Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 13:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmol89 View Post
@ acidkill, I don't think that the Viper, Corvette or Mustang are available in RHD, which are allowed on Indian roads. Please let us know if such is not the case...
The Viper in India was imported when the LHD laws were relaxed. The new Corvette C6 and the Mustangs are both converted to RHD and brought into the country. I would frankly not recomend a converted car as the cost for conversion is expensive and if it is not done right, the car would be a nightmare. The simplest thing is walk into a showroom and buy a car, this ensures i have service backup and warrenty. I would not like to see my car for the tiniest of faults standing for months at end till the parts come down and to find a reliable and honest person to fix the car.

I would go in with a pre owned M5/ XF-R/911 (prefered turbo). A brand new M3/ cayman S. I believe a new 911 base model on road is above 1 cr. The same goes for the Jaguar XF-R. You could check with Shreyans Second hand car showroom at worli, they have two Pre owned 911 turbo's with them one is a cabriolet.

Last edited by speedy : 26th August 2010 at 13:40.
Old 4th September 2010, 20:09   #47

Hey all,

Thanks a ton for all of this. After some introspection I have realized that I really would like the 911 eventually and don't want to "settle" for anything else in the meantime. However, I don't think I'm ready to buy it yet (more out of regard for what I have heard about Porsche India rather than affordability, the "1cr" is pretty flexible for me). Until most aspects of their Indian presence becomes comparable to their standards in the West I will not be comfortable in making a purchase from them.

However, one car that I have started really liking (as I have mentioned earlier) is the E coupe. A family member test drove it recently and they really liked it. (I am not in Bombay right now and won't be for a few months) Now, I understand that it is not comparable to the cars we are speaking about here. But that's exactly my point. I'd rather have a relatively sharp looking car that's not part of this segment for a few years until I eventually get my dream car from this segment a few years from now rather than getting something from this segment now.

As always, would love to hear what you guys think and appreciate all the suggestions so far.

Stay well,
Old 6th September 2010, 12:11   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7447 View Post
Hey all,

Thanks a ton for all of this. After some introspection I have realized that I really would like the 911 eventually and don't want to "settle" for anything else in the meantime. However, I don't think I'm ready to buy it yet (more out of regard for what I have heard about Porsche India rather than affordability, the "1cr" is pretty flexible for me). Until most aspects of their Indian presence becomes comparable to their standards in the West I will not be comfortable in making a purchase from them.
I dont see them improving for a long time, but there could be a miracle. I would say go in for a Pre owned 911 turbo which would save you your hassles of being uncomfortable dealing with the showroom and plus you would get a great car at a lesser cost.

Quote:
However, one car that I have started really liking (as I have mentioned earlier) is the E coupe. A family member test drove it recently and they really liked it. (I am not in Bombay right now and won't be for a few months) Now, I understand that it is not comparable to the cars we are speaking about here. But that's exactly my point. I'd rather have a relatively sharp looking car that's not part of this segment for a few years until I eventually get my dream car from this segment a few years from now rather than getting something from this segment now.
The E coupe is a wonderfull car, It is sharp and would be different from the rest. It cost appx 64-65 lakhs on road Mumbai and if you like the wind in the hair then the Cabriolet is also available at 75 odd Lakhs on road Mumbai. The engines are not speced more than the E350 sedan for both cars. I would call these a sensible buy as you can use them as daily drives, they would look sharp and drive you in total comfort. The shape is not going to change for a long time now. Th other main point is they have a very good service backing. I would say go for it.

Last edited by speedy : 6th September 2010 at 12:13.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:34   #49
BHPian

Straying a wee bit off topic, but not completely as this was mentioned here and I won't start a new thread for it.

What are the hassles of dealing with Porsche India? I ask this because we just TD'd a Panamera, and could set the deal in stone.
Old 6th September 2010, 22:20   #50

Speedy - your post accurately reflects my thoughts on this. Agreed that there's no saying whether/ when things will change on Porsche India front. I would like to believe in miracles in this case though! Until then, I think the E-Coupe is a practical and sharp choice and am glad to receive confirmation of the same from others. If I go down this route I'm likely to book around Dec - I would not go for the cabriolet though as I prefer the glass roof. I believe we were quoted in the 70s but may be mistaken.

Saarth - I would not mention my reasons and opinions as they would sound libelous considering that they are based off of conversations with owners rather than my own experiences and hence I would be unable to substantiate or stand by them. What I have heard though has been unimpressive and stands in direct contrast with my impression of Porsche's image elsewhere in the world. Having said that, their experiences may or may not be representative of the broader experience of purchasing from/ dealing with Porsche India and their mgmt. However, their reasons and opinions were enough to turn me off, until things change... substantially.

However, I am confident there are broader posts or first hand accounts on the issues surrounding Porsche India somewhere on team bhp forums. Could someone more informed redirect Saarth (and myself) to these? Thanks for all the help guys.

Best,
Old 6th September 2010, 23:19   #51
Team-BHP Support

You must go through this thread. It might be of some help!

IMO, do not brush of the 911 Carrera just yet. From what I've heard, Porsche's after-sales-service is pretty alright in India. If you're adamant about going in for something else, the only other options are the BMW Z4 and the M3.You could check out the Nissan 370Z; but I suggest you go in for something European if you're ready to put down 1 crore!
Old 7th September 2010, 12:35   #52
BHPian

Thank you 7447.

suhaas - I did go through that thread, and well the 7 months waiting period was... Nevermind, but also that was the case because of the model change that year, with the 2009 model coming in. Is it still like that, since the 2009 model is now the standard and been in the market for a while?
Old 7th September 2010, 18:32   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
suhaas - I did go through that thread, and well the 7 months waiting period was... Nevermind, but also that was the case because of the model change that year, with the 2009 model coming in. Is it still like that, since the 2009 model is now the standard and been in the market for a while?
Well, I'm not sure of the procedure and the waiting-period. Someone with more experience on this should be able to assist you. But my hunch is that you should get one pretty quick unless you're fussy with the options-list. It might even boil down to the shade you pick! It all depends on the dealer in Mumbai.

EDIT: the new 997 II has been spotted on the streets already and it has been in the market for sometime now, so I don't think you'd need to wait long!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2010 at 18:34.
Old 19th September 2010, 08:54   #54
BHPian

Post deleted by Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th September 2010 at 19:36. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the post.
scorp 1 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th September 2010, 22:52   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
What are the hassles of dealing with Porsche India?
Get in touch with BHPian doctorque. He works for the Porsche Center Mumbai and is a thorough car guy. I have no doubt he'll take good care of you.
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

7447, I suppose I am really late to reply but assuming you will wait another 8 months or so for the car do realize the new 6 is out and will be on sale by the time you are ready to make your purchase, and looking the the concept which is pretty much 95% production ready the car should be a beauty and with BMW India, service also should be great and also within reach in most parts of India.

Another car that comes out around your time frame is the new SL, a brand new model and considering the SL has never really disappointed the new one will only be another leap ahead for the SL which always have been very potent. Considering the current car has been around since IAA 2001, and it still sells and is highly regarded of. (Will need to verify the exact time of launch for the new model as some say 2011 and some say 2012, will get some better confirmation and reply)

911, while the car needs no introduction do note that by the time you are ready to buy the car the new 998 model should be launched or close to launch so I'd say you might want to delay by few more months as the new quality of Porsche is getting really good and I do remember reading in another forum that it is a whole new platform.

Some more cars which will be all new by the time you decide to buy it are the SLK which I think launches in March 2011, and if you look at the spy shots it is quite close to the SLS in terms of how it looks and which means it only will be a blast to drive.

( I don't know much about pre-owned cars but I believe some months back in Ahmedabad there was a blue Gallardo for sale and asking price was close to 1.3 Cr)

But out of all I really think you should pick between the 911 or the new SL depending on their time frame of launch.
Old 27th September 2010, 20:34   #57
BHPian

1. Z4 ({+} Mean looks, awesome exhaust note, great dealership network, decent ownership cost..{-}Bumpy ride,Boot space wouldn't allow you to go on a cross-country trip, confusing paddle shift)
2. M3 ({+}V8, {-}GDN, cost of running would be fairly high considering Rs.80/L- for 95octane)
3. XFR (V8 grunt, interiors...{-} not half as good as Germans read "reliability,Steering")
4. 911 Carrera, Cayman S (Nothing comes close to a Porsche in many ways, {+} a design which may go on n on n on n never get enough of it, unmistakable exhaust note, {-} high octane fuel )
May be off-beat but try your hands on a Porsche Cayenne S, Switch to sports mode , sink your right foot for a LOUD heavenly answer.

Happy Shopping
Old 16th December 2010, 09:04   #58

Re: Looking for a sports car (limit: ~1cr on road)

Not sure if I should have started a separate thread for this but wanted to keep some continuity here. After some introspection I have decided to delay my purchase of the sports car (eventually the 911, hopefully) until 2011 for several factors. In the meantime, I will be in Bombay March onwards and wanted to buy a sedan. I will be home in December and wanted to test drive worthy contenders. Wanted your thoughts on the new 530d or any others in the segment.

Criteria this time around is very simple - almost 100% self drive car, in the 40 - 60L price range.

Apologies for completely changing what I'm looking for, your input so far has not gone to waste - It allowed me to narrow down on the 911 for 2012 in case that gives some comfort!

Old 16th December 2010, 11:17   #59
Team-BHP Support

Probably best to start a new What Car thread for this (search first though, since im sure it must have been discussed).

Also, take a look at the official reviews of the F10 (and the W212 ?) if you haven't seen em already.

cya
R
Old 16th December 2010, 12:54   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not sure if I should have started a separate thread for this but wanted to keep some continuity here. After some introspection I have decided to delay my purchase of the sports car (eventually the 911, hopefully) until 2011 for several factors. In the meantime, I will be in Bombay March onwards and wanted to buy a sedan. I will be home in December and wanted to test drive worthy contenders. Wanted your thoughts on the new 530d or any others in the segment.

Criteria this time around is very simple - almost 100% self drive car, in the 40 - 60L price range.

Apologies for completely changing what I'm looking for, your input so far has not gone to waste - It allowed me to narrow down on the 911 for 2012 in case that gives some comfort!

Since its self drive, why not look a segment lower, at say the Audi A4. Its bigger than the 3 and the C and yet smaller than the 5 etc so it will be easier in Mumbai traffic. You can get one of the two brilliant 3l engines too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks