Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 01:05   #16
BHPian

Here is the expected look derived from an actual photo of a camouflaged F10. Say what you want but I think I'm going to miss the aggressive styling of the E60. This one looks too bland and soft from most angles.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 3-series and 5-series - next generation?-f10_v4_3.jpg  

Old 7th November 2009, 01:06   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can't stretch and can't wait for a 1 year(minimum) or 1.5 years(max) before they launch the F10 here then get the 520d now and get it done with.

The reason being that release dates of the F10 in india is speculative at the moment and anyones guess. Even if the car is here earlier than expected it certainly is unlikely to launch with a 520d engine as more exp variants are chosen during launch and smaller engines later. Example is the E class's recent launch with the least popular and most premium engine- E350. This gimmick helps the new luxury model build a better brand image.

Also if u wait past Jan u might miss the year end discount of 3.5 that you are currently getting. Only other option for discount later would be march end to get a hefty discount. That way again you'll be waiting 5 more months.

It's a catch22 situation but my advice still would be get the 520d now as it's most logical decision IMO. Don't let anxiety kill the cat

Last edited by Sahil : 7th November 2009 at 01:07.
Old 7th November 2009, 14:54   #18
BHPian

I would like to second Sahil on the 520d.

You may not get the same discount of 3.5 Lacs next year.
Besides the F10 5 series would probably make it only by end 2010 or early 2011 and there's no saying whether it will come with the 4 cyl. diesel engine.

I have the 320d and the 530d highline.

I would have to say that the 520d is the best of both worlds !!
Old 7th November 2009, 20:38   #19

@khan75 - the picture you have posted seems a little different from the one issigonia had posted a few days back. Maybe its a different angle but i agree with you, the F10 looks a lot less aggressive than the E50 in this pic.

@Sahil - Ideally i don't want to wait, but if i really like the F10 i can defer my decision for an year. And you said it right, to maintain the luxury image of their cars, BMW/Merc usually launch their best of the engines (read.. expensive) in new generation cars. Though it seems logical for the germans, it isn't the best thing for us buyers.
Even if i decide to buy the 520d, i guess i should wait till the time BMW launches the new 5-series in international markets. FYI, the dealer has given me time till mid-december to decide on the 3.5 lacs discount on the 520d.

@ecclipse78 - 520d does seem to be the best of both worlds and the price seems to be right for me (35 lacs OTR Gurgaon). but i am still not able to pull the trigger .
Old 9th November 2009, 20:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

InfinityG37_fan, Please i'll bow down on my knees and beg you do not get the current 5, wait for 6 months, BMW India is not like MB India, they will launch engines etc. at launch and you will love the new car, it will make the E60 look and feel so old, not only visually but also the amount of effort BMW has been putting into the F10 to make it a lot more Agile,Dynamic etc etc. Please trust me you will have your new 520d (or replacement designation) by diwali or before diwali next year, please just wait!

And to try convince you further BMW just launched it's first F10 teaser site, Gorgeous isn't it? Imagine if this is how the teaser is, how the real car will be?

BMW 5er Limousine (2010) : Multimedia Special
Old 12th November 2009, 00:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
InfinityG37_fan, Please i'll bow down on my knees and beg you do not get the current 5, wait for 6 months, BMW India is not like MB India, they will launch engines etc. at launch and you will love the new car, it will make the E60 look and feel so old, not only visually but also the amount of effort BMW has been putting into the F10 to make it a lot more Agile,Dynamic etc etc. Please trust me you will have your new 520d (or replacement designation) by diwali or before diwali next year, please just wait!

And to try convince you further BMW just launched it's first F10 teaser site, Gorgeous isn't it? Imagine if this is how the teaser is, how the real car will be?

BMW 5er Limousine (2010) : Multimedia Special

+ 1 to that

As the new E class has been launched and it looks quite good, BMW will also not delay in launching the new 5 series. InfinityG37_fan, if I were you, I would wait too.

But one more thing to consider is that it is always a gamble to buy a new car in its 1st year of its production run as it may have have problems, issues which get ironed out in later years.
Old 12th November 2009, 15:40   #22
BHPian

IMHO, if you can wait till about Jan-Mar 2011, then wait for the new F10- it will be a superior package as compared to the E60. The Jan-Mar 2011 timeline is a realistic timeline, considering the possibility that BMW go the Benz way and launch only their top of the line 5 series model to create a buzz first, with the bread and butter models to follow. Suffice to say that in India the turbo-diesels of the lower displacement engines will be big sellers.

Looks are a completely subjective matter, again IMHO, the F10 looks more grown up/mature/clean as compared to the attention grabbing style of the E60-BMW seems to be moving away from the Bangle era.

Quoting the following from Motor Authority ( the emphasised portions here might be relevant for the Indian customer): Most of the planned changes are skin-deep. Under the new sheet metal, BMW will continue with its new found love of turbocharging. The new 4.4L twin-turbo V8 from the recently revealed X6 is expected to appear in a range topping model, while more turbo-diesel variants are expected to join the lineup as well. BMW is currently developing its second generation common rail system for its diesel powerplants, which will operate at greater pressure for improved performance. The transmission systems will include a six-speed manual and a six-speed Steptronic semi-auto gearbox, however a new eight-speed unit from ZF is also expected to be available.

Performance will also be improved thanks to the extensive use of lightweight materials including carbon-fiber and aluminum. The car’s construction will be a hybrid of an aluminum spaceframe for the front section, and a traditional steel monocoque for the passenger compartment and rear. This will ensure a favorable front-to-rear weight distribution and improved handling. Up front will be an independent suspension with MacPherson struts, with a multi-link layout for the rear. High-performance models will include carbon-fiber body panels to shed even more weight.

P.S. : I was referring to the new Benz E Class in my last post; sorry missed out on the clarification till now.

Regards
Old 12th November 2009, 16:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

These are the year end deals that happens to be from every car manufacturer.
Better go for 530d than 520d. since the new one is getting released in end of 2010.
Worth the price difference.
Old 12th November 2009, 23:03   #24
BHPian

Switching of tyres on BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Get the 520d its worth the price difference.
----------------
The F10 5 series will probably be here no earlier than mid 2011 IMO.
@Sahil - Is there a huge improvement in the ride quality by switching to normal tyres? Also - Should they not have given some extra discount, given that the run flat cost much more than the tubeless?
Old 13th November 2009, 08:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think a lot of you are assuming only because Mercedes-Benz launched the E350/E350 CDI first, BMW will follow the same route? Not really, Infact I think some of the smaller engines from the E class were launched recently in Germany / Rest of the world so I guess they also had some delay in getting those homologated. (Im not sure about this)

Also do remember BMW has been very aggressive in how soon they get their cars to our shores, whatever the timeline be considering the car (F10) launches in less than two weeks, I seriously hope they have some of them on display at the Auto Expo 2010.

This car will blow everything in the segment!
Old 13th November 2009, 10:30   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishkashyap View Post
@Sahil - Is there a huge improvement in the ride quality by switching to normal tyres? Also - Should they not have given some extra discount, given that the run flat cost much more than the tubeless?
Yes it is a huge improvement. Run flats cost more but they are hard to resell even as new because there are no buyers in the open market for them. The dealerships do not buy back the tyres themselves, they get it done from a third party tyre store.

They gave me Michelin Primacy HP in exchange which are pretty pricey too so I didn't even bother fetching more discount, it was a fair deal.
Old 14th November 2009, 13:57   #27

@S350L-E240 - I'm definately gonna wait till Jan/Feb 2010 to take my decision. I know i might miss upon the discounts currently being offered, but the F10 looks too tempting to ignore. the only problem is that if BMW doesn't offer the lower powered/priced engine rightaway, then its gonna be difficult for me to wait for the F10. you are right that i'm assuming that BMW will go the Merc way and not launch their lower discplament engines but that seems the most logical thing to me; though i wish it doen't happen that way. Also, the teaser ad looks really good .

@Ramsagar - i agree that 530d is a better car in terms of performance. But as mentioned in previous posts, my budget is 30-32 lacs with 35 lacs being the higher side. I can stretch 3-4 lacs more if i get the F10 once its realeased (though i know i'll have to wait for the lower discplacement engine since BMW would not launch it straightaway). But i really dont wanna pay more for the 530d.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:43   #28
BHPian

Just two more days for the official unveiling of the 5. Can't wait to see what the real thing looks like
Old 24th November 2009, 00:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sir, This is your car, and if you buy anything else i'm going to hire a hitman and send him your way,

Please believe me this car will only cost 1-2 lac more in similar trims, you can just FD your money and make up the difference
Old 24th November 2009, 00:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

And to make matters nice for you, Autoexpress says the UK Base MSRP for the 520d is only 725 pounds more which means like I said before this car will not cost a lot more then the outgoing E60 variant and you will have a lot better and newer car and trust me equipment levels will also go up and ofcourse for next 7 years you will drive the best mid size luxury sedan and now the car comes standard with start/stop which means the fuel consumption will be a lot better.

For all this would you now even bother with E60? or W212?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks