Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 13:59   #61
Senior - BHPian

Wow! I am a fan of this car. There was a gentleman in Germany who used to track the car every week. He did have few minimal mods and the car used to run circles around 3s/Cs and even a heavily modded E.

Waiting for the pics

Cheers!
Old 1st February 2010, 10:11   #62

Hey Guys..

Just got done with a weekend of test driving the V8.. and I am soo glad that I found this car and that the A4 3.0 got delayed!! It is an absolute monster!!

It is a nice car to drive in Normal mode through traffic.. and an AWESOME car in sport mode on open roads. Getting up to 130-140 on mumbai roads, NOT the sea link or marine drive.. all the diesel lovers needs to take this car for a spin.. naturally aspirated V8 power is unbelievable. Great handling, suspension and brakes! Even tested it with the Traction Control off.. but I dont think I should talk about that here ()

Also, the comfort seats make a whole lot of difference, and the fully loaded idrive make the whole experience amazing. The only downside of this car would be the downside of any 4 liter V8 - Fuel efficiency.. I get between 4 and 4.5, but WHO CARES!! Will consider it THRILL EXPENSE!

Since I was so busy driving all weekend, didn't get time to take pics.. but I definitely will soon and post!

I am most definitely a Beamer fan now! PS: 3rd Gear between 4 and 5k RPM is the best ZONE EVER!
Old 1st February 2010, 11:38   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOBOSpeedster View Post

I am most definitely a Beamer fan now! PS: 3rd Gear between 4 and 5k RPM is the best ZONE EVER!
In two words: Automotive Nirvana !!

Do post a video or sound clip if possible so we can hear the V8 !
Old 1st February 2010, 21:46   #64
BHPian

Congrats on the awesome machine..

Does this engine has any relation\similarities with the //M V8?
Old 4th February 2010, 09:17   #65
Senior - BHPian

great buy SOBO ....happy for you. do post pics soon.

Your 540i specos got me wondering though...an e60 4 ltr V8 churning out 302 hp with 375NM of torque is undoubtedly great but the new F10 5 series 535i with a 3.0L in-line six churns out 302hp as well with 300NM of torque....all this with a "SINGLE TURBO"....yes...single ! wonder how....seems quite an acheivement.
Old 4th February 2010, 10:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

Good buy . But in the way of competitors in performance not really but in terms of price , i think there is one serious competitor The New E class 250 cdi also manages an impressive torque figure of 51kgm and the added advantage is its really spacious and is also a class higher.
Just my thought.
Old 4th February 2010, 10:45   #67
BHPian

How on earth is the E class a 'class higher' than the 5 series?

No one with any remote interest in performance would ever choose an E class over the 5 series, especially the piddly 250d engine over a BMW V8.

The 540 is just an awesome car, with really no competition in that class - leaves the E and the A6 some way behind. The clear differentiator - Handling.
Old 4th February 2010, 10:55   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant03 View Post
How on earth is the E class a 'class higher' than the 5 series?

No one with any remote interest in performance would ever choose an E class over the 5 series, especially the piddly 250d engine over a BMW V8.

The 540 is just an awesome car, with really no competition in that class - leaves the E and the A6 some way behind. The clear differentiator - Handling.
i think hes comparing the e class to the a4 3.0.

but i think the a6 3.0t should be right on the 540s tail if not a bit quicker.
Old 4th February 2010, 11:22   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
i think hes comparing the e class to the a4 3.0.

but i think the a6 3.0t should be right on the 540s tail if not a bit quicker.
Put Speed97 in both cars and the 540 will eat it alive ! Regardless of the timing, the V8 growl itself would shatter the A6
Old 4th February 2010, 11:29   #70
BHPian

Not to mention handling. That is where the 540 goes way ahead.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:28   #71

This is the way I look at it and this influenced my decision:

The car being compared to all is the 540i I bought:

1. E250 CDI - Dont think I even need to compare this one.. 200 horses has the deisel engine 500NM torque, but it is so short lived that you will be yawning again in a couple of seconds after its done. In a speed race - I think after 5 minutes in the 540i, I could stop to take a piss and the 250CDI will stop not catch up. Class higher.. maybe if I was 60 and had to meet my retired friends when the driver was driving.

2. F10 535i - This will be one hell of a machine. The turbo vs naturally aspirated V8 could be up for discussion once the car is test driven. I didnt want to wait that long or pay that much.. god knows how much it will cost.

3. A6 3.0TDI - Not much competition again.. MUCH MUCH SLOWER

4. A6 3.0 TFSI - Now this would definitely compete, but it costs close to 60 lakhs and that awfully close to some really great cars. Audi handling on this car is great. Also, it looks so "middle aged businessman" that you can even picture 2 kids in the back going on a family vacation. Just didn't like the car enough to shell out that kind of money.

Last of all.. V8 is a V8. Some might like smaller engines with turbos, I like this one. Cuz let me tell you.. when your in sport mode there is virtually NO LAG TIME!!

So basically, the F10 535i or for that matter the world famous 535d will definitely be amazing cars, but we gotta wait and see the prices. If you have a bigger budget though.. the Jag XF is DEFINITELY the car to go for! (might be irrelevant but comparing to the 540i)

Let me know what you guys think
Old 4th February 2010, 13:15   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Last of all.. V8 is a V8
. Some might like smaller engines with turbos, I like this one. Cuz let me tell you.. when your in sport mode there is virtually NO LAG TIME!!
that sums it up. no replacement for displacement.

OT - i have seen the car a few times before you bought it. dont you find the rims a size or 2 small?
Old 4th February 2010, 14:11   #73

Well said Akshay

Well, They are 17s with Mich Pilot Preceda Tyres. I think any bigger and the ride might get affected. I drive to my factory which is near Kolhapur.. and some of the inside roads are not the best. Plus, even the highway although smooth for the most part has some rough areas. 700k back and forth.. so dont want the ride quality also to suffer too much.

Any advice on tyres as and when i change them?
Old 4th February 2010, 14:41   #74
Team-BHP Support

better be careful of the fuel quality in rural areas. it might not suit the v8 very well. about tyres, i think there will be many better options depending on what your looking for.
Old 4th February 2010, 15:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the way I look at it and this influenced my decision:

The car being compared to all is the 540i I bought:

1. E250 CDI - Dont think I even need to compare this one.. 200 horses has the deisel engine 500NM torque, but it is so short lived that you will be yawning again in a couple of seconds after its done. In a speed race - I think after 5 minutes in the 540i, I could stop to take a piss and the 250CDI will stop not catch up. Class higher.. maybe if I was 60 and had to meet my retired friends when the driver was driving.

2. F10 535i - This will be one hell of a machine. The turbo vs naturally aspirated V8 could be up for discussion once the car is test driven. I didnt want to wait that long or pay that much.. god knows how much it will cost.

3. A6 3.0TDI - Not much competition again.. MUCH MUCH SLOWER

4. A6 3.0 TFSI - Now this would definitely compete, but it costs close to 60 lakhs and that awfully close to some really great cars. Audi handling on this car is great. Also, it looks so "middle aged businessman" that you can even picture 2 kids in the back going on a family vacation. Just didn't like the car enough to shell out that kind of money.

Last of all.. V8 is a V8. Some might like smaller engines with turbos, I like this one. Cuz let me tell you.. when your in sport mode there is virtually NO LAG TIME!!

So basically, the F10 535i or for that matter the world famous 535d will definitely be amazing cars, but we gotta wait and see the prices. If you have a bigger budget though.. the Jag XF is DEFINITELY the car to go for! (might be irrelevant but comparing to the 540i)

Let me know what you guys think

Its way too early to comment on the approximate pricing of the 535d as its not even sure if this car will hit the Indian shores. People have been very happy with the 530d;s performance besides which, this 3.0L diesel mill with all its torque is good enough to even keep the rival's latest marvel (w212) behind it, so if practicality has the upper hand, (which it well could in our country), there is no reason to immediately get the 535d to India...lets say maybe late late 2011 or so?......

Now...about the F10 535i , well iv done a lot of research on it already as we r planning to buy it sometime after it hits the Indian market. the w212 e350 has been priced at somewhere around 47lakh ex-showroom Mumbai and considering BMW will look at pricing the flagship fiver competitively , you could well assume that it would be priced somewhere in the 46-48 lakh bucks bracket ( it would obviously vary a bit here & there depending on the packages , variations etc the customers opt for)
Anyway, this price tag is tentatively being assumed considering that the f10 528i ( same as current 530i) would be priced well at around 44-45 lakhs. Dont know howmuch value these statments would hold when the f10 actually releases though...

All said, you didnot want to wait and you were getting an absolutely scintillating beauty for a reasonable price so y not???? i repeat..good buy for sure !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks