Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2023, 11:53   #1
BHPian

New Mercedes E-Class Vs Used Mercedes S-Class

Dear all. I am requesting your opinion on this doubt that I have with regards to an upcoming car purchase for my dad. You all are the experts when it comes to cars and I am sure I won't get a better answer from anywhere else. Your humble opinion on this please!!

My dad first bought a new *Merc C Class* in 2013 and he has been driving/riding in it ever since and he has completely fallen in love with the car and the brand. Now almost 10 years have passed and now he feels it's time to upgrade. We test drove a Merc E Class (E 220 d) recently and he came out really pleased with the car and almost decided to go ahead with the purchase when his friend proposed to him the idea of getting a 3-4-5 year old S Class for the same amount of money. His friend told him that a 4 year old S Class (the older generation one) was a much better car than even the new E class. FYI, the on road price for a new E class is Rs. 95.75 lacs (on road - Trivandrum, Kerala).

Since then, we have been really confused about this with opinions supporting either side. Please help us arrive at the best decision.

PS: Since, we have been using a C Class for the past 10 years, we have already found out an independent garage for its maintenance works and we found it to be even better (and undoubtedly more cost effective) than Merc Authorized service center. So, the question of service is not a big issue.
Ashar is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 13:19   #2
BANNED

re: New Mercedes E-Class Vs Used Mercedes S-Class

Hello, Go for a new car, and E-Class is a fantastic car. I may be biased, but I never buy or recommend anyone a second-hand car. There is joy in buying a brand-new car, and this is something that won't be achieved with a used S class. If budget is not a problem, then a new E220d makes sense.
aseem23 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 13:33   #3
BHPian

A brand new car is any day better unless you are getting a certified pre owned Merc with warranty.
Kkumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 14:03   #4
BHPian

My recommendation is to go for new E class. I owned C class in USA and it is just like any other Camry or Accord out there but with a Star. Coming to E class, it is workhorse of Mercedes. It would last a life time. No wonder Mercedes used to sell until recently E class Taxis because of its durability. You can really appreciate the German engineering starting from E class. Coming to S class, it means luxury and status in society especially Black S class.it is OK if you can go for a new S class but a strict NO to used car especially if driven on non high ways which is the most probable case in India. I know the pain I went through owning a Merc as the service charges are extremely high. On a lighter note, it is said that in USA, it is a sin to become sick or have a car which is having issues.
Mystic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 15:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the S Class - for the same budget you'd get a within warranty W222 S Class easily - extend the warranty and enjoy the superior car.

Compared to the E Class - you will get much better rear seat comfort, effortless performance, superlative ride, and superior interior fit and finish.
Plus both the current E & outgoing S are of the same generation, so it's not like you would be getting a newer generation car except some changes like UI, etc.

Of course maintenance would be higher and maybe finding a competent workshop would help - but if you can digest the maintenance cost, it's well worth it!

In case you still decide to go for the E Class, do keep in mind that an all new model is literally around the corner and would be worth waiting for (esp given the scarce discounts).

If your father drives then also look at the BMW 7 series pre-owned, 6GT new.
lamborghini is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Just my personal opinion.

The best/flagship car in the family garage is worth buying as new. It's a bit of celebration and there is a sense of rewarding yourself and the family for the hard work, etc. Even after 10-15 years, I get warm and fuzzy when I look at my family pictures during the new car delivery and early days after the arrival of the new car. The older I grow, the more value these things seem to acquire.

S-Class in particular is a status symbol and everyone in your circles would talk about it. How you bought it matters. You might want to explore the option of waiting for a discounted new S Class during a model change period and stretch your budget.

If new S Class is not an option in near future, go for the new E Class - but pay attention to any upcoming model changes. Unlike in the past, E class LWB has significantly reduced the gap between E and S Class sedans making such a decision a lot to do with "image" than "value".

If it's not for your dad/family but for a young solo driver, I would say a used car from a higher segment is usually a better choice.
androdev is online now   (42) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 17:09   #7

There is definitely a sentiment attached to the Pointed star in your household. If you are convinced it's the Merc which has to be the next car, i'd recommend jumping to the S Class. The comfort and pampering which it will offer will not be comparable to even the latest E class.

This also gives an opportunity to be chauffered around while being seated in business class like seats - the way one should travel (unless you are an enthusiast)

I am personally not a big fan of the styling of the new E but the S class in every generation has always been a looker. It's worth it's price even while standing still in my opinion
NazgulLOTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 17:26   #8
RMN
BHPian

1 important point you need to consider is - How long are you planning on keeping the car?

If you are planning on keeping it for long like you did with the C class, definitely go for a new car. You will have longer warranty plus overall lesser maintenance.

If you plan on changing in the next 5-6 years, go for a used car with warranty.
RMN is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 18:30   #9
Team-BHP Support

I would say get the new E, the newer model will definitely have more feel good stuff compared to say a 3 year old S. Peace of mind thanks to company warranty and maintenance packs. Assuming that the plan is to keep the car for long.
Jaggu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 00:28   #10
Team-BHP Support

Going against the tide, but I would suggest a used S. Its a far superior machine to the E class, and while the spec sheets may not show a large difference, one drive in the S will seal the deal. It is far better built, more comfortable, really seals you from the outside world. A 3 year old low run S class would fit right into your budget, and considering you have a good independent shop wont break the bank either.
Akshay1234 is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 00:46   #11
BHPian

I would put down a few points to consider;

1. Age and Condition: Inspect the used S Class carefully for any issues. [if you got someone experienced it would be much better]
2. Size and Comfort: S Class offers more space and luxury.
3. Depreciation: S Class may hold value better over time. [as most cars/bikes depreciate 40/50% within 5Ys]
4. Personal Preference: Consider what you y & your dad values most in a car.

The most important point, take test drives of both to make an informed choice.
nidhinpr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 10:51   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Mercedes E-Class Vs Used Mercedes S-Class

You can't go wrong with either car, and both are the best-in-class in terms of comfort.

Between the two, I would strongly recommend the S-Class:

- It's the best sedan in the world. Period.

- Think of the E-Class LWB as a 5-star hotel room. Think of the S-Class as a suite at Taj or Oberoi.

- Within your budget, you will easily get a late model W222 still within its warranty period. Take the extended warranty package, and follow our used car checklist (including service history, checking past insurance claims etc.) to the T. Your risk is effectively zero.

- The S-Class air suspension is magic. E-Class cannot come close to it.

- The opulence, luxury & quality of the S-Class is two levels above the E-Class. The E-Class is closer to the C-Class in terms of part quality than the S-Class.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 12:57   #13
BHPian

I would approach this dilemma from a slightly different angle: if your car is going to be driven more on highways, the S-Class would be far superior in comfort. However, if your car will be driven more frequently in the city and for self-driving purposes, the E-Class is the better option.
vishal9999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 19:53   #14
Team-BHP Support

My recommendation is the S. It might be dated but feel the trim, touch the vents and feel the quality. The E is full of metal coated plastics.

Unless the car has workhorse duties, go for the S, keep 3 Lakhs aside for the air suspension overhaul and identify a good FNG

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd August 2023 at 20:53.
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 20:03   #15
BHPian

If maintenance isn’t going to be an issue and you plan to keep it for long, go for the S!
The cabin and ride quality of the S class is way superior to what you’ll ever experience in the E class

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks