Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2023, 16:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Looking for the penultimate car of my life | Intended spend up to 1.5 crore rupees

Great Question, I was in a similar Dilemma couple of years back. Here's my take.
Unfortunately, you need to first define what is "exciting"? The reason is, no SUV can match the driving "excitment" of a fast Sedan. For example, In the whole list of yours, none of them matches the pure thrill of a M340i.

So, in which case you need to compromise on this against space. If you compromise on some "exciting drive", I would say X5 is the best of the lot.
Old 3rd May 2023, 16:57   #17
BHPian

Re: Looking for the penultimate car of my life | Intended spend up to 1.5 crore rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
Hello Everyone,

I also think this will be my penultimate car or at least that when it comes to "thinking from the heart" point of view.
Confused by your use of the world penultimate; at 40 something, you surely don't mean that this is likely to be your next to last purchase?! Or do you mean it, and aim not to drive at all, after say 20 years, assuming you drive a car for around 10 years at least? Life begins at 40, man, and new technology and options are coming each passing week or month, if not every day! I own an Octavia estate currently, and no plans of buying anything new anytime soon, but when my wife begins to work, maybe we'll add a small EV to the family. I'm super excited about what the future holds for us.

Last edited by supermax : 3rd May 2023 at 17:00.
supermax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 20:33   #18
BHPian

With a nice budget like this, why isn't the XC90 a contender?
Old 3rd May 2023, 21:10   #19
BHPian

I'm sailing towards the same boat. Hitting 40 soon and I hope my next ride brings me the joys of life I've only dreamt of, like forever. No way I could have afforded that price range in India, but living in the US offers me the chance to own what I want to. I'm not making that big purchase until 2025, and I'll in all likelihood go for a 2-year-old sparingly used model. Below are the cars I'm considering -

BMW X7: Super high-quality cabin, drives "OK" for an SUV of its size. If you're an enthusiast, you can live with it but the drive isn't gonna leave you grinning. Supremely comfortable ride. I hated the captain's seats, the bench is better any day. The car is still in consideration, but I probably know deep within - this isn't going to be the ONE. I haven't driven the X7M, but that I'm sure is a lot more fun. Expect an all-new X7 in 2026, but the facelifted one has a new interior, almost similar to the 7 series.

Merc GLS: Spacious. Roomier than the X7, especially the middle and 3rd rows. Luxurious, but the quality of materials is a couple of notches down in comparison to the X7. Drives ok again, X7 is marginally better.

Between the two, X7 is my pick. But again, there are compromises to be made.

BMW X5 - If a 3rd row or tonnes of boot space isn't your priority, this one is better than the X7. I felt the quality of materials is one notch below the X7, but the car feels mega. Much sportier than the X7, and great to drive. One of the sportiest SUV's out there if you leave the Porches out.

Merc GLE - More space than X5, I like the way it looks. If driving dynamics isn't the highest priority, this might work better.

I'll again pick the X5, or a used X5M if I were you. But the facelifted version with updated interiors has just been launched.

Porche Macan is too small for my liking. And the Cayenne is the ultimate sports suv, but I'll buy a Panamera if I go Porche.

Now here comes the interesting bit. At that price range, I firmly believe nothing matches the luxury sedans.

The New 7 Series - Some look good, and some designs are polarizing. And then you have the 7 series - outright ugly. At least, this is what I thought till I saw the car in person. I ignored the front and drove the car. Oh boy, this one made me smile and how! I drove the 8-Cylinder 760i and I haven't driven anything like it, ever. So much so that I slowly even started to appreciate the looks, albeit in certain colors. There is no comparison to the X7, this is a much much better car. It isn't the sportiest, but it's agile. Steering is light for my liking, but the car hides its size and I appreciated the way it handled corners. Yes, this car is agile. Yeah, not an SUV. But then, I fell so much in love that this one tops my list right now.

The New S Class - I haven't driven the latest version, but have experienced the previous gen. I think I know exactly what the S-class offers. Luxury at its finest. But the new 7 is no pushover, it matches and at times is even better than the S-class. The S isn't the one for me. The 7 drives are so much better!

The 7 is addictive!

Porche Panamera - Ah beautiful beautiful beautiful car. Maybe the best practical sedan. Not as luxurious or spacious as the 7, but this one is so much fun to drive. The way it grips the road is unbelievable. Number 2 on my list, after the 7. It's just that the 7 feel surreal.

Volvo XC90 - You'll get bored. Nothing exciting. This isn't to say its bad. It's great, just not to my liking.

Audi Q7 - Still a great car, but common. Unless you need 7 seats on a smaller budget than X7/ GLS, this isn't something I'd recommend.

And then the yet-to-be-launched all-new 5 Series - I have a feeling this one will tick all the right boxes.

So my choices, in order of preference is below -

1. 7 Series
2. All-new 2024 5 series - TBL
3. Panamera
4. X5
5. X7

Remember, the X5 X7 GLS, and GLE are more than halfway down with their current generation.

So if an SUV is an absolute necessity, you've my choices above. But I strongly recommend you take a look at the sedans too. A sparingly used Panamera or if you could stretch your budget for the new 7, they are gonna be my picks.

Wish you the best!

Last edited by RSM_TorqueZoner : 3rd May 2023 at 21:25.
RSM_TorqueZoner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 21:40   #20
BHPian

Well, from your list of options, the only car that meets your requirements (SUV + fun to drive) is the MACAN. The only other upcoming option that you can consider is the X3 M40i. These 2 are the best options to choose if it is a new car.

Another car that you may want to consider is the EV6 GT AWD. It is way better than the etrons, EQs and iXs of the germans. And also your requirements are met 100% (SUV + fun + latest) with significant cost savings.

If you are open to pre-owned, then there are a lot more options like Cayenne, RSQ8, X5M, etc. Additionally if you are open to sedans/coupes as well, then you have quite a long list of options - AMGs, Ms, GTRs, 911s, Mustang, RSs, etc. In which case, you may have to compromise on something based on your choice.
Old 4th May 2023, 16:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am a long time lurker & finally got my membership approved! Last time I tried was 12 years ago when I was in the market for a new car. I am here seeking your insights to help me decide what to buy next.

My budget is around 1cr to 1.5cr, usage is around 10k a year and mostly outstation runs. We are a family of 3 and a dog. I want to get delivery of the car within this CY so a decision by July, August is what I am looking at. My kid is 9 yrs old so the next 4 to 6 years is when we can create tons of memories and I want a car for such travels & roadtrips. I also think this will be my penultimate car or at least that when it comes to "thinking from the heart" point of view.

So folks – please help a newbie who is discovering life in the 40s!

Thanks!

For a family of 3 and a dog, I can vouch for the x5 40i MSport, especially at the price its available it is kitted well and the 40i is refined and powerful.

The GLS and the X7 are compelling too if you fancy driving a large suv but wont be as much fun as the X5.

Also test drive the Audi Q8 if you want to stand out in a sea of X5s and GLE's.

The best driver's SUV of the lot - the Macan IMO would be a bit too small for those long outstation runs with limited boot space.

Happy Shopping!
Cheers!

Mod Note : Post edited for better readability. Please go through Team-BHP's Posting Etiquettes and stick to the format before making a fresh post.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th May 2023 at 16:26. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
Old 4th May 2023, 16:20   #22
BHPian

I'm probably going to be in your shoes in a year, but I'm already eyeing the following options.

X5 LCI - 30d(298hp & 670Nm) or 40i(380hp & 520Nm) both received spec bump.
GLE 450d - 367hp and 750Nm of torque, though not sure of Indian launch.
Macan S
Could also consider the Cayenne but will cross 2cr if you pick a decent engine spec with some options.
Old 4th May 2023, 18:29   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not recommending any car in particular as this is a very subjective exercise and almost all cars in this budget range would be fabulous, not to mention the whole ICE vs EV dilemma. I just thought of sharing my views regarding "penultimate car", "snob value of Cayenne", "lack of interest in Range Rover", etc.

Here is how I look at this:

Year 2023, age 42:

Upgrading from Yeti. Many worthy options. Everything will be wow compared to Yeti. Every additional rupee brings something cool.
Full of josh to drive. Lot of new destination to visit with enthusiastic passengers

Year 2031, age 50:

Upgrading from say X5. Few worthy options. Hardly anything exciting or novelty factor in the next car compared to X5.
Suddenly, you see so many sensible uses of money instead of spending on a stupid car.
Very little josh, dull passengers and been-there-done-that mood.

I will max out my budget now and drive it as long as possible. I'm sure it's going to be total paisa vasool. Depending on my financial situation and priorities in my 50s, I would either buy a fancy car fully knowing I can't do paisa-vasool or a mass market car without any regrets.

If RR Sport and Cayenne are within reach, I would start from there. They look the business and have been doing so like forever. As I wish to keep my cars for long, I prefer car designs that are not updated drastically every summer.

You mentioned something about snob value of Cayenne being a negative. I would say other options are so bling and in-your-face compared the classy, understated and timeless designs of RR Sport and Cayenne.

Last edited by androdev : 4th May 2023 at 18:36.
androdev is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 02:26   #24
BHPian

Jeep Grand Cherokee could be a good pick if you want ultra exclusivity among the usual options.

Apart from that, X5 and GLS are my favourites. Would not suggest for XC90 as it feels dated by now.
Boringrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 11:17   #25
BHPian

Have you thought about the used route?

Also have you checked out cars like the RS5,AMG E53, AMG A45S or an F-Pace. All have the badge value you are looking for and will be exciting to drive. The Lexus RX would be another great alternative even more so because a facelift is reportedly coming to our shores sometime later this year.
Old 6th May 2023, 11:50   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Faced a somewhat similar decision making process back in late 2016 when I was looking to upgrade from a Superb. Of course my budget was no where near as large, but picked up an X3 20d (the F25, which was about 6 months from end of life).

For me, the X3 has been a fantastic car, and the value for money in picking up a near end of life product made immense sense. The only downside is the relatively narrow rear bench squab. If I were to upgrade from the X3, the X5 40i would be near the top of my list. For people who don’t care that much about driving dynamism, the GLE 450 is a great buy too. Electric options could be considered - but then you need another car for long distance driving.

I would be reluctant to consider the XC60 - it is as old and outdated as the X3, and one segment lower than the X5 or GLE. The current X5 and GLE are both relatively new cars - launched in 2019 which is not old by any stretch of imagination.

Would not pick the GLS or the X7 either - both strike me as luxury barges for old people and not for someone in his early 40s. Would be reluctant to consider the Porsche - as a senior Porsche executive told a friend, Porsches are easy to buy but much tougher to maintain (less of an issue perhaps with the Cayenne than with the 911). If you want true luxury and off-roading ability, the Range Rover Sport may make sense but you would need to stretch by another ₹50 lakhs.

If you are open to a car, I think look no further than the 6GT. A friend recently bought it and it is outstanding - fantastic fit and finish and better ground clearance and a more practical boot than the E Class.

For someone who keeps cars for 6-8 years, pre owned does not make sense in my view. Best of luck.

Last edited by Hayek : 6th May 2023 at 11:52.
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 18:46   #27
BHPian

I would recommend either a pre worshipped Cayenne/New Macan.

Or alternatively try and see if you can find a pre worshipped Audi RSQ8…great machine if you can up your budget a bit.

Or as somebody suggested get a Kodiaq and a BMW M340i/Mercedes AMG A45 S! (Best of both the worlds!)
ashish22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 08:48   #28
BHPian

Hello Rafiki, welcome to Team-BHP. Hope you contribute a lot, learn a lot and make informed decisions every time you buy a car.

Back to the topic at hand, I would whole heartedly recommend the Porsche Cayenne. The car truly is condensed luxury. Unlike its German counterparts who tend to appease their bean counters by cheapening out a few not so obvious bits, Porsche truly builds luxury cars. Everything feels solid, immensely good to touch. The sense of luxury is reinforced from the moment you pick up the key fob to stepping inside the car.

I noticed you are in BLR, so inevitably till the mass transport system works cohesively and liberates arterial roads of traffic, you will spend considerable time inside you car. Again, the money spent will be rewarded in terms of sheer quality of the materials you interact with during this idling time.

Another bonus, every time you step out and hand that lovely machined key fob over to the valet. you will be parked up in front. Please do consider buying a new car, memories as we progress through life are supremely cherished and nothing like picking up a new car from the showroom for a petrol head. Peace
Air_Kerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 14:18   #29
rGT
BHPian

Why not the F-Pace? With the facelift, it has been improved by heaps and bounds, and it sure does look quite handsome (atleast to my eyes). In fact, I feel like after the Velar, it is one of the most flamboyant SUVs in the market right now. The interiors too, have been given a major overhaul, and they look sleek and modern. As for the driving experience, I think the only fly in an otherwise effective ointment is the lacklustre gearbox, but it's a problem that can be solved by Manual/Sport mode. Yes, JLR's reliability can be woefully pathetic, and it's AS&S can be a major pain in the butt at times, but override these two aspects, and you are getting an excellent overall product. And as an added benefit, it's pretty exclusive for its segment as well. My two cents, hope it helps.
Looking forward to an ownership review!
rGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 12:42   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the Macan is a great option as mentioned here already by some. I own one and what it falls short in space, it makes up in performance!

The current X5 if available at a good discount is worth considering or else go for the LCI. The X5 won't give you Macan type performance and definitely not it's agility but it will give you a whole lot of space along with some fun if you get the 40i engine.

The F-pace is not worth considering, I just sold mine. Its a great car but not worth the new price. It's suspension is way too stiff too.

Lastly, why not the X3 M40i that was launched yesterday?

Last edited by Sahil : 12th May 2023 at 12:45.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks