Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 16:23   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravchawla View Post
took a test drive of sonata tranform yesterday. it was a manual, diesel,
does not look very tempting from outside..

interiors are ok (better than Embera) plenty of space struggled a bit to find a comfortable driving position.
Torque is good. pick up is also not bad.

back seat is very spacious and comfortable (the best i like about this car)
didnt like the fake wooden thing in the dash

hey have you tried the VW jetta. it 16lacish. its diesel its a VW. it has the DSG auto box. and looks fantastic and classy. why dont you give that a try and see how it goes. have a test ride for the sake of it.
Old 24th March 2009, 16:56   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
hey have you tried the VW jetta. it 16lacish. its diesel its a VW. it has the DSG auto box. and looks fantastic and classy. why dont you give that a try and see how it goes. have a test ride for the sake of it.
Jetta is a segment lower than the Embera but costs as much... thats why!!!
Old 25th March 2009, 13:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Jetta is a segment lower than the Embera but costs as much... thats why!!!
i know its a segment below but i suggested it because it doesn't have the wooden steering thing. it looks cool. you get lots of features which accord or sonata don't offer. that's why!! i think VW and hyundai are in different leagues. thats why!

anyways you should go for the superb then if money is not a prob. things like fake wooden stuff will be there in such cars.and this small things should be ignored. sonata is pure value for money. you cant go wrong with it. i say go for the sonata. from office to home pure nirvana!!!! lolz

it depends on what you want. if you want vfm its hyundai. if you want snob value its accord. if you prefer both then may i dare to suggest the new skoda superb.

Last edited by Caramelo : 25th March 2009 at 13:26.
Old 25th March 2009, 14:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

The Transform has been bought more Here (Hyundai Sonata Transform CRD MT)
Old 26th July 2014, 17:43   #35
BHPian

Buy or Not: Hyundai Sonata Transform 2.4 VVT (Petrol, Manual)

Folks were looking to buy a pre-owned car to upgrade from the 2003 Corolla. And after going through multiple cars, we've almost decided to go for a certain 2009 Sonata Transform Manual+Petrol. I live in Delhi, and the car is in Gurgaon, but has a Delhi registration. We're going to (hopefully) make the deal tomorrow, but I really need your all's advice/guidance before that.

REQUIREMENTS:
  • A good status symbol (So after the Corolla; City, etc. are out of the question)
  • Comfortable/Luxurious Ride + Decent Rear Legroom (Would eventually br driven-driven backseat travel)
  • Nominal maintenance and running costs (Bye-Bye, Laura & Superb)
  • Manual transmission

REASONS FOR UPGRADE:
  • Archaic Car (Even a modern i10 has more tricks up its sleeves)
  • More rear legroom (Would be using a driver, starting a few months)
  • High fuel costs (Rolla is giving 8-9kmpl)
  • Leather seats needed

BUDGET: As low as possible, as long as all checkboxes are ticked.

USAGE:
  • Almost 100% City. In Delhi-NCR + 2-3 trips/yr to Jaipur/Manali/etc
  • Initially self-driven (Me & Dad), but in a couple of months driver-driven
  • Initially <20km/week, but in a couple of months 20km/day + 100km/weekend
  • For comfortable travel, and family vacations (No spirited driving, apart from the occasional overtake manoeuvres)

BACKSTORY
Dad didn't really want to change the car, so I started out looking for 2004-05 Corolla with leather seats and Sequential CNG. (Swap would have had costed less than the Leather Seats on the Rolla).

As the Corolla had already started looking archaic, and the decision to change the car was made, Dad agreed for a later upgrade and I started looking for 2006-07 Civics. I test-drove a couple of them, but after having used the Corolla, Civic didn't feel much of an upgrade. Yes, the dash is *epic*, and the looks are better, but the low-ground clearance (CNG-ed cars scraping on every little speed-breaker), and the low ingress and seating were strong deterrents. (Mom has a joint problem)

Then, after MUCH convincing and the need for hiring a driver in the coming months became foreseeable, Dad finally (sort of) agreed for the 2004-06 Accord; while still not giving me the complete green light!

FASTFORWARD TO PRESENT: Sonata Transform comes into picture
Now, before I ever took an Accord's test drive, I stumbled upon what seemed (and still does) an Amazing deal! A 2009 Sonata Transform 2.4VVT. As it comes, the Petrol-Manual isn't anywhere as old-school as the rest on the list. In facts, its interiors and features are practically 2012-14 standards. While it did go above are stipulated costing of 2.5-3lac (Civics, Accords were available in that range), Dad almost instantly agreed given the "upper model year", and the rest of the package. The car was listed at 4.6lac, and I'm pretty sure the person would settle down somewhere around the 4.2lac-territory. We plan to get a Tomasetto/BRC/equivalent Sequential CNG kit on it.

TEST DRIVE
I was taken aback during the test-drive. Apart from the snail-like acceleration, the car lived up to every bit of my (positive) expectations. The exteriors are immaculate (apart from a few scratches, a little bump on one wheel arch, and another on the bonnet; none so easily visible), and interiors look brilliant and have a decent quality and finish (apart from the flimsy light buttons and those on the steering). Though, the headliner is coming out on the rear end, making it sag, and oddly enough there seem to be paper crumbles inside the lights. But that's nothing, which can't be fixed with some adhesive and an hour in the workshop!

THE PROBLEM
The car does drive like a snail, reaching barely 60-65kmph, where my Rolla would do 80, and 80-85, when Rolla would be well past 100! (Didn't time or anything, just an estimate). Later I test drove a Manual Diesel priced at 8.5lac by a dealer, just for comparison sakes, and that was only marginally better. So, I guess this ain't a real problem (except for the enthusiast in me, that is)

THE REAL PROBLEM
The car in question (2009 Sonata Transform 2.4 VVT Manual Petrol) though drives very smoothly, makes a very heavy *thump* sort of a sound whenever it passes over potholes and speed-breakers. It feels as if the car literally has a tonne of weight stuck into its boot! (I checked, boot was empty )

DETAILS:
Make, Model & Variant : 2009 (Aug) Hyundai Sonata Transform 2.4 VVT (Manual, Petrol)
Owners : 2* (We'd be 3rd)
Driven : 62000km
Condition : Good/Excellent (Apart from the *REAL PROBLEM*)
Insurance : Expired
Quoted Price : 4.6lac

*According to the seller, the car was some Hyundai Exec's official car for the first 3 years of its life. The current seller is selling due to changed job profile demanding daily travel of 100+km, and lives in Gurgaon (Says only 2-3 CNG Pumps, takes 45+min/refill)

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED
I'll definitely be following the TBHP 'Used Car Buying Guide' to the word, and some other precautions which I deem necessary. I'll have it checked at a Hyundai Authorized Service Station (they're asking just 550, which raises questions on the amount of work they'll put into it).
The heavy thump noise, the expired insurance, and the low price certainly does raise eyebrows about the legitimacy of the deal (at least for myself and my folks). Is there any other precaution/check that I should do? How exactly to determine if the car is accidental or has been involved in a police case?
What does this thumping sound indicate?

How is the reliability, maintenance, and repair of the Sonata Transform?
And the larger question, should we even go for a Sonata Transform? From what I've read on the forum, it seems like a decent and reliable car. But, the guy at the service centre as well as at Ghai Motors (Major stockist in Delhi) advised against it for its uber-expensive and rarely-available spares. How true/accurate is that? Would it be a better choice to rather go for the 2004-06 Accord? (It's cheaper by a whole 1.5lac too)

Really looking forward to everybody's help. Would really appreciate if Transform owners could pour in a few insights.

P.S. This is my 5th/6th post I guess, so pardon me, if I flouted any guidelines/forum code.
Old 26th July 2014, 22:57   #36
BHPian

Re: Buy or Not: Hyundai Sonata Transform 2.4 VVT (Petrol, Manual)

Forgot to put the "QUESTIONS TO OWNERS" part.

1. Is the car reliable enough to be held till 2019 (10 years from manufacture) and 1lac km?

2. What are the major repairs/replacements, I'm looking at during this period?

3. What are the service costs likes? (Examples would help)

4. How expensive/cheap are spares compared to a 2006 Civic or a 2006 Accord? (10-15% is fine, shouldn't be double)

5. Are spares available at all? I live in Delhi, and I can do with 15-20 days waits, but can't have the car stalled for months at end.

6. Any specific points/parts to check before I seal the deal?

7. Apart from checking Insurance papers for any claims, and having at checked at Hyundai A.S.S. (and following TBHP Used Car Buying Guide), anything else I need to do?
Old 26th July 2014, 23:17   #37
BANNED

Hello,
All i can say is stay away from this car. It seriously doesn't make sense going in for a 2nd owner 62k kms done CNG Sonata. This car already has some problems as mentioned by you. I am sorry to say this but when people add CNG to cars like accord/sonata i feel sad for the cars. All you are doing is saving up the running cost/km which you will end up paying when it comes to the maintenance. You just eliminated the Laura/Superb because they have high maintenance cost, but you will spend the same amount on this car. My friend's garage in Pune gets quite a lot of such cars. The engines need to be overhauled at 70-75k kms, even after that the cars keep giving some problem.
My suggestion is to check out the Diesel Sonata you went test drove for the comparison. My frank suggestion is to look for some more options and decide on a diesel sedan.

Asit
Old 26th July 2014, 23:44   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Hello,
All i can say is stay away from this car. It seriously doesn't make sense going in for a 2nd owner 62k kms done CNG Sonata... ...

Asit
First of all, appreciate the reply.

Probably I didn't make myself clear.
The car is currently with the 2nd owner, first being a Hyundai Senior exec, and it is NOT on CNG. 'We' plan to get CNG on it, but it's currently Petrol Only.

And apart from that "Thump" noise, the car is in excellent condition (Interior, Exterior, Driving). Dare I say, "As good as new."

And just to be sure, Are you advising not to go for a "CNG-ed Accord/Sonata", or not go for the Sonata Petrol?
Old 26th July 2014, 23:58   #39
BHPian

Let me answer your questions. I have previously driven a Hyundai Sonata and like the overall ride quality. The 2.4 engine is a gas guzzler so you may expect the same mileage figures (in tune of 8-9kmpl) as your present car. Given that you will be the third owner of the car, I suggest you should look out for second owner cars (since the car may have been put to rough use by the other two owners).

A Honda/Toyota of current make would make a much wiser choice given the high ASS of Hyundai and the cost of ownership in the long run. Moreover Honda/Toyota are safe bargains in the used car market any day given their rock solid stability and availability of spare parts. If you are still interested to go in for this car:

1. Check entire service record.
2. Get the car evaluated from 2-3 good mechanics.
3. Shop around for more deals in the used car market.

Make your choice wisely. If I would have been at your place, I would have picked up an Accord or another Corolla for instance.
Old 27th July 2014, 06:06   #40
BHPian

Re: Close to a decision - Hyundai Sonata Transform EDIT - Now Bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
My baleno has been around since 2000 and i have been wanting to change it for while. Been looking around for something to upgrade to...
I assume you've cracked some decent mileage by now! Could you please elaborate on the Car's reliability, and major parts/repairs you have to had done on the car?

I'm looking to buy a Petrol Transform, and going to see a cracker of a deal today. So needed final opinions from owners. Also, any specific things I should check about the car?

Complete details here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ol-manual.html
Old 27th July 2014, 09:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
Let me answer your questions. I have previously driven a Hyundai Sonata and like the overall ride quality...
First of all, thanks a lot for the reply

Gas Guzzling is one dirty little thing all my options (Corolla, Civic, Accord, Sonata) have. I'd have to get a (Sequential) CNG anyway. '
And isn't the A.S.S. of Hyundai good? Besides, since the car would be out of warranty, it'll be service and repaired at a (good) 3rd party workshop anyway.
I understand the poor availability of spares as well!

What I'm concerned about, and what I'm restlessly trying to search is "Is the Petrol Transform a reliable car?" I mean, I can live with the car being down for a month once or twice during my ownership, but I definitely can't be sending it to the workshop every other month.

I'll check the Service Record (Though, I doubt he'll have it), and have it checked at Hyundai Authorized Service Centre.
Deals I have scouted, and this seems to be the best one out there! Apart from that "thump" sound, the car is 100% fine inside-out. What I'm looking to find here are "Specific Areas/Parts than need to be double-checked"
Old 27th July 2014, 10:27   #42
BHPian

If you are concerned about specific parts of the car, as I have said get the car thoroughly evaluated from 1-2 good mechanics. They will be able to point out issues if any (with suspension, tie rods, etc). With the budget you have, I don't know why you are not doing for first owner cars. Beats me.

Otherwise for 2009 manufactured car, there is less probability of things going wrong (specially with a Hyundai). Then again I would have preferred a 2007/08 Honda over this deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilj View Post
First of all, thanks a lot for the reply

Gas Guzzling is one dirty little thing all my options (Corolla, Civic, Accord, Sonata) have. I'd have to get a (Sequential) CNG anyway. '
And isn't the A.S.S. of Hyundai good? Besides, since the car would be out of warranty, it'll be service and repaired at a (good) 3rd party workshop anyway.
I understand the poor availability of spares as well!

What I'm concerned about, and what I'm restlessly trying to search is "Is the Petrol Transform a reliable car?" I mean, I can live with the car being down for a month once or twice during my ownership, but I definitely can't be sending it to the workshop every other month.

I'll check the Service Record (Though, I doubt he'll have it), and have it checked at Hyundai Authorized Service Centre.
Deals I have scouted, and this seems to be the best one out there! Apart from that "thump" sound, the car is 100% fine inside-out. What I'm looking to find here are "Specific Areas/Parts than need to be double-checked"
Old 27th July 2014, 11:42   #43
BHPian

Hi Nikhilj, I have Sonata Embera MT for now past 8 years. Driving experience has been superb. No issues in getting parts. Hyundai A.S.S. has been consistently good. Transform certainly was improved variance. For the price, it is a good value for money. Enjoy!
Old 27th July 2014, 11:47   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
If you are concerned about specific parts of the car, as I have said get the car thoroughly evaluated from 1-2 good mechanics. They will be able to point out issues if any (with suspension, tie rods, etc). With the budget you have, I don't know why you are not doing for first owner cars. Beats me.

Otherwise for 2009 manufactured car, there is less probability of things going wrong (specially with a Hyundai). Then again I would have preferred a 2007/08 Honda over this deal.

I *WILL* get the car checked, but somehow I don't trust these service centres, etc. that much. (They told me (just) 550 bucks for the checkup!)

And, trust me, NOTHING of D2 is available in this budget. The next cheapest option I have is 5.5lac 2008 or so Accord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaman View Post
Hi Nikhilj, I have Sonata Embera MT for now past 8 years. Driving experience has been superb. No issues in getting parts. Hyundai A.S.S. has been consistently good. Transform certainly was improved variance. For the price, it is a good value for money. Enjoy!
Did you have to get any major (10k+) repairs/parts done during your ownership?

Last edited by ajmat : 27th July 2014 at 16:34.
Old 27th July 2014, 12:08   #45
BHPian

My uncle (thauji) picked up a second-hand Sonata Embera automatic 3 years back. He converted it to CNG immediately after getting it. He is very happy with the car and has no plans of disposing it off any time soon.

Hence I think that if you are getting the car at a good price and you are satisfied with its service history, then you should very much buy it.

All the best. Do keep us posted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks