Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2008, 21:25   #1

Mercedes Benz GL 320CDI

Hi Guys,

I'm a big time team-bhp reader, and I've looked around to find a post for the GL320 CDI but I didn't find any (apologies if there is one, and I wasnt able to find it!)

I'm trying to figure out how much would it cost (approx) to get one imported. I talked to a company called Magus Cars, and they quoted the price to be about 96 Lacs, but for some reason I find that to be ridiculously high (esp since the US price states it to start at about 54K, and loading it up costs another 15K).

Thanks for your help guys! Also, what other SUV's are recommended that can haul 7 people in comfort?

Thanks!

Cheers,
J
jatinahuja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2008, 22:09   #2
BHPian

hello jatinahuja the GL320 CDI is not built in india when compared to some other merc's. so when they import it as a CBU they will attract duty of 104% i think. so a car which cost 50 lakhs ends up costing 1 crore some thing like that.

but i think it should cost around 85 - 90 lakhs at most fully loaded may be a bit more not 96 lakhs.

you may also check out Audi q7 or check out some minivans like mercedes R Class which are in the same range.

also q7 cost much less than the GL 320 CDi so give that a try

and also posted in the wrong section check the rules.
Old 28th September 2008, 23:05   #3

Oops!

Apologies for posting this post in this section! Mods, can you please move this thread to the right section (i'm assuming What Car?/ SUV, MUV & 4x4's)

Sorry guys!
Old 29th September 2008, 11:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinahuja View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to figure out how much would it cost (approx) to get one imported. I talked to a company called Magus Cars, and they quoted the price to be about 96 Lacs, but for some reason I find that to be ridiculously high (esp since the US price states it to start at about 54K, and loading it up costs another 15K).

Thanks for your help guys! Also, what other SUV's are recommended that can haul 7 people in comfort?

Thanks!

Cheers,
J
My friend bought his GL 420 for about 1. something crores, so i would asume the 320 would be in the range of 90 lacs if bought by a dealer if you get it yourself it would be cheaper. The dealers do add their commision and then Quote a price. Magnus cars is a bit expensive too, even for other cars.
The other car in the 7 seater category would be the Q7, Land Cruiser and the Prado. the Touareg, Cayenne,X5 and the ML are all 5 seaters.

This thread should be shifted to Luxury, Imports & Niche

Last edited by speedy : 29th September 2008 at 11:57.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The other car in the 7 seater category would be the Q7, Land Cruiser and the Prado. the Touareg, Cayenne,X5 and the ML are all 5 seaters.
The current gen X5 is a 7 seater.

I think the Q7 would be most comfortable of the lot to seat 7. Another option you could add to the list is the new LX570, i am not sure if it seats 7?
Old 29th September 2008, 13:34   #6

Thanks!

Thanks guys! Is the LX570 a diesel machine?

I've read most of the articles in terms of importing cars, but as a general consensus..is it a painful procedure? And parts and supplies for imports must be a big pain?

Would you happen to know who else imports them into India (in and around the Delhi area)? Would it be worth talking to Navnit?

The Q7 might be a good choice, because spare parts and accessories would be easier to find. I also kinda like the Mitsubishi Montero and its cheaper than the rest.

What do you guys think?

Thank you all for your help!
Old 29th September 2008, 16:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, in the seven seater league GL is far better than the Q7 or any other players. If you can afford I would recomend to go for the GL. It has been the Motor Trend SUV of the year for two years in a row. They voted it for the 2nd time after using it for a year.

Here is the link to the snaps of a GL420 CDI in Kerala. It has costed them 1+ Crs.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...tml#post831869
Old 29th September 2008, 19:08   #8

I totally agree, the GL is definitely better than the Q7, and a lot more luxurious too, plus I guess the sheer size of it makes it a lot more comfortable for 7 people.

It's just ridiciously to spend 1 C on a car when it is merely 30 L - 40L in the US. Ugh, I guess thats a totally different debate! :-P

Who should I talk to, to get one imported though?
Old 29th September 2008, 21:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

My understanding is that MB local dealer will import any car from the MB line and support it with service and warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinahuja View Post
Thanks guys! Is the LX570 a diesel machine?
LX570 is 5.7 liter V8 petrol. The Toyota version comes with inline 6 diesel, 4.2 liter. After paying 1 crore, you still cannot expect a well fed adult to sit comfortably in the 3rd row on long trips. That is if he or she can manage to get in there.

Last edited by Mpower : 29th September 2008 at 21:36.
Old 30th September 2008, 13:11   #10

ah! merci! i'll call the Mercedes dealer and find out!

Personally, and i know if you spend this much you shouldn't care about fuel economy, but I think it is still important and a diesel engine would definitely be better! My average running is about 100 - 120Kms plus, so it'll make a different :-P
Old 30th September 2008, 14:36   #11
BHPian

I doubt the Mercedes Benz Dealer will import the GL cause it cannot be homologated. The car is built in America and the Type Approval Certificates are not recognized by ARAI. This is the same reason the ML took so much time to come into India. Also the ML cannot be bought as a Individual car and they are selling only 2 variants.

Last edited by Mumbaiya : 30th September 2008 at 14:39.
Old 30th September 2008, 15:00   #12

argh..that brings me back to square one!
Old 30th September 2008, 16:35   #13
evo
BHPian

Theres another company called Dream Cars and another called KAAM Automobiles who claim to import cars under the OGL. I found some of them in ACI in the classifieds there.

Porsche Cayenne at 50 lakh or GL at 1 Cr?

Or maybe a Cayenne and a Boxster instead of a GL!
Old 30th September 2008, 20:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbaiya View Post
I doubt the Mercedes Benz Dealer will import the GL cause it cannot be homologated.
I thought that cars costing over 40K USD do not need homologation?? The importing process is the same, only difference being that MBIL will do it instead of a Choksey or Bagla.
Old 1st October 2008, 01:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Please refer Europe prices for MB, BMW imports.
refer the most accurate pricing guide for imports here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...tml#post801565

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks