Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2010, 07:33   #1
BHPian

Can one get a lightly used MX5 in India?

WHats the scene like in INdia for buying an MX5? Anybody know how much a 1994-1997 first generation model with low miles and mint condition sell for?
Old 20th June 2010, 22:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

A T-bhpian had bought an used mx-5 and restored it,forgot his name though.This must be in the modifications section,you should chech it out.
Old 21st June 2010, 18:54   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Harbir,

Check with Varun, he was contemplating on selling his MX-5 (Link to his thread).
Old 6th July 2010, 22:01   #4
BHPian

HEY harbir, i sold mine recently. I had restored it completely , only the air mass sensor was defective and the clutch was defective. There is one red colour one for sale in ludhiana. fair condition asking for 7 lacs and another one at choksi motors in mumbai ( ka reg ) but papers are dicy. Stay away from it. Its very rare that you come across a mint car. I had to spend 2 lacs on my car and yet wasnt satisfied mechanically. Plus the spares are a big problem. Anyways would let you know if i come across something interesting.
Old 6th July 2010, 23:53   #5
BHPian

a mint condition with hard top and aftermarket wheels sold for 8.50 lakhs in mumbai some time back.
Old 31st December 2010, 15:50   #6
BHPian

re: Can one get a lightly used MX5 in India?

howdy folks. Sorry to revive a long dead thread, but I have now returned to India permanently from the US and am now seriously looking for a nice MX-5. anybody know of any? any tips on how to hunt for one? thanks! PS. I am very familiar with MX-5s and can rebuild one from the ground up so even if it has mechanical issues, that would not be a problem, if I can't find a minty one. what I would want minimally is one that is structurally sound with a good body, no accidents, etc. I intend to rebuild it with a Flyin' Miata Turbo kit, clutch, brakes, Flyin' Miata AFCO coil overs, etc, so I will be looking into importing all the necessary parts anyway, and if the car needs to be fixed up, no problems. but obviously I am looking for the best possible condition car. What kind of papers should the car have? what would I be looking for?

Last edited by Harbir : 31st December 2010 at 15:55.
Old 21st March 2011, 23:41   #7
BHPian

^^ There is a KA reg 1993 mx5 miata yellow available in bangalore. NOC can be arranged. The person is quoting 6.5 Lacs. Check ur PM.

Cheers.
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:53   #8
BHPian

I still have not found an MX-5. The one nithesh mentioned was sold before I ever got a chance to touch it and I never heard back from him about the other one he said he knew about.

anybody hear of any for sale since this thread was last updated?

thanks!
Old 25th June 2011, 17:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...---Miata.html/

this is what varun_m restored, sold it and it has been on sale from the moment it was sold.
Old 26th June 2011, 13:59   #10
BHPian

Thank you. I have tried to contact the seller of this car but have received no response. I have sent an email again. I will also make a phone call.

I guess I should hunt up what varun-m did to this car.
Old 28th June 2011, 03:11   #11
BHPian

whats with the bad paint jobs and ugly body kits and spoilers and big heavy wheels these cars attract in India? the miata is extremely sensitive to unsprung weight. miata enthusiasts buy wheels and tyres that shave mere grams, they buy lightweight lug nuts to save 100grams of unsprung weight.

You can't sell a wheel to a miata enthusiast without publishing its weight. 10-11lbs is typical and a 13lb wheel will be hard to sell. the OE BBS wheel costs $1000 each today and people pay it because it weighs 8.8lbs, vs say $200 for a 9.9lb wheel. And with good reason. the car's delicacy, fluidity over the road and steering feel and responsiveness are very sensitive to unsprung weight. and here in india I am seeing miatas loaded down with road roller wheels and tyres.

Lousy paint jobs too. Either strange two tones or have the tie down hooks and the lovely chrome door handles painted over, and fitted with crappy body kits that will leave holes in the metal if removed.

It is looking I will not find a miata in original condition and I will have to buy the most original one I can find and then restore to originality myself.

Varun's car looks like my best choice. It will need its wheels and tyres replaced at a minimum, but it looks the most respectful of the originality.

Last edited by Harbir : 28th June 2011 at 03:26.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 10:00   #12
BHPian

Hey, I think you are absolutely right. Finding a "Mint" MX5 / Miata will be close to impossible. I went through 2 sub-standard miatas and 5 years before getting a close-to-pristine example. I currently own 2, the yellow one mentioned earlier in the thread and another that is in good shape but needs some work. A big advantage you have is an intimate knowledge of the car and the ability to work on it yourself. You will have a hard time finding a mechanic that knows these cars or is willing to put the time into learning about its vagaries before jumping in and giving you a "chalta hai" job. I regularly download detailed information and instructions from Miata.net and work with the mechanic to sort out issues. Will definitely let you know if I come across something. Let me know if you need any help sourcing parts. There are limited parts still available in Mumbai.
Ragtop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 10:30   #13
BHPian

Ragtop, thanks for the offer. If you come across any cars, please let me know (I will send you my email ID via private message), and if you ever decide to sell either of your cars, please consider offering them to me first. and yes, I wouldn't dream of letting a mechanic in India touch a miata. I would do all the work myself right down to rebuilding the engine or gearbox if necessary. I didn't realize there were parts available in India. I am expecting I will be importing all the parts I need.

Last edited by Harbir : 28th June 2011 at 10:31.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:58   #14
BHPian

As far as I know, it was only the NA (89 to 93) versions that were imported in numbers into India. I am aware of only one post 1997 car in India and none of the 94-97 cars. About parts, its been a while since these cars were imported so the local availability of parts is depleting, however, mechanical parts are available (brakes, suspension etc) but cosmetic parts (top, panels, interior, rubber etc) is impossible to find locally.
Old 28th June 2011, 13:19   #15
BHPian

so how come only the 89-93 cars were imported? was there somebody who just did bulk import of these cars in that time frame along with parts?Was there a rule change that ended import in 1993? what part of the country are most of these cars found in?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks