Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2009, 09:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

buy the 530d change to tubeless and trust me both your head and heart will be happy. Do get the maintainence pack though. Later once you get bored chip it.
Old 16th October 2009, 12:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOBOSpeedster View Post
Anyway, at this point, the only thing that would deter me is a BMW 335 and they are not here or coming. Know anyone with a second-hand one?
He He .. I'm amazed we have so similar mind thoughts. I am also waiting for the 535d as it was somewhere posted in this forum. If not 535d then 3.0 TDI it should be. 530d is more practical I'd say but then its more head decision that you do not want obviously from your posts.
Old 16th October 2009, 13:24   #18

New player in the field

Guys, a new player seems to be entering the fray. i just got off the phone with a close source at Mercedes who says the new C230 with some mods by MKB (a bunch of ex AMG guys) might be a close competitor performance wise. the website is MKB-Tuning.de. They claim to have a packahe that can get this baby upto:
Increase in performance to 190 kW (258 HP) at 6500 rpm, 275 Nm at 2900-5600 rpm
modification: high performance camshafts with valve spring,
exhaust manifold s/s, sports air filters, adaptation of ECU

Tall claim, but all this for less than the a4 3.0 TDI? plus it will be lighter than the A4. But im sure the A4 will have less maintenance hassles. Not quite sure about the warranty yet.

Any thoughts?
Old 16th October 2009, 14:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

A self driven car considering your driving mileage I say go in for the A4 do not think, else you will get confused. Only thing here is that you can get and will get a good discount. The car will keep you happy for long time. WCI package: I am not too sure except the 17inchs. I love to move my seat according to my mood

I would have chosen 530d but that is for different reasons I will be driven more than driving myself.
Old 16th October 2009, 20:15   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i just got off the phone with a close source at Mercedes who says the new C230 with some mods by MKB (a bunch of ex AMG guys) might be a close competitor performance wise.
I've driven the C230 and ended up yawning. That engine has zero enthusiast appeal (give me the C220 anyday). The car costs 37 - 38 lakhs anyways, add the MKB mods you are talking about & pricing will go dangerously close to A4 3.0 / 530d territory.
Old 16th October 2009, 21:21   #21
BHPian

Aren't Volkwagon the parent company of Skoda?

Am I wrong in saying that Volkswagen owns both Skoda and Audi and if so I suggest you take a hard look at your heart decision and go by the mind and have the BMW in your garage. If the Skoda effect trickles even a bit into AUDI then you are in for hell.
Old 16th October 2009, 21:36   #22

I would imagine the Mercedes C class, BMW 3 series, Ford Mondeo, VW Passat, etc would be direct competitors to the A4.

@drpullockaran, I would imagine it being quite unlikely Audi customer service would be as bad as Skoda's. Audi is generally pretty well renowned. VW owns Bentley too.
Old 16th October 2009, 21:45   #23
BHPian

The Skoda effect does not trickle into Audi. They may be group companies but more than different brands they are distinct companies, with distinct target audience and tastes. However i do have a few issues with Audi as of today which should get resolved asap.
Old 16th October 2009, 23:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've driven the C230 and ended up yawning. That engine has zero enthusiast appeal (give me the C220 anyday). The car costs 37 - 38 lakhs anyways, add the MKB mods you are talking about & pricing will go dangerously close to A4 3.0 / 530d territory.
completely. The C230 would not do a thing for you, after seeing the choice you have made. If it were chauffered i would give it a thought. If it is to be self driven and like you are open to even Modding the car i would say test drive the 325i as well. This car is a monster for sure. It can keep you on the edge even on the 4 km run/drive, not speed mind you. The mods for this car are unlimited and easily available. I went by my heart and boy am i glad i did.
Old 17th October 2009, 02:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
entropy, thanks for the advice. However, chipping it will be a risky affair for the first few years since the warranty will go for a mighty toss. any advice on chips?
Umm. I'm not sure how risky. My experience is fairly limited but anyways I have gone ahead and chipped all my diesels that includes a Q7.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...ed-now-q7.html

These can be easily removed. I'm using chipexpress ones without any issues so far but I understand Petes also provides one though with much lesser aggressive PS/Nm setup.
Old 17th October 2009, 10:27   #26

Hey Guys. Happy Diwali and New year to start with.

I test drove the C230 and the Audi 2.0 Turbo petrol yesterday. You are so right, yawned and didn't stop yawning from the time I got into the C class to the time I got out. probably even had some bed head before coming out. the 2.4 liter V6, even if modded to the max, wouldn't be any good. I am sorry to say, but the car feels more JAPANESE than GERMAN. Sad

Anyway, Next up was the Audi 2.0 TFSI. Boy oh boy, its an absolute monster. Believe it or not, for the first time, it feels like Audi has woken up. It was responsive, fairly quick and the ride was amazing. Feels good to be in the cockpit, very driver oriented. Since it was a friends (and the friend didnt mind), i pushed it hard. The tail was actually drifting on U turns etc, but got back into line fairly easily and gripped the road quickly again. Plus it felt like AN AUDI!!!! Steering is lighter than most Audi's I have driven, but SOLID SOLID SOLID. I cant even imagine what the 3.0 TDI QUATTRO is gonna be like.

I lightly drove the 525i as well. i think its a great car and definitely more spacious. Call me crazy, but i dont think it drove as well as the A4. Maybe by this point i am biased. I think i am going to drive a hard bargain on the A4 3.0, hopefully get it for a couple of lakhs less, which would make it decently priced. I think the WCI package is nice, but not worth 4 lakhs. Im gonna have to man up and WAIT for as long as it takes to come, but i think it will be worth the wait.
Old 18th October 2009, 01:33   #27
BHPian

It sure will. You got the exact car i was gunning for. Sadly, it was not up for sale when i made my purchase.
Old 20th October 2009, 15:06   #28
BHPian

Did you book your A4 3.0 TDI yet ? Would love to know the 0-100 figures and the ownership experience.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:07   #29

Hey Guys,

Sorry for not having posted for a while. I am probably going to book the A4 3.0 TDI today. Im meeting the Audi guys in the afternoon. The only sad part is that they are quoting end Feb delivery at the earliest!

Cant wait to get behind the wheel

Will keep you guys posted on the status.
Old 9th November 2009, 19:56   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am probably going to book the A4 3.0 TDI today.
Congrats on a stonker! The sheer torque will blow your mind away.

Quote:
The only sad part is that they are quoting end Feb delivery at the earliest!
Unusually long. What's up? Imported-to-order?

How much on the road?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks