read that prices are being hiked up (again!), so is the wait worth it?
Old 17th April 2023, 16:14   #40
BHPian

Quote:
For those of you in the know, do you have any information on if/when the Mineral Gray version will come to India? Also, I just read that prices are being hiked up (again!), so is the wait worth it?
The current lot is coming in the much anticipated black, which I saw in person and loved it. A click from what I saw in Bengaluru below of black M340i.
BMW M340i vs 330i GL-m340iblack.jpg
Also Melbourne red which was said to be coming is already available in configurator (https://shop.bmw.in/) which also looks great.

BMW M340i vs 330i GL-screenshot-20230417-2.29.56-pm.png

The most sold out colour, which is Dravit Grey is still available and never heard of Mineral Grey coming and not sure how different it's from Dravit Grey.
Have a look at both Black and Red in person.

PS: at least the website isn't showing any price increase.
RakishRam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 16:54   #41
BHPian

40km only city driving. Where you going to open up the gas my friend. Both these need at least a once in a while highway drive to enjoy the petrol motors. I’d say try out the bmw i4 or Kia ev6 awd. You will get a proper shove in the seats without feeling the guilt of burning away high octane gas at traffic lights.
Old 17th April 2023, 22:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Perhaps the solution here is to have a two car garage. Keep the Octavia 1.8 and get M340i.

I wish I could mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Having said all that, checking these cars in person will clear all the confusion. As can be seen from the above thread, personal tastes/preferences matter a lot.
Thank you. Yes, I shall certainly have a look at the 530i properly before deciding. I’m considering taking a TD of the S5 as well. For some reasons, there’s far lesser buzz online about the S5.

Thank you once again. I shall share my decision once I’ve made it.

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th May 2023 at 11:13. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
Old 18th April 2023, 00:15   #43
BHPian

Thanks Rakish, the black is something I will never be able to keep clean and my OCD would probably go overdrive more than that engine!

I'm no color expert, so I'll leave it to those who know better - but I can say that Mineral gray looks distinctly darker than Dravit (please don't ask me how) - unless my eyes completely deceive me from the press photos.

The reason I'm going with the M340i is that, while I will drive it to work 2-3 times a week, it will inspire me to take those road trips that I have never done. And for me I think that's more important than anything else.

We've all got our passion & poison; this just happens to be mine.

Last edited by BeMyWings : 18th April 2023 at 00:19.
BeMyWings is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 03:22   #44
Team-BHP Support

^^

With a good coating or PPF, black is easy to maintain on these cars. Colours are a completely personal preference but if it’s just the maintenance of black that’s keeping you away from consideration, do go through some of the threads here about coatings. If you have covered parking, even better.

You won’t go wrong with M340 as there is no other similar VFM car ( if I may say so) which gets you a Six cylinder engine, an AWD and a sportier interior. Good luck with your purchase.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 14:52   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Browsing through the BMW India website, they list all available cars across India. I saw at least a dozen M340is available across India a week ago (mostly Black/White) , but today, I do not see even one available! I am not sure what happened here. Right now, most of the cars shown available are 220s/330s.

Great to see the Melbourne Red M340i coming in as a "Exclusive Special Edition" with deliveries in April/May - looks like another batch of M340i kit imports landed, mainly in this paint shade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks