Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2010, 21:32   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul016 View Post
Well i will like to blame you for this flyingspur.I use to read your thread daily and the JOY OF BMW grew on me.I will like to know how's the gearbox of the 320d.Is it similar to DSG or better.Please tell me any important stuff which you consider essential when buying this car.
It's very good for what it is. Don't worry. Tiptronic provides for some pretty sporty driving You won't get paddle shifts, that's all.

Quote:
The most important thing is that is there any new 3 series in pipeline?
Of course, that's one of the only reasons not to go for a 3 right now, if resale value is very important. There will be a new one late next year or early 2012 for sure. Another way of looking at it is that reliability-wise, the E90 is pretty well sorted now, given that it's almost at the end of it's life cycle.
Old 17th September 2010, 09:13   #92
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i saw this episode too and I am bound to say I agree with this assessment of the Skoda Superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I watching the Fifth gear on Discovery turbo some time back. They were comparing it to C-class, they said it's a thinking man's luxury car. They rated the build and quality better than some germans.
Old 17th September 2010, 13:02   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGAVADY View Post
Thanks Eclipse for the information.Does the steering control for the blue tooth work if we retrofit the kit?How much does it cost for it at technocraft.
Can we fit a DVD system in this bolero head unit itself at technocraft?The orignial columbus kit in UK cost 1500 sterling
Skoda UK Skoda 'Columbus' Sat Nav System - AAN800001
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in posting the pics. I had broken my foot 2 months back and was waiting for the fracture to heal.

I am attaching a picture showing the Navigation option fixed in my Superb.

Will try and post more pics tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Superb VS Passat which is better.-superb_navi.jpg  

Old 18th September 2010, 12:33   #94
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i saw this episode too and I am bound to say I agree with this assessment of the Skoda Superb.
The Superb makes cars like the C Class & 3 series seem naked, pointless. Skoda's limo offers more space, a better equipment level and about the same build at a lesser price! The only three reasons I can think of someone overlooking the Superb for a C Class / 3 series / A4

- Badge. This is probably the main reason

- Self-driving. Whenever I drive the Superb, I feel like a chauffeur . Its a car that's only meant for being chauffeur-driven on the backseat. The C & 3 offer superior dynamics and are a lot more fun to drive

- Skoda's shoddy after-sales service
Old 6th October 2010, 14:17   #95
BHPian

So any update on your decision? I am with GTO regarding the pros and cons of Superb.
I was in Czech Republic last month and sat in many superbs. Must say I was really impressed with the leg room and the level of quality all around. Its the best car for India in this category except for the shady service.

But really, if we compare 3 series and Superb I think its only the badge on the BMW that wins. In the long term I think you should really invest in the Superb and later you can even sell it (I expect the resale to be quite ok for the first two-three years) and then invest in a better BMW or Mercedes, Audi etc.

What do you think?
Old 6th October 2010, 15:21   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Self-driving. Whenever I drive the Superb, I feel like a chauffeur . Its a car that's only meant for being chauffeur-driven on the backseat. The C & 3 offer superior dynamics and are a lot more fun to drive
I never felt the urge to keep a driver for myself until the Superb came, I just love it's back seat. But unfortunately I am self driving it 80% of the times.
However, plonk her into S mode and meet her split personality, boy does she beg to be ripped. I never used the S mode often but of late I am sort of addicted to it, ofcouse the FE goes for a toss but the sheer magic of the DSG comes alive. I found the 525d in S mode aggressive but I wonder what a BMW with DSG would be like, maaaadness !
Old 13th June 2012, 12:27   #97
BHPian

Re: Superb VS Passat which is better.

Am reviving an old thread I know....looking at the 2012 Passat vs the 2012 Superb!

The car will be 70% driver driven and 30% self driven - city with some highway (maybe 2 times a week Bangalore to Shimoga and return or Bangalore to Coimbatore and return).

Will be putting some miles on it - in April and May, did 6000kms and 8000kms respectively. But that will probably reduce to maybe 4000Kms to 5000Kms per month.

Help and advice please - which to buy?

Is there a new Superb around the corner?

Thanks,
Manas
Old 13th June 2012, 12:51   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
The car will be 70% driver driven and 30% self driven - city with some highway (maybe 2 times a week Bangalore to Shimoga and return or Bangalore to Coimbatore and return).
If you can stretch for it, I'd recommend the new Passat Highline with the massaging and ventilated seats, and a whole lot of other equipment available on it. Engine is also in a higher state of tune. The rear is comfortable and has adequate legroom. Plus, I personally think it looks better and is more proportionate. If rear legroom is the single most important thing for you, then maybe you would have to look at the Superb keenly and might find it better.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 13:04   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Help and advice please - which to buy?

Is there a new Superb around the corner?
Please list your expectations, requirements etc in detail so that BHPians can suggest you a car.

Passat scores at-
More powerful 170hp TDI engine.
Better Equipment levels especially the Auto Parking feature.
Better Ride with Softer setup suspension.

Superb scores at-
Rear seat space is Limousine class.
Stiffer suspension and Feelsome steering make it more connected to driver.
Cheaper price.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 13:23   #100
BHPian

Thanks for your advice and additional details (Anshuman and FlyingSpur).
Price is not the issue - Am locked into either of one these cars - not looking at any others at all. Whichever one we get will be the top end version only. Originally our budget was for 25K, but didn't find anything worth that much, so moved to the Superb/Passat.

Have test driven the Superb, and liked it. The rear is luxurious and the vehicle was fun to drive. It is like a boat though. And does not have as many party tricks as the Passat.

Not driven the Passat, but a couple of friends who own the Superb both recommend the Passat over the Superb!

I was at the showroom this morning and liked the Passat a lot. It seems a bit more compact with less legroom than the Superb in the rear. Liked the breathable front seats with the massager. Will probably test drive one this evening.

(BTW we already have the Yeti in the family which is why we looked at the Superb)

The vehicle will be used to drive to work and back about 40Kms round trip every day with one or two long distance trips (250 to 300Kms one way) every week.

The difficult part is to explain requirements. Ideally should be comfortable for 4 to 5 people and the back seat especially should be comfortable. On highways should be able to handle 160/170 which we do in our City and the Yeti.

The vehicle will be kept for at least 7 years (our current City is 7 years and 1.6lakh Kms done), so not really interested in great resale value. But also why I asked if there is any new version coming out soon.

Thanks again guys!

Manas
Old 25th June 2012, 11:32   #101
BHPian

Just an update...have booked the Passat Highline DSG A/T and delivery is by end of this month (June 2012).

Thanks for your advice and input all....

Manas
Old 5th August 2012, 10:57   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Just an update...have booked the Passat Highline DSG A/T and delivery is by end of this month (June 2012).

Thanks for your advice and input all....

Manas
Congratulations! Did you get the Passat delivered? Would love to see an ownership review with a lot of pics as i am thinking about an upgrade.

Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 16:23   #103
BHPian

Hi, I too would love any information you can provide on the Passat Highline DSG. I am going to be booking a car by September, and am investigating various options like the merc c250 cdi and the bmw 320/520d. The Passat is my frontline choice though.
Old 26th August 2012, 18:51   #104
BHPian

Hi, my first post there, though I have been following Team Bhp for a few years now.

I'm trying to choose between the Superb and Passat as well. The car will be 70% chauffeur and 30% self driven , and will do not more than 1000kms/month, of 90% city driving. I was initially looking at a 17-19L budget and was considering the the Jetta TDI, but the stiff rear seats are a slight let down and the price of the Comfortline Jetta is pretty close to the Superb. Hence, my budget only stretches to the MT versions of the Passat or Superb. Choices being (after discounts):
1) Superb TSI Ambition MT: 20L OTR
2) Superb TSI Elegance MT: 22L OTR
3) Passat TDI Trendline: 24L+ OTR

The obvious choice would be the stripped down Superb Ambition, but the lack of ESP has put me off, hence I am choosing between the Superb Elegance and the Passat Trendline. The price difference between the two is about 2-2.5L but considering the Passat is diesel, the overall ownership costs even out. I am yet to see a review of the Trendline and yet to TD it myself. My thoughts:

1) The Superb is feature packed, whereas the Passat Trendline is completely stripped down and doesn't even have parking sensors or Electronically adjustable seats or controls on the steering wheel. I can live with those shortcomings though.
2) The Superb has an amazing rear seat whereas the Passat has nothing special about it. On the other hand, the Passat supposedly has a better ride quality (will confirm this once I can TD them properly).
3) The Passat feels a little more refined and better built, though the difference is very small.
4) The Passat looks a bit more sporty and newer, whereas the Superb looks a bit older and limo-like. The Passat can be mistaken for a Jetta or Vento to the untrained eye, whereas the Superb has that distinctive 'expensive car' presence.
5) My main concern is that the Superb has been in the market for 3.5 years compared to the 1.5 years of the Passat. If I want to keep the car for 3-4 years, the Superb might be outdated by the time I want to sell it, whereas the current version of the Passat might have a few years left at the time.

I am yet to extensively TD both the cars so don't have any concrete opinions on the differences in drivability yet. Can still consider the Superb Ambition, but expect a car in that category to have ESP.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!
Old 28th August 2012, 00:28   #105
Senior - BHPian

@ ac-cobra

For your requirements I would definitely suggest a Superb Tsi over the Passat TL. The Passat TL is too stripped for the price it is being offered at and is highly highly over-priced - no xenons, no parking sensors, no touch screen audio, no retractable ORVMs, no sun-roof, etc. Also why is ESP that big a deal breaker for you when 90% of the times your are going to be driven around within city limits. The ESP will only help at higher highway speeds and that too when the car loses control or when it is being driven by a lunatic. There are far too many pros than cons for the Superb.

You could also consider the Jetta TSi/ TDi once again since it has almost identical rear legroom to the Passat and has fantastic driving dynamics for the 30% of the time you would be driving.

Just curious as to why did you not consider the Accord/ Sonata/ Teanna/ Camry as you don't mind buying a petrol sedan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks