Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2023, 22:37   #16
BHPian

Re: New Mercedes E-Class Vs Used Mercedes S-Class

The S, any day. A well maintained pre owned car is just the same as a new one. There's no difference in joy of bringing either home, as long as you're not attached to the "new = better" mindset. Cars are cars.

The S is the logical, and also emotional choice of the two.
d_payne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 22:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashar View Post
Since, we have been using a C Class for the past 10 years, we have already found out an independent garage for its maintenance works and we found it to be even better (and undoubtedly more cost effective) than Merc Authorized service center. So, the question of service is not a big issue.
Please don't equate maintenance & service costs of the C with the S. The S Class is a much more complicated machine, with more electronics & gadgetry! Let's also not forget the air suspension which needs upkeep.

Between a brand new E and a used S, I would go ahead with the new E.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 11:11   #18
BHPian

If buying today, get a used S-Class. It's a far superior vehicle.

If willing to wait, there's a new E-class coming right around the corner. I'd estimate it to hit Indian shores within a year (which is a long wait, but if you plan to keep the car for a long time, a little patience may be worth it)

kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 11:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
We test drove a Merc E Class (E 220 d) recently and he came out really pleased with the car and almost decided to go ahead with the purchase when his friend proposed to him the idea of getting a 3-4-5 year old S Class for the same amount of money. His friend told him that a 4 year old S Class (the older generation one) was a much better car than even the new E class. FYI, the on road price for a new E class is Rs. 95.75 lacs (on road - Trivandrum, Kerala).
First thing - there is no such thing as a cheap S Class. The reason I am saying this is the maintenance cost on an S-Class will far exceed that on an E. Especially after the car is about 5-6 years of age and some more extensive services come up. So this should really be the decision making factor you keep in mind - not just the upfront price. I have cars from both classes so am saying this with experience.

What I would seriously recommend even though it will increase your budget and since you are anyway looking at the diesel - get the E350d. I love mine - it has the airmatic suspension, fantastic engine, better brakes, etc which definitely not entirely but somewhat reduces the gap between the E and the S.
VellVector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 11:56   #20
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Simple. A used S Class (W222) or a 7 Series (G12).
These are the flagship models used in pushing the boundaries.
An E just won't cut it plus it's a personal opinion that the current gen mercs don't look the part.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:01   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post
Hello, Go for a new car, and E-Class is a fantastic car. I may be biased, but I never buy or recommend anyone a second-hand car. There is joy in buying a brand-new car, and this is something that won't be achieved with a used S class. If budget is not a problem, then a new E220d makes sense.
couldn't agree more, i always hate buying second hand cars, nothing like the feel of laying your hands on brand new machine
unicorn_nike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:04   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

In case you do end up getting the new E Class - please do wait for a little while longer as the new generation E Class has been unveiled globally - it's only a matter of time before it comes to India : no point buying an outdated model at full price and holding on to it for long.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/new-ge...bally-unveiled
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:07   #23
BHPian

Thanks to the majority of opinions favoring new car purchase (be it C/E/S) rather than a used S, we thought it was better to either rule out used cars completely or go with a reputed used car dealer who "checks & certifies" them before they re-sell.

With that intention, we approached a very popular used car dealer yesterday and he sent pics of a less than 5 year old S Class. I am enclosing one such image which is clear to our naked eyes that there was a major dent on the boot and was covered up with a really good paint job, not at Merc authorized centre but at an independent paint station.

The only thing that gave away was the S350d badge on the LHS and nothing on the RHS which was clearly not inline with Merc nomenclature. Usually, they mention it as S350 / C220 / E220 on the LHS and CDI on the RHS.

This has led to us losing trust with reputed used car dealers as well. So, we are going ahead with new car purchase for now.

Thank you all for your expert opinions. Means a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mercedes E-Class Vs Used Mercedes S-Class-e-class-used-1.jpg  

Ashar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:43   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (14)

Well, this generation of the s class came with this badge only. The CDI badge was dropped after w221. So this badge on the car is correct . I guess you mixed with it up with your c class which had the older nomenclature badge.
Hope that clears the misunderstanding
Chisels121 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:

The only thing that gave away was the S350d badge on the LHS and nothing on the RHS which was clearly not inline with Merc nomenclature. Usually, they mention it as S350 / C220 / E220 on the LHS and CDI on the RHS.

This has led to us losing trust with reputed used car dealers as well. So, we are going ahead with new car purchase for now.

Thank you all for your expert opinions. Means a lot.
Ahem ! I think you might be wrong here. The 2018 S Class was nomenclatured as S350d (after its facelift) rather than the S350 CDI from the prefacelift model. Please re check before concluding that this car might have had an accident just by checking the name badge.
RajeevMD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeevMD View Post
Ahem ! I think you might be wrong here. The 2018 S Class was nomenclatured as S350d (after its facelift) rather than the S350 CDI from the prefacelift model. Please re check before concluding that this car might have had an accident just by checking the name badge.
Oops! Thanks for that. So, the confusion is still on then.
Old 3rd August 2023, 13:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
T
With that intention, we approached a very popular used car dealer yesterday and he sent pics of a less than 5 year old S Class. I am enclosing one such image which is clear to our naked eyes that there was a major dent on the boot and was covered up with a really good paint job, not at Merc authorized centre but at an independent paint station.

E is a nice car, but falls flat in front of the king. For one the LWB looks extremely disproportionate as it’s narrow and long compared to the S which is much wider and looks symmetrical. The ride quality, sound insulation, burmester sound system, the dash layout and the way it drives is noticeably superior to the E in all respects. W222 Black S500 will turn heads like no other merc can and for good measure.

That badge is exactly how it should be, all mercs have it that way, the CDI badging you’re talking about hasn’t been used in years, it will be there on your C class but not on anything newer (A, B, CLA, C, E, S class or any of the crossovers).

Also, take it from someone who’s worked on mercs (and almost every other make out there) every week for many years now, there is nothing wrong that I can see just from that one blurry image. It may be repainted, it may not be repainted. You will need a paint thickness gauge to check with certainty. (You can get one relatively easily from Amazon).

Don’t let one bad experience keep you from all used cars. Yes, you will have to do more due diligence, pay the dealer + your own trusted mechanic to do extensive checks, test drive thoroughly, google known issues with the exact model year and engine combo you’re looking at, but eventually you’ll save a ton of cash vs buying new.

As for maintenance being very expensive, yes it can be, but it won’t be anywhere near 50% of a new S’s price considering you’re getting a 5-6 year S for about 50% of the price of a new one.

Sidenote regarding the 2017-18 S350D: pay special attention to the turbo health, it’s known to have seals that wear out prematurely.

Last edited by AJ56 : 3rd August 2023 at 13:05.
AJ56 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 13:40   #28

Do not buy 2nd hand Mercs. They are pure breeds and need the highway runs to stay in top shape. Always go for a newer model albeit an E vs a S. If the 2nd hand car has highway runs consistently then please get it evaluated especially the suspensions, drive trains, regularity of changes of oils and filters etc., etc. Probably an experienced mechanic along with you during your evaluations and test drives would be a great support. Both cars are fabulous whether a S class or an E class. All the best.
Old 3rd August 2023, 14:09   #29
BHPian

I have travelled in a E and S quite a few times as a passenger. In taxis in Europe while on work assignments.

The E feels like an improved "normal car". I mean yes the seats are nicer etc. but somehow the car feels from the passenger point of view, not very different from say a high end Hyundai.

But the S on the other hand, feels different/special. You feel disconnected from the road and get wafted along. I have not experienced this in any other car.
JediKnight is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 15:27   #30
BHPian

I think it depends on your requirements and sensibilities:

1. Is this car going to be a daily driver, or used occasionally?
2. Self driven vs. chauffeur driven?
3. City vs. Highway?
4. Take back to back test drives. Can you spot sufficient differences in comfort levels and performance ? The S will be obviously better, but how much does it matter to you is a personal thing

All things equal, I would go with an E-class if this is going to be my regular driver, and an S-class if this is going to be chauffeur driven.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks